Author Topic: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation  (Read 47345 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation
« Reply #315 on: July 16, 2023, 01:04:08 PM »
Been on a little bit of a thrash kick this week, mainly been listening through Testament's back catalogue, so thought I’d rank my favourite thrash bands, just because…

1. Metallica
2. Megadeth
3. Slayer
4. Sepultura
5. Testament
6. Kreator
7. Suicidal Tendencies
8. Municipal Waste
9. Send More Paramedics
10. Vektor
11. Species
12. Annihilator
13. Droid
14. Exhorder
15. Anthrax
16. Exodus
17. Evile
18. SSS
19. Evil
20. Possessed
21. Coroner
22. Pizza Death
23. Chemicide
24. Tankard

Offline jammindude

« Reply #316 on: July 16, 2023, 01:08:29 PM »
Even though they only released two albums, for the debut alone, Vio-Lence needs to be on that list.

I’ve been digging back in to some old-school thrash over the last few days, and I still can’t believe how unbelievably good Eternal Nightmare is.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nick_z

« Reply #317 on: July 16, 2023, 01:53:08 PM »
Nice! Kudos for including Coroner, although they would be significantly higher on my list. A fantastic band, until the very end (Grin might not be your usual thrash, but it's an incredible album).

One that I would add - Anacrusis. Their thrashier beginnings are a bit messy, actually, but that's another band that finished amazingly strong with their last album, Screams and Whispers (1993).

Online faizoff

« Reply #318 on: July 16, 2023, 02:20:29 PM »
Been on a little bit of a thrash kick this week, mainly been listening through Testament's back catalogue, so thought I’d rank my favourite thrash bands, just because…

1. Metallica
2. Megadeth
3. Slayer
4. Sepultura
5. Testament
6. Kreator
7. Suicidal Tendencies
8. Municipal Waste
9. Send More Paramedics
10. Vektor
11. Species
12. Annihilator
13. Droid
14. Exhorder
15. Anthrax
16. Exodus
17. Evile
18. SSS
19. Evil
20. Possessed
21. Coroner
22. Pizza Death
23. Chemicide
24. Tankard

I haven't heard a lot of these bands, for me I'd absolutely add Overkill, Metal Church and Machine Head. Though I haven't listened to much of the later Metal Church albums.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #319 on: July 16, 2023, 02:37:49 PM »
Not sure how deep I could go on an all thrash list, but my favorite would be Flotsam & Jetsam.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #320 on: July 16, 2023, 02:50:50 PM »
I’ve never really considered Machine Head thrash, much like I wouldn’t consider Pantera thrash (as some seem to). If I did though, they’d be high up the list.

As for bands like Overkill, Metal Church and Vio-lence, I’ve heard a few of their albums but nothing has stuck enough at this point.

Edit: Also, while we’re on it, here’s a cool little thrash EP…

Terravore - Apocalyptic Impact

https://open.spotify.com/album/1rsroeXQ7XjI8ijxNL8Nnw?si=P6QFPz6pSUCUBVOKv8_1Yg
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 03:30:46 PM by twosuitsluke »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #321 on: July 17, 2023, 01:44:51 PM »
In a bid to give Exodus a bit more of a chance (I’ve never really listened to anything outside of their few classic albums), I’ve been listening through of some of their other albums today. Currently on Force of Habit. It’s not bad and might be the best Exodus album I’ve heard yet.

In many ways it seems as Exodus started doing what I’ve always loved Testament for doing in the late 90s (go for a heavier groove metal kinda sound). This album sounds really good, at least the reissue does. I’ve always kinda written Exodus off as a thrash band that never really pushed the genre forwards in the way my favourite thrash bands did. It seemed to me they were always playing catch up and never did. This one definitely sounds good enough to revisit though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #322 on: July 17, 2023, 02:58:09 PM »
I’ve never really considered Machine Head thrash, much like I wouldn’t consider Pantera thrash (as some seem to). If I did though, they’d be high up the list.

As for bands like Overkill, Metal Church and Vio-lence, I’ve heard a few of their albums but nothing has stuck enough at this point.

Edit: Also, while we’re on it, here’s a cool little thrash EP…

Terravore - Apocalyptic Impact

https://open.spotify.com/album/1rsroeXQ7XjI8ijxNL8Nnw?si=P6QFPz6pSUCUBVOKv8_1Yg

Re: Vio-Lence

Eternal Nightmare is the only album under consideration. But it’s really really REALLY fantastic.  Their second album just didn’t do much for me beyond a couple songs.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #323 on: July 17, 2023, 04:23:10 PM »
On Friday, early in the morning, Forbidden announced a "secret show" as "TWISTED INTO EVIL" on Sunday afternoon, July 16. I was able to nab a couple of tickets and my wife and I went. What a great rebirth for Forbidden. So much energy, and Norm Skinner, the band's new singer, taking over for Russ Anderson, who has retired, was phenomenal. I took a vid of "Step By Step," but that's all I got, as this was a crazy, absolutely crazy, old school metal show with a pit that took up most of the bar's floor.

Check it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exxzT2bdUn8

You can hear me singing the chorus pretty clearly. LOL. oops. I got excited. I had to hold the phone as far over my head as I could, as the place was packed and the stage was low. Plenty of video out there from other sources though.

:metal

Grabbed a setlist, and some other goodies. Nice to see some young people there too.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #324 on: July 17, 2023, 08:07:22 PM »
I love tiny little shows like that!   It's cool that they focused only on those first two albums, which are both badass.

In a bid to give Exodus a bit more of a chance (I’ve never really listened to anything outside of their few classic albums), I’ve been listening through of some of their other albums today. Currently on Force of Habit. It’s not bad and might be the best Exodus album I’ve heard yet.

In many ways it seems as Exodus started doing what I’ve always loved Testament for doing in the late 90s (go for a heavier groove metal kinda sound). This album sounds really good, at least the reissue does. I’ve always kinda written Exodus off as a thrash band that never really pushed the genre forwards in the way my favourite thrash bands did. It seemed to me they were always playing catch up and never did. This one definitely sounds good enough to revisit though.

My favorite Exodus records are Bonded by Blood and then the last three with Zetro - Tempo of the Damned, Blood in Blood Out, Persona Non Grata. 

The Dukes records are cool, but just don't grab me as much as those albums do. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #325 on: July 17, 2023, 09:02:27 PM »
I have a feeling a Forbidden show would massively disappoint me.

I think Green is far and away the best album they ever did. Forbidden Evil is obviously a thrash classic and I love that as well. I just thought Twisted sounded a bit more commercial overall. I mean, all the thrash bands started to find commercial success by mellowing their sound a bit, so I guess I don’t blame them. The title track is EXCELLENT.

But the first time I heard people say that Green wasn’t a thrash album, I was floored. I’d be willing to bet that album has a higher average BPM than Ride the Lightning. How can anyone argue that an album with Phat and Over the Middle isn’t a thrash album? Even on the most classic original thrash albums, not EVERY song goes at high speeds.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #326 on: July 18, 2023, 02:21:26 AM »
Gonna queue up the Vio-lence album today, and also Green by Forbidden. I know I’ve listened to Forbidden’s first two albums at least into double figures, but never checked out Green.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: July 18, 2023, 07:52:29 AM »

I think Green is far and away the best album they ever did. Forbidden Evil is obviously a thrash classic and I love that as well. I just thought Twisted sounded a bit more commercial overall. I mean, all the thrash bands started to find commercial success by mellowing their sound a bit, so I guess I don’t blame them. The title track is EXCELLENT.

But the first time I heard people say that Green wasn’t a thrash album, I was floored. I’d be willing to bet that album has a higher average BPM than Ride the Lightning. How can anyone argue that an album with Phat and Over the Middle isn’t a thrash album? Even on the most classic original thrash albums, not EVERY song goes at high speeds.

Green is killer. I was quite fond of Omega Wave as well.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #328 on: July 18, 2023, 11:46:43 PM »

Green is killer. I was quite fond of Omega Wave as well.

Agreed. And Russ (IMO) was the greatest voice of any thrash band…PERIOD.  Sad to see him retire, but I imagine “it’s better to burn out than fade away.”

Offline billboy73

« Reply #329 on: July 26, 2023, 08:17:34 AM »

1. Metallica
2. Megadeth
3. Slayer
4. Sepultura
5. Testament
6. Kreator
7. Suicidal Tendencies
8. Municipal Waste
9. Send More Paramedics
10. Vektor
11. Species
12. Annihilator
13. Droid
14. Exhorder
15. Anthrax
16. Exodus
17. Evile
18. SSS
19. Evil
20. Possessed
21. Coroner
22. Pizza Death
23. Chemicide
24. Tankard

Just curious what you thought about Souls of Black and The Ritual.  I've actually been listening to those 2 Testament albums a lot lately.  I've always enjoyed The Ritual a good bit, even with the slower tempos.  It's a solid listen overall.  I never really gave Souls of Black that much of a chance, but I'm liking it a good bit more now.  It has a few clunkers, but some really good stuff as well.  The first half of the record is really good.   

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2023, 08:45:05 AM »
The Ritual and Souls of Black are fine, I think Testaments early career is all pretty similar in quality. Practice What You Preach and The New Order are probably my favourites from the early part of their career. I way prefer everything from the late 90s onwards though. I think they are one of the few early thrash bands where I prefer their latter albums to their early.

In other thrash news, been listening to more Exodus and Forbidden this week, along with Exhorder.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #331 on: July 26, 2023, 09:22:42 AM »
Practice What You Preach will probably always be my favorite Testament album, but I really enjoy most of what they have done since Formation forward.  Dark Roots of Earth is great modern day thrash, and one of the best post 2000 thrash albums.

Never been super into Exodus, but I have been listening to them a good bit lately.   

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #332 on: July 31, 2023, 08:17:29 AM »
Just discovered a new sci-fi/tech thrash band, similar to Vektor.

Call of the Starforger by Vexovoid.

https://open.spotify.com/album/54MzIpWREwgwK4Tp8ij40v?si=Zj50VRRuTbeYgpJ6_0AjEw

Really cool stuff. There are a few more bands I need to check out that may be similar. I’ll post here if they’re any good.

Edit: Ok, so this band Paranorm is also pretty cool. Check out Desolate Worlds at least (unless your name is Nick or Tom, and you’re planning to host a roulette soon).

https://open.spotify.com/track/4hfvAAikDOmK5cd1DHq3Vv?si=QW6SM6wBQgmcy0nvbp3WIg
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 10:04:15 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: July 31, 2023, 10:26:01 AM »
re: Testament - love them. The Ritual is a great record. Like many bands, tried slowing it down a bit. It was good, even if it didn't catch on like some others.

Practice What You Preach is generally the one I reach for from them, along with Formation of Damnation. But I love the entire catalog. The only two that don't get a bunch of spins from me are The Gathering and Demonic. I like them, but a little TOO far into the death vocals. I remember when I first saw Testament in 2005. I had known of them, but after seeing them (it was Alex Skolnick's first tour back, I believe), I was floored, and went out at lunch the next day and bought their entire discography.

Online Grappler

« Reply #334 on: July 31, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »
The only two that don't get a bunch of spins from me are The Gathering and Demonic. I like them, but a little TOO far into the death vocals.

Demonic I can understand - I only like a few songs from the record (Demonic Refusal and The Burning Times, mainly), but The Gathering is amazing!  I can remember that record blowing me away during the summer of 1999 and almost every single song still kicks my ass.

My top 2 are The New Order and The Gathering.  I'm not a fan of the thin production on the old records though, which is why I rarely listen to Practice. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: July 31, 2023, 03:21:30 PM »
I have listened to The Gathering way more than Demonic.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #336 on: August 01, 2023, 05:00:53 AM »
Just discovered a new sci-fi/tech thrash band, similar to Vektor.

Call of the Starforger by Vexovoid.

https://open.spotify.com/album/54MzIpWREwgwK4Tp8ij40v?si=Zj50VRRuTbeYgpJ6_0AjEw

Really cool stuff. There are a few more bands I need to check out that may be similar. I’ll post here if they’re any good.

Edit: Ok, so this band Paranorm is also pretty cool. Check out Desolate Worlds at least (unless your name is Nick or Tom, and you’re planning to host a roulette soon).

https://open.spotify.com/track/4hfvAAikDOmK5cd1DHq3Vv?si=QW6SM6wBQgmcy0nvbp3WIg

:biggrin:

I know Paranorm and like their debut album very much!

I do NOT know Vexovoid, and it sounds like they are right up my alley. Will have to check them out.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #337 on: August 01, 2023, 05:07:35 AM »
re: Testament - love them. The Ritual is a great record. Like many bands, tried slowing it down a bit. It was good, even if it didn't catch on like some others.

The Ritual might not be among my very favorite Testament records, but I have very fond memories of when it came out. Yes, it was around the time when most thrash bands were streamlining things. Skolnick is so good on that one. I remember the video for Electric Crown - that was a GREAT single. I agree it could’ve (should’ve) been bigger…

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2023, 12:31:54 PM »
Count me as one who loves The Gathering (potentially favourite album). I can remember my Testament journey pretty accurately. After getting into thrash via Metallica, then Megadeth and Slayer, I started to branch out and try all this classic thrash albums. Very few of these really hit a chord with me. The Legacy was one of those albums. I can appreciate for what it is but it’s not in the same league as Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer (at least for me).

This was probably around ‘05, and I don’t think I got around to checking out anything else by the band until I picked up the compilation Days of Darkness in ‘08. I got it cheap from my local record store and didn’t look back. For those of you who aren’t aware, Days of Darkness is a compilation album of sorts. Disc 1 is made up solely of songs from Demonic and The Gathering, whilst Disc 2 was re-recorded songs (in their current heavy sound) from The Legacy and The New Order. Man, this is probably actually my favourite album because it hand picks the best songs and re-records some of their best songs in a style I prefer. I listened to this and thought (as a big Lamb of God fan at this time), “Man, LoG really ripped these guys off”. I’m not sure they did, but there are some pretty noticeable similarities on this record.

From there I was a converted fan, to a degree. I bought The Formation of Damnation that year and really dug that one. I picked up Dark Roots of Earth in ‘13 and that was the point I went back and downloaded all their older albums. I fell off around ‘14 as that was when I went all in with the prog metal, so missed Brotherhood of the Snake when it came out.

I’ll chuck out an album ranking, and also my favourite songs off the Days of Darkness comp.

1. First Strike is Deadly
2. The Gathering
3. Demonic
4. The Formation of Damnation
5. Practice What You Preach
6. The New Order
7. The Ritual
8. Dark Roots of Earth
9. Low
10. Souls of Black
11. The Legacy
12. Titans of Creation
13. Brotherhood of the Snake

Top songs from Days of Darkness while we’re at it…

Hatred’s Rise
Down For Life
D.N.R.
Fall of Sipledome
Into the Pit
Trial by Fire
Disciples of the Watch
Over the Wall
The New Order

Online Grappler

« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2023, 02:32:15 PM »
whilst Disc 2 was re-recorded songs (in their current heavy sound) from The Legacy and The New Order. Man, this is probably actually my favourite album because it hand picks the best songs and re-records some of their best songs in a style I prefer.

This actually came out earlier as First Strike Still Deadly.  Testament wanted to remaster/re-issue their old records, but they couldn't get the rights or masters from the prior label.  So they realized that they could re-record the music and get around the rights issue.  I remember it coming out and LOVING it because it put a current production on those songs, though they did slow down the tempos a bit.  Lately, I prefer the originals or live versions because of that tempo change.  But it's cool as hell that they did it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: August 02, 2023, 03:52:17 PM »
whilst Disc 2 was re-recorded songs (in their current heavy sound) from The Legacy and The New Order. Man, this is probably actually my favourite album because it hand picks the best songs and re-records some of their best songs in a style I prefer.

This actually came out earlier as First Strike Still Deadly.  Testament wanted to remaster/re-issue their old records, but they couldn't get the rights or masters from the prior label.  So they realized that they could re-record the music and get around the rights issue.  I remember it coming out and LOVING it because it put a current production on those songs, though they did slow down the tempos a bit.  Lately, I prefer the originals or live versions because of that tempo change.  But it's cool as hell that they did it.

Yeah, I have this one as the stand alone release, really ripping collection.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #341 on: October 27, 2023, 03:43:08 AM »
Anyone checking out the remastered Vektor demos that have been added to Spotify today?..

https://open.spotify.com/album/6rZOKVca4nySYEkF5zQoTh?si=5sUh6iC2TFGBzjdlbkRmZA&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A6rZOKVca4nySYEkF5zQoTh

https://open.spotify.com/album/7KsXXZ2waiq4QpCtNbQnTu?si=B1dGNkGQSieFMKrIDgWzbQ&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A7KsXXZ2waiq4QpCtNbQnTu

Currently listening to Demolition. Not as good as something like Black Future, but still worth a listen.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 03:51:02 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online Grappler

« Reply #342 on: February 05, 2024, 06:37:11 AM »
New Kerry King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOwFC56MQgA

Joining the 59-year-old guitarist on the LP are DEATH ANGEL singer Mark Osegueda, longtime SLAYER drummer Paul Bostaph, former HELLYEAH bassist Kyle Sanders, and ex-MACHINE HEAD and VIO-LENCE guitarist Phil Demmel.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #343 on: February 05, 2024, 06:39:49 AM »
Sounds like Slayer! :lol

I dig it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #344 on: February 05, 2024, 10:39:40 AM »
It certainly sounds like a band that has the guitarist from Slayer and the singer from Death Angel. I'll totally check out the album when it comes out but I'm expecting exactly 0 surprises lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Grappler

« Reply #345 on: February 05, 2024, 10:58:32 AM »
It certainly sounds like a band that has the guitarist from Slayer and the singer from Death Angel. I'll totally check out the album when it comes out but I'm expecting exactly 0 surprises lol

I don't think Kerry is looking to surprise anyone - he's been adamant that his songs will sound like Slayer because he was 1/2 of the writers in Slayer. 

With Slayer not active, I'll take this in a heartbeat.  Mark's an awesome singer and I'm sure he can sing the shit out of the Slayer songs once this band goes on tour. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #346 on: February 05, 2024, 03:42:45 PM »
Sounds like Slayer! :lol

I dig it.

Kerry said the song was recorded for Repentless but he wasn't quite happy with it so he cut it. So, yeah, it's Slayer.

Most of this is probably his next Slayer record that he said he pretty much had written after Repentless.

I'm down for this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: February 05, 2024, 07:04:40 PM »
Repentless was really good.

This song certainly follows on from that sound and definitely nothing new, but enjoyable none the less.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2024, 11:50:17 PM »
Sounded like late Slayer without Tom. Pass.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #349 on: February 06, 2024, 12:32:03 AM »