Author Topic: ABBA Voyage show  (Read 753 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
ABBA Voyage show
« on: June 12, 2022, 04:01:55 PM »
Saw this today. Beautiful presentation. If you have the slightest fondness for these guys then go and check it out. Terrific entertainment.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: ABBA Voyage show
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 04:10:30 AM »
ABBA are certainly trendsetters - their tribute act, Bjorn Again, were the first tribute band to play shows with the same level of production values (and ticket prices) you'd expect from a "proper" band (before them, tribute bands were playing in local bars) - today just about every major artist has tribute bands, and they're no longer considered a joke, and Bjorn Again actually licence their name to franchises in other countries (!)
Mamma Mia! was possibly the first artist-specific jukebox musical, and remains the most successful, today there's dozens of them, from We Will Rock You to Jersey Boys and Beautiful. It's the way legacy pop music finds it's audience.
ABBA Voyage may not be the first hologram show, but it's the biggest to date, and the first in a bespoke arena. It needs to make billions to break even, and all signs are it will. Bespoke ABBArenas are being planned in other territories. 
So yes, this is the future of popular music.
Expect to see Queen, The Beatles, and every other legacy act you can think of coming to a custom-built holo-arena near you. There's a reason music isn't what it used to be - and that reason is that it's exactly the same as it ever was.  People don't want the new, they just want the old, re-sold to them over and over again.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 04:28:29 AM »
Was there a link attached? I can’t seem to see it.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 07:28:56 AM »
The show looks amazing, I'm thinking of going to see it when I visit England later this year.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 02:00:08 PM »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 02:16:54 PM »
Ok, I'm sure me and a couple of warhorses are confused about the presentation of this endeavor from ABBA.

So from what I can tell, what the crowd sees is ABBA from their younger age as a virtual avatar, but the motions were captured by the band themselves beforehand?  Also, is the music done live on their end or by someone else?

I'm sure visually it looks cool and all and will placate ABBA fans that wants something from them live for so long, but the main appeal to live music for me is how the band interacts and reacts to their audience at any given moment.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 02:56:37 PM »
Ok, I'm sure me and a couple of warhorses are confused about the presentation of this endeavor from ABBA.

So from what I can tell, what the crowd sees is ABBA from their younger age as a virtual avatar, but the motions were captured by the band themselves beforehand?  Also, is the music done live on their end or by someone else?

I'm sure visually it looks cool and all and will placate ABBA fans that wants something from them live for so long, but the main appeal to live music for me is how the band interacts and reacts to their audience at any given moment.
They used younger dancers for the mo-cap, but the "moves" were "inspired" from older performances.
There is a proper band on stage.
No, it's not really the same, or what I want from a concert. It's an interesting idea, and it looks spectacular, but I want a concert, not a movie.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 12:03:16 AM »
It's not a live concert, as far as the ABBA members are concerned, of course. But the closest you're going to get, in a digital, juiced up way.

I don't want to give much away but there are musicians too.