Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread  (Read 60768 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread
« on: August 11, 2010, 03:40:02 PM »
I just got totally into them and they're awesome. They've always been my father's favorite band, but somehow I just couldn't get addicted to it. Now, after having listened to so many contemporary rock bands, hearing this: This is something truly unique, still.

I started out with Led Zeppelin IV, because I thought it was the easiest to get into. It worked, and now I'm starting with Zeppelin I, working my way up. Their DVD release simply called 'DVD' is excellent as well.

So, tell us how you got into Zeppelin, what you like about them/got into them/favorite songs/album etc. Or don't like about them, as long as you speak with respect!  :hat

p.s. I'm now at track #4: Dazed and Confused. I'm mildly familiar with it, but I never truly listened to it. This is AMAZING!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
Re: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 03:44:55 PM »
Long live the Zep
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:49:33 PM »
Long live the Zep

Right on! The movie 'It Might Get Loud' inspired me to check them out again, I was very intrigued by Jimmy Page's love for music in the documentary.

A while back I just couldn't understand why Stairway's guitar solo was considered (one of) the best guitar solo(s) of all time. I thought the wild, flashy solos certain prog-metal bands were playing were so much better. Now I understand, the solo is the ultimate conclusion of the song, it tells and finishes the story. Aside from that, the feel is amazing.

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 04:01:36 PM »
true
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:09:44 PM »
Great band with great music, but my favorite album, BY FAR, has to be Houses Of The Holy.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:28:20 PM »
Fond memories of hearing Black Dog and Stairway on the radio when I was in the car with my Dad as a little kid. :heart
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 04:32:56 PM »
Led Zeppelin is the only band I've ever encountered where I can honestly say they have NO *bad* songs.  Some are a little less good than others, but none are bad.  And ABSOLUTELY no bad albums (except the posthumous "Coda," which I don't include as a part of their canon).
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 04:39:27 PM »
Now you know why Stairway is one of the greatest songs ever written on that subject matter.

I bought Houses of the Holy first then Led I, Presence. All trying to find one song or two i've heard but didn't know the name's. They ended up being A Fool In The Rain (didn't know this was a led zeppelin song as i heard it when i was younger and just recently heard it at a baseball game with my uncle who told me the name), Goin to California. I'm happy I got those albums, great songs on all of them So far Houses of the Holy is my favorite.

I forgot I also bought Led II. It's alright
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 05:26:56 PM »
I was gonna start this thread last week but I forgot :facepalm:

Anyway, one of my favorite bands.

Also, Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience: https://www.jblze.com/

North American dates to be announced on Monday :metal

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 05:47:26 PM »
I've said this on here before: "Ramble On" is the best them.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 05:57:04 PM »
I always love me some Zeppelin II... long live the brown bomber
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »
I've said this on here before: "Ramble On" is the best them.
One of my favorites

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
I started out with Led Zeppelin IV, because I thought it was the easiest to get into. It worked, and now I'm starting with Zeppelin I, working my way up.
Wait till you get to Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti. Those two, along with IV, are prolly LZ at their best, IMO of course.

So, tell us how you got into Zeppelin, what you like about them/got into them/favorite songs/album etc. Or don't like about them, as long as you speak with respect!  :hat
Stairway, man, Stairway. I got LZIV for Christmas one year, primarily for Stairway and "Battle of Evermore." I quickly learned that every song on the album was awesome. I played the hell outta that CD. In fact, it was one of my first albums ever and when I bought albums by other artists, I was confused when only one or two songs were worthwhile on em. I was used to LZIV's continuous barrage of quality songs.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »
Ahh... Led Zeppelin.  How hum-drum and shocking is it for a 47-year old male who went to HS in the 70s to proclaim that Led Zep is his all-time favorite band?   Ummm... very!  But I'm gonna say it anyway:  Led Zeppelin are my all-time favorite band.  It wasn't always this way, as this is one band that has managed to come full-circle on me.  

It started when I was about 12-13 yrs old and I first heard Whole Lotta Love being played as a single on the radio.  Everything about it absolutely blew me away, from that weird cough at the beginning into the explosive Page riff that immediately gets doubled with JPJ's bass.  Then the unbridled Plant vocal/lyric that's filled with sexual innuendo up the kazoo, and the weirdly orgasmic instrumental break that resolves itself into a classic Page solo.... I was hooked BIG TIME.   So was the rest of the world.  

And that was part of the problem with Zeppelin for me after a few years of hoarding up all their albums..... they got TOO big.   They were EVERYWHERE overexposed with their music being played to death on hit radio, and I got caught up in the media backlash that called them out for being self-indulgent piggish superstars (which they were).  So there was a time in my college years when I didn't go near Zeppelin, opting in favor of more trendy 80s music like The Clash, Iron Maiden, Priest, Queensryche, Metallica, The Grateful Dead etc.    

With the perspective of time, however, and after listening to tons of bands over the years, I've come to recognize that their music has never really been truly surpassed.   Led Zeppelin manages to satisfy my craving for so much that I ask for in my music.  

- I love hard rock, and there is no rhythm section that has ever hit me quite as hard as Jones/Bonham.  Not one.  Back in the day, most bands revolved around 1, maybe 2 players, usually the vocalist or lead guitarist.  Zep was one of the 1st groups (Cream the other) that showed what could done when a band consisted of 4 "lead" instrumentalists.    

- I love prog rock, and Zeppelin, while not truly 'prog', is one of the only hard rock bands to "progress" from album to album.  What band was able to shift from heavy blues to celtic folk to Middle-eastern modes so seamlessly, and all within the span of one album?  Banjo anyone?  Mandolin Mellotron Theremin?  Page was not afraid to experiment.  And the beauty of it was that he was his own George Martin.  No one except Page himself was going to mess with the artistic integrity of his band.  When I first bought Led Zeppelin III, I didn't get it.  WTF were they doing with all these mellow acoustic tracks?   At the time, it was a letdown to me after the heavy metal brute power of II.  In hindsight, after seeing what they did with Zoso and Houses, I can better understand where Page was coming from and now have a whole new appreciation and love for III.    

- I love jam music, and Zeppelin are one of the few bands (The Dead and King Crimson being the others) that I will actively seek out bootlegs because I absolutely adore their extended jams (No Quarter, Dazed and Confused, Bring It On Home) and song variants (Immigrant Song, Over The Hills, etc).  As exacting as Jimmy Page was in the studio, they played fast and loose in a live setting.  Page admitted that they were very much a "jam" band when a journalist opined that their live songs were never faithful to the studio versions.      

So yeah... nerdy as it sounds, I've got a little shrine to Zeppelin in my den consisting of my old vinyls, a newer cd boxset, several biography books, live dvds, bootleg cds, all topped off with a miniature Jimmy Page figure triumphantly holding up his violin bow.  
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
Cool post LudwigVan.  :tup

I'm tempted to play one of their songs with my band (we hardly ever do covers). But then I hear Plant's vocals, and I know we're not going to pull if off.

I mean this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJFSNC2wY-Y

Cool that she does it, it's not bad. But in comparison to the original, it kinda is. So dangerous territory, but she sure got balls for doing it anyway!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 06:58:25 PM »
My band screws around with a lot of Zeppelin. We do a cover of "Whole Lotta Love", and screw around with "Communication Breakdown", "Immigrant Song", "Stairway To Heaven", and "Black Dog" a lot.

I was at a battle of the bands once, and this awesome Primus/Buckethead/metal-like band didn't know that one of their songs had to be a cover (it was a contest with rules) until they got there. Anyway, they did the best Led Zeppelin cover I'd ever seen. Ever. They played a killer "Moby Dick", spot on, and in some places adding flair.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »
Zeppelin is great for summer music.  Houses of the Holy is probably my favorite, followed by III. 

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 08:50:46 PM »
Digging the love for Houses in this thread, its also my favourite (Rain Song ftw).  I totally know what the OP is talking about.  For me, Zep was a band that was always around me while I was younger, but until I actually went out of my way to dig deeper into them I never realised just how awesome they were.  Just one watch of the DVD is enough to prove that to anyone.  I don't think there will ever be a band like them ever again.

Have most people seen the Zeppelin DVD?  I really like the extras on the first disc, especially the performances on the Danish tv show or whatever it is.  In black and white.  Its awesome seeing them before all the fame and huge arena tours playing to just a small bunch of people sitting on the floor! :lol  Even then you can still see that they were a band who just loved playing music, no matter how big the audience.  Also cool seeing Page play his paint-splattered tele.  Apparently thats the guitar used to record the Stairway solo.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 09:31:43 PM »
Being a child of the 70's, I grew up with Zeppelin as well.  We even played "Thank You" at my wedding.  The main sequence for me is probably the fourth album through Presence, but sirbradford is correct, there are no bad Zeppelin albums.  I've always had a little trouble getting into III, but I could never call it a bad album, just not quite my thing.  And yeah, Coda.  But it wasn't their fault.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 10:07:53 PM »
Led Zeppelin's awesomeness can never be talked about enough. 

My funny story about LZ is hearing "Fool in the Rain" on the radio somewhere around '91 or '92, but not knowing the name of the damn song.  I tried to call the radio station to find out, but kept getting a busy signal.  None of the friends I saw in the next few days after that knew.  It was infuriating.  Remember, this was long before the internet and text messaging, so there was little I could do.  And I was still a teenager with little money, so I wasn't about to run out and buy every LZ CD (although I guess I should have, since they are all great, but of course I didn't know that at the time).  I remember when I finally found out the name of the song...it was a wonderful day. :)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 10:26:40 PM »
Led Zeppelin's awesomeness can never be talked about enough. 

My funny story about LZ is hearing "Fool in the Rain" on the radio somewhere around '91 or '92, but not knowing the name of the damn song.  I tried to call the radio station to find out, but kept getting a busy signal.  None of the friends I saw in the next few days after that knew.  It was infuriating.  Remember, this was long before the internet and text messaging, so there was little I could do.  And I was still a teenager with little money, so I wasn't about to run out and buy every LZ CD (although I guess I should have, since they are all great, but of course I didn't know that at the time).  I remember when I finally found out the name of the song...it was a wonderful day. :)
One of my favorite LZ songs, btw.  :tup

Offline masterthes

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 10:41:47 PM »
If I had to rank the albums, it'd go something like this:

1. Houses Of The Holy
2. IV
3. Physical Graffiti
4. II
5. III
6. I
7. In Through The Out Door
8. Presence

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 12:27:20 AM »
Definitely one of my favourite bands. Led Zeppelin II is my favourite album ever.

Zep ranking:

1. II
2. Houses of the Holy
3. IV
4. I
5. III
6. In Through the Out Door
7. Presence
8. Physical Graffiti

Might look a little strange, but that's it!

Online Mladen

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 04:17:09 AM »
One of my favorite bands of all time, just unbelievable music. My order:

1. Houses of the holy
2. In through the out door
3. III
4. II
5. IV
6. Physical graffiti
7. Presence
8. I

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 04:58:23 AM »
Definitely one of my favourite bands. Led Zeppelin II is my favourite album ever.

Zep ranking:

1. II
2. Houses of the Holy
3. IV
4. I
5. III
6. In Through the Out Door
7. Presence
8. Physical Graffiti

Might look a little strange, but that's it!

Not at all strange!  I never really got into PG like most people.  I love Ten Years Gone, Night Flight and some other stuff, but as a whole the album never clicked with me.

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 05:04:35 AM »
how about The Rover, Kashmir and Trampled Under Foot

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 05:45:42 AM »
how about The Rover, Kashmir and Trampled Under Foot

3 great songs....on an otherwise uneventful DOUBLE album, imo

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »
Night Flight has the get up and go.  In the Light is amazing.  Ten Years Gone is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.  So is Bron-Yr-Aur.

I'll grant you that Physical Graffiti is uneven; that's to be expected from a double album of outtakes, but it's far from uneventful.

Also, Kashmir is overrated and overplayed, although those two may be related.  I really liked it for a while, but there's just not enough going on to justify 8.5 minutes.  Our drummer absolutely hated that song because it was so boring to play, and I couldn't disagree.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 08:16:20 AM »
I'd like to do another Zep survivor soon.  Watch for it coming up!
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Online Mladen

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 09:29:02 AM »
I'd love a Led Zeppelin survivor.  :tup

As for Physical graffiti... The first LP is amazing, I enjoy every single song. However, the second LP has a lot of filler and some of their weakest songs in my opinion. Still, Sick again, The Wanton song and Ten years gone kick some serious ass.  :metal

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »
I'd like to do another Zep survivor soon.  Watch for it coming up!
I'd participate

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 10:44:44 AM »
I'd participate too, but we have 93847928374 survivors coming up including my Tool survivor.  :D
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »
Listened to Houses Of The Holy, Physical Graffiti and IV this morning before coming to work... What a way to start the day!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 12:46:55 PM »
I'd participate too, but we have 93847928374 survivors coming up including my Tool survivor.  :D
START TEH TOOL SURVIVER!!111!!!!!!1!!!!ONE!!!111

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
START TEH TOOL SURVIVER!!111!!!!!!1!!!!ONE!!!111
I have to wait for the Coheed one to finish. Or so Setrataeso says
I AM A GUY