8 (20.5%)
Ozzmosis
1 (2.6%)
Down to Earth
2 (5.1%)
Black Rain
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: The best Ozzy solo album?  (Read 6419 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
The best Ozzy solo album?
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:17:36 AM »
I'm sure this'll be heavily skewed to those early albums.   And for some, the deciding factor might just be a preference in guitarists.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The best Ozzy solo album?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:18:53 AM »
I think Blizzard Of Ozz is his best album, but I also have a soft spot for The Ultimate Sin - it was my first Ozzy solo album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »
Blizzard and Diary are just classic.  Bark At The Moon was Jake at his finest and was pretty solid from start to finish.  But No More Tears is probably as consistent an album as you could possibly hope for.  Some VERY strong tracks on that one.  In fact, the title track is probably one of my all-time favorite songs from anyone.

I don't really care for any of the other albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
As I pointed out in the rhythm section thread, Diary is driven by Kerslake/Daisley, while blizzard is all Rhoades/Airey.  For that reason, I've always preferred Diary.  I adore RR's playing, I just prefer Diary. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 01:41:27 PM »
Diary of a Madman, with Blizzard of Ozz and No More Tears easily taking up the 2-3 spots.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 02:00:11 PM »
As I pointed out in the rhythm section thread, Diary is driven by Kerslake/Daisley, while blizzard is all Rhoades/Airey.  For that reason, I've always preferred Diary.  I adore RR's playing, I just prefer Diary.  

I actually find Airey much more prominantly on Bark At The Moon.

I rank them
1. Blizzard
1. Diary
3. Bark At The Moon
4. No More Tears
5. Ozzmosis

Top 5 songs!
1. Diary Of A Madman
2. Waiting For Darkness
3. Mr. Crowley  (you knew I'd list that one!)
4. See You On The Other Side
5. Mama I'm Coming Home

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:34:26 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
As I pointed out in the rhythm section thread, Diary is driven by Kerslake/Daisley, while blizzard is all Rhoades/Airey.  For that reason, I've always preferred Diary.  I adore RR's playing, I just prefer Diary. 

I do too, but honestly, everything after the first two is of such lesser quality, that I don't even count them.  Ozzy recorded two albums worth owning IMO.  Any Ozzy album discussion I participate in will only deal with these two albums. 

Where's SATO on your list?  Had to go back and listen to that a second time yesterday. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 02:32:30 PM »

I do too, but honestly, everything after the first two is of such lesser quality, that I don't even count them.  Ozzy recorded two albums worth owning IMO.  Any Ozzy album discussion I participate in will only deal with these two albums. 

Where's SATO on your list?  Had to go back and listen to that a second time yesterday. 

"Now I find, Peace of mind..." Yeah that's a good song. Not Top 10 though.....
WTF does SATO actually stand for??

I probably listed Diary ahead of Blizzard for the longest time. You know..they're probably tied. One song that has really grown on me over time is Revelation (Mother Earth).

I can't wait for the Ytsejam cover album to be released with Diary on it. Dream Theater did a great job with it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 02:50:25 PM »

"Now I find, Peace of mind..." Yeah that's a good song. Not Top 10 though.....
WTF does SATO actually stand for??

I probably listed Diary ahead of Blizzard for the longest time. You know..they're probably tied. One song that has really grown on me over time is Revelation (Mother Earth).

I can't wait for the Ytsejam cover album to be released with Diary on it. Dream Theater did a great job with it!
Sailing Across the Ocean.  A masterpiece if you ask me. 

Revelation/Steal Away is the best song on the album, IMO. 

Never heard DT's cover, but it's a perfect fit for them.  The whole album would be, actually. 
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 03:32:08 PM »
SATO is a hidden gem, that's for sure. And you're right, Daisley's a beast on it!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
I have a soft spot for Blizzard of OZZ. My first band played in the battle of bands in my local town  and we played Steal Away the Night but Diary is a killer album.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:35:53 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 10:41:45 PM »
Any other Ozzmosis fans here? Such an underrated album. Even as the follow up to No More Tears, I think it's great. Sort of a forgotten one though.
And of course the first two albums are awesome. Both rock classics. Down to Earth also has some great metal tracks, but not classic like his earlier stuff. And Black Rain is no good. It has maybe two good tracks.
For favourite I couldn't pick. Between Diary/Blizzard/No More Tears, they're all fantastic.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 05:30:42 AM »
Blizzard and Diary are just classic.  Bark At The Moon was Jake at his finest and was pretty solid from start to finish.  But No More Tears is probably as consistent an album as you could possibly hope for.  Some VERY strong tracks on that one.  In fact, the title track is probably one of my all-time favorite songs from anyone.

I don't really care for any of the other albums.
Ummm...this exactly.

That's scary.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 02:44:45 PM »
Any other Ozzmosis fans here? Such an underrated album. Even as the follow up to No More Tears, I think it's great. Sort of a forgotten one though.

Hey, I listed it! Don't I count? :)

See You ON The Other Side is outstanding. Love Perry Mason too. I Just Want You.  A very nice album indeed!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:10:51 PM by TAC »

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 03:24:06 PM »
Diary of a Madman
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline SinisterMinisterX

• Grand Poobah of Small Miscellaneous Objects
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 04:06:29 PM »
Diary, though it's a tough choice. Blizzard was my fave for years, but I played it too much and got tired of it. Bark At The Moon and No More Tears are great, and I'll always have a soft spot for The Ultimate Sin because seeing Ozzy on that tour was my first concert. (With Metallica opening, with Cliff ... amazing.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »
The Ultimate Sin because seeing Ozzy on that tour was my first concert. (With Metallica opening, with Cliff ... amazing.)
I had two sets of friends, one went to Worcester, and I decided to go with the others to Providence. Well, my Worcester bound friends saw Ozzy/Metallica. But they cancelled the Providence show which was scheduled a couple of nights later. So I missed out! I ended up selling my tix for the rescheduled show (no Metallica!!).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 10:25:51 PM »
That was a tough decision since he has so many great albums (although I haven't picked up his latest release).  I went with BoO.  I think that album best represents what a lot of fans have come to love about Ozzy.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 11:07:01 PM »

Hey, I listed it! Don't I count? :)

See You ON The Other Side is outstanding. Love Perry Mason too. I Just Want You.  A very nice album indeed!

:tup Awesome. Didn't see that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 11:12:57 PM »
Ozzmosis has some good stuff.  I am actually very fond of "My Little Man," and some of the lesser-known rockers like "Tomorrow" and "Thunder Underground" are pretty cool.  And of course "See You on the Other Side" is great.

Oh, and even though DOAM is my favorite solo record of his, "Revelation (Mother Earth)" is hands down his best song.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 01:17:40 PM »

I like the album a lot musically, but the production seems way too compressed.  Especially on the drums.  The snare inparticular sounds too muffled and not very crisp.  Did you notice that?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »
no more tears

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »

I like the album a lot musically, but the production seems way too compressed.  Especially on the drums.  The snare inparticular sounds too muffled and not very crisp.  Did you notice that?

It is a lot more compressed, but I don't consider it too much so. It's not great production anyway. The drums do have a weird raw sound to them that bugged me at first though, although I wouldn't call it muffled. I think it sounds more of the opposite. It's just a very raw snare.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 08:26:09 PM »
Super bump!!

I just watched the Ozzy Special on VH1 Classic and it's a reminder on how I neglected the first 2 Ozzy albums of late.  Damn was Randy Rhoads so innovative for his time.  I need to blast the first 2 albums tomorrow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 12:21:53 AM »
I voted Ozzmosis because the melodies are great and it's so heavy.  And Zakk Wylde is just beast  :metal :metal :metal

In fact, Ozzmosis would probably be in my top 10 albums of the 90's; I love it that much.  It was the Ozzy album that was out when I was becoming a fan, which I'm sure is still a factor in why I favor it.  Plus, I just prefer the heaviness of the 90's sound over the 80's sound.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 12:37:03 AM »
I voted No More Tears. It was the first Ozzy album which I ever heard and so many killer hits on that one just stunned me. Great album :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 02:44:10 AM »
I have never been a fan of Ozzy's voice and it was his guitarists that got me even remotely interested in his solo stuff.

Ultimate Sin- Jake's finest hour for me. And how can you not love a song called Thank God For The Bomb? Especially when he played it live in Japan.
Diary- A very close second. Only track I'm not struck on is Believer. SATO, Little Dolls and Diary are stellar.
Blizzard- Prefer this to anything OO did in Sabbath. Randy was awesome.

Bark- Apart from BATM, JTTCoE, and ST a poor effort I thought at the time. Don't play it much. Maybe I'd prefer it now. Will dig it out.

Once Zakk arrived I lost interest. Wasn't a fan of his constant pinched harmonics.
Ozzy today is just a joke thanks to that wife of his.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 05:53:56 AM »
My favourite Ozzy album is The Ultimate Sin.  I don't know why Ozzy hates that album and dismisses it, IMO it's just awesome.  Great 80's rock, with excellent grooves, melodies and as Lowdz said, Jake's best work, his guitar solos here are just perfect.  Besides Randy's work, this album has Ozzy's best guitar work.  Criminally underrated.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 06:25:02 AM »
My favourite Ozzy album is The Ultimate Sin.  I don't know why Ozzy hates that album and dismisses it, IMO it's just awesome.  Great 80's rock, with excellent grooves, melodies and as Lowdz said, Jake's best work, his guitar solos here are just perfect.  Besides Randy's work, this album has Ozzy's best guitar work.  Criminally underrated.

Saw Ozzy on that tour with Metallica opening.(MOP tour)  Jake E. Lee pointed his headstock at the fans and some ape grabbed it and pulled him him.  He got back up and his guitar wasn't working and he was so pissed he threw his guitar across the stage, got a new one from his rodie and then stood in front of the guy swearing and pointing till the security took him away.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 06:28:42 AM »

Saw Ozzy on that tour with Metallica opening.(MOP tour)  Jake E. Lee pointed his headstock at the fans and some ape grabbed it and pulled him him.  He got back up and his guitar wasn't working and he was so pissed he threw his guitar across the stage, got a new one from his rodie and then stood in front of the guy swearing and pointing till the security took him away.
Lol, that sucks  :\

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 09:01:12 AM »

So...you missed the end of the show? :D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 10:14:15 AM »
No!! :lol  I was 3 rows from the floor in the Centrum and watched Jake F Bomb and point about 30 times.  He even gave the slash your throat signal to the ass.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 10:16:53 AM »

Great to see another appreciation for The Ultimate Sin :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 10:20:58 AM »
I love Killer of Giants.  That always made my mixed tapes of cd's.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »

No!! :lol  I was 3 rows from the floor in the Centrum and watched Jake F Bomb and point about 30 times.  He even gave the slash your throat signal to the ass.
I love Killer of Giants.  That always made my mixed tapes of cd's.

:metal :metal :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.