Author Topic: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation  (Read 47076 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation
« Reply #245 on: March 28, 2021, 01:50:04 PM »
I love Testament and I love First Strike is Deadly. As far as I'm concerned The Big 4 should include Testament over Anthrax, without even a contest.

I think Testament are the only thrash band from the 80s, whose sound evolved and stayed relevant, heavy as fuck and never felt like they were trying to be relevant. I think their albums from the late 90s, and throughout the 2000s easily kept up with the bands breaking through in the metal scene at the time. I mean bands like Lamb of God owe a huge amount to Testament. They arguably have the most consistent discography as well. I fucking love them and should also do a full run through of their albums  :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2021, 12:29:26 AM »
I think Anthrax and Testament have been the most consistent of the big four five as time has gone on.

Slayer were my favourite overall but were largely unlistenable to me beyond a certain point, due to a massive dip in quality. Metallica, the same. And Megadeth were always just meh, for the most part.

I prefer Anthrax by quite a long way but, yeah, those guys and Testament have been pretty great all along in my book.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2021, 05:23:30 AM »
I just did that with Testament's discography a few weeks ago.  I usually just go to my favorite albums from them, but I pretty much listened to every single one of their albums, which led me to remember why I love so many of those records.

What's your opinion on First Strike Still Deadly? I actually consider it one of their best albums but I see many Testament fans pretend this album doesn't exist, because it's a collection of re-recorded songs from their first two albums.

When it came out, I loved it.  The production was excellent and it was fun to have some re-recorded classics since I didn't own the old records at that time.  The two that they did with Zetro are fun.  But the tempos of the songs are way too slow and it just takes something away from every song.  They were actually supposed to remaster and re-release the first two albums, but the label wouldn't let them.  So they got around the rights issue by re-recording them.  I just wish they kept the tempos at a faster pace.

I rarely listen to it anymore, aside from when I decide to go through every album, like I just did.  If I want some older songs with better production, I put on Live in London instead.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2021, 08:31:09 AM »
Been into Testament since The New Order. Finally got to see them on the Slayer farewell tour...
Skolnick is so amazing. Playing these impossible solos while making it look so easy with a big grin on his face.

Now that I'm more mature, listening to the old albums, I can hear what a terrible drummer Louie Clemente was.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2021, 09:34:49 AM »
I just did that with Testament's discography a few weeks ago.  I usually just go to my favorite albums from them, but I pretty much listened to every single one of their albums, which led me to remember why I love so many of those records.

What's your opinion on First Strike Still Deadly? I actually consider it one of their best albums but I see many Testament fans pretend this album doesn't exist, because it's a collection of re-recorded songs from their first two albums.

When it came out, I loved it.  The production was excellent and it was fun to have some re-recorded classics since I didn't own the old records at that time.  The two that they did with Zetro are fun.  But the tempos of the songs are way too slow and it just takes something away from every song.  They were actually supposed to remaster and re-release the first two albums, but the label wouldn't let them.  So they got around the rights issue by re-recording them.  I just wish they kept the tempos at a faster pace.

I rarely listen to it anymore, aside from when I decide to go through every album, like I just did.  If I want some older songs with better production, I put on Live in London instead.

Interesting. FSSD was my first Testament album, I loved it, and thought it was great 80s thrash with modern, professional production values. When I eventually heard the first 2 albums, I thought it was a sloppy mess with the drummer rushing the tempo often and the rhythm guitars trying to keep up, along with bad sounding production (to my teenage ears). This is when I was getting into Metallica and Megadeth and thought Kill Em All and Killing Is My Business was the gold standard on how you do thrash metal. Over time I have come to appreciate the first 2 albums and really like the cheap 80s production values now.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2021, 02:09:22 PM »
 Speaking of underrated bands, I think Flotsam & Jetsam are the unsung heroes of the first wave of thrash. Somehow they're only know nowadays for being "Jason Newsted's first band", but they're much more than that. I interviewed the whole band a few weeks ago, and it will be published in their profile this Friday, to promote their upcoming album. Check out this teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJnnccis2ZU

Offline darkshade

« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2021, 03:42:02 PM »
I remember listening to some F&J when I was in HS but never really got into them a whole lot. No Place For Disgrace was the only album I knew of theirs and the only one I've ever listened to.

Is Pantera groove-thrash? Cowboys From Hell and Vulgur Display of Power is up there with the best thrash metal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2021, 10:30:26 PM »
I remember listening to some F&J when I was in HS but never really got into them a whole lot. No Place For Disgrace was the only album I knew of theirs and the only one I've ever listened to.

Is Pantera groove-thrash? Cowboys From Hell and Vulgur Display of Power is up there with the best thrash metal.

Some of the riffing on VDOP is almost unbeatable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2021, 10:45:47 PM »

Some of the riffing on VDOP is almost unbeatable.

My listening to VDOP was largely .........put this riff on loop   ;D   :metal

https://youtu.be/tymWpEU8wpM?t=166

Which of course came from the Cowboys era demo  The Will To Survive (which also got a few listens )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3otXoDpOY0
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2021, 05:25:54 AM »
Amazing song and riff.

I'll give a shoutout to the underrated Regular People.  That first minute is insane.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #255 on: March 30, 2021, 07:47:42 AM »
Speaking of underrated bands, I think Flotsam & Jetsam are the unsung heroes of the first wave of thrash. Somehow they're only know nowadays for being "Jason Newsted's first band", but they're much more than that. I interviewed the whole band a few weeks ago, and it will be published in their profile this Friday, to promote their upcoming album. Check out this teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJnnccis2ZU
The funny thing is, although I knew F&J was Jason's first band, I never gave them a listen until Cuatro came out.  Definitely an evolution from where they started.  However, I played the shit out of that album when it came out.  I'd love to know how they got to write a song with Chris(topher) Cornell on that album.  Drift was a pretty solid follow-up, too.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #256 on: April 09, 2021, 09:48:07 AM »
Been listening to Gama Bomb the last coupla days. Great!

As a guy who is often tired of metal's straight-faced approach this totally fits the bill.

The whole band are really great. Amazing riffage and leads but the singer is fantastic. Souza/Belladonna/Biafra and i Just LOVE it when he throws on the Halfords!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #257 on: April 09, 2021, 06:47:42 PM »
The funny thing is, although I knew F&J was Jason's first band, I never gave them a listen until Cuatro came out.  Definitely an evolution from where they started.  However, I played the shit out of that album when it came out.  I'd love to know how they got to write a song with Chris(topher) Cornell on that album.  Drift was a pretty solid follow-up, too.

Cuatro has aged really well, but I remember feeling like it was pretty weak compared to the previous couple of albums. Drift was solid. That's it. For my money, it was the weakest of the "Original Six", or the first six albums.

EDIT: And just like that, I check my Release Radar on Spotify, and we have a new F&J track, Burn The Sky.
https://open.spotify.com/track/0JMc364YMZ68bMn1OoBm3D?si=Y2N_ebUHRoCA9WiqcacjGQ
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:52:50 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #258 on: May 09, 2021, 08:41:46 AM »
Listening to Testament's Brotherhood of the Snake album, it's good, solid, but doesn't seem to stick out as much as the band's previous handful of albums. I hope their newest album is a little better.

Offline TM172003

« Reply #259 on: May 09, 2021, 03:24:10 PM »
I actually think Brotherhood of the Snake is my favourite Testament album. I love the early albums, but I think Brotherhood keeps the same level of riffing but with much better production, and you can’t go wrong with Skolnick still playing lead.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: May 09, 2021, 04:24:05 PM »
I actually think Brotherhood of the Snake is my favourite Testament album. I love the early albums, but I think Brotherhood keeps the same level of riffing but with much better production, and you can’t go wrong with Skolnick still playing lead.

I'd easily take it over the newest one.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #261 on: May 09, 2021, 08:08:32 PM »

As a guy who is often tired of metal's straight-faced approach this totally fits the bill.

The whole band are really great. Amazing riffage and leads but the singer is fantastic. Souza/Belladonna/Biafra and i Just LOVE it when he throws on the Halfords!

Sounds good. I'll have to check them out. The name sounds familiar. I think I might've checked them out before.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #262 on: May 09, 2021, 08:22:36 PM »

Sounds good. I'll have to check them out. The name sounds familiar. I think I might've checked them out before.

I've only got Tales from the Grave in Space. I should probably check out some other of theirs.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2021, 09:44:31 AM »

It could grow on me over time, I've only heard it a few times. Skolnick is great on the album, for sure.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #264 on: May 12, 2021, 01:08:41 PM »

I've only got Tales from the Grave in Space. I should probably check out some other of theirs.

Speed Between The Lines and Untouchable Glory entertain me very much. I've only spun TFTGIS once but seemed similarly great.  :)

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2021, 03:39:25 AM »
This album guys, seriously...

Evil - Possessed by Evil

This is the latest album from Japanese blackened thrash band Evil. It's like one of those 80s thrash albums, that inspired lots of black/death metal bands. They're like Kreator, or... well, Possessed.

I'd highly recommend checking these guys out, great album.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #266 on: May 28, 2021, 03:23:54 PM »
Edging a teensy bit toward death metal, but amusing thrash like Gama Bomb, are Ghoul. Bloody great fun!

Dungeon Bastards
Splatterthrash

Both are great. The surf guitar breakdown and appearance of theremin on the latter are just fantastic.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 04:22:28 PM by DoctorAction »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2021, 04:15:05 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory

Offline nick_z

« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2021, 06:16:26 PM »
One of the surprises from 2020 for me  - the self-titled debut album from Ormskrik

Official full-album stream still here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RahYPPMFUwk

Blackened-thrash from Norway - SO good. Vocals are a bit more extreme than typical thrash (not too crazy, though), but the album can be surprisingly dynamic (and melodic) amidst the almost constant aggression.

Opener Occultness is an ok appetizer, but the goodies imo really start with the second song, "Destroyer of Worlds". After an opening riff that could fit in a classic Exodus album and an aggressive verse, the blackened influences start creeping in with the chorus. Then, another super-cool riff (and drumming) around the 1:45 mark and, a few seconds later, an acoustic interlude that builds up to a melodic, almost old-school Metallica section. Brilliant.

There's plenty of other tasty stuff next - "March of the Dead" (which in the last minute or so launches into a Disposable Heroes kind of riff). Then "Descend to Madness", which starts epic and keeps going back and forth between nasty thrash and tremolo-blackened riffing (with some very headbangable breakdown towards the end).

More great riffs in Hecatomb and The Morbid Arrives before a fantastic ending with Eye for an Eye - again thrash and black influences, then morphing into a truly beautiful finale, with harmonized Metallica-esque guitars and phat bass lines weaving in and out, and finally leaving the stage to acoustic guitars. Again, brilliant.

Highly recommended!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2021, 01:52:51 AM »
Sounds good, I'll queue it up  :metal

Anyone checked out Possessed by Evil yet?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2021, 07:28:40 AM »

I just did! It's great, lots and lots of fun. Very old school in the best possible way...love how the drums and the solos seem about to derail but never do  ;) The guitar work is actually excellent. And that ending with Evil Way of Life...

Good stuff, thanks for the recommendation!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2021, 08:28:53 AM »

I just did! It's great, lots and lots of fun. Very old school in the best possible way...love how the drums and the solos seem about to derail but never do  ;) The guitar work is actually excellent. And that ending with Evil Way of Life...

Good stuff, thanks for the recommendation!

Glad you liked it, it's likely to end up in my top 10 of the year.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #273 on: June 09, 2021, 11:37:53 AM »
Anyone into the new Evile album, Hell Unleashed?  I am enjoying it, but I do miss Matt Drake's vocals.  Ol's are not bad, but I prefer Matt's.  I think it is a solid album with some great riffage though.  Always really dug these guys, and Infected Nations is one of my favorite thrash albums.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #274 on: June 09, 2021, 02:46:08 PM »
Sounds good, I'll queue it up  :metal

Yeah. I quite enjoyed it. Ta. (Nothing's touching Ghoul or Gama Bomb for me still, though.)

Offline TM172003

« Reply #275 on: June 10, 2021, 12:38:28 PM »
Anyone into the new Evile album, Hell Unleashed?  I am enjoying it, but I do miss Matt Drake's vocals.  Ol's are not bad, but I prefer Matt's.  I think it is a solid album with some great riffage though.  Always really dug these guys, and Infected Nations is one of my favorite thrash albums.

I tried it as I’d never listened to them, but I didn’t even get past the first song. I thought the riffs were cool but the vocals are so shit.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #276 on: June 10, 2021, 05:24:04 PM »
Another recent thrash album I really enjoyed - this one is from 2019:

Inculter - Fatal Visions

I'm not seeing anything official on Youtube, but you can sample stuff on the album's Bandcamp page (and of course streaming services)

Thrash metal from Norway, again - but this is more classic, in the vein of early Kreator, Slayer and Sepultura. The latter especially for the vocals, which do sound like a young Max Cavalera, and the toms, which sound endearingly similar to those in Schizophrenia.

The sound and mixing are GREAT on this one. And the drumming is too - aggressive and super-dynamic.

The mode is primarily "high speed", but there are slower, evil Slayer-like moments interspersed here and there. The songs are consistently good - check out the opening salvo of Open the Tombs and Impending Doom for a taste...and then Endtime Winds and closer Through Relic Gates, with a more ominous sounding first half leading into a furiously fast ending.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #277 on: June 10, 2021, 07:24:47 PM »
Inculter - Fatal Visions

Yeah, that was a nice listen. Real old school for sure. I Saved it on Spotify. I think I'd have to really be in the mood for it though.

Impending Doom is a great track!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 07:46:07 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #278 on: July 21, 2021, 03:00:48 PM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #279 on: February 04, 2022, 06:34:33 AM »
New single from Kreator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVfEW5mgrd0

This is surprisingly good. To the point and with lots of energy. I have paid little to no attention to Kreator in...20 years...? What I have randomly heard here and there sounded like a tired rehash of their early days, after their "detours" in the 90s.