Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread  (Read 60519 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread
« Reply #245 on: August 20, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »
As a matter of fact, I listened to III today while not having listened to Zep for a good while, and it's Plant's birthday today.

It's ALWAYS a good time to listen to Zeppelin.  If not for Hats off to (Roy) Harper, III would be my top Zeppelin album.  Replace it with the Immigrant Song b-side (Hey Hey, What Can I Do?), and it would be hands down.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Mladen

« Reply #246 on: August 21, 2013, 03:41:07 AM »
Hats off is good, and III is a great album overall. I think I even like it better than II, maybe even IV.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #247 on: August 24, 2013, 07:32:12 PM »
I was just thinking earlier today about what it must have been like when the first Led Zeppelin album came out and how unabashedly primal it is.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2013, 11:54:56 PM »
I was recently at a downtown Manhattan dive bar called The Patriot shooting some pool with unsavory types and inhaling pitchers of cheap beer when some genius hit the jukebox for a string of Zep tunes. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #249 on: October 16, 2013, 05:59:39 AM »
And on the subject of III, its also got Since I've been loving you, which is probably a top 5 LZ song for me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #250 on: October 16, 2013, 02:09:48 PM »
Led Zeppelin is awesome.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #251 on: October 16, 2013, 02:22:54 PM »
And on the subject of III, its also got Since I've been loving you, which is probably a top 5 LZ song for me.

Probably my all-time favorite LZ song. It's either that or No Quarter.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #252 on: October 16, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: October 16, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
I was recently at a downtown Manhattan dive bar called The Patriot shooting some pool with unsavory types and inhaling pitchers of cheap beer when some genius hit the jukebox for a string of Zep tunes. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Who are you? Please report to the Newb thread!
 :biggrin:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #254 on: October 16, 2013, 10:00:51 PM »

Who are you? Please report to the Newb thread!
 :biggrin:

I'm just an old DTF fogey who, not to brag, has a 1st pressing of Led Zeppelin III which has the words 'Do what thou wilt' etched into the vinyl (as instructed by Jimmy Page).  :)
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #255 on: October 16, 2013, 10:15:50 PM »
Wow, I have a really old copy of Led Zeppelin III, but I've never heard about the etching.  I should look.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2013, 10:35:13 PM »
Wow, I have a really old copy of Led Zeppelin III, but I've never heard about the etching.  I should look.

Check it! A copy in good condition fetches a decent price on eBay. Not that I'd ever sell it.

'The first pressings of the album included the phrases "So mote be it" (not to be confused with "So mote it be".) Then later on included the phrase "Do what thou wilt", inscribed on the lacquer itself by engineer Terry Manning during the final mastering process.[citation needed] This phrase is identical to one in the core tenet of Aleister Crowley's philosophy of Thelema: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will. There is no law beyond do what thou wilt." But it also the same as a portion of a variant of the Wiccan Rede. Page was a scholar of Crowley's work, once owning a private collection of Crowley manuscripts, artwork and other ephemera, and in the 1970s even bought one of his residences, Boleskine House on the shores of Loch Ness in Scotland.'
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2013, 11:16:30 PM »
Led Zep was my first ever favorite band, and although I admit that I killed most of their songs through ridiculous overplaying, they will always hold a special spot in my heart.  :heart

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #258 on: October 17, 2013, 12:20:09 AM »
There was a gentlemen at the grocery store today who got a call in the same isle as me and his ring tone was the sick riff from Bring It On Home. I had to go over and shake his hand.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #259 on: October 17, 2013, 07:17:11 AM »
That's pretty cool!  :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #260 on: October 18, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »

That doesn't ever happen anymore...even in New York.

Closest I've come to that in the last few years was watching my son's friend play a Zeppelin show at School of Rock a few years back.

Maybe it's just me, but I never really like to listen to Zeppelin alone. One of those bands that should be enjoyed with friends.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #261 on: December 13, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »
Bumping this thread.

Well, I've tried doing the Zeppathon where you listen to all of Led Zeppelin's studio albums in one sitting.  Sadly, I stopped at Presence, yesterday, since it was so late, but I'm listening to the final two right now.  Along the way, I've grown to really understand and appreciate and enjoy some of the deeper cuts of the catalog.

Also, In Through the Out Door was a good album, especially considering what the band was going through at that time.

Edit: Oh and yeah, Led Zeppelin's 1st six albums are out on Spotify, right now, while the rest will come in the upcoming days.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #262 on: December 13, 2013, 10:22:11 PM »
I do Zep A Thons a lot at work. I usually skip presence though.

