Author Topic: Bruce Dickinson solo thread  (Read 13486 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Bruce Dickinson solo thread
« on: May 29, 2009, 06:58:27 PM »
I haven't seen any discussion of the Iron Maiden frontman's solo work on these boards, but it is downright fantastic.  The Chemical Wedding is my all-time favourite album, and to me is the absolute standard for all modern metal.  My favourite song by him, and of all time, is the incredible Jerusalem.

I'd recommend to anyone who likes metal to check out The Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth.

What does everyone else think of his work?  Especially his more divisive, experimental works (Skunkworks, anyone?).
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bruce Dickinson solo thread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »
I would agree with Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth are fantasic albums. I even think Tyranny of Souls is a solid album. I need to listen to these albums more.

I don't have anything else of his (other than the 2-Disc 'Greatest Hits' CD, which has some nice treats, like 'Broken' and a 'Man of Sorrows' demo).

Crube FTW!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:40:58 AM »
Chemical Wedding, Accident of Birth and Tyranny of Souls are all really solid albums, especially the first one. I'm also a big fan of Balls to Picasso which has a couple of dull tracks but is mostly great. I also don't get the hate for Skunkworks - it has a couple of weak songs but some really cool stuff that's just different to everything else.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:45:28 AM »
I have only heard Accident Of Birth, The Chemical Wedding, and the collection The Very Best Of.

Accident Of Birth is my favourite of those, and it sounds more like Iron Maiden than Iron Maiden did during the same period. I have to check out more of his solo work.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »
Love his solo stuff.  The Chemical Wedding with the 3 bonus tracks is one of my favorite albums of all time.  Return of the King is my favorite song followed closely by Silver Wings and Omega.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 12:10:35 PM »
Great choices.  Another song I don't know if many have heard but is actually one of my favourite Bruce tracks is "Wicker Man".  Not the Iron Maiden one, his solo version which was written during Accident of Birth, recorded during Chemical Wedding, put only released as part of the bonus disc of his greatest hits.  Such an amazing song, I really can't see how it didn't get put on either album.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 02:40:23 PM »
Bruce’s solo work is great. I’d been a lifelong Maiden fan, and I liked Bruce well enough, but when I heard Balls To Picasso for the first time, it really hit me. This guy is really great. Especially when first compared to The X Factor, I really though Bruce won that round. Obviously Roy Z had an enormous impact, as the Band Of Gypsies really provided a stellar backdrop to Bruce’s style. It had a real current and fresh feeling to it.

I think Skunkworks is very underrated. Everyone needs to go back and check it out. But as mentioned, the 2 best are probably Accident At Birth and the brilliant Chemical Wedding. I’m not so much of a fan of Tryanny Of Souls. I just think it totally pales to Chemical Wedding.

I got to see Bruce twice. The first time was 7/22/90 on the Tattooed Millionaire tour (with Jannick!), and then again on 9/28/97 on the Accident tour (with Adrian!).

My Top 10 Bruce songs are:
1.   Tears Of the Dragon
2.   Born In ‘58
3.   Accident At Birth
4.   Darkside Of Aquarius
5.   Book Of Thiel
6.   Sacred Cowboys
7.   A Chemical Wedding
8.   No Lies
9.   Back From The Edge
10.   The Tower
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »
1. Jerusalem
2. Book of Thel
3. Tears of the Dragon
4. Trumpets of Jericho
5. Darkside of Aquarius
6. Accident of Birth
7. Omega
8. The Alchemist
9. Power of the Sun
10. Arc of Space

And here's a treat: Bruce and co. playing Tattooed Millionaire on the Chemical Wedding tour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS9E199LmgM

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 07:08:15 PM »
Good point about Skunkworks TAC.

Tyranny of Souls is a lot about flight, aerospace and spaceflight. I love the idea of that, you can see in some of the lyrics he tries to create the feel of somebody looking out to the sky and wanting to master it. Kill Devil Hill is a good song.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 09:11:35 PM »

Tyranny of Souls is a lot about flight, aerospace and spaceflight. I love the idea of that, you can see in some of the lyrics he tries to create the feel of somebody looking out to the sky and wanting to master it. Kill Devil Hill is a good song.

It sure is.  I very much like Tyranny of Souls.  I wish Bruce did a solo tour for this album (which I dont believe he ever did) during this long break that Maiden are on now.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 09:18:58 PM »
jerusalem is indeed a great song...I love his solo stuff

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 05:36:16 AM »
I'll have to give Tyranny Of Souls a spin this week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 06:35:15 AM »

Hey, I made that point first! :angry:

And I have to say, I prefer his solo work to Iron Maiden. I like Maiden and they have some absolutely classic stuff, but I just find his solo stuff has more power, emotion and diversity.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 08:04:42 AM »

And I have to say, I prefer his solo work to Iron Maiden. I like Maiden and they have some absolutely classic stuff, but I just find his solo stuff has more power, emotion and diversity.

