Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219384 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024
« Reply #2730 on: April 02, 2024, 05:00:15 PM »
People, people, people... R137 and OOR are fantastic! That swing feel in 137 is so good. Once I noticed it in the instrumental section, I was sold. Blending that vibe into a meaty prog metal song without it being too far either way was genius, I thought  A top MM choice for me.

Back to Priest, Sons Of Thunder is really fun. Even more so when I substitute "Sons" with "Buns".  :tup
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2731 on: April 03, 2024, 07:54:18 AM »
People, people, people... R137 and OOR are fantastic! That swing feel in 137 is so good. Once I noticed it in the instrumental section, I was sold. Blending that vibe into a meaty prog metal song without it being too far either way was genius, I thought  A top MM choice for me.

Back to Priest, Sons Of Thunder is really fun. Even more so when I substitute "Sons" with "Buns".  :tup

They should play Buns of Thunder and Eat Me Alive, back to back.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2732 on: April 03, 2024, 09:21:55 AM »
 :lol

I've been the older Priest albums a while now and am now ready to deliver an opinion:

Killing Machine > British Steel > Stained Class

I like all three, mind.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2733 on: April 04, 2024, 11:53:24 AM »
Room 137?

Interesting. I was thinking of something slower-paced like some of that heavy stuff on Master of Reality.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2734 on: April 06, 2024, 03:11:36 AM »
Tonight I'm gonna see Judas Priest with Saxon and Phill Campbell & the Bastard Sons  :metal

Luckily I'm going in almost blind, these are the only things I know about the setlist:

Either 3 or four new songs
Panic Attack as opener, Rapid fire second song
Crown of Horns most likely there
Saints in Hell and Killing Machine being in the set, ironically two songs I don't really care for

Not bad in the era where spoilers are almost impossible  :D see you tomorrow with impressions from the show!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2735 on: April 06, 2024, 11:42:31 AM »
Tonight I'm gonna see Judas Priest with Saxon and Phill Campbell & the Bastard Sons  :metal

Luckily I'm going in almost blind, these are the only things I know about the setlist:

Either 3 or four new songs
Panic Attack as opener, Rapid fire second song
Crown of Horns most likely there
Saints in Hell and Killing Machine being in the set, ironically two songs I don't really care for

Not bad in the era where spoilers are almost impossible  :D see you tomorrow with impressions from the show!

enjoy   lets us know how it was
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2736 on: April 07, 2024, 04:46:28 AM »
And enjoy I did!!! what a fantastic awesome metal night!!!  :metal

No Uriah Heep as opener, Phil Campbell and the Bastard Sons were there. Got three Motorhead songs: Going to Brazil, Born to Raise Hell which I like a lot and I never got to hear with Motorhead so yay, and the immortal Ace of Spades, with the crowd obviously going wild.

Saxon were next; it's funny, I never cared to properly follow Saxon, I know who they are, I know their most famous songs, but for whatever reason, I never took the time to listen to their albums. But when they appear on a festival or as opener like in this case.... boy if they're NOT to be missed. They're probably my favorite bands out of those I don't actually care for  :lol they were impressive, bunch of 70 years old still kicking ass, powerful and precise, and Bill Byford is a beast, excellent powerful performance from him. One hour of solid, devastating NWOBHM great music.

And then JUDAS FREAKING PRIEST. It's been a long time since I saw them, after the Redeemer of Souls tour they only came at festivals I couldn't attend, so this was my first time seeing them in almost a decade or so. And they were brilliant as ever, powerful, loud and destructive  :metal

This was the setlist, for those who don't care for spoilers:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/judas-priest/2024/mediolanum-forum-di-assago-assago-italy-6bab9e52.html

I got a tour debut, Devil's Child, and luckily I got Lighting Strikes, yay! Seeing previous dates I guess I would have enjoyed Sinner more than Victim of Changes, which I heard many times, but it's ok. 50 years of muisc, 19 albums, it really has not much sense to play the "I wish they played this song" game. Having said that, it's a pity I didn't get a song from my second favorite album, Defenders of the Faith.

The place was packed. It's the place Dream Theater always play in Italy, and that Iron Maiden sell out in two days. If it wasn't a technical sold out, it was still 99% full. I'm glad, Priest gave me the idea of relatively winding down with audiences, and I'm very glad to see the appreciation for them going still strong. What a powerful performance, awesome stage setup, they really outdid themselves this time and moved away from the usual ramp things they were always doing incorporating more technology and video screens in the stage.

Honestly, I'm going on an hyperbole and say that they're becoming what they're singing about in their songs. Invincible. Made of metal. Undestructible. Between them and Saxon, how is it possible that a bunch of 70 years old are this good and this kickass??? I know, Scott Travis is younger and he has the most physically demanding job, and Richie Faulkner wasn't even born when Sad Wings of Destiny came out, but Biff Byford and Rob Halford are what, 73 and 72 years old and they're still this insanely good? Ok, Rob uses a phuckton of reverb and echo but he's STILL DAMN GOOD. The insane screams were there, including the 15 seconds one at the end of Victim of Changes.

And - I got to see Glenn Tipton for the last two songs!!! he came out to a roar of the big packed arena and everyone rose up from their seats (I only found tickets for the "roof" of the arena basically), it was a damn well deserved standing ovation that almost moved me. He could have stayed home to enjoy his most normal days but he still comes up thin and frail on stage to try and play two songs at least. What a legend and what a cruel destiny for a musician, the world is full of 70 years old people with ailments but it must take a real toll for a musician to get a disease that prevents them from playing.

Show was 1h40' and felt intense and not short at all. Fun fact, while I was thinking in my head about which songs were missing, I totally forgot about Electric Eye and when it came on, I was so energized from it. It was also one of the better received songs, with wild moshpits, and just as Priest commented about it, also Turbo Lover got one of the best reaction.

All in all it was a great and basically perfect evening of british geriatric metal  :lol but really, we need to hold on to these old guys as much as we can, they still have a lot to offer and they're basically undestructible. Rob Halford is gonna die on stage I'm sure. He truly IS the Metal God and if this was not the last time I'll be seeing Priest, the next time I will definitively be there. The screen at the end of the show as they were taking their bows said it after all - THE PRIEST WILL BE BACK. Fuck yeah!!!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2737 on: April 07, 2024, 05:52:28 AM »
Nice!! Saxon is awesome, been releasing one great album after another since reclaiming their sound in 1997.

Online nick_z

« Reply #2738 on: April 07, 2024, 07:01:54 AM »
What a great write-up!!!

Sounds like it was a great evening of music…

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2739 on: April 08, 2024, 06:22:27 AM »
How did Devil's Child sound?  Definitely a top five Priest track for me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2740 on: April 08, 2024, 07:01:11 AM »
How did Devil's Child sound?  Definitely a top five Priest track for me.

Not the biggest fan of the song but it was cool and rocking and it went down just fine. But honestly, they were on fire, so there was not a single song where I thought "eh, this was better left off the setlist". It was a good pick as any!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2741 on: April 08, 2024, 09:08:02 AM »
Thank You MM for that great review of the show.
I saw Saxon on the Denim and Leather and  Long arm of the Law era tours.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline emtee

« Reply #2742 on: April 11, 2024, 05:47:37 AM »
Can't stop spinning this. I love the intro to Invincible Shield. The drum parts, while not complicated, really elevate the intro.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2743 on: April 11, 2024, 02:46:49 PM »
Can't stop spinning this. I love the intro to Invincible Shield. The drum parts, while not complicated, really elevate the intro.

agreed   its amazing how good it is    I especially love track 5 to the end

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2744 on: April 16, 2024, 07:37:59 AM »
So I am there minding my business or doing stuff, and from time to time, several times during the week, out of nowhere it pops in my head:

"AGONY!!!! ...escape from reality!!!"

It's not my favorite song on the album (though I like it quite nicely), but that specific chorus is stuck in my head and just won't go away  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2745 on: April 16, 2024, 08:27:22 AM »
So I started listening to a playlist of the setlist for the tour and now I remember why I was never a fan of JP before.  Not a fan of basically all these older songs   :lol 

I'm mostly looking forward to Sabaton and the new songs

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2746 on: April 16, 2024, 10:49:06 AM »
So I am there minding my business or doing stuff, and from time to time, several times during the week, out of nowhere it pops in my head:

It's not my favorite song on the album (though I like it quite nicely), but that specific chorus is stuck in my head and just won't go away  :lol

funny...  Devil in Disguise is my least fav on IS ( I still like it tho ) and it was stuck in my head this morning...   IS IS GREAT!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2747 on: April 19, 2024, 12:44:08 PM »
Scored a day of sale ticket that includes the buffet, can't wait to feast and rock out tonight  :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2748 on: April 20, 2024, 12:00:59 AM »

Love this track. That chorus is so ear-wormy. The whole album is so catchy.

Edit: Just stepped out of the car with Sons Of Thunder playing. Love that one too!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 02:03:56 AM by DoctorAction »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2749 on: April 20, 2024, 12:24:47 PM »
Thought they were overall pretty good last night.  I honestly did not expect Rob to sing consistently like that all night.  I'll give him credit for performing at a high level.  I think sadly my opinion still stands that I'm just not a huge fan overall of his vocals though.  Just not for my tastes for the most part.  The band was good, they shredded and sounded tight.  Crowd was tame, maybe too tame for a metal show.  Sounded like no one was singing, but could also have just been my location.  Also thought for an arena show, the stage show could be a lot better.  Regardless of my criticism, they were pretty good live metal band.  Lots of respect for them and very glad I finally got to see them for the first time.  I'd see them again for sure, but probably not going out of my way.  Sabaton were a solid opener, crowd was even more dead for them (makes sense) but I don't think Sabaton had a "wow" performance.

Judas Priest - Breaking The Law LIVE @ Prudential Center Newark NJ 4/19/2024

Judas Priest - Crown of Horns LIVE @ Prudential Center Newark NJ 4/19/2024

Judas Priest - Invincible Shield LIVE @ Prudential Center Newark NJ 4/19/2024

Judas Priest - Living After Midnight LIVE @ Prudential Center Newark NJ 4/19/2024

in case anyone is interested...

Sabaton - Soldier of Heaven LIVE @ Prudential Center Newark NJ 4/19/2024

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2750 on: April 20, 2024, 12:55:33 PM »
Nice videos!  :tup

Yeah, crowd at my show was way better. I can't judge from the videos 'cause you have to be there to assest it, but at my show it was a riot, the classics were always received with a roar and it was basically a total triumph, I didn't read a single complaint about it online.

And yes, Rob sounds very good and consistent indeed!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2751 on: April 20, 2024, 02:06:06 PM »
Awesome shots, as usual, Marc!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol