Author Topic: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation  (Read 46501 times)

Offline billboy73

Re: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation
« Reply #280 on: February 04, 2022, 07:24:18 AM »
Enjoyed the new Kreator single, can't wait to hear the full album.  I didn't love Gods of Violence, it's my least favorite of their albums since Violent Revolution.  Sounds like they stepped it up for this one.  Been a longtime Kreator fan, and I enjoy a lot of the 90's stuff as well.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #281 on: February 04, 2022, 07:50:07 AM »
Enjoyed the new Kreator single, can't wait to hear the full album.  I didn't love Gods of Violence, it's my least favorite of their albums since Violent Revolution.  Sounds like they stepped it up for this one.  Been a longtime Kreator fan, and I enjoy a lot of the 90's stuff as well.

Me too! Some interesting material there, off the beaten path for sure. I really like Endorama too, although it's pretty much a gothic-metal version of Kreator  ;D

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #282 on: February 04, 2022, 08:09:20 AM »
I LOVE what Kreator has been doing since Violent Revolution.  Killer thrash, killer production and incredibly ferocious.  The last handful of albums have been fantastic and I'm looking forward to the new one!

Offline billboy73

« Reply #283 on: February 08, 2022, 09:55:23 AM »

Me too! Some interesting material there, off the beaten path for sure. I really like Endorama too, although it's pretty much a gothic-metal version of Kreator  ;D

I love Endorama!  Some really good stuff on that album.  When I decided I wanted to get into Kreator in the early 2000's, I went to the record shop to grab some.  The first 2 albums I bought were Extreme Aggression and Endorama.  I had heard Extreme Aggression, but picked Endorama without hearing it.  I loved both, but they sound quite different... 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2022, 04:32:16 PM »
TESTAMENT Welcomes Back the Godfather of Thrash and Undoubtedly One of the Greatest Drummers in Metal History: DAVE LOMBARDO

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/testament-announces-dave-lombardo-as-their-new-drummer/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2022, 04:34:07 PM »
That's awesome. I saw they were making the announcement today.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #286 on: March 01, 2022, 04:42:44 PM »
I know there is a Testament thread around here somewhere. Pretty sure I made a wish for Dave, and it came true!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: March 01, 2022, 05:13:38 PM »
TESTAMENT Welcomes Back the Godfather of Thrash and Undoubtedly One of the Greatest Drummers in Metal History: DAVE LOMBARDO

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/testament-announces-dave-lombardo-as-their-new-drummer/

Yeah nice.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2022, 05:16:33 PM »
I know there is a Testament thread around here somewhere. Pretty sure I made a wish for Dave, and it came true!

Couldn’t find it

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #289 on: August 02, 2022, 05:37:00 AM »
I've just found this all encompassing thrash metal playlist...

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1DVU0Zy0B5MX5B6ZG7ohfO?si=h3pOpuJyQTeDHbl_JErX0w&utm_source=copy-link

It has everything basically. I've been sticking it on shuffle and it's chucking so many bands I've never heard of, amongst all the incredible thrash I do know.

If you're itching for something new, probably a good place to start.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2022, 07:31:42 AM »
Does it have Nuclear Assault? I declare any playlist missing Nuclear Assault to be invalid.  ;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #291 on: August 02, 2022, 08:07:55 AM »
Does it have Nuclear Assault? I declare any playlist missing Nuclear Assault to be invalid.  ;D

Yes! Not only does it have Nuclear Assault, it also has Nuclear, Nuclear Omnicide, Nuclear Salvation, Nuclear Warfare and Nucleator! It's pretty impressive honestly.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #292 on: August 02, 2022, 12:49:53 PM »
Does it have Nuclear Assault? I declare any playlist missing Nuclear Assault to be invalid.  ;D  :metal

Love Nuclear Assault.  ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #293 on: September 20, 2022, 06:45:49 AM »
Two classic thrash bands that have come back with absolute belters this year? Megadeth and Kreator!

Obviously fair bit of talk about Megadeth's latest (rightly so), but also the latest Kreator is just great.

Currently listening again and it may actually be my favourite Kreator album, it's that fucking good. I find it incredible bands can release albums this good, at this point in their career!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: September 20, 2022, 03:57:39 PM »
Jeez, I didn't take to the Kreator at all, and I really liked the last couple.  Maybe I need to try it again.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #295 on: September 20, 2022, 04:59:38 PM »
I have always wondered if there was an inherent burnout factor with thrash.

I followed Kreator from all the way back when Pleasure to Kill came out. I still think they peaked with Extreme Aggression. But I thought Coma of Souls was a huge letdown, and now I always see everyone else hail it as their masterpiece. I may have just been burnt out on thrash at that point considering I had been ravenously following all those bands since late 85/early 86.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: September 20, 2022, 05:01:11 PM »
I've never been able to indulge in long periods of thrash.  It's something I kind of randomly jump in and out of.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #297 on: September 20, 2022, 05:10:39 PM »
There's a band that does bluegrass thrash and I've got to tell you, I love it!

They are called The Native Howl.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #298 on: December 15, 2022, 03:13:37 PM »
Probably have mentioned them before, but just happened to be listening today to one of the best (and extremely underrated) thrash bands out there: Believer (probs underrated bc they were in the christian scene in the early 90's... though their lyrics are pretty indecipherable and they even toured with bands like Bolt Thrower)

my fave song by them is "Idols of Ignorance" and i have always said that if the concept of the phrase "metal militia" were to be distilled down to one riff and one riff only, it would be the riff at 2:24 in this song, which i will link to below.

the whole album, though -- Sanity Obscure -- is really a masterclass in technical thrash.

THE GOAT METAL MILITIA RIFF: https://youtu.be/Lvwzbq0z0jQ?t=143

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #299 on: December 15, 2022, 04:16:18 PM »
ADDITIONAL AUTISTIC INFODUMP BONUS DOUBLE-POST lol

AND ALSO A QUESTION???

soooooo if like tech/progressive thrash, you should really also peep Tourniquet, another band underrated bc of their christian nature imo (much more overt in their lyrics but so talented musically):

"Gazing At Medusa" (ft. solo from Chris Poland): https://youtu.be/x6oD01gzp70

i especially love their signature riff pattern at the 2:02 mark, which i dont know if that kind of riff has a musical name but they do it a lot and it's always so cool to me. Another example (time-stamped):

- "Perfect Night For A Hanging" https://youtu.be/r298kgdQmCk?t=158

lastly -- RIP to Tourniquet's late drummer/band leader Ted Kirkpatrick, who died unexpectedly a few months back -- incredible drummer who also wrote basically all of the bands guitar parts as well...

back when DT was holding auditions in 2010 I really wanted Kirkpatrick to get a shot at it (not that he would have even been interested necessarily), but he def had the technical skills to hang in DT and would have been a really interesting addition bc of his neoclassical tech-thrash style

*peep instrumentals like "Viento Borrascoso (Devastating Wind)" and "Immunity Vector" if you'd like to gauge for yourself how good and also innovative of a drummer he was:

https://youtu.be/egbhTXgqOzE?t=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEY_0fNGwwg

anyways thanks for coming to my autistic infodump / "TED" talk (lol pun somewhat intended)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 04:57:45 PM by contest_sanity »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #300 on: March 19, 2023, 10:41:20 AM »
Figured I'd ask this on the thrash metal thread...

I have a pretty significant hole in my thrash "education" when it comes to Nuclear Assault.

I know little to nothing. I'm planning to stream some of their stuff (they don't seem to have a particularly lengthy discography anyway), but since it's fun to discuss, what is the opinion of the connoisseurs here on DTF? Any guidance on what is considered their best material? 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #301 on: March 19, 2023, 11:44:49 AM »
The first three albums are all excellent. But to my ears, Handle With Care is their masterpiece and should be in the discussion for top 5 thrash albums of all time.

Some people prefer their second album Survive, but I feel HWC shows them at their songwriting and production peak.

EDIT - there’s a pretty sharp drop off in quality after HWC. And I just picked up their final EP Pounder and was pretty disappointed. Some ok ideas, but it sounds like an unfinished demo.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2023, 12:36:13 PM »
Thank you, JDude!

I remember reviews of Something Wicked on music magazines when it came out, and it was basically ripped to shreds...I will definitely check out their 80s albums...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #303 on: March 19, 2023, 02:07:13 PM »
FWIW, I never did check out their 2005 comeback album Third World Genocide and I’ve always felt a bit guilty about that. Because in 1989, they were definitely one of my favorite bands.  I feel like I should try and find that album on my next haul. Anyone else know if that album lived up to the first three?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #304 on: March 19, 2023, 02:36:15 PM »
I absolutely love Game Over, their debut, and everything up to and including Handle With Care is also great, imo.

I also didn't get to Third World Genocide until a lot later. Seem to recall that it was pretty reasonable, but I never went back to it.

But, yeah, the early stuff is fantastic. I love how on Game Over the songs all start with fast chuggy riffing and THEN the drums come in about 15% faster. 🤣 I first learned to play fast, thrash rhythm guitar by playing along to this album over and over. 🙂
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #305 on: March 19, 2023, 03:01:43 PM »
The new Overkill album is AWESOME. They are incredibly consistent.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #306 on: March 31, 2023, 04:17:08 AM »
 My interview with Bobby Blitz of Overkill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDm-bQj_2-o&t=1s

Hope you guys like it.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #307 on: March 31, 2023, 05:29:38 AM »
Figured I'd ask this on the thrash metal thread...

I have a pretty significant hole in my thrash "education" when it comes to Nuclear Assault.

I know little to nothing. I'm planning to stream some of their stuff (they don't seem to have a particularly lengthy discography anyway), but since it's fun to discuss, what is the opinion of the connoisseurs here on DTF? Any guidance on what is considered their best material?

Nuclear Assault are one of my many thrash blindspots. I'm somewhat familiar with some of their more famous stuff. I'm listening to Game Over now, as it happens.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #308 on: May 30, 2023, 08:21:22 AM »
Got some big news over the holiday weekend. Death Angel and Forbidden will be playing two special Christmas shows together in San Francisco in December. Pretty pumped. I'm a huge Death Angel fan (went to their Xmas show several years ago and and it was amazing), and while I'm a newer big fan of Forbidden (that has just gotten back together with a new singer), their guitarist, Craig, is a great guy and we're acquaintances who had a mutual friend and we've connected because of that.

Wife and I hoping to go to both shows. Tickets on sale in August, I believe Craig said. It'll be at the Great American Music Hall in SF.

I have Forbidden's Omega Wave album, and the classic Twisted Info Form and love them both. Sounds like Forbidden is just playing a festival or two this summer and spending the rest of the year leading into those Christmas shows writing and recording a new album. If it's anything like their last one (Omega Wave) from 10 or 11 years ago, I'll be very pleased.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #309 on: June 01, 2023, 01:23:28 PM »
Hopefully Smyth will still be a part of it, he elevates everything he's on. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #310 on: June 08, 2023, 05:38:29 AM »
My eyes and ears are ready for a sonic onslaught today - I'll be checking out Death Angel, Sepultura and Kreator in Toronto tonight! Looking forward to it...there's been some great bills lately, but this one will be special. I haven't seen Sepultura live since 1991!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #311 on: June 08, 2023, 08:17:50 AM »
Death Angel is one of my favs. Enjoy!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #312 on: June 09, 2023, 08:28:03 AM »
Death Angel is one of my favs. Enjoy!  :metal

They all CRUSHED it...Death Angel played a really short set though, only six songs. All good...there was so much metal through the night that my ears are still ringing. I dare say that Kreator was the "winner" of the night. Their stage props and lightning were incredible! As a Brazilian I'm always proud to see Sepultura get a lot of attention in North America, and their set was great as well, with Eloy's mesmerizing performance absolutely stealing the show.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #313 on: June 09, 2023, 08:44:54 AM »
Kreator’s latest was easily one of the best thrash albums of ‘22. I’d love to see them live, I feel their aged really well and are still putting out relevant thrash. Alongside bands like Testament they are one of th me few OG thrash bands who are still killing it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #314 on: June 09, 2023, 10:59:09 AM »
Kreator’s latest was easily one of the best thrash albums of ‘22. I’d love to see them live, I feel their aged really well and are still putting out relevant thrash. Alongside bands like Testament they are one of th me few OG thrash bands who are still killing it.

Yeah, the album ia really cool. I like it when bands with a lot of history still manage to put out material that does justice to their classic period. Kreator, Destruction, Death Angel, Overkill and others are still relevant and releasing great stuff.