Author Topic: Recommend bands/artists to DTF  (Read 13686 times)

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
Recommend bands/artists to DTF
« on: August 04, 2010, 04:54:30 PM »
Basically, recommend to your fellow forum-goers bands & other music artists you feel don't get enough love and exposure here. This is not limited to any era or genre, though I'd like to see recs not solely limited to prog.

Antimatter (Ambient Progressive Rock) - Fans of Anathema will be familiar with these guys. They're very mellow, melancholic and atmospheric.

Astronautalis (Indie Rock/Hip Hop) - This guy is incredibly unique and I insist that anyone intrigued by the genre description I gave him check out his album Pomegranate. Rec. songs: The Wondersmith and His Sons, Two Years Before The Mast, Trouble Hunters, The Story of My Life

Atmosphere (Hip Hop) - One of my favorite groups in hip hop. Check out When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold and God Loves Ugly.

Blue Sky Black Death (Instrumental Hip Hop) - Basically hip hop without rapping, focusing on atmospheric beats and samples. Check out their album Late Night Cinema.

Children of Nova (Progressive Rock) - They may come off to some people as a less insane clone of The Mars Volta, but they're still quite good. Listen to their songs Arcaedion and The Complexity Of Light.

Cire (Alternative Rock/Progressive) - Exactly what it says on the tin: intelligent alt. rock with a progressive edge. Listen to Red Queen and Adrenological.

Closure In Moscow (Progressive Rock/Post-Hardcore) - Somewhat of a more poppy version of The Mars Volta, though not something I see appealing to this forum. Still, Vanguard is a great song.

Cloud Cult (Experimental Indie Rock) - I only have their latest release, Light Chasers, but it's nothing short of a masterpiece. Give it a listen.

CunninLynguists (Hip Hop) - One of the most brilliant and consistent groups in hip hop. Listen to their albums A Piece of Strange and Southernunderground and check out the songs Nothing to Give, Beautiful Girl, and The Gates (Feat. Tonedeff).

Dr. Steel (Steampunk-flavored industrial/opera-rock/hip hop) - Intrigued by what I put as his genre? You better be. Imagine if Mike Patton, Danny Elfman and Peewee Herman had a threesome and gave their child to a mad scientist to raise and you have Dr. Steel. Listen to Planet X Marks the Spot, Lament Of A Toy Factory, Fibonacci Sequence, and Childhood (Don't) a Go-Go. Help this man take over the world.

Elliott Smith (Acoustic/Singer-songwriter/Indie) - The late Elliott Smith was actually quite well-known, though not someone that would appeal to many here. However, he's one of my favorite artists, so I'm throwing him on this list for good measure.

Fair to Midland (Experimental Alt. Metal) - Alternative rock with a bit of a progressive/folk edge. Listen to Dance Of The Manatee, April Fools and Eggmen and Tall Tales Taste Like Sour Grapes.

Flying Lotus (Electronic/Instrumental Hip Hop) - Not sure what to say, so I'll leave it at this: check out his album Cosmogramma, it's one of the best of 2010.

Hurt (Alternative Rock) - Incredibly solid rock with some metal & progressive elements. Check out Vol. II and the songs Summers Lost, Rapture, Overdose, Thank You For Listening and Wars.

Immortal Technique (Hip Hop) - My absolute favorite artist in hip hop, listen to Dance With the Devil, The Point Of No Return, Leaving the Past and Revolutionary.

Jeff Buckley (Singer-songwriter/Rock) - The entire world should know of the great Jeff Buckley, but sadly, they don't. Do yourself a favor and listen to his album Grace.

Opus Däi (Progressive Metal) - Nothing original, but extremely good at what they do. Listen to the song The Day The World Stopped Turning.

Parades (Experimental Indie Pop) - A new band that just came out this year, their debut album Foreign Tapes is one of my favorites of the year thus far.

P.O.S. (Hip Hop) - Any fan of hip hop needs to go listen to Let It Rattle, Purexed, Goodbye and Half-Cocked Concepts. Right now.

Rob Dougan - I don't even know what to put as his genre, so let last.fm explain: "Rob Dougan is a genre-blending music composer. Mixing the sound of orchestral film music, the beats of club Trip Hop, and bluesy vocals, he is only tangentially relatable to electronic music." Now go listen to his one album Furious Angels, it's one of my favorites.

Streetlight Manifesto (Ska Punk) - The most fun band in my entire music library. Those not turned off by the genre should listen to Everything Goes Numb.

Thomas Dybdahl - A Norwegian acoustic singer-songwriter, listen to Something Real, From Grace, Cecilia, and one day you'll dance for me new york city.

