Author Topic: I got a cheap MIDI cable on e-bay. Can someone help me please?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Kornflake

Hello everyone.  I ordered a cheap MIDI cable from e-bay rather than getting one of those $50 m-audio ones.  It didn't come with a driver CD, but I found a website with step by step instructions on getting drivers for cheaper cables and mine was one of the ones pictured...but of course, it didn't seem to work.

I'm running Windows Vista and was hoping someone else might be able to help me get the right drivers going.

Every time I try to use MIDI-OX, when I click to "Recieve Manual Dump" I get an error message that says "No Input device is selected or there are no SysEx buffers. Cannot receive SysEx.  Hint: Make sure "Options|Pass SysEx" is checked."

This is the cable that I have here.  Does anyone else have this cable?  Can you help me out?

Thanks in advance to any/all of you who respond.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: I got a cheap MIDI cable on e-bay. Can someone help me please?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:08:03 AM »
It doesn't sound like a cable problem, it sounds like Windows doesn't know what to do with the input.  Cables are essentially the same other than name brand and the materials used, so you'd probably have the same problem with the more expensive cable.  My guess is you need to configure whatever software is processing the MIDI input to accept it.  I remember doing that when I had my keyboard hooked up to my old computer - granted that was in 2002.

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »
Interesting...  I'll look into that.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:17:08 PM »
Well,  err, did you select your device as the input device as MIDIOX suggests?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:55:44 PM »
I'm using it with a Line 6 M13 stompbox modeler and followed the instructions on the Line 6 website step for step.  I've been on the Line 6 forum too and it appears as though using midi with that pedal is a common question.  Maybe their instructions are just whack?