Author Topic: Do you believe the woman is the homemaker and the man is the breadwinner?  (Read 17589 times)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
There is good and bad to both ways
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline j

No. Sure, there are some biological and social leanings toward those things, but it can all change easily.

Does TDoL own a whip, by any chance?

Generally not.  It's hard not to notice that the genders are built for different roles.  However,  I don't think there's any reason that people should be pigeon-holed into assigned roles because of silly societal expectations. 

Those.

However, I think a woman can do anything a man can do just as well.

I don't think this (or the reverse) is necessarily true.  Like others have said, it depends on the individuals.  It's probably best that each "play to their strengths", so to speak, and often those strengths are partially sculpted by biology and socialization.

My wife (got married Thursday) and I are currently both breadlosers.  Tough to get by in this situation, let me tell you.

-J

Offline ogrejedi

• DT.net Veteran
  • Run, run or you'll be well-done!
Well, technically, the Man is physically stronger.  It's science, not opinion.

What if the couple consists of a physically weak male and a physically strong female? It happens sometimes.
"Who are these swine? These flag-sucking half-wits who get fleeced and fooled by stupid little rich kids like George Bush? They are the same ones who wanted to have Muhammad Ali locked up for refusing to kill gooks. They speak for all that is cruel and stupid and vicious in the American character. They are the racists and hate mongers among us; they are the Ku Klux Klan. I piss down the throats of these Nazis. And I am too old to worry about whether they like it or not. Fuck them."

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
Well, technically, the Man is physically stronger.  It's science, not opinion.

What if the couple consists of a physically weak male and a physically strong female? It happens sometimes.
That's what I'm saying.  I'm not saying in two individuals they are both equal and can do the same things each other can do.  I'm making a generalization that the female population can do most if not all what a man can do, and same with the reverse.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I do believe the man should be "the man" (aka breadwinner, head of the household, etc.) and the woman should be his supporter, homemaker. Yes, it's based off my faith.

So, before I get flamed (I assume), I'm NOT saying women are inferior to men. I believe what I do because I believe it's what God intended. It's not an issue of physical proportions so much as it is knowing your role in this life as a man or woman. I know many won't agree with this, but I know a lot of Christians who do agree with this.

There are some Bible verses to back up some of what I am saying, and I want to reexamine them because it's been a while since I've looked at that part of Scripture.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I know many won't agree with this, but I know a lot of Christians who do agree with this.
I know a lot of Christians who don't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
I know many won't agree with this, but I know a lot of Christians who do agree with this.

There are many discussions of the bible here, and in them there are certain points of view held by some that some say are supported by the bible.  Things dealing with homosexuality for example, and here regarding the role of women.  It is positions like these that do not allow me to consider the bible as divine, or divinely inspired.  They simply go against what I feel in my heart is true, right, equal, and just.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
There are many discussions of the bible here, and in them there are certain points of view held by some that some say are supported by the bible.  Things dealing with homosexuality for example, and here regarding the role of women.  It is positions like these that do not allow me to consider the bible as divine, or divinely inspired.  They simply go against what I feel in my heart is true, right, equal, and just.

This. Oh so this.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH

This. Oh so this.

without touching on the questions you highlighted, if the bible is really the creators message to us, how I 'feel in my heart" is beside the point.  I have wrong feelings all the time.  I would encourage you to reject the divine message on evidence rather than on feelings.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
I need to stop posting in threads that I won't care about later.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member

This. Oh so this.

without touching on the questions you highlighted, if the bible is really the creators message to us, how I 'feel in my heart" is beside the point.  I have wrong feelings all the time.  I would encourage you to reject the divine message on evidence rather than on feelings.

Lets go stone gays because god tells us to.

Yeah...no.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
There are many discussions of the bible here, and in them there are certain points of view held by some that some say are supported by the bible.  Things dealing with homosexuality for example, and here regarding the role of women.  It is positions like these that do not allow me to consider the bible as divine, or divinely inspired.  They simply go against what I feel in my heart is true, right, equal, and just.

This. Oh so this.

without touching on the questions you highlighted, if the bible is really the creators message to us, how I 'feel in my heart" is beside the point.  I have wrong feelings all the time.  I would encourage you to reject the divine message on evidence rather than on feelings.

I have never seen "evidence" for or against it being divine, so I cant take that into consideration

EDIT: And they arent just "feelings"...they are basic principles on which I live my life.  Love and Equality to name a few.  A god that doesnt have those as a cornerstone of his "word" is not something I want to be a part of.  It is moot wether or not the bible is divine, as it isnt something I want to be associated with, divine or not, if it goes against my principles.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:28:59 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yeshaberto

thanks for the clarification, eric...principles are more reliable than feelings IMO

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
thanks for the clarification, eric...principles are more reliable than feelings IMO

Are you saying that we should decide how to live our lives based off of evidence? Or that unless we can prove god doesn't exist, we should live by the bibles laws, no matter how little sense they make?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

I wasn't referring to either in my response to Eric...

I am saying that we should accept/reject the scriptures based on evidence.
Because I am convinced that the scriptures are the words of the creator, I live by them despite how little sense they make.  In reality, though, the more I study them and experience life, I find that the things that "feel" like they don't make sense are actually perfectly clear.

Online Adami

Because I am convinced that the scriptures are the words of the creator, I live by them despite how little sense they make.  In reality, though, the more I study them and experience life, I find that the things that "feel" like they don't make sense are actually perfectly clear.

Oh I know, sorry, I just quoted the most recent quote by you. Anyway, are you saying this on a case by case basis? Or an all or nothing deal?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

sorry, still not sure what you are referring to/asking

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member

How is treating your women like shit, stoning your kids when they are drunkards, and stoning men who had sex with other men "clear" and moral?

Online Adami

sorry, still not sure what you are referring to/asking

I'm not sure how I could make it more clear, but I'll try.

Let's veiw the bible as a collection of laws and morals (obviously amongst other things). Are you saying that we should examine each of these independently and decide if we will or will not live by them based on evidence found in life? Or is it an all or nothing deal, meaning that if you can't disprove all of them, you have to follow all of them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

oh, gotcha now  :P

yes and no.

the tanach is for the nation of Israel.  it was a theocracy that God designed specifically to usher in the messianic promise he made to abraham in Gen 12.  while there are principles of that covenant of Israel that are universal (ie. do not murder, covet, commit adultery, etc), that covenant was not for anyone except the nation of Israel.  it is full of sacrificial laws, judicial laws that related to their economy, etc.  while I love the tanach and learn many things from it, there is nothing in it that I live by except as it is demonstrated in the covenant of the messiah. 
so, no, there are no laws in that covenant for me because I am not of the nation of Israel and because I believe they have already been fulfilled in the messiah.

as for the covenant of the Messiah, yes.  everything in it is for me as a follower of the messiah.  If I don't understand it, I still need to follow it.  In reality, the covenant of the Messiah is distinctly different from the covenant of Israel because one is based on rules for a nation and the other is based on principles for an individual.

Online Adami

Yes, I know the standard view. But I don't see how what you just said has anything at all to do with what you were talking about before.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
I would be a far worse person had my mom not been a stay at home mom. I think it should be that way, but, I don't think the women are the "weaker" sex, or their role is any less important. I think raising children is equally as hard as a good amount of jobs.
gone

Offline yeshaberto

Yes, I know the standard view. But I don't see how what you just said has anything at all to do with what you were talking about before.

if you are talking about feelings being a standard to determine truth, that is just what I have learned in my life.  many things felt like they were good or bad, but it did not necessarily reflect reality.  evidence is what reflects reality.  a good murder mystery leads you to "feel" like everyone in the story is a suspect, but in the end you learn the evidence and find out it was the last guy you would've expected

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Again I quote:

How is treating your women like shit, stoning your kids when they are drunkards, and stoning men who had sex with other men "clear" and moral?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:28:59 PM by 73109 »

Online Adami

if you are talking about feelings being a standard to determine truth, that is just what I have learned in my life.  many things felt like they were good or bad, but it did not necessarily reflect reality.  evidence is what reflects reality.  a good murder mystery leads you to "feel" like everyone in the story is a suspect, but in the end you learn the evidence and find out it was the last guy you would've expected

So if I have evidence of one thing, but the bible says the opposite, I should trust the evidence over the bible?

Sorry, I'm just trying to follow you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

good question...

can you give me an example of evidence that defies the covenant of the messiah?

Online Adami

good question...

can you give me an example of evidence that defies the covenant of the messiah?

Well, I am not extremely familiar with the specific laws jesus spoke about. I consider paul to be worthless, so I have no desire to argue about anything he preached. But since I'm a jew, I guess I could use the tanach for this one.

I don't see anything wrong with homosexuality. I see evidence that they generally lead fine healthy life styles and are fine people and thus have no reason to think it's bad in the slightest bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Again I quote:

Online Adami

Again I quote:

Just so you can stop quoting yourself, no one here believes the laws of the tanach should be upheld. If you want to replace those with instances from Jesus or ....eh....paullll.....then that would make more sense here. All of the christians abandoned that, and none of the jews are that insane.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Seventh Son

I'm not a Christian and I don't agree with it. I won't lie here, I'm not exactly the words biggest risk taker. I don't care to be one. I usually "play it safe" if you will. I'm just not the type of person to dive head-first into things without thinking. Call it a lack of balls if you want, idgaf

That being said, I like being around people like that. I just don't care to be that type of person myself. So a female partner like that would be ideal for me, personally. And I have no interest in having children either, so the whole "who takes care of the kids thing" won't ever come up!  :)
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I do believe the man should be "the man" (aka breadwinner, head of the household, etc.) and the woman should be his supporter, homemaker. Yes, it's based off my faith.

So, before I get flamed (I assume), I'm NOT saying women are inferior to men. I believe what I do because I believe it's what God intended. It's not an issue of physical proportions so much as it is knowing your role in this life as a man or woman. I know many won't agree with this, but I know a lot of Christians who do agree with this.

There are some Bible verses to back up some of what I am saying, and I want to reexamine them because it's been a while since I've looked at that part of Scripture.

Can I ask you something personal here? In this specific case, do you really have the impression the Bible is making you a better person? I mean, I take it you know there are strong women, and there are weak men, who would live a life or misery in your scheme.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zoom E

I've been reading so much in the media lately about how gender roles are gradually being reversed. Girls are doing so much better in school than boys, and, as stated in the article linked to below, women are more successful than men in the new knowledge-based economy. I don't for a minute think that a complete reversal of roles will happen, as is suggested in this article as a possibility, but it's interesting to contemplate.

https://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Economics+drives+revolution+roles+Will+able+handle/3265407/story.html

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Can I ask you something personal here? In this specific case, do you really have the impression the Bible is making you a better person? I mean, I take it you know there are strong women, and there are weak men, who would live a life or misery in your scheme.

rumborak

Do you mean strong/ weak physically?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI

rumborak

Do you mean strong/ weak physically?

Don't mean to interject; but what would it matter? If you are doing a task that you are weak at in anyway and it is making you miserable than is there really a difference? Not really.

Offline kirbywelch92

I'm just going to ignore everything said thus far and say this:

When I'm married, it's not my home, it's OUR home.
It's not my children, it's OUR children.
It's not my dinner, it's OUR dinner.
As far as I'm concerned, how those things become OURS is not really relevant to me (except the children of course :neverusethis:).