Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread  (Read 61325 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread
« Reply #350 on: October 24, 2023, 07:50:39 AM »
I think it's important to note that a) it was a charity event (for Duran Duran's Andy Taylor) and b) Plant has recently softened on his reluctance over that song, and he attributes it to watching Ann and Nancy Wilson play it with Jason at the Kennedy Center. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #351 on: October 24, 2023, 10:13:10 AM »
Plant went through a period of not wanting to do Stairway to Heaven?  I mean, it makes sense.  Years after going solo and trying to establish other career directions, lots of people just want to hear Stairway.  Did he and Page ever do it, when they were doing their duo "un-led-ed" thing?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #352 on: October 24, 2023, 10:15:57 AM »
Plant went through a period of not wanting to do Stairway to Heaven?  I mean, it makes sense.  Years after going solo and trying to establish other career directions, lots of people just want to hear Stairway.  Did he and Page ever do it, when they were doing their duo "un-led-ed" thing?
I don't think they did.

His stated reason for avoiding performing it is that current-him can no longer relate to the somewhat gibberish lyrics that then-him came up with for that song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #353 on: October 24, 2023, 10:38:48 AM »
Interesting.  I'm reminded again of the controversy surrounding the lyrics to that song when it first came out.  Obviously the concept of buying your way into Heaven, or a stairway or other means of expedition, would offend some people.  As the story goes, Plant and Page were at Page's house, Boleskine House (former home of Aleister Crowley, said to have dabbled in the Dark Arts), and Page was playing the riff and the lyrics just came to him (Plant).  That's because the demonic spirits were speaking to him, and everyone knows that demonic spirits speak backwards, which is why you have to listen to the recordings backwards in order to understand what they're saying.  And if you listen to the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven backwards, you hear him singing the praises of Satan.  It all fits!

Or maybe it was just some gibberish words that Plant came up with which he can no longer relate to.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #354 on: October 24, 2023, 10:59:23 AM »
I was so happy to see Robert Plant sing "Stairway to Heaven." If it ends up being the final time he does so live, very cool. He sounds great, particularly at his age.

I know it's not his favorite to perform, but he steps up and does things for the right reasons -- in this case, charity. He generally stands by his convictions, and I admire that.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: October 24, 2023, 01:02:55 PM »
I don't think they did.

His stated reason for avoiding performing it is that current-him can no longer relate to the somewhat gibberish lyrics that then-him came up with for that song.

To my knowledge, he never played it solo, and they only did it once as Page & Plant.  It's a regular in the Zeppelin setlist; Zeppelin has played five times since Bonham's death, and they played Stairway three of those times (Live Aid, Atlantic Ceremony, and O2; they did not play it at Jason's wedding or at their HoF induction). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #356 on: October 24, 2023, 02:48:24 PM »
Interesting.  I'm reminded again of the controversy surrounding the lyrics to that song when it first came out.  Obviously the concept of buying your way into Heaven, or a stairway or other means of expedition, would offend some people.  As the story goes, Plant and Page were at Page's house, Boleskine House (former home of Aleister Crowley, said to have dabbled in the Dark Arts), and Page was playing the riff and the lyrics just came to him (Plant).  That's because the demonic spirits were speaking to him, and everyone knows that demonic spirits speak backwards, which is why you have to listen to the recordings backwards in order to understand what they're saying.  And if you listen to the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven backwards, you hear him singing the praises of Satan.  It all fits!

Or maybe it was just some gibberish words that Plant came up with which he can no longer relate to.
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: October 25, 2023, 02:11:46 PM »
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a biography of Led Zepplin?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: October 25, 2023, 03:28:39 PM »

You want facts or all the dirt?  The latter is "Hammer Of The Gods" by Steven Davis.  The former? Harder, but probably "When Giants Walked The Earth" by Mick Wall.

Offline HOF

« Reply #360 on: November 09, 2023, 12:39:00 PM »
I didn't realize this was a mystery, but it has apparently been solved.

Mystery of ‘Stick Man’ on Led Zeppelin album cover finally solved
https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/09/style/led-zeppelin-album-cover-mystery-solved-intl-scli-gbr/index.html

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: November 09, 2023, 01:26:23 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/09/style/led-zeppelin-album-cover-mystery-solved-intl-scli-gbr/index.html

I saw that.  Isn't that neat?

Offline HOF

« Reply #362 on: November 09, 2023, 01:30:32 PM »

I saw that.  Isn't that neat?

Old Lot Long could have never imagined that his likeness would one day be immortalized like that. You couldn’t have explained it to him if you were a time traveller.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #363 on: November 09, 2023, 02:34:54 PM »
Waiting for the descendants of Lot Long to sue Led Zeppelin...

:lol

Cool that the mystery is solved though. I never really gave who the man was much though though, if I'm being honest.

Been a bit since I listened to Led Zepp IV. Gonna crank it now.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #364 on: November 09, 2023, 03:13:28 PM »

You want facts or all the dirt?  The latter is "Hammer Of The Gods" by Steven Davis.  The former? Harder, but probably "When Giants Walked The Earth" by Mick Wall.

I went through my big Zeppelin phase sometime in the '86-'88 range, and that included reading Hammer of the Gods.  I (then 19-21) was absolutely mesmerized and thought it was just an incredible read.  I didn't hear about all the alleged factual inaccuracies until many years later.  Whether factually accurate or not, it certainly was entertaining.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #365 on: February 11, 2024, 12:16:06 PM »
Not even sure why, but for some reason I was wondering if there were any high quality covers of Stairway to Heaven. Something that just modernizes the sound mostly. I came across an awful one by Dolly Parton and Lizzo, but this one by Mary J. Blige and Steve Vai is pretty good. Love her voice on it, and it’s even maybe a little more proggy than the original. But I do prefer the acoustic half of the song and kind of wish it hadn’t gone as over the top orchestral in the second half. Vai’s solo is also kind of meh. Interesting listen though.

https://youtu.be/dCGq_sowcts?si=4OHKLyaK3pOH-Fby

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: February 11, 2024, 02:00:39 PM »
To me the best Led Zep covers are done by Heart, not the most modern of bands but they kill it. I love this version of Rain Song:

https://youtu.be/FeiNnRINW_8?si=AhW56hTn3cq0KT_u

Offline HOF

« Reply #367 on: February 11, 2024, 02:19:31 PM »
To me the best Led Zep covers are done by Heart, not the most modern of bands but they kill it. I love this version of Rain Song:

https://youtu.be/FeiNnRINW_8?si=AhW56hTn3cq0KT_u

Yeah, I know Heart do some good LZ covers. Ann Wilson has one of Stairway that is also really good, though it also veers a little too far into the orchestral territory in the second half.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #368 on: February 11, 2024, 02:50:53 PM »
Stairway To Heaven is one of those songs where no cover version is going to do it justice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #369 on: February 11, 2024, 04:04:33 PM »
Stairway To Heaven is one of those songs where no cover version is going to do it justice.

https://youtu.be/2u-PjvRyr0I?si=oS3lLKoaYs6x60aI

Except that Heart performance. Incredible. That song in front of that audience?! Watching Plant in tears and Page jumping about... Heart absolutely nailed it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #370 on: February 11, 2024, 04:05:50 PM »

Except that Heart performance. Incredible. That song in front of that audience?! Watching Plant in tears and Page jumping about... Heart absolutely nailed it.

Maybe I should watch it.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #371 on: February 11, 2024, 04:08:04 PM »
The Heart performance at The Kennedy Center was very good.  It was marred by the fact that they felt the need to cut out a verse or two.  I hate that.  Either play the song, or don't.  Fuck playing "most" of the song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #372 on: February 11, 2024, 04:09:16 PM »
Maybe that's why Plant was in tears..

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #373 on: February 11, 2024, 04:10:04 PM »

Maybe I should watch it.  ;D

Have updated my post with a link

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #374 on: February 11, 2024, 04:10:33 PM »

:rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #375 on: February 11, 2024, 05:33:42 PM »

Any chance you've watched the performance?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #376 on: February 11, 2024, 05:39:33 PM »

I stated earlier that I hadn't.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2024, 05:39:54 PM »
The Heart performance at The Kennedy Center was very good.  It was marred by the fact that they felt the need to cut out a verse or two.  I hate that.  Either play the song, or don't.  Fuck playing "most" of the song.

It was edited for tv, the full song is on YouTube

https://youtu.be/LFxOaDeJmXk?si=IAmiBOWdAPcrZsD9

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2024, 05:42:48 PM »

I stated earlier that I hadn't.

It's really well done. YouTube it. It's so well done.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #379 on: February 11, 2024, 05:44:52 PM »
I will.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #380 on: February 11, 2024, 07:29:12 PM »
The Kennedy Center version, with Jason on the kit, is legendarily good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: February 12, 2024, 07:22:19 AM »
I don't care for hyperbole much, but that version of Stairway, in context, is about as good as it gets in terms of interpretive musical performance.   

Plant has talked about the reaction and in typical Plant fashion, "it's complicated"; I don't think it was the song itself, but rather the fact that what they created has spanned generations, and to see their friend's son doing that work justice...   it's a beautiful moment, and historically, Heart has serviced the Led Zeppelin material with the proper mix of reverence and extrapolation.   The main mistake - IMO -- of Zeppelin covers is that they play it too literal and too note-for-note.   The beauty and magic of Zeppelin when they played live was that it was fluid, it was interpretive, it was all based on feel, primarily the ebb and flow of the interplay of Page and Bonham. That was the special sauce.  IMO, Heart has done the best job of balancing that (though I've remarked that Matt Cameron nailed that essence in the live version of "Achilles Last Stand" at the Temple Of The Dog show I saw at MSG.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #382 on: February 12, 2024, 07:30:29 AM »

I didn't realize it had been edited, so thanks for that.  I've seen the link posted here and there and people raving about it, and I never bothered because I always get so annoyed with shortened versions of songs.

In that case, fuck editors who think it's okay to skip part of a great performance of an iconic song.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #383 on: February 12, 2024, 02:24:55 PM »

This isn't the full song, though.  It omitted:

"And it's whispered that soon
If we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn
For those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #384 on: February 12, 2024, 03:15:58 PM »
That sounds about right.  I remember singing along with it, and suddenly they were in a different place in the song.  I hadn't noticed an edit, but I suppose a really good editor could have hidden it.  I'm glad I didn't bother with the YouTube version, if it's still not the whole song.

So we're back to where we started.  It's an eight minute song.  Why cut out 30 seconds of it?  Why cut any of it, if the point is to honor those who wrote it?  Either play the song, or don't.