Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread  (Read 60771 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread
« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2013, 11:10:50 AM »
Have they ever done Carouselambra live?

One of my favorite Zeppelin tracks.  Definitely the highlight of In Through The Out Door
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »
It's personally my least favorite of the big three epics (my favorite would be In My Time), but it's still a good song

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2013, 11:17:10 AM »
I joined a classic rock band (playing drums) at the place where I take piano lessons and one of the first songs we started working on yesterday was "The Rover"   :hat

We also messed around a bit with "Heartbreaker" and "The Lemon Song"

FUN!! 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2013, 12:35:50 PM »
... one of the first songs we started working on yesterday was "The Rover"   :hat

Bum - - BUM - - - - bum-bum--bum--BUM-budadadadaDA-[heavy guitar]

Ah, "The Rover". Acid rock at it's finest.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2013, 12:54:47 PM »
Yeah, it's a fun tune to play on the skins too  :hat

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2013, 12:44:05 PM »
Put In Through The Out Door on for the first time in a long time and now I remember why this is my fav Zep album :metal

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2013, 08:17:39 PM »
Have they ever done Carouselambra live?

One of my favorite Zeppelin tracks.  Definitely the highlight of In Through The Out Door

One of them anyway. (I love the album myself, though that's likely a minority opinion)

I continually wonder what the next album would have been like.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »
Rumor has it that Page and Bonham were leaning towards a more guitar driven, heavier album than In Through The Out Door, but what they meant by that, assuming that was even true, remains conjecture. Of course, had Bonham lived, Page was blowing his talent out with heroin by then, so god only knows what music would have resulted.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: June 02, 2013, 09:03:33 PM »
Meh I love the direction of ITTOD. I like that it is a bit more keyboard driven...

Then again I love the heavier stuff too so that would have been cool to hear
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2013, 09:52:23 PM »
I read somewhere that the reason why it was so keyboard heavy was because Page and Bonham were too busy doing smack and drinking to work on the album, so JPJ ended up doing most of it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: June 02, 2013, 10:10:13 PM »
Same

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jaq

« Reply #221 on: June 03, 2013, 07:46:39 AM »
Pretty much; Plant and Jones would come in and do a bunch of work, and then Page and Bonham would show up separately. Which is why the album is so Jones driven, the only Zeppelin album to be so, because he was the main contributor.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2013, 08:34:55 AM »
It sounds to me like even the great Led Zeppelin (and I don't mean that sarcastically -- they're one of my favorite bands) was having some problems toward the end there. 

I know that the whole band doesn't have to be there while each individual member records their parts, but usually there's a certain amount of "hanging around the studio" while it's going on, just because they're a band and enjoy hanging out with each other, and also because there can still be some give-and-take and suggestions about how things could be played, even at that stage.

When the various members of the band don't even bother to show up on days when they're not recording something, to me that's not a good sign.  It's kinda like hanging around your workplace before or after your shift, or even on a day off, just because you like the place and like hanging out with the people there, even if you're not working.  Nowadays, I wouldn't even think of going in to the office if I didn't have to, if there wasn't something I had to do there.  It's just my job.  But I like making music.  I like hanging with the guys in my band, and if we were cutting an album, I'd hang out and enjoy the process, even if I'm just watching and listening to the other guys lay tracks.  When your band becomes "just a job" and you don't bother hanging around when you're not "working", something has been lost.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2013, 08:47:40 AM »
I've long believed that Zeppelin had reached the end of the road anyway, and likely would have either broken up or taken a long break by 1981. They'd gone through so much already-the late 70s were just one disaster after another, especially for Robert Plant-that if they'd gotten through their planned 1980 US tour without Page blowing up, I really think they would have gone their separate ways, if only for a little while. Bonham's death just made the decision inevitable. It's nice to go through "what might have been" moments, but I honestly think a break up, and possibly an acrimonious one, was coming.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #224 on: June 04, 2013, 12:59:35 PM »
If they had hung on any longer, would they be AS legendary as they are?  I hate when bands hang on well past their prime just because they were once awesome (Kiss, Halen come to mind).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #225 on: June 04, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
Good point.  As has been said, they probably weren't going to go much longer anyway without a break, either temporary or permanent, and John Bonham's death just forced the issue.  Knowing what we know now about the state of the band at the time, it's no real shock that they just looked at the situation and decided that Led Zeppelin was over.

