9 (7.3%)
Pearl Jam
23 (18.7%)
Soundgarden
31 (25.2%)
Stone Temple Pilots
3 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Grunge Discussion (Poll as well)  (Read 18668 times)

Offline contest_sanity

Re: Grunge Discussion (Poll as well)
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »
Bush.
I didn't follow them much after the first 2, but Sixteen Stone is a grunge classic: at least 5 singles off that album.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 06:23:06 AM »
SWALLOWED

FOLLOWED

Can't say I like Bush, but I like that song. And Everything Zen is pretty cool.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 06:27:28 AM »
Bush.
I didn't follow them much after the first 2, but Sixteen Stone is a grunge classic: at least 5 singles off that album.

Sixteen Stone and Razorblade Suitcase are really the only essential Bush.  The Science of Things was a great listen but nothing compared to the first two.

Sixteen Stone is amazing, it was the first cd I owned and it introduced me into rock music.  Songs like Everything Zen, Bomb (fucking gem of a song), Little Things, Comedown, Machinehead, Glycerine, Swim, just a classic album, I love it even after all these years.

Forgot Testosterone, Monkey and Body.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 06:28:35 AM »
SWALLOWED

FOLLOWED

Can't say I like Bush, but I like that song. And Everything Zen is pretty cool.

If you like those songs, check the two album, they are very very good.

Razorblade had Greedy Fly, Cold Contagious, Tendency to Start Fires, Mouth, Bonedriven, also an amazing album.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 06:29:14 AM »
Everything Zen, Machinehead, and Glycerine are awesome.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 06:31:29 AM »
My brother has the albums. He's like Grunge/Grunge-related Central. I basically sampled the entire genre, and most of the music that influenced it, through him.

Some of the other songs were okay, from memory. But some kind of irked me. Glycerine and Mouth, for example. I dunno, maybe I should give them a try.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 06:33:14 AM »
My brother has the albums. He's like Grunge/Grunge-related Central. I basically sampled the entire genre, and most of the music that influenced it, through him.

Some of the other songs were okay, from memory. But some kind of irked me. Glycerine and Mouth, for example. I dunno, maybe I should give them a try.

I totally understand what you mean by being 'irked out.'  Some of their songs are really somber and Gavin's voice is somewhat disturbing and haunting at times.  Plus his lyrics are absolutely fucking bizarre.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
Is Bush really grunge? I considered them just a Rock band. I bought Sixteen Stone on cassette for my tenth birthday. Always liked it, but yeah, some of the songs are just weird.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 10:39:08 AM »
Back to Nirvana, I like them, they are just not nearly as enjoyable to listen to as the others. But I love all their hits and singles and all that. AIC I've already talked about enough (one of my favorite bands ever). STP have that perfect mix of psychedelic rock, grunge, metal, country, and blues to be awesome, I could see myself liking Pearl Jam a lot if I heard more, as well as Soundgarden. I'll probably remain a casual Nirvana fan, because when I do hear the rest of their music (which I have on my computer), I can picture myself liking about half of it.

Offline j

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden

Pearl Jam
STP
Nirvana

AiC and Soundgarden are VERY close, I didn't know which one to rank first.  None of these bands are terrible though, not even Nirvana.

-J

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »
Machinehead

Is there a different Machine Head out there?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2010, 11:33:16 AM »
There's a Bush song called Machinehead. It's one of their most popular songs.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
Pearl Jam, followed by Nirvana.  The rest I'm not familiar with.

I don't classify PJ as a grunge act, though.  The Ten/u] album has a bit of that sound, but by their second and third albums they had crafted a sound all their own.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2010, 12:56:57 PM »
Looking back, I wish I was more in to grunge when it started taking off, since it was pretty much right in my back yard with PJ/AiC/etc... starting off in the PNW. Alas, I was too busy lamenting the downfall of the 80s MTV-generation hair/glam band genre  :'(
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2010, 03:12:01 PM »
There's a Bush song called Machinehead. It's one of their most popular songs.

Oh. My bad. Carry on.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »
Is Bush really grunge? I considered them just a Rock band. I bought Sixteen Stone on cassette for my tenth birthday. Always liked it, but yeah, some of the songs are just weird.

I guess you have a point.  I guess they could be classed as alternate rock maybe.  I guess they were just out when the grunge movement were popular so they got stuck with that.

Really, most of Pearl Jam's material wouldn't be grunge either.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2010, 05:23:54 PM »
Out of all those bands, PJ is the only one I really listen to. And boy do I listen to them!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2010, 09:41:34 PM »
Here's my list that no one will prolly give a damn about. ;)
Alice in Chains/Soundgarden
Temple of the Dog
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Stone Temple Pilots

Dirt and Superunknown are perfect albums. I like Superunknown a little better since Dirt is just... depressing to listen to at times. Badmotorfinger and Facelift are both great. Down on the Upside and Alice and Chains are both kinda meh, though I prefer DotU, too much of AiC is just drawn out and boring. Thankfully, Black Gives Way to Blue was much better. Soundgarden's earlier stuff is just.... weird. Some great songs and just some obnoxious shit. Not sure how I'd rank it since I've only listened to a few songs here and there.