Tom Waits (Experimental Blues Rock) - This man recently overtook Pain of Salvation as my all-time favorite artist in music. He is not someone I think the vast majority of DTF will find appealing or even good, but regardless, I can't leave him off of here. Go down the rabbit hole and listen to the albums Rain Dogs, Bone Machine, Alice and Swordfishtrombone.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Recommend bands/artists to DTF
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 04:56:15 PM »
Check out Feel Good Ghosts from Cloud Cult.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:00:48 PM »
I'm gonna recommend Florence & the Machine.

It's this sort of... beautiful, celtic pop. Really catchy, she's got fantastic lungs, and there are all these layers of harps and such. She's quite big in the UK, and the single best pop artist in the charts by miles. I've got no idea how it got popular but she's supremely good. Original, innovative, organic and magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpLXQorSQe8

(And just in case you're not curious to watch it already, she's a fairly good looking lass.)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 05:03:50 PM »
Grayceon - https://www.myspace.com/grayceon
Grayceon is Jackie Perez Gratz (Amber Asylum/Giant Squid) on electric cello and voice, Max Doyle (Walken) on guitar and voice, and Zack Farwell (Walken) on drums. Grayceon pulls together an extremely diverse range of musical influences and writing styles to create a fresh sound that defies the boundaries of the metal/rock/progressive genres. Compared to Opeth, King Crimson, and Ved Buens Ende, not in sound but in 'feel', Grayceon embraces the hard-to-describe-them definition and expects no hard comparisons to be made any time soon. Alternate low tuning on both cello and guitar, finger picked metal riffs, dreamy double vocals, and unpredictably impeccable drumming all meet to give Grayceon their unique sensibility.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 05:15:17 PM »

It's this sort of... beautiful, celtic pop. Really catchy, she's got fantastic lungs, and there are all these layers of harps and such. She's quite big in the UK, and the single best pop artist in the charts by miles. I've got no idea how it got popular but she's supremely good. Original, innovative, organic and magical.

(And just in case you're not curious to watch it already, she's a fairly good looking lass.)

+1 for Florence.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
Soilwork. Not sure about how popular they are but I just started listening to them and I'm in love. They are Swedish Melodic Death Metal. They remind me of a talented Metal version of Shinedown.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
Stephen Simmonds, swedish neo-soul singer/composer. I don't like that type of music usually, but this guy is something else. Check out the tracks 'Alone' and his most succesful single 'Tears never Dry'. Idk, just totally into chilled out stuff right now.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:28:42 PM »
Mew-I know there are a few fans here, but based on all the PT and Radiohead fans here, I think they'd be well-received.  Their album Frengers is perfect alternative/indie/prog/rock, while their last two albums have followed that trend, but they're doing a lot of cool different rhythms in their music.  "Introducing Palace Players," "The Zookeeper's Boy," "156," "Comforting Sounds," "Snow Brigade," "Louisa Louisa," "Sometimes Life Isn't Easy" and "Cartoons and Macramé Wounds" are fantastic.

Pure Reason Revolution-I know some people here like them too, but they need some more recognition.  Their first album was very Floyd-like, and their second added some more rock and electronic/dance influence.  Check out "Voices in Winter," "Les Mahlers," "AVO," "Aeropause/Goshen's Remains," "Ambassador's Return," and "Deus Ex Machina."

My Morning Jacket-Only have two albums: Z and Evil Urges, but both are great.  Combines Southern Rock, Alternative Rock, Indie Rock, and makes something truly unique, especially on Evil Urges.  "Evil Urges," "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2," "Dodante," "It Beats 4 U," and "Highly Suspicious" are my favorites.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 10:59:08 PM »
To anyone who likes percussion based music, the Blue Man Group. Srs, some good music there.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 11:14:50 PM »

+1 for Florence.

Been spinning 'Lungs' for the past couple of days, so good.  So many awesome melodies.  +1 from me, too.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 11:17:08 PM »
Pure Reason Revolution-I know some people here like them too, but they need some more recognition.  Their first album was very Floyd-like, and their second added some more rock and electronic/dance influence.  Check out "Voices in Winter," "Les Mahlers," "AVO," "Aeropause/Goshen's Remains," "Ambassador's Return," and "Deus Ex Machina."
Love them! :tup

And I, obviously, recommend Unexpect to DTF...I know that it's not music for everyone but try to be open-minded and patient with them and maybe it will click for you too. :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:48:46 PM by Gorille85 »

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 11:45:09 PM »
Forseti

Superb acoustic folk in the vein of 'Vali - Forlatt' and 'Agalloch - The White'. German vocals & lyrics, quite dark as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYveSpAw40Q

Ulver

Pretty much every genre depending on what album you choose. My favourite of their styles is their experimental electronic trip-hop, with heavy use of sax and piano (ala Perdition City). Dark, late night city type stuff. Very immersive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCvdD5z2w6A

Will post some more obscure/small artists when I'm at home
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 04:35:04 AM »
Ulver

Pretty much every genre depending on what album you choose. My favourite of their styles is their experimental electronic trip-hop, with heavy use of sax and piano (ala Perdition City). Dark, late night city type stuff. Very immersive.

You knew I was already a big fan of Perdition City, but I gave Blood Inside, Bergtatt and Kveldssanger listens today and... dear god, they're swiftly becoming one of my favorite bands. I think I may even like Blood Inside more than Perdition City.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 06:30:02 AM »
Ulver

You knew I was already a big fan of Perdition City, but I gave Blood Inside, Bergtatt and Kveldssanger listens today and... dear god, they're swiftly becoming one of my favorite bands. I think I may even like Blood Inside more than Perdition City.
:heart

The 2nd half of Dressed in Black is easily one of the best sections in all of musical history.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 03:55:55 AM »
I second Streetlight Manifesto, Rob Dougan (although I only really dug the instrumental disc, and aside from One and the Same, he's somewhat of a one-trick pony) and Florence and the Machine.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 05:05:32 AM »

I quite like her album but...er, she's not really

Frank Turner - Folk rock singer-songwriter, formerly of post-hardcore band Million Dead. Absolutely fantastic lyricist. Try this for size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0sYJSibVZ8

Idlewild - Used to be quite punky, now more R.E.M. alt-rock. Some really great anthems and Roddy is a pretty unique lyricist. Try: More recent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjxIp7h7WSU, older stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID4eDiYbadA&feature=related

Therapy? - Alt.metal band who were quite big in the UK in the mid 90s. Some poppy stuff and some really dark stuff. Poppy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDVsIvvFtcs&feature=related  Dark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbO1AaCnWnQ&feature=related
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 05:16:52 AM »

You're saying you'd kick Florence Welch out of bed?  Whoa, there buddy. 

Whoa.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 05:20:19 AM »

Whoa.

I can't look at her without thinking of Noel Fielding
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 05:23:28 AM »

Whoa.

I can't look at her without thinking of Noel Fielding

:lol Well, he is a beautiful man.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 07:59:25 AM »
Electric Light Orchestra
Prog/classic/orchestra, just check them out.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 11:52:55 AM »
L.A. Guns
Cinderella
Racer X
Paul Gilbert/Mr. Big
Enuff Z'Nuff
Dokken
The Descendents
Cheap Trick
ZO2

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 05:17:38 PM »

Thomas Dybdahl - A Norwegian acoustic singer-songwriter, listen to Something Real, From Grace, Cecilia, and one day you'll dance for me new york city.

Just came here to second this. Very unknown artist but he has made some great music.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 07:11:05 PM »
ARCANE

Seriously, these guys would be in my top 10 favourite bands if they had released more than two albums.

https://www.myspace.com/arcaneaustralia
https://www.arcaneaustralia.com/
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 07:50:05 PM »

Just came here to second this. Very unknown artist but he has made some great music.

Yeah I know about him. A friend of mine tried to get me into it, but it didn't work. Will check out mentioned songs (or albums?).
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 09:31:51 PM »
Krotchraut
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 09:38:57 PM »
Dude you have to capitalize the R. It doesn't matter tho cause that's predictable and boring.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »
SDN, I'm downloading Evil Urges now. I like Jim James' work with Monsters of Folk so I figured I should probably check out his band sooner or later.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 09:46:11 PM »
:lol Jim James

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 09:47:08 PM »
:lol

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »
Ok time to pimp some smaller artists

Kauan

Nature inspired post-rock. Pretty much as relaxing as it gets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ5dvpgBVt8

Bohren & der Club of Gore

Ambient dark-jazz. Perfect late night music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJGiSqfbas

By The End of Tonight

Great math-rock, very energetic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ahze1kdsfs

Cloudkicker

Instrumental prog/post metal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZC7M24UywY

El Ten Eleven

chilled inde/post-rock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofdtZMy63x0

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 10:02:17 PM »
hey Arcaeus, I'm downloading Rain Dogs.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »
The Sword - "Maiden, Mother & Crone"
I've heard them get talked about a bit here, but think retro Black Sabbath-y stoner metal. They opened for Metallica and have two albums out and a third this month. For fans of: Metallica, Black Sabbath, Saviours, Wolfmother

Texas Hippie Coalition - "Pissed Off And Mad About It"
If you like Pantera, you will like this band. For fans of: Pantera

Thought Chamber
Tremendously influenced by Dream Theater, as one can see in the name. Slightly more operatic vocals than Dream Theater's, but if you like DT you'll probably like TC. For fans of: Dream Theater

That's all for now

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »

Ambient dark-jazz. Perfect late night music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJGiSqfbas

I feel like I need a pipe and glass of scotch.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 10:16:02 PM »

I feel like I need a pipe and glass of scotch.
Seriously. That was so...thick. I really like it, but it's something I would definitely need to be in a certain mood for.