Poll

Vote wisely

Gandalf
72 (73.5%)
Dumbledore
26 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Who wins?  (Read 36151 times)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Re: Who wins?
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2010, 08:16:42 AM »
Bella Lugosi wins.

Her maiden name is Black.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
I just don't see how you can put a rating on how much fighting capacity Dumbledore has because he never lost a fight; I suspect that at his full force Voldemort is the only one who could even gotten close to beating him. Gandalf did kind of die, and he never even fought Sauron.
1) Gandalf didn't actually die, and 2) he let himself fall so that the others could escape, which is apparently why Dumbledore is so badass. :P
Gandalf let himself fall, yes, but he didn't die from the fall. He was so weakened by his fight with the balrog that for all intensive purposes it killed him. He only returned because the gods of middle earth (whose proper name escapes me at the moment) sent him back as Gandalf the White so he could help out the good guys in the fight.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2010, 09:34:31 AM »
Also:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »
I'm just thinking back to LOTR.  I mean, Balrogs were nothing to be messed with.  Gandalf basically just said, "yo, balroggy, you ain't comin' this way" and that was that.  He didn't have to do anything fancy.  Ole' 'roggy was just like, "Oh...er...uh...well then, I'll just...um...stand her and roar and look menacing then...and...uh...yeah."

If Gandalf and Dumblypie ever got into it, I imagine it would play out something like:
-Dumblewumble unleashes the fookin' fury with all he's got.
-While he's doing that, Gandalf sits down and has a couple of tea.
-When he's done, we walks over and clocks Dumbledweeb in the temple with his staff.
-Dumble crumples to the floor.  Gandalf wins.  Flawless victory.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2010, 09:59:17 AM »
Dumbledee and Dumbledum?

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2010, 11:48:18 AM »
:rollin

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2010, 10:16:22 PM »
I'm just thinking back to LOTR.  I mean, Balrogs were nothing to be messed with.  Gandalf basically just said, "yo, balroggy, you ain't comin' this way" and that was that.  He didn't have to do anything fancy.  Ole' 'roggy was just like, "Oh...er...uh...well then, I'll just...um...stand her and roar and look menacing then...and...uh...yeah."

If Gandalf and Dumblypie ever got into it, I imagine it would play out something like:
-Dumblewumble unleashes the fookin' fury with all he's got.
-While he's doing that, Gandalf sits down and has a couple of tea.
-When he's done, we walks over and clocks Dumbledweeb in the temple with his staff.
-Dumble crumples to the floor.  Gandalf wins.  Flawless victory.

Flawless victory indeed.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2010, 10:48:46 PM »
J.K. Rowling saying that Dumbledore's gay, without any textual evidence, and just to satisfy a personal view of some readers is a pathetic way to merchandise more this product.
Ignoring the fact that him being gay actually helped explain a lot of his actions in the past, I'm sure there were tons of people who hadn't touched the series for ten years that suddenly ran out and bought it because one of the characters was gay.
Ah, taking the hammock reader's opinion. Lol. What else are you going to say now, that some events in Rowling's life explain some passages of this book? :lol

I said: there's no textual evidence of Dumbledore being gay. Please show me a passage where it says he's gay or it is specifically implied.

If Dumbledore is really gay, because that was the intention of the author, then in that case the reader will just have to disown it. She should have made it clear. She didn't. She did not achieve to convey her message.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: By the way, Nick from The Great Gatsby? Fagalicious.
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2010, 10:54:08 PM »
J.K. Rowling saying that Dumbledore's gay, without any textual evidence, and just to satisfy a personal view of some readers is a pathetic way to merchandise more this product.
Ignoring the fact that him being gay actually helped explain a lot of his actions in the past, I'm sure there were tons of people who hadn't touched the series for ten years that suddenly ran out and bought it because one of the characters was gay.
Ah, taking the hammock reader's opinion. Lol. What else are you going to say now, that some events in Rowling's life explain some passages of this book? :lol

I said: there's no textual evidence of Dumbledore being gay. Please show me a passage where it says he's gay or it is specifically implied.

If Dumbledore is really gay, because that was the intention of the author, then in that case the reader will just have to disown it. She should have made it clear. She didn't. She did not achieve to convey her message.

Seriously, am I the only one who actually got the sense he was gay while just reading the books? Or do I just have a literary gaydar?
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2010, 11:02:07 PM »
What the fuck?

SPOILERS HARRY DONT FUCKING READ THIS

Dumbledore ignored all the signs of Grindewald's evil and ambitions at power and it wasn't until it was far too late that he did anything about it. Why? Because he had been his best friend, gay, and in love with him, and even after all the shit that happened between them he still couldn't get over that.

The reason it's not explicitly stated or implied is because it's totally peripheral. It explains events that occurred 70 years before the series, and in the end has virtually no affect on the series overall. It's a side trait that explains some of his actions, and could have been inferred by a reader.

Either way, the point is moot; there's no way Rowling just said he was gay to try to boost sales. What a ridiculous claim to make.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2010, 12:10:40 AM »
Oh yeah?  Well, you're gay just to boost sales, so there!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2010, 03:43:08 AM »
Personal attack, bant.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2010, 03:47:22 AM »

No, I'm gay because Rich is too hot to pass ignore, AND he defends my honor! *swoons*
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2010, 08:13:36 AM »
Oh. 

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2010, 04:01:15 PM »
SPOILERS, HARRY

What the fuck?

SPOILERS HARRY DONT FUCKING READ THIS

*ARGUMENT*
I'm gonna re-read that specific part. What I remember from reading it the first time, three years ago, was that: "Oh, Dumbledore had his really good friend that we didn't know about. It reminds me of Frodo and his great friend Sam, Merry and his great friend Pippin, Harry and his great friend Ron". Dumbledore and his great friend Grindelwald.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: By the way, Nick from The Great Gatsby? Fagalicious.
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2010, 06:56:44 PM »
Seriously, am I the only one who actually got the sense he was gay while just reading the books? Or do I just have a literary gaydar?

Regarding the subject change, I'm pretty sure EVERY character in The Great Gatsby is gay.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2010, 07:03:52 PM »
SPOILERS HARRY

You fucking read it anyways, didn't you?