In Through The Out Door has got to be my fav :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: December 14, 2013, 08:43:13 PM »
I do Zep A Thons a lot at work. I usually skip presence though.

In Through The Out Door has got to be my fav :metal

You're doing it wrong. Presence is far too underrated.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: December 15, 2013, 12:31:31 AM »
I love Achilles... Just never got into anything else.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #265 on: December 15, 2013, 12:49:26 AM »
Achilles Last Stand might be my favourite Zeppelin song ever. Hard to say for certain though.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: December 15, 2013, 12:55:39 AM »
I would love to see Iron Maiden perform that track. No one can say that wouldn't be epic!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2013, 01:52:21 AM »
Achilles Last Stand might be my favourite Zeppelin song ever. Hard to say for certain though.

Same. Which is funny because I've never been able to get into the rest of that album.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #268 on: December 15, 2013, 07:01:25 AM »
Presence is a tough one.  "Achilles Last Stand" is great, and I've always admired how they can keep up that driving, frantic pace for ten minutes, but after all these years, I'm finally starting to find it a bit repetitive, a bit overlong.

As others have said, the rest of the album is harder to get into.  It has a very "dark" feel to it.  I've always thought that that was by design.  "The Object" which is the focal point of all the pictures, seems to represent the presence of darkness in our everyday lives.  All these happy pictures of people, and "The Object" -- literally dark and twisted -- is just... there.

"For Your Life", "Nobody's Fault But Mine" and "Tea For One" are all oppressive, like Zep let their dark, brooding side take over and maybe gain a bit too much power.  The lighter songs, "Royal Orleans", "Candy Store Rock" and "Hots on for Nowhere" break things up, but overall don't seem to quite do enough to alleviate the feel of the album.

Led Zeppelin have some great songs that are heavy and dark, but Presence is what happens when you get too much of one kind of music on the same album.  I'm sure it resonates with some people, but it's always been one of my least favorites from their catalogue.  By time I got to it, my life was starting to look a bit less bleak, and Presence made me feel like maybe I was outgrowing Led Zeppelin, or something.  I wasn't; I just wasn't in a mental frame to appreciate the album, and really haven't been since.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: December 15, 2013, 08:50:54 AM »
Hard to believe that Presence was their only album to chart up to #1.  Took me a long time to appreciate the album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #270 on: December 24, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »
Hard to believe that Presence was their only album to chart up to #1.  Took me a long time to appreciate the album.

It's been a slow burner for me too. I quite like it although it's been a while since I put it on.

The last Zeppelin album I listened to was the BBC Sessions from about a month ago.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #271 on: December 24, 2013, 04:15:54 PM »
Inspired by this thread, I'm playing Presence now.  We'll see how it feels.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #272 on: December 24, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »
As much as I love Jimmy Page, I think Presence suffers from too much Page and not enough of the other 3 members. By this time, they weren't really writing together anymore, especially with Plant being out of commission from a car accident.  It's the closest thing to a Jimmy Page solo album in Zep's discography. Still a good album though.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline davidolson22

« Reply #273 on: December 24, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »
Let me start by saying I love Led Zeppelin, so much so that I have basically overheard all their songs, and I want to find new Led Zeppelin songs to listen to.

Because of that, I have this reoccurring dream that I don't have one of their albums, and it's this jazz influenced album with really long songs that wasn't well received by the public. Damn, I want to track that album down so bad. I just wish it existed any place outside my head.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #274 on: December 24, 2013, 11:45:39 PM »
Well, Presence was good, about the same as I remember it.  Anything by Led Zeppelin is at least good, much of it is great.  There wasn't anything I felt the urge to skip or anything like that, and of course some songs even have parts that are kinda catchy.  It just doesn't thrill me.  It's "only" good, not great.

Online Mladen

« Reply #275 on: December 25, 2013, 03:59:08 AM »
I love Presence, it's probably their heaviest album and has a fine balance of slow, dark songs, and slightly more cheerful upbeat tunes. I still have a problem with For your life, though, it really doesn't do anything for me...

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: December 25, 2013, 05:46:33 AM »
Achilles Last Stand is my fav Led Zeppelin track even though I never listen to LZ anymore.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: June 10, 2014, 11:26:09 AM »
Zeppelin I, II, and III remasters are up on Spotify.  Gonna be getting these discs pretty damned quick (perhaps a Father's Day gift).  This is how they were meant to be listened to.

:hat

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #278 on: June 10, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »
How's the quality of the remasters? Are they worth getting?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #279 on: June 10, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »
No other song on this planet will make me as giddy as Tangerine. Something about it will always give my soul a boner. I just wanted to say that.  :tup :hat :-*

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.