Author Topic: Proper Fingerpicking Technique  (Read 5065 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Proper Fingerpicking Technique
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could give a brief overview of proper right hand fingerpicking technique. I have looked on the internet and everything seems to be a paid online lesson.

My biggest problem is that I have developed the bad habit of not using my ring finger and so whenever I try to do it I find my hand curls and I pick at the strings sideways instead of up. What is the best way to hold your hand over the strings?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: Proper Fingerpicking Technique
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:03:16 AM »
place your hand over the strings so your finger tips are pointing toward the headstock. Bring your thumb down to the low E, and then curl your fingers around so the tips can now pluck the strings. I don't bend my thumb at all (I pluck with the side of my thumb, not the tip.

I hope that made sense, I typed and deleted about 5 explanations because they were all unclear :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:59:01 AM »
You know, in this day and age of Youtube, why not just look at some masters and how they hold theirs?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:39:09 PM »
place your hand over the strings so your finger tips are pointing toward the headstock. Bring your thumb down to the low E, and then curl your fingers around so the tips can now pluck the strings. I don't bend my thumb at all (I pluck with the side of my thumb, not the tip.

I hope that made sense, I typed and deleted about 5 explanations because they were all unclear :lol

And anchor your hand by placing your pinky on the guitar. You will rarely need to use it so it is best to have some sort of anchor.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 09:49:54 PM »

And anchor your hand by placing your pinky on the guitar. You will rarely need to use it so it is best to have some sort of anchor.

Hm. I don't do this at all.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 04:03:12 AM »
I do that with both my ringfinger and pinky...not good, I do it too often, my hand is pretty locked

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 07:26:37 AM »

Don't do this.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 08:36:39 AM »
Tell us why, I'm curious

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 08:45:20 AM »
Anchoring is bad. You said it yourself:

my hand is pretty locked

That's a habit you don't want to get into.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »
Okay I see, that's what I was afraid of... I gotta practice not doing it then, I've seen that petrucci does it though, but not as nearly as often as I do

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 09:33:40 AM »
Um...maybe you just shouldn't do it with both your finger ring and pinky. Just the pinky works fine.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
I've heard it's bad for your hand, but then again I've also heard that wrapping your thumb around the neck will kill your unborn children, so I dunno. I guess we'll see in a few years :lol

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 11:31:44 AM »
Um...maybe you just shouldn't do it with both your finger ring and pinky. Just the pinky works fine.

It might work, but it's not the proper technique. If you've already got the habit, that's fine (I've also got into the habit of anchoring but when I'm using a pick). But TOX asked for proper technique, so I don't think you should be advising him to do that.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 02:53:10 PM »
I only anchor when using a pick as well

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
So how do you "anchor" your hand, so to speak? Do you have to really press your arm against the guitar? Or is your hand kind of just supposed to float?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 11:27:40 AM »
well, I just hold my pinky under the neck pickup, kinda...I do not press my arm...I haven't really thought about my armposition. Just experiment! You'll find a way that you like most, and check some youtube vids

Offline Manolito Mystiq

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
Hey there,

This might help: https://sites.google.com/site/manolitomystiq/FlamencoDiscipline-ManuelGutierrezRojas.pdf

It's the technique for Flamenco Guitar, which is different from Classical Guitar, which is played with a rounder sound (more to the soundhole) and -from what I've experienced- more nail.

Sincerely,

Manolito

Offline Tuneman

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 10:48:41 PM »
I can tell you how us classical guitarists hold it, I dunno about acoustic or whatever.

We rest the area right past our elbow at the much near the inflection point of the back curve or the top of the back curve.  This is more about what is comfortable for you. You need to be able to slide it up and down to have a range of tones.  

Then you keep your hand very relaxed and try to attack the strings at a right angle. Definitely do NOT put your hand against the body.  

Fit your fingernails on the string, try not to put any flesh on it.  Your fingernails shouldn't be naturally shaped, but more like a pick-shape...

Then, for free stroke: when plucking the strings you retract the finger towards your palm with very little movement in the wrist or back of the hand.  You don't want your hand bouncing up and down at all, which is a very very hard thing to do.

Vidovic has exceptional right hand technique (along with left hand)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7vOb7GNBg

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:57:49 PM by Tuneman »

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 03:28:19 PM »
I've actually always wrapped my pinky around the high e string when playing lower string stuff.

I just checked and that's how Claudio Sanchez plays too.