This.

I actually heard a rumour that H and Bruce were collaborating again for a new solo album... but there's nothing to back it up.  Let's just hope.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 08:18:57 AM »

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but you are right. He's clearly a great artist, who is actually bound by what Maiden does. I hope he does continue his solo work.

It's no wonder that since Bruce came back, Iron Maiden has been more dynamic than they have ever been. BNW-DOD/AMOLAD is as strong a 3 record run as they have ever had. I don't think things like Dream Of Mirrors happens without Balls To Picasso, etc...

Has anyone read his book, Lord Iffy Boatrace? I remember buying it at during the 91 tour. I haven't read it since. I think it's time to dig that one up as well.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 10:37:46 AM »

I don't think things like Dream Of Mirrors happens without Balls To Picasso, etc...

Well, actually it does.  Dream of Mirrors was written during the VXI sessions, and Blaze was pissed because he didn't get a writing credit for the lyrics.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 10:41:46 AM »
His solo stuff is for the most part quite exceptional. Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are fantastic albums, Tyranny of Souls is really good, and the others can be inconsistent, but there are a lot of great tracks on all of them. His solo work basically tears to shreds everything Maiden was doing at the same time.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 10:44:21 AM »

I don't think things like Dream Of Mirrors happens without Balls To Picasso, etc...

Well, actually it does.  Dream of Mirrors was written during the VXI sessions, and Blaze was pissed because he didn't get a writing credit for the lyrics.
Gotcha! I think I remember that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 05:16:22 AM »

9. Power of the Sun

This is a GREAT song. Really the standout track on Tyranny Of Souls.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 05:57:07 AM »
His solo stuff is for the most part quite exceptional. Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are fantastic albums, Tyranny of Souls is really good, and the others can be inconsistent, but there are a lot of great tracks on all of them. His solo work basically tears to shreds everything Maiden was doing at the same time.

I pretty much agree with this even though I really liked the X Factor, but Bruce's solo was really that good.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 07:41:21 AM »
Chemical Wedding  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 11:03:50 AM »
He does a great Black Widow on Humanary Stew:A Tribute To Alice Cooper.

(and Ronnie James Dio does a wicked Welcome To My Nightmare)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 02:13:46 PM »
Ah yes I remember hearing 'The Tower' on the radio way back when and thinking it was tons better than what Maiden was putting out at the time, although very Maidenesque.  I love AOB, CW and TOS.  I just recently got Anthology and its not too bad.  The stuff with Jan is fun to watch as well as the Skunkworks show (Bruce with neck length hair lol), but the bad quality of the Scream for me Brazil show grinds my gears eh.  Wish there was a good quality release of a show from that tour.

1. Omega
2. Laughing in the Hiding Bush
3. Arc of Space
4. Chemical Wedding
5. The Alchemist
6. Machine Men
7. Cyclops
8. Devil on a Hog
9. Accident of Birth
10. The Tower

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »
What was that song off Skunkworks called - "Inside my Machine" or something? It's about inseminating his wife - fantastic!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 05:14:07 PM »
I always thought that the 'throw some scary tarot cards' line in Darkside of Aquarius (Accident of Birth) was making fun of  'you take the tarot cards/and throw them to the wind' from Maiden's Judgement of Heaven (X Factor).  Does anyone agree?  I also think 'Machine Men' is a bit of a slant on Maiden ('Iron in the soul blah bleh').  I find it all very interesting. :P

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 10:01:31 AM »
I know Bruce was a little bitter over Maiden.  I remember hearing something about him getting pissed at Nicko calling his solo band the "greatest Maiden cover band".

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »
I know Bruce was a little bitter over Maiden.  I remember hearing something about him getting pissed at Nicko calling his solo band the "greatest Maiden cover band".

:lol wouldnt of helped when that critic dude called Chemical Wedding "the best Maiden album since Seventh Son"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 10:50:37 AM »

:lol wouldnt of helped when that critic dude called Chemical Wedding "the best Maiden album since Seventh Son"

hahaha, never heard that before, but that is really funny and pretty much true.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 02:16:04 PM »
Dream of Mirrors is one of the stand out tracks from BNW for me. For the comeback albums I think I'd even put BNW ahead of AMOLAD but behind DOD.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »
Yeah, I love Dream of Mirrors.  I think I'd go BNW, AMOLAD and then DOD

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
I'm afraid I'm going to have to end this thread here by posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP9GWmyz5xI

:metalol:
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 03:00:05 PM »
Oh my god what the hell was that?! :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 08:20:30 PM »
I think they did on the 2002 tour too  :D

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 05:49:43 PM »
I think they did on the 2002 tour too  :D

Why why why?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »