Author Topic: Meshuggah  (Read 110945 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Meshuggah
« Reply #595 on: March 19, 2021, 01:53:54 PM »
Hope the new one's better than their last, Clockworks is amazing but it and MonstroCity were literally the only two tracks I liked from it
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #596 on: March 20, 2021, 01:34:05 AM »
No Born In Dissonance? :eek

I liked the last one but I get what you're saying. I don't often listen to any entire M album, though.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #597 on: March 25, 2021, 01:25:47 PM »
Things are happening. As some of you figured out we have entered Sweetspot Studio and have begun recording a new album. *Spoiler* There will be distortion and kicks.
Also we have other news. We are releasing Per Nilsson back into the wild to roam free in any way he sees fit. It has been a true privilege and honor to share the stage with Per and even more importantly we have made a great friend through our travels. Per. We thank you. You are a formidable human being!!
So why are we releasing Per back into a more stable habitat you ask? The answer is simple. Fredrik will be back for lead work on the album as well as touring going forward. In other words. The Band is back together. In full effect.
Welcome back Fredrik! Hopefully your soloalbum is around the corner now!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #598 on: March 25, 2021, 01:28:02 PM »
Looking at that picture, Eddie Van Halen is present even in places I wouldn't expect him.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lupton

« Reply #599 on: March 25, 2021, 02:29:44 PM »
Awesome to hear that Fredrik's back! Will he contribute any material this time? Not that I have any issues with the songwriting on Violent Sleep (where Haake & Lovgren wrote the lion's share). These guys are more than capable of writing material together as we saw from Koloss.  I think they demo everything in a computer before anyone even starts to work on "performing" the material.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #600 on: January 10, 2022, 09:33:14 AM »
Looks like the new album is coming April 1, and will be called 'Immutable.'

Album teaser here:
https://immutable.se/

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #601 on: January 10, 2022, 09:35:37 AM »
That looks like a Disturbed album cover. :lol

Hoping this one has more than a couple good songs.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #602 on: January 10, 2022, 09:52:39 AM »
Isn't that just a rumour or is it legit?

It really does look kinda gimmicky, I hope i'm right because that's the worst album cover i've seen by Meshuggah.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #603 on: January 10, 2022, 11:19:18 AM »
Yeah wasn't sure at first either, but it looks like the people on the Meshuggah subreddit confirmed that it's real.

Not too fond of that album cover either to be honest.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #604 on: January 11, 2022, 03:47:19 PM »
Excited to hear this news. I'm sure the album will be good. Not keen on the cover art but the last good cover art was Nothing, imo.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #605 on: January 15, 2022, 01:20:00 PM »
It was legit after all. Kinda bummed, both the cover and the music sounded very meh to me. Apparently the album is a behemoth according to the members
 so i'm still pumped for this!

MESHUGGAH - Immutable Teaser (OFFICIAL ALBUM TEASER)

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #606 on: January 15, 2022, 01:59:25 PM »
It's the knife that's really the cherry on top for me.

WATCH OUT! That flaming nuclear skeleton has got A KNIFE! :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #607 on: January 19, 2022, 02:43:33 AM »
 :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #608 on: January 28, 2022, 01:24:48 AM »
The new single is alright. It's very Meshuggah 101 but I like it. Great to hear Fredriks solos again. The latter heavy part was amazing. Can't wait to hear the other songs.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #609 on: January 28, 2022, 02:45:40 AM »
More greatness. There's some slightly more uplifting melodies in there. And slightly more emphasis on the snare in places.  Great solo. Jens is sounding monstrous. Love it.

I'm pretty down on extreme metal vocals these days. Sounds so standard/unimaginative/boring/unjustified/empty to me for the most part. But Jens really delivers.  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #610 on: January 28, 2022, 02:55:46 PM »
Had a proper listen with headphones recently and man the sonic quality is intense. It's a brutally relentless song and I agree Jens vocals are so in your face. This is properly the closest thing to getting punched in the face by Haake!

I can't wait to blast this in my car!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #611 on: January 30, 2022, 02:58:59 PM »
I'm actually pretty happy with it too. Wasn't super excited about their last album, but this sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #612 on: March 17, 2022, 06:52:06 AM »
It's the knife that's really the cherry on top for me.

WATCH OUT! That flaming nuclear skeleton has got A KNIFE! :lol

Just wanted to drop back in to say that this comment has been living rent free in my head for the past two months.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #613 on: April 03, 2022, 09:47:15 AM »
Just been out for a run and listened to a chunk of the new album. Very nice.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 01:06:24 PM by DoctorAction »

Offline Lupton

« Reply #614 on: April 03, 2022, 11:04:24 AM »
Been spinning this all weekend. Lots to enjoy here. The Lovgren penned tunes are especially "bouncy".  Swedish funk  :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #615 on: April 10, 2022, 09:20:31 AM »
This is an excellent record. There's almost a playful vibe in places. And I love the slight variations they've pulled in too. Class act.

Online faizoff

« Reply #616 on: April 10, 2022, 02:48:54 PM »
Ligature Marks is an early favorite, so chunky.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #617 on: April 19, 2022, 04:56:03 AM »
Can't get into the album, like, at all for some reason. It seems to lack standout moments and the production is super artificial. I was just digging how The Violent Sleep of Reason sounded, most notably in the drum department. There it sounds like the man is smacking the shit out of a real drum kit. Here it's just all samples or so it seems. It seems to lack energy and a certain creativitiy that tracks like Clockworks, Ivory Tower and Stifled did have on the previous record.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #618 on: April 19, 2022, 11:42:38 AM »
Meshuggah has always been very repetitive and monotonous but I feel like the song quality on these past couple releases hasn't been up to their standards apart from a few exceptions. The songwriting credits might have something to do with that - it's basically all Hagström and Lövgren and no Thordendal.

Re: the new album: Broken Cog is good, Phantoms and Ligature Marks are alright, nothing else really stands out (and They Move Below is just really boring). Nothing anywhere close to the quality of Clockworks either, which was the one saving grace of the last album.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #619 on: April 19, 2022, 05:51:38 PM »
Well, The Violent Sleep of Reason was mostly all Lovgren & Haake with barely any contributions from Hagstrom. The only difference I see in the writing department on this new one is Hagstrom is contributing much more than he did on the last one. Thordendal hasn't contributed anything to a Meshuggah record since Koloss.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #620 on: April 23, 2022, 02:46:12 PM »
I'm still of the opinion that this is a step up from their last album. As buddyhunter said, Broken Cog, Phantoms, and Ligature Marks are the best tracks, probably with Phantoms as my personal favorite. I also see what you're saying about They Move Below. It's a bit too long for its tempo, making it feel like it drags, but there are still some cool stuff in there (I particularly like the ending riff).

As far as production, I actually like this better than the last one as well, but that's mostly on the guitar-side of things. Couldn't really say about the drums.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #621 on: May 19, 2022, 04:03:23 PM »
Have been listening to this album in my car the whole week. I must say the sonic quality is top notch.

Highlight is the intro to The Faultless, man that basstone along with that riff is just mindblowing!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #622 on: May 29, 2022, 10:39:59 AM »
Meshuggah - The Abysmal Eye (Lighting production rehearsal)

It's really off the chains, what a package they delivere onstage. That's how you utilize lights in a proper way!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #623 on: June 11, 2022, 05:25:59 AM »
I have to see this tour, probably the most well put together production they've done from the footage i've seen.

The buildup from Mind's Mirrors to In Death - Is Life is just immense with the lights and everything.
https://youtu.be/DskOb76E7eM?t=2389
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 06:22:06 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #624 on: June 13, 2022, 02:17:20 PM »
I have to see this tour, probably the most well put together production they've done from the footage i've seen.

The buildup from Mind's Mirrors to In Death - Is Life is just immense with the lights and everything.

Holy Mother of God.   :omg: :omg: :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #625 on: June 14, 2022, 06:39:39 AM »

I'd like to try and make time to watch this, with a few beers. After a few listens I'm quite liking the new album. I think it feels less of a full on assault of the senses, compared to like all their other albums. There are moments of calm between the chaos and I need that. I do find Meshuggah to be an exhausting listen at times.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #626 on: June 20, 2022, 03:59:47 AM »

I'd like to try and make time to watch this, with a few beers. After a few listens I'm quite liking the new album. I think it feels less of a full on assault of the senses, compared to like all their other albums. There are moments of calm between the chaos and I need that. I do find Meshuggah to be an exhausting listen at times.
Oh man even though Meshuggah is one of my favourite metal bands even I can't listen to them too much in a stretch, no worries about that. Their music is immense and relentless but the way I see it I enjoy Meshuggah the most in moderate doses.

Btw someone mentioned the dude going absolutely bezerk at the top right corner of the standing area with the security getting worried about him. Just a little scene unfolding in the grand scheme of things.  :lol https://youtu.be/DskOb76E7eM?t=4695
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 04:07:45 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #627 on: July 20, 2022, 01:24:44 PM »
Have been listening to this album in my car the whole week. I must say the sonic quality is top notch.

Highlight is the intro to The Faultless, man that basstone along with that riff is just mindblowing!

Spun this one fully again today. Great stuff. Reminds me why I loved this band in the first place.

Something that stuck out today was the almost-jazzy tempo weirdness at the end of I Am That Thirst.  :tup

Offline Bentower

« Reply #628 on: September 07, 2022, 04:29:19 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjw7pCs4tD0

Some holy grail shit for old-school, None/DEI-era fans. 28 minutes of pro-shot footage from Swedish TV, of which only Humiliative has made the rounds before. The quality is killer for '97.

It's just a shame that Fredrik suffers from tech diffs for the majority of it, during his solos, to be precise. I believe it had something to do with his wireless setup and/or the "33" breath controller.
It's both awkward and strange that he didn't have the 33 strapped to the mic stand at this point.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #629 on: September 17, 2022, 10:48:49 AM »
Saw Meshuggah with Converge last night, but I had to leave halfway through their set in order to catch the last train back home. :\ Looking at the setlist though, doesn't look like I missed too much. Pretty underwhelming choice of songs. The lighting and sound were fantastic though.