Author Topic: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation  (Read 44450 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »
Great Testament show last night at Livewire in Scottsdale AZ with opening bands Shattered Sun and Exodus.

:2metal:

:metal
Love Scottsdale BTW!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »
I've been going through a huge 80s thrash phase lately, including some of the bands I didn't get around to the first time.

Forbidden, where have you been all my life?  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline adace

« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2015, 09:28:04 PM »
New Slayer track streaming:
https://bravewords.com/news/slayer-streaming-new-track-when-the-stillness-comes-new-album-song-titles-revealed
Yeah, not really digging this track. There's one pretty good riff near the end but that's it.

At this point I'm looking forward to the new Havok and Testament albums WAY more than the new Slayer album.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2015, 01:14:17 AM »

So I'm not even looking forward to this album but hot damn that is the best slayer album cover ever.

Come at me CiSsCvM

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:49:18 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »
Slayer title track to Repentless :metal :metal
https://bravewords.com/news/slayer-repentless-tracklisting-revealed-title-track-streaming-via-official-visualizer-video

It is F Bomb city fo definitely NSFW.
Planning on picking this up

Offline faizoff

« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »
Did not know that new Slayer was coming out, love the album cover. Iron Maiden and Slayer releases within a week, nice. Heard the title track and sounds about average run of the mill track. I'll wait for the album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2015, 07:49:34 PM »
Now...is this the one that's going to include Hanneman's final recordings?  It was my understanding that he not only had written three songs, but had actually started some recording before he died.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2015, 05:31:23 AM »
This new Slayer album is pretty fuckin' good.  I'm really liking it.  Although too many KK solos.  Jeff is quite missed in that department.  Gary's solos are actually quite impressive but he only gets a few.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2015, 06:10:49 AM »
This new Slayer album is pretty fuckin' good.  I'm really liking it.  Although too many KK solos.  Jeff is quite missed in that department.  Gary's solos are actually quite impressive but he only gets a few.

I'm probably a week away from getting this but definitely looking forward to it.
I've honestly never thought much of Slayer's guitar solos anyway.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2015, 06:37:04 AM »

I'm probably a week away from getting this but definitely looking forward to it.
I've honestly never thought much of Slayer's guitar solos anyway.

Didn't know you were into Slayer Tim.

You're right, their solos are pretty laughable at times, but some have pure energy and emotion IMO.  I've always been so impressed how they can play so off in their solos but still make them somehow fit.  They use so many different modes in odd places, diminished, harmonic minor phyrgian and sometimes just random shapes all in the one solo at times I think, but still put out a something worthwhile.  I like their agression in the whammy bar department too.

This is a strong album.  At first I actually thought it was pretty shit, but some of the riffs here are amazing and carry the album.  The title track is fucking incredible, Tom sounds amazing here, which I have never really said too many times before.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2015, 07:09:08 AM »
I was into Slayer back one day. Between '87 & '94 I saw them about a half dozen times. After Divine Intervention I kind of lost track if them. With Lombardo back I tried their last two albums but I just didn't care for them. Almost they they tried to out brutalize some younger bands. I just did not like the delivery at all, especially vocally.
But the songs they've made available from Repentless have been great. Sounds like classic Slayer.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »
This new one is really good after two listens, I like it better then the last couple of albums.

Regarding Slayer solos: I alwaysthought that they were more about noise, aggression and energy and less about melody and structure and sometimes it fits the song and sometimes its pretty bad.

What's the difference between chainsaws and Slayer solos? Chainsaws have more dynamics.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2015, 03:34:09 PM »
This is definitely their best album since God Hates Us All.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »
Bought the Amazon mp3 of the new Slayer when I got home from work today.

Holy shit, this is awesome!!! :metal :metal

Lots of it reminds me of South Of Heaven, which is one of the most headbangingest albums I've ever heard.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2015, 04:44:27 PM »
Yeah man.  I'm still spinning it in the car and really enjoying it.  I can see the South of Heaven influence.  Fav songs are; Repentless, Vices and You Against You, but everything is solild.  I got the CD/DVD with the full wacken concert which is great too.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2016, 12:46:25 PM »
I think designing a guitar with your own blood is the very definition of metal!  :lol  :metal

SLAYER's Gary Holt Reveals ESP Blood Guitar by Vincent Castiglia
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:53:29 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2016, 12:56:35 PM »
 :metal
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Christeen

« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2016, 01:28:03 AM »
Bumping this thread because I am beginning to crawl back into the first subgenre i really loved and I've been listening to a lot of good stuff. Anyone else here able to talk about Vektor for the next month?

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »
Bumping this thread because I am beginning to crawl back into the first subgenre i really loved and I've been listening to a lot of good stuff. Anyone else here able to talk about Vektor for the next month?

Dunno if I can talk about it for the next month but it is a pretty sweet album  :metal

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2018, 07:31:29 AM »
New Soufly is out!

The last album of theirs that I loved was Enslaved (GLADIATOR!   :metal).  Savages followed that and stunk, and I was just got burnt out on Max's music for a while.  He's always churning out albums and alternating between Soulfly and  Cavalera Conspiracy every few years and it was just too much, with little differentiation between them.

This new one (Ritutal) is ridiculously heavy and thrashy.  It sounds really fresh to me after some time off and not just a Max-by-numbers album. 

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2018, 11:46:53 AM »
If you've never tried Tourniquet, this is imo one of their best songs in a while. Very talented musicians, the drummer writes most of the riffs, and oh yeah: Chris Poland guesting on guitar!!! Peep the second verse for the "signature Tourniquet" sound, which to my ears is pretty uncommon, although DT ripped it off for a few measures on Panic Attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6oD01gzp70

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »
 I did an interview with Jon Zazula, the man who discovered Metallica, Anthrax, Testament and many other bands, for Sonic Perspectives. Check it out on the link below!!!!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-jon-zazula/

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2019, 06:19:13 PM »
He's got a book out, right. It sounds interesting.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2019, 07:10:01 PM »
He's got a book out, right. It sounds interesting.

Yeah, the interview was to promote the book. Some great stories in the book and in the interview too!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2019, 09:13:36 AM »
Great interview.  Rodrigo, I know I've said this before, but it has been fantastic watching you grow in your art.  You truly do a fantastic job.  Keep it up!

I want to get this book now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2019, 03:56:06 PM »
Thanks so much, man! Yeah, listening to the first ones I did and comparing to the more recent ones you can definitely hear how my style has changed.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2020, 09:04:49 AM »
The new TESTAMENT song, "Children of the Next Level" absolutely SMOKES.  :metal

New album, Titans of Creation, out on April 3. Can't wait!!!!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2020, 09:19:22 AM »
Sounds like classic Testament, with modern production.  Which is to say, it sounds GREAT.  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDJKVqBvi8
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2020, 09:22:34 AM »
Oh man this smokes. Can't wait for this album... Testament always delivers :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2020, 09:25:11 AM »
Oh, wow.  They had an earlier single that I somehow missed as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2hIrXq2ss

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2020, 09:28:31 AM »
Oh, wow.  They had an earlier single that I somehow missed as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2hIrXq2ss

Yeah, it's in the Testament thread I believe. This album is going to rock.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2020, 09:40:17 AM »
Oh man this smokes. Can't wait for this album... Testament always delivers :2metal:

I didn't think you liked metal anymore.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2020, 09:41:11 AM »

I didn't think you liked metal anymore.

Just because I have the balls to listen to something that isn't rock or guitar-based doesn't mean I don't like metal you old fart.  :lol :lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2020, 09:42:37 AM »
That's a killer song.   :metal