As for Pearl Jam, Ten is a great album, though a lot of the songs are overplayed. I've listened to 'some' of their other material and a lot of it just does nothing for me aside from a song here and there. Probably a band I should be more familiar with, but I can't get myself to care enough.

I admit I haven't listened to enough Nirvana and STP to make a solid judgment call (just the 'hits') but both give me little reason to care. STP, in particular, annoys me whenever I hear them.

Temple of the Dog is a fantastic album. 'Reach Down' is a great, great track. Actually most of the album is great.

I'm not sure if they'd be properly classified as 'grunge' (as a label it's pretty useless, since none of the above bands share much in common anyways), but Blind Melon's debut is a great album as well. Lots of very good tracks on there. Not sure how I'd place them since I haven't listened to their subsequent releases except for one of the albums released after Shannon Hoon died; For My Friends. It was not good.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »
Here's my list that no one will prolly give a damn about. ;)
Alice in Chains/Soundgarden
Temple of the Dog
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Stone Temple Pilots

Dirt and Superunknown are perfect albums. I like Superunknown a little better since Dirt is just... depressing to listen to at times. Badmotorfinger and Facelift are both great. Down on the Upside and Alice and Chains are both kinda meh, though I prefer DotU, too much of AiC is just drawn out and boring. Thankfully, Black Gives Way to Blue was much better. Soundgarden's earlier stuff is just.... weird. Some great songs and just some obnoxious shit. Not sure how I'd rank it since I've only listened to a few songs here and there.

As for Pearl Jam, Ten is a great album, though a lot of the songs are overplayed. I've listened to 'some' of their other material and a lot of it just does nothing for me aside from a song here and there. Probably a band I should be more familiar with, but I can't get myself to care enough.

I admit I haven't listened to enough Nirvana and STP to make a solid judgment call (just the 'hits') but both give me little reason to care. STP, in particular, annoys me whenever I hear them.

Temple of the Dog is a fantastic album. 'Reach Down' is a great, great track. Actually most of the album is great.

I'm not sure if they'd be properly classified as 'grunge' (as a label it's pretty useless, since none of the above bands share much in common anyways), but Blind Melon's debut is a great album as well. Lots of very good tracks on there. Not sure how I'd place them since I haven't listened to their subsequent releases except for one of the albums released after Shannon Hoon died; For My Friends. It was not good.
1. I gave a damn  ;D
2. Welcome to the forums
3. Awesome username, assuming you're referring to King Crimson or Bruce Dickinson's "King In Crimson". Either way:  :tup.

What I've heard of Blind Melon, I've liked, so I'll eventually be getting into them more.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2010, 10:48:13 PM »
1. I gave a damn  ;D
2. Welcome to the forums
3. Awesome username, assuming you're referring to King Crimson or Bruce Dickinson's "King In Crimson". Either way:  :tup.

What I've heard of Blind Melon, I've liked, so I'll eventually be getting into them more.
1.  :tup
2. Thanks!
3. Both, actually.

Definitely give them some time. Their self-titled is fantastic! It's too bad they're really only known for that one song and probably thought of as a one-hit wonder.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2010, 10:48:19 PM »
Nirvana trumps them all, though I never listen to any of those bands anymore, so it doesn't matter.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2010, 06:19:18 AM »
Nirvana trumps them all, though I never listen to any of those bands anymore, so it doesn't matter.
Well, aren't you just so prog?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2010, 09:02:43 AM »
"Whyyyyyyyyyyyyiiyiiyiiyiiiyii Can' I just Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyiiiiiiiiiiiiyiiiiiiiiiiiiiyiiiiiiiiiiii?!"

Confused as to which grunge band does that song? That's because they all do.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Lol isn't that Pearl Jam?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2010, 09:35:02 AM »
Well, aren't you just so prog?
:neverusethis:

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
"Whyyyyyyyyyyyyiiyiiyiiyiiiyii Can' I just Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyiiiiiiiiiiiiyiiiiiiiiiiiiiyiiiiiiiiiiii?!"

Incorrect.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2010, 03:09:14 PM »
I am surprised people are mentioning Temple of the Dog here. Good grunge-era album, sure, but given it's one-off tribute nature, I don't even consider it from a band perspective when thinking about the best bands of that time.

As far as bands of the time go, Mother Love Bone tops my list, then (based on how much I listen to what I have in my collection):

Pearl Jam - ten remains one of the best albums of all time, IMHO, and still gets regular spins from me.
AIC
Nirvana
Soundgarden
STP

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2010, 04:49:23 AM »

Can you give us some specific examples please?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2010, 05:10:30 AM »
No, Bush wasn't a grunge band.

This just in: neither was STP.

lol youngsters.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2010, 05:15:55 AM »
What ages do you classify as 'youngsters?'

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2010, 09:02:40 AM »
Anyone younger than yourself.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2010, 12:30:58 PM »
 :lol
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
AiC, with Soundgarden close behind and no others even close to either.  AiC was heavy and had some of the best vocal harmonies ever done by anybody.  Add to that the fact that they could write a really good song.

I like the description of Soundgarden as the Sabbath of the '90s.  But their music was pretty diverse and was hit and miss with me.  Some of their stuff I really liked