Author Topic: Once In A Livetime Appreciation  (Read 14282 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Once In A Livetime Appreciation
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 07:43:58 PM »
The crowd singing the harmonies at the end of "Learning to Live" and then having that sudden burst of voices when JLB holds the mic out to the crowd (as seen on 5YIAL) as they transition into the last part of "A Change of Seasons" is hands down the coolest live DT moment on CD or DVD ever. :hat

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 08:09:09 PM »
That's definitely one of the best parts of that DVD.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »
I think I noticed awhile ago that, after the release of Chaos In Motion, that MP may slowly be giving us newer/better versions of the songs presented on OIALT on subsequent official live releases-
"A Change Of Seasons" is featured in full on LSFNY
"Puppies On Acid" is just the opening of "The Mirror", which is also on LFSNY (with the end of "Lie" tacked on to boot)
"Just Let Me Breathe" is also on LSFNY
"Voices" is featured on LSFNY as part of the entire AMBI suite
"Take The Time", "Lines In The Sand" and "Scarred" all feature on CIM
"Trial Of Tears" and "Hollow Years" were on LAB (in much better versions, IMO)
And finally, "Pull Me Under", "Metropolis" and "Learning To Live" all have FULL versions on LAB, LSFNY/SCORE and LSFNY respectively.

"Ytse Jam", "Take Away My Pain", "Caught In A Web", "Lie" and "Peruvian Skies" are the only songs not to be featured on a later live release, not counting the mash-up of "Caught In A Web" and "New Millennium".

It just seems odd that, for a band that tries to vary their set list for live recordings, they are (by design or coincidence) slowly giving us songs that were already featured on OIALT. One thing I *do* like about this live album is the solo spots because we don't get a keyboard/guitar/drum solo spots one every album (it's usually just keyboard), so that always makes this one a bit unique. Also, all the little covers they throw in the songs gives it a bit of uniqueness that isn't on other live releases.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 08:40:20 PM »
I also enjoy LaBrie's F# on the LTL medley.  So.

LaBrie did not hit an F# on that album.

Pretty sure he does.  3:06 on Learning to Live.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2010, 08:42:40 PM »
Lines in the Sand on Once in a LIVEtime is my favourite version. So much energy to it.
Also, Take Away My Pain with the sax = wonderful
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »
I think MP just realized that, while 5YIALT wasn't bad, it also didn't give many of those songs the big-budget DVD performances they deserve. I really hope they get around to doing LitS and Scarred on proper DVDs.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2010, 09:18:01 PM »
I think MP just realized that, while 5YIALT wasn't bad, it also didn't give many of those songs the big-budget DVD performances they deserve. I really hope they get around to doing LitS and Scarred on proper DVDs.

I take it you weren't satisfied with CiM?

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2010, 09:25:35 PM »
I love CiM for what it is. I'd still love to see Budokan/Score quality versions of those songs.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2010, 09:31:20 PM »
I love CiM for what it is. I'd still love to see Budokan/Score quality versions of those songs.

Well, I don't care if I never see Scarred released again.
But yes, a quality recording of Lines in the Sand would be great.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 11:30:42 PM »
...I'm pretty sure the version on LaB counts ;)

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »
Not a very good performance.  I have never listened to this album much.

I completely agree.  James is utterly awful on this.  And, I think my defending of James on this forum is well known enough to be an indication of just how strongly I feel about this.  I mean, awful.  I know it wasn't his fault, but I just can't even listen to Voices or Take the Time.  I'd be embarassed for anyone to even hear those songs.  Take Away my Pain is amazing, though. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2010, 04:55:45 AM »
I also enjoy LaBrie's F# on the LTL medley.  So.

Pretty sure he does.  3:06 on Learning to Live.
This.  It's not where THE F# is, because they don't do that part in this performance, but he hit one.

...I'm pretty sure the version on LaB counts ;)
Version of what?  Lines in the Sand isn't on LAB.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2010, 05:15:43 AM »
Not a very good performance.  I have never listened to this album much.

I completely agree.  James is utterly awful on this.  And, I think my defending of James on this forum is well known enough to be an indication of just how strongly I feel about this.  I mean, awful.  I know it wasn't his fault, but I just can't even listen to Voices or Take the Time.  I'd be embarassed for anyone to even hear those songs.  Take Away my Pain is amazing, though. 

Yeah. Take the Time is atrocious.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2010, 06:14:17 AM »
Amazing live album, I'm a big fan.  I also don't mind Labrie on this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2010, 08:08:57 AM »
Lines in the Sand on Once in a LIVEtime is my favourite version. So much energy to it.
Also, Take Away My Pain with the sax = wonderful

Live at Bucharest got the best LITS version! That guitar solo! And that cool wicked mellow instrumental short section before those added lyrics part, just pure awesome, and the keys are so loud which is very cool

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2010, 08:21:37 AM »
I also enjoy LaBrie's F# on the LTL medley.  So.

Pretty sure he does.  3:06 on Learning to Live.
This.  It's not where THE F# is, because they don't do that part in this performance, but he hit one.

I wouldn't say he "hits" an F#.  He may have momentarily flown by one when just going for that scream, but that's not the same as singing a note and nailing it.

"Ytse Jam", "Take Away My Pain", "Caught In A Web", "Lie" and "Peruvian Skies" are the only songs not to be featured on a later live release...

I believe most of those are probably coming relatively soon.  I don't think Ytsejam is needed.  James was really struggling on OIALT, but the band wasn't.  This song is fine as is.  And with Peruvian Skies, I think James did fine.  That only leaves the other three, and it's about time for most of those to be played and captured on a live performance, I think. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2010, 08:36:35 AM »
"Ytse Jam", "Take Away My Pain", "Caught In A Web", "Lie" and "Peruvian Skies" are the only songs not to be featured on a later live release...

I believe most of those are probably coming relatively soon.  I don't think Ytsejam is needed.  James was really struggling on OIALT, but the band wasn't.  This song is fine as is.  And with Peruvian Skies, I think James did fine.  That only leaves the other three, and it's about time for most of those to be played and captured on a live performance, I think. 

Exactly. And "Caught In A Web" WAS to be featured on LAB but due to time, it had to be cut. Also, they have been playing "Lie" with "The Mirror" lately, so maybe it'll stick around for the next tour? Also, "Take Away My Pain" and perhaps one or two other FII songs would be great. I recall MP saying he wanted to bring back "You Not Me" when writing the FII Demos liner notes a couple years ago, so maybe he'll work that one in too. After those two, they'd just need to release "Burning My Soul", "Hell's Kitchen" and "Anna Lee", but unfortunately the latter two might be less likely than TAMP and YNM.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »
Wow, this is an appreciation thread that I wouldn't have expected in a millions years.  But hey, someone's gotta like it right?  I do remember this live album having a few special moments but overall, not really.  Can't remember the last time I listened to it.  Some of it can be appreciated, but I don't understand how someone can call it amazing.  :-\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2010, 01:30:31 PM »
I lost interest in DT and music in general around the time of this release as my life was spiraling out of control, so I wasn't aware of its existence until years later, and by then I heard so many negative things about it, I never bothered to check it out. And by then we had Live Scenes and Budokan anyway.

I’ve only listened to samples, and they don’t really scream “C’mon, buy me, Cool Chris.” God that sax on TAMP was an awful inclusion.

Also, "Take Away My Pain" and perhaps one or two other FII songs would be great. I recall MP saying he wanted to bring back "You Not Me" when writing the FII Demos liner notes a couple years ago, so maybe he'll work that one in too. After those two, they'd just need to release "Burning My Soul", "Hell's Kitchen" and "Anna Lee", but unfortunately the latter two might be less likely than TAMP and YNM.

-Marc.

I wouldn’t say we need live versions of Burning My Soul and Anna Lee to be released. We sure as heck don’t need You Not/Or Me to make any appearances.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
I lost interest in DT and music in general around the time of this release as my life was spiraling out of control, so I wasn't aware of its existence until years later, and by then I heard so many negative things about it, I never bothered to check it out. And by then we had Live Scenes and Budokan anyway.

I’ve only listened to samples, and they don’t really scream “C’mon, buy me, Cool Chris.” God that sax on TAMP was an awful inclusion.

Also, "Take Away My Pain" and perhaps one or two other FII songs would be great. I recall MP saying he wanted to bring back "You Not Me" when writing the FII Demos liner notes a couple years ago, so maybe he'll work that one in too. After those two, they'd just need to release "Burning My Soul", "Hell's Kitchen" and "Anna Lee", but unfortunately the latter two might be less likely than TAMP and YNM.

-Marc.

I wouldn’t say we need live versions of Burning My Soul and Anna Lee to be released. We sure as heck don’t need You Not/Or Me to make any appearances.

Its nothing groundbreaking, but there are some cool performances on there, so if you haven't already heard the whole thing I suggest you buy it next time you see it cheap.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2010, 01:47:52 PM »

You mean boring versions?

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2010, 02:50:51 PM »

Does not compute.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2010, 02:53:54 PM »
I can't really get into the Budokan and Score performances. Sure they're performed very well but there's something lifeless about them. I can't watch Budokan for more than 2 or 3 songs despite the gorgeous production value.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »
I can't really get into the Budokan and Score performances. Sure they're performed very well but there's something lifeless about them. I can't watch Budokan for more than 2 or 3 songs despite the gorgeous production value.
I get that a little about Budokan (they were exhausted), but I don't get that at all with Score.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2010, 04:23:02 PM »

You're talking so someone who's watched Score and Budokan each dozens of times. So, no.  :D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
I get that a little about Budokan (they were exhausted), but I don't get that at all with Score.

This.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »
I also enjoy LaBrie's F# on the LTL medley.  So.

Pretty sure he does.  3:06 on Learning to Live.

I wouldn't say he "hits" an F#.  He may have momentarily flown by one when just going for that scream, but that's not the same as singing a note and nailing it.

'Soul' is sung in F# pretty much the whole way through.  Give our boy some credit! :lol 

I think Jordan even says "Nice F# there, James" or words to that effect on the 5Years commentary.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2010, 09:45:48 PM »
Since we're on the topic of James' voice, let me say this much:

In general, I prefer the mistakes James was making back then-- running out of breath, singing parts lower, etc-- than the mistakes he's making now-- denasally forcing and holding out those high notes.

The good thing is he hasn't made many mistakes at all recently.  I feel like from the Awake tour 'til all the way through the Train of Thought tour, you just knew he wasn't going to deliver on certain songs--like Voices or Take the Time-- no matter how he was doing that night. On the past two tours, he's managed to nail Voices, Take the Time, and Surrounded far more often than not.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:51:17 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2010, 11:17:45 PM »
Yeah.  I'm sure he's using some processing to help him do that.  But, that's okay with me because Petrucci uses processors on his guitar tone.... so what's the difference? 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »
I highly doubt he's using any processing to help him hit notes better, at the most he's using compressers, EQs, reverbs and the random special effect. All of which are used by any singer at that level of performance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2010, 12:20:40 AM »

This.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2010, 06:24:33 AM »
Check out this live version of Metropolis from around the same time frame. I think Jordan is in this and it's one of the first gigs he did with the band. I could be totally wrong though.

LaBrie must have had a sore throat for a week after this performance. I quite lke some of hs vocals though, even though he obviously sounds hoarse and cracks a bit, he's really going for the notes and nails some of then quite well. Check the Petrucci blunder in the section before the last verse.  This is neverteless, DT at their rawest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgxkOKmNMUw
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2010, 08:53:22 AM »
I highly doubt he's using any processing to help him hit notes better, at the most he's using compressers, EQs, reverbs and the random special effect. All of which are used by any singer at that level of performance.

Yeah, this.

Staying on key isn't James issue, and I don't think ruptured vocal chords effect ones ability to sing on pitch, so I don't think he'd need any kind of autotuner. If anything, he just uses reverb and stuff so he doesn't have to hold those notes out as long.

Though I'd read James has a habit of singing just a tiny, tiny bit flat. So tiny that it wouldn't be noticed live, while the band's pounding in your ears, but sometimes is noticeable on bootlegs and such.  I don't think it's a big enough problem for him to need autotune live. But you can definitely tell some areas on the BCaSL stems were it sounds like what note he's hitting has been changed electronically.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2010, 08:56:32 AM »
Check out this live version of Metropolis from around the same time frame. I think Jordan is in this and it's one of the first gigs he did with the band. I could be totally wrong though.

LaBrie must have had a sore throat for a week after this performance. I quite lke some of hs vocals though, even though he obviously sounds hoarse and cracks a bit, he's really going for the notes and nails some of then quite well. Check the Petrucci blunder in the section before the last verse.  This is neverteless, DT at their rawest.

Awesome, awesome video. That crowd sounded like it was there for a boy band :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2010, 08:56:50 AM »

Yeah. This is definitely from the early scenes tour, before John moved of the Ibanez.