Author Topic: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation  (Read 46191 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation
« Reply #210 on: April 09, 2020, 07:29:40 PM »
Finally got around to the new Testament today. Man, this thing slays!

Can I just say, DiGiorgio and Hoglan. What a rhythm section! Nice to really hear Steve on this record and Hoglan is just a beast.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: April 09, 2020, 07:36:10 PM »
Yeah, the bass on this album sounds insane.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2020, 09:13:35 AM »
Because of downtime, I’m working on creating the ultimate 10-song thrash playlist. The ultimate album. Of course my regular list is a lot longer but I like the challenge. Here’s what I have so far to narrow down, and I welcome suggestions. The only requirement is it has to thrash hard and furious, no mid-tempo groove stuff.

Chemical Warfare (live version)
Angel of Death
From the Past Comes the Storms
Beneath the Remains
Slaves of Pain
Rattlehead
Take no Prisoners
Last Rites/Loved to Death
Fight Fire With Fire
Damage Inc
Dyer’s Eve
Strike of the Beast
Piranha
When the Sun Burns Red
Under the Guillotine
Assasin
Crying for Death
(above 2 from Morbid Saint)

There are other candidates from the major players, and I still have to get some tracks from Sadus, Razor, Demolition Hammer, Artillery, Sodom, etc etc. So if you have any “must have” candidates, please list them.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #213 on: April 10, 2020, 12:25:00 PM »
Because of downtime, I’m working on creating the ultimate 10-song thrash playlist. The ultimate album. Of course my regular list is a lot longer but I like the challenge. Here’s what I have so far to narrow down, and I welcome suggestions. The only requirement is it has to thrash hard and furious, no mid-tempo groove stuff.

Chemical Warfare (live version)
Angel of Death
From the Past Comes the Storms
Beneath the Remains
Slaves of Pain
Rattlehead
Take no Prisoners
Last Rites/Loved to Death
Fight Fire With Fire
Damage Inc
Dyer’s Eve
Strike of the Beast
Piranha
When the Sun Burns Red
Under the Guillotine
Assasin
Crying for Death
(above 2 from Morbid Saint)

There are other candidates from the major players, and I still have to get some tracks from Sadus, Razor, Demolition Hammer, Artillery, Sodom, etc etc. So if you have any “must have” candidates, please list them.

Caught in a Mosh, Antisocial, I Am the Law...

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2020, 12:06:43 AM »
So, a random thought here. Some metal site tweeted out about anniversary of the debut album by the band Coroner. It just showed in my timeline and I can't find it now, but it doesn't matter. The tweet mentioned that the band was known for being 'the Rush of thrash'. That intrigued me. Sampled some stuff from them tonight and, wow, does this stuff sound good!

After sampling stuff from all of their 5 albums I was sold. They were all reissued in 2018 and, of course, all seem to be out of print or just really hard to get here in the US and those that I could find were a tad pricey. Then I find that Laser CD has 3 of them for a nice price and I got the other 2 from Amazon stores.

Anyone here familiar with these Swedes?
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2020, 12:08:05 AM »
Know the name but never checked them out.  I'll check them out.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2020, 04:25:50 PM »
The last 2 Coroner albums showed up. Their final album, Grin, is totally different from the rest of their catalog. More groove and industrial based, I guess.

Mental Vortex showed up today and I am listening to it now. Wow, this is some quality thrash. These guys are technical and do some stuff that I don't know that you hear much in thrash. Solos are also not widdly-widdly like Slayer. I guess this album is where they left some of the speed behind but it is heavy and technical. Loving it.

Looking forward to the first 3 showing up. Probably next week as they were all the ones I bought from Laser CD.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2020, 05:32:11 PM »
Back in the day, I had the first three albums. But No More Color was by far my favorite. That album is AMAZING! I still remember Read My Scars and get it stuck in my head a lot. But at some point I got out of my thrash phase in the early 90s and I sold a bunch of my CDs including that one. I really need to get it again because that album was incredible. I never got around to listening to their last two.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #218 on: June 05, 2020, 08:14:17 PM »
Got new Havok today. Insanely good!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #219 on: June 05, 2020, 10:49:00 PM »
Back in the day, I had the first three albums. But No More Color was by far my favorite. That album is AMAZING! I still remember Read My Scars and get it stuck in my head a lot. But at some point I got out of my thrash phase in the early 90s and I sold a bunch of my CDs including that one. I really need to get it again because that album was incredible. I never got around to listening to their last two.

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/no-more-color-remaster

They also have the first one for $9. Looks like I got their last copy of Punishment For Decadence.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #220 on: August 05, 2020, 05:52:16 PM »
Thrash discovery of the week: Violator from Brazil. If you like your thrash FAST, this is for you. Chemical Assault 2006 and Scenarios of Brutality 2013. Listened to both today, all killer no filler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: August 05, 2020, 06:37:03 PM »
Thrash discovery of the week: Violator from Brazil. If you like your thrash FAST, this is for you. Chemical Assault 2006 and Scenarios of Brutality 2013. Listened to both today, all killer no filler.

Love the song titles on Chemical Assault..

Ordered To Thrash
Addicted To Mosh

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Listened to a handful of tracks over the three albums they have on Spotify. Earned the band 1.5 cents. ;D

Sounds pretty cool. A bit like early Slayer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2020, 10:42:26 PM »
So, a random thought here. Some metal site tweeted out about anniversary of the debut album by the band Coroner. It just showed in my timeline and I can't find it now, but it doesn't matter. The tweet mentioned that the band was known for being 'the Rush of thrash'. That intrigued me. Sampled some stuff from them tonight and, wow, does this stuff sound good!

After sampling stuff from all of their 5 albums I was sold. They were all reissued in 2018 and, of course, all seem to be out of print or just really hard to get here in the US and those that I could find were a tad pricey. Then I find that Laser CD has 3 of them for a nice price and I got the other 2 from Amazon stores.

Coroner are amazing, but they're Swiss, not Swedes!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #223 on: August 07, 2020, 05:46:21 AM »
I was listening to a bunch of Destruction yesterday.  I always tend to overlook these guys in favor of other thrash bands, but they have some killer riffs and songs.   :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #224 on: August 07, 2020, 08:04:57 AM »
I was listening to a bunch of Destruction yesterday.  I always tend to overlook these guys in favor of other thrash bands, but they have some killer riffs and songs.   :metal

They're one of those band that slipped my radar for the longest time, but I caught up with their back catalogue when their last studio album, Born to Perish, came out last year. Amazing band indeed. I got to interview Schmier a few weeks ago to promote their new, KILLER live album, and he was a great chat. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgSsVO5zpqc

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: August 07, 2020, 07:53:01 PM »
Since this thread has been bumped I might as well plug the new Warbringer album in here too.  Weapons of Tomorrow.  Check it out, wonderful thrash.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »
Since this thread has been bumped I might as well plug the new Warbringer album in here too.  Weapons of Tomorrow.  Check it out, wonderful thrash.

:metal :metal

Amen, Brother!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #227 on: August 08, 2020, 10:05:06 AM »

Thanks, will check it out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: August 09, 2020, 03:34:45 AM »

Make sure you do, it's a ripper!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2020, 12:42:43 PM »

Make sure you do, it's a ripper!

I did, and the album preceding. Love the sprinkling in of blast beats, and some great guitar playing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2020, 02:11:24 PM »
 :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #231 on: August 09, 2020, 08:55:11 PM »

Coroner is sexcellent. I randomly found out about them back in 2001 I think. Great band!
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #232 on: August 25, 2020, 10:41:23 PM »
I know Thrash likely isn't a hugely popular style of music on a mainly progressive forum but a bit surprised that I couldn't find a thread on the band Power Trip and the shockingly sad news about the lead singer's (Riley Gale) death...   He was only 34...  :( :'( I fell in love with the band with their Nightmare Logic album and looked forward to many kick ass future releases...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2020, 05:02:38 AM »
That's awful.

I have Nightmare Logic Saved on my Spotify.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2020, 05:23:29 AM »
Never heard of them but thats just awful.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2020, 12:57:01 PM »
Been on a bit of a Slayer kick recently. God damn, God Hates Us All is just a beast of an album and some of my favourite Slayer lyrics. They were fucking pissed off when they recorded this!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: September 20, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »
Been on a bit of a Slayer kick recently. God damn, God Hates Us All is just a beast of an album and some of my favourite Slayer lyrics. They were fucking pissed off when they recorded this!

One of my fav from them.  So heavy and brutal.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2020, 03:42:51 PM »

One of my fav from them.  So heavy and brutal.

It really is. My favourite lyrical outtakes from the album:

"Man made virus infecting the world
Self-destruct human time bomb
What if there is no God would you think the fuckin' same
Wasting your life in a leap of blind faith
Wake the fuck up can't ignore what I say
I got my own philosophy
I hate everyone equally
You can't tear that out of me
No segregation separation
Just me in my world of enemies."

"I keep the bible in a pool of blood
So that none of its lies can affect me."

"Tear your fucking eyes out
Rip your fucking flesh off
Beat you till you're just a fucking lifeless carcass
Fuck you and your progress
Watch me fucking regress
You were made to take the fall, now you're nothing
Now you're nothing
You ain't fuckin' shit."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2021, 09:07:35 AM »
On a Testament kick right now. They were one of my favorites as a teenager. Going through their discography and I forgot how much I like the 80s/early 90s stuff. Haven't heard their last few albums but I've heard good things about them.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #239 on: March 25, 2021, 09:31:56 AM »
80s and 90s thrash is what I grew up with and I haven't binged on that stuff in years. I oddly did hear some early 90s Anthrax the other day and it was fun. I do need to revisit soon.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2021, 10:26:49 AM »
On a Testament kick right now. They were one of my favorites as a teenager. Going through their discography and I forgot how much I like the 80s/early 90s stuff. Haven't heard their last few albums but I've heard good things about them.

Testament were always my favourite thrashers, their recent discography is very strong but there latest album is amazing, the production, mix and songs is almost perfect. The only down side is it's a few songs too many with a couple of less than staller tunes.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2021, 10:49:21 AM »
I just did that with Testament's discography a few weeks ago.  I usually just go to my favorite albums from them, but I pretty much listened to every single one of their albums, which led me to remember why I love so many of those records.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #242 on: March 25, 2021, 08:51:18 PM »
Yea I've been doing it chronologically, mostly one album a day. Finished up Demonic earlier. Definitely not death metal, just darker thrash than they usually do. Probably haven't listened to that album in 15 years. I like how their sound progressed from the 80s through the early-mid 90s when the production values got better with each album, but they also got heavier, and more aggressive. I also like the groove in the band's sound, how it becomes more prominent on each album.  I know Skolnick left after Ritual and came back on First Strike Still Deadly, but I always liked the middle period when he wasn't in the band. They made some interesting music on those 3 albums.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #243 on: March 28, 2021, 08:15:41 AM »
Man, I forgot how much The Gathering album just slaaaaays  :metal

Offline darkshade

« Reply #244 on: March 28, 2021, 10:34:01 AM »
I just did that with Testament's discography a few weeks ago.  I usually just go to my favorite albums from them, but I pretty much listened to every single one of their albums, which led me to remember why I love so many of those records.

What's your opinion on First Strike Still Deadly? I actually consider it one of their best albums but I see many Testament fans pretend this album doesn't exist, because it's a collection of re-recorded songs from their first two albums.