Author Topic: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation  (Read 47551 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2020, 09:45:27 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2020, 09:58:51 AM »
Oh, wow.  They had an earlier single that I somehow missed as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2hIrXq2ss

Yeah, it's in the Testament thread I believe. This album is going to rock.

Christ, did I miss the Testament thread too?  :facepalm:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2020, 10:02:19 AM »
You guys.  :facepalm: :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2020, 10:02:36 AM »
Oh, wow.  They had an earlier single that I somehow missed as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2hIrXq2ss

Well, in fairness, they aren't discussed much here.  Even I forgot that there was a separate thread for them, and I've been a fan of them longer that probably almost anyone here.  ...except maybe TAC.  Because he's OLD.  And they are one of the 3 or 4 bands TAC listened to back in the '80s that weren't named MSG.

Oh, and:  DISCIPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2metal:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2020, 10:03:38 AM »
I just used the search function but couldn't find a Testament thread. But I swear people were discussing NOTW here a while ago.

Am I coming down with dementia? Is this a Shazam/Kazaam moment?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »

Well, in fairness, they aren't discussed much here.  Even I forgot that there was a separate thread for them, and I've been a fan of them longer that probably almost anyone here.  ...except maybe TAC.  Because he's OLD.  And they are one of the 3 or 4 bands TAC listened to back in the '80s that weren't named MSG.

Oh, and:  DISCIPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2metal:

Guilty on all counts occifer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
I reckon Testament were the first thrash band I got into.............around Practice What You Preach era.   Took me longer to get into Metallica as I was only just gradually getting into the heavier side back then and needed a red hot lead guitarist and Kirk didn't make the cut  :)   So even back when I was 12 I was a guitar snob .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2020, 03:39:15 PM »
Wow for me, I was just the opposite. I could not get into Testament at all back in the day. I considered them a second rate Metallica. I found them and their sound so one dimensional.

Contrary to what Bosk said, I actually didn't get into Testament until much later. It wasn't until they released The Formation Of Damnation. This latter part of their career has been amazing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2020, 03:39:53 PM »
Second rate Metallica! My, sir, now that is good humor, yes it is.  :lol I totally agree though, it's stunning how good they've been since (and including) TFOD.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2020, 03:42:41 PM »
in 1989, they were indeed second rate Metallica. There's a reason Metallica is the standard bearer. It's because they were just better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »
I reckon Testament were the first thrash band I got into.............around Practice What You Preach era.   Took me longer to get into Metallica as I was only just gradually getting into the heavier side back then and needed a red hot lead guitarist and Kirk didn't make the cut  :)   So even back when I was 12 I was a guitar snob .

Metallica was my first metal band.  Didn't know any different regarding Kirk so thought he was pretty good.  Then I basically discovered everyone else then quickly realised, 'actually, this guy is really shit.'
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »
in 1989, they were indeed second rate Metallica. There's a reason Metallica is the standard bearer. It's because they were just better.

Oh I believe it was a common belief back then. It just makes me laugh. Metallica doesn't matter past RTL. Testament's discography is immeasurably better and more consistent :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2020, 03:50:25 PM »

Oh I believe it was a common belief back then. It just makes me laugh. Metallica doesn't matter past RTL. Testament's discography is immeasurably better and more consistent :lol

RTL? MOP, AJFA, and TBA would like to have a word with you.

The last dozen years of Testament has truly been amazing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2020, 03:53:31 PM »
Metallica doesn't matter past RTL.

Just an absurd statement right here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2020, 03:54:28 PM »
Metallica doesn't matter past RTL.

Just an absurd statement right here.

Consider the source. ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2020, 03:54:58 PM »
MoP is overrated (you got Battery, you got MOP, that's it), AJFA isn't that good (you got One, that's it), TBA is even worse (the radio hits aren't bad but they absolutely pale compared to RTL Metallica). RTL was their crowning achievement, they blew their load on it. And everything after TBA up until they wrote Spit Out The Bone is terrible. :loser:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2020, 03:56:00 PM »
MoP is overrated (you got Battery, you got MOP, that's it), AJFA isn't that good (you got One, that's it), TBA is even worse (the radio hits aren't bad but they absolutely pale compared to RTL Metallica). RTL was their crowning achievement, they blew their load on it.  :loser:

Cut your hair, poser.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2020, 03:57:10 PM »
MoP is overrated (you got Battery, you got MOP, that's it), AJFA isn't that good (you got One, that's it), TBA is even worse (the radio hits aren't bad but they absolutely pale compared to RTL Metallica). RTL was their crowning achievement, they blew their load on it. And everything after TBA up until they wrote Spit Out The Bone is terrible. :loser:

Nah.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2020, 03:57:39 PM »
MoP is overrated (you got Battery, you got MOP, that's it), AJFA isn't that good (you got One, that's it), TBA is even worse (the radio hits aren't bad but they absolutely pale compared to RTL Metallica). RTL was their crowning achievement, they blew their load on it.  :loser:

Cut your hair, poser.

Come bring your scissors, punk! You're gonna walk over, but you're gonna limp back.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2020, 04:05:50 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2020, 04:40:42 PM »
There's a reason Metallica is the standard bearer. It's because they were just better.

No, it's because they were just first.  Get your facts straight.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2020, 05:41:49 PM »
Maybe that's part of it. They were basically the face of thrash metal in the 80's but you have to remember that the rise Metallica was a slow burn. Sure, they had 3 albums before Testament released The Legacy, but those early Testament albums are really one dimensional to me, musicwise and vocally. I never considered Testament in Metallica's league, honestly.

Metallica's songwriting was so much better than your average thrash band. Hell, in some circles, Metallica stood so alone that they were even referred to as Alternative.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »
Maybe that's part of it. They were basically the face of thrash metal in the 80's but you have to remember that the rise Metallica was a slow burn. Sure, they had 3 albums before Testament released The Legacy, but those early Testament albums are really one dimensional to me, musicwise and vocally. I never considered Testament in Metallica's league, honestly.

Metallica's songwriting was so much better than your average thrash band. Hell, in some circles, Metallica stood so alone that they were even referred to as Alternative.

I agree with that.  As I said I got into Testament at a time when thrash wasn't my thing at all and I got into them almost purely because I loved Skolnick's solos.........then I got into Megadeth because I loved Friedman's solos  :lol   If I look at the early Testament albums there was usually one or two killer tracks I focused on and plenty of filler whereas Metallica had much more consistent songwriting.   Once I did get into the heavier stuff more consistently then yeah............I rated Metallica higher as a band in spite of Kirk.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2020, 06:19:35 PM »

I agree with that.  As I said I got into Testament at a time when thrash wasn't my thing at all and I got into them almost purely because I loved Skolnick's solos.........then I got into Megadeth because I loved Friedman's solos  :lol   If I look at the early Testament albums there was usually one or two killer tracks I focused on and plenty of filler whereas Metallica had much more consistent songwriting.   Once I did get into the heavier stuff more consistently then yeah............I rated Metallica higher as a band in spite of Kirk.

I'm pretty much on board with both of you here.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2020, 09:16:49 AM »
 My interview with Eric Peterson from Testament was published today. Hope you like it!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UJDtJs7e0&t=264s

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #200 on: April 06, 2020, 09:18:21 AM »
I can't stop listening to the new Testament - this is probably my favorite album since the Formation of Damnation.  The songs and riffs are huge! :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #201 on: April 06, 2020, 09:55:20 AM »
I can't stop listening to the new Testament - this is probably my favorite album since the Formation of Damnation.  The songs and riffs are huge! :metal

It's awesome indeed.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2020, 12:05:20 PM »

It's awesome indeed.

My copy is out for delivery. Just waiting for it to drop at my front door.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2020, 01:51:40 PM »
One listen down and it's pretty good.  Love the black metal influence in Osiris.  The last track is a weird way to finish the album though.

Skolnick is such a beast.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2020, 02:14:29 PM »
I'm waiting for the Easter Bunny to bring me my Amazon money. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm definitely ordering it this weekend.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2020, 02:22:49 PM »
I'm liking the album a lot. Very consistent, although there is nothing really new to be found. I would say that I feel like there are very few moments they go 'all out' though and it perhaps lacks stand out songs.
Still awesome but I'm not sure how memorable it's going to be in the long run. Also Catacombs is cool but very odd as a closer, feels like an intro track.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2020, 04:01:39 PM »
Testament's record is kicking my ass. I'd agree with TSM that there's nothing "new" per se, but it's how they combined almost every element of their sound into one record that really has snapped my head to attention. It's the same feeling I got when listening to Fates Warning's Theories of Flight -- that record had nothing NEW in terms of style, but it culled from the band's entire discography and presented something fresh. That's how Testament's Titans of Creation is to me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2020, 04:37:42 PM »
Dream Deceiver, from the new album, takes a cue from this song: https://youtu.be/Qd8uElHUKPE

Offline Volante99

« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »

Metallica were to 80s Heavy Metal what the Beatles were to 60s Rock. Despite having some obvious influences they were easily 2-3 years ahead of the pack. So much so that they were in a league of their own. Not only did they do it first, they did it better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: April 06, 2020, 11:04:10 PM »
I'm liking the album a lot. Very consistent, although there is nothing really new to be found. I would say that I feel like there are very few moments they go 'all out' though and it perhaps lacks stand out songs.
Still awesome but I'm not sure how memorable it's going to be in the long run. Also Catacombs is cool but very odd as a closer, feels like an intro track.

I can see what you are saying here.  Only listened to it once so we'll see how it goes.