And it was a good run.  I still put on In Through the Out Door from time to time.  I'm not as big on Presence, but everything up through Physical Graffiti is solid.  So you could say that they went out, maybe not on top, but on a high note.  That's definitely preferable to continuing to the point of mocking themselves.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #226 on: June 05, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »
I definitely like In Through the Out Door more than Presence, and I have always thought that I like the former way more than most seem to, but having said that, I still can't say it is better than any of the first six albums.  Fool in the Rain is still one of my favorite LZ songs, though; I love that song.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2013, 09:17:09 PM »
I've long believed that Zeppelin had reached the end of the road anyway, and likely would have either broken up or taken a long break by 1981. They'd gone through so much already-the late 70s were just one disaster after another, especially for Robert Plant-that if they'd gotten through their planned 1980 US tour without Page blowing up, I really think they would have gone their separate ways, if only for a little while. Bonham's death just made the decision inevitable. It's nice to go through "what might have been" moments, but I honestly think a break up, and possibly an acrimonious one, was coming.

This seems to have been the majority opinion over the years.  I actually respect Plant for his view in the years following the end although those first few records after didn't do much to stop fans from wanting him to play the Zep tunes.
I think Fate of Nations is really where his solo career began to shine but the albums before that were not horrible by any stretch.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2013, 07:03:23 AM »
If they had hung on any longer, would they be AS legendary as they are?  I hate when bands hang on well past their prime just because they were once awesome (Kiss, Halen come to mind).

Metallica is pretty much this personified. They should have quit after Jason left.

Actually they should have hung it up after the S&M album. It would have been the ultimate send off.

Plus - no drama with Jason. No Therapy. No St. Anger.No Napster lawsuit.  No 2004 world tour where they could barely play. No Clipping

controversies. etc. etc.

It seems all their worst ideas were after jason quit the band. :lol

Offline Limelight

« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2013, 04:18:39 AM »

Lulu says hi  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2013, 11:26:41 AM »

Lulu says hi  :lol
Which came after Jason quit the band...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2013, 08:31:54 PM »
I grew up with Led Zeppelin but just two weeks ago I discovered that Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid were actually two songs. They were only ever played back to back on the radio so I thought it was one song.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
I grew up with Led Zeppelin but just two weeks ago I discovered that Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid were actually two songs. They were only ever played back to back on the radio so I thought it was one song.

When I first realized that, I re-ripped the album into iTunes with them as one track for my shuffle playlist.  :lol Just can't listen to one without the other.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »

When I first realized that, I re-ripped the album into iTunes with them as one track for my shuffle playlist.  :lol Just can't listen to one without the other.

I used to see a cover band (The Nerds) years ago that one only play Heartbreaker and would explain that very thing and refused to continue. It was pretty funny since most people were expecting it.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2013, 08:32:10 AM »
I'm sure in the time they took to explain that, they could have played the other song.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2013, 08:56:29 AM »
Zep played Heartbreaker an awful lot, but if memory serves they never played Living Loving Maid for a simple reason: Plant hated it. Which makes the two songs being played together forever on classic rock radio endlessly hilarious.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »
I'm sure in the time they took to explain that, they could have played the other song.  :lol

Or they could finish playing "Heartbreaker" then go "Thank you. We'd like to play another song by Led Zeppelin, also from the second album..." then jump right into "Living Loving Maid".  Just because.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »
It's kind of the same with Brain Damage and Eclipse, or We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions. Cannot play one without the other

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #238 on: July 03, 2013, 07:09:27 AM »
So anyone catching the "Heartbreaker" tour going on now, where Jason Bonham's band opens for Heart, and then they combine for 6 LZ songs as an encore? Ann still sounds freakin' amazing. Shows have been getting great reviews.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: July 03, 2013, 07:24:36 AM »
Huh... I figured that they were going to be doing something like that when I saw that they were going to tour together. Cool.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: August 20, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
:bump:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2013, 05:31:59 PM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »
Today is Robert Plant's Bday apparently. Caught them playing two of my favs on the radio. Since I've Been Loving You and You Shook Me :heart

I love love love SIBLY

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: August 20, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
Is that the one with a descending guitar melody over a pedal note ?

Might be dazed & confused.

Have to check em out :P

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #244 on: August 20, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »
As a matter of fact, I listened to III today while not having listened to Zep for a good while, and it's Plant's birthday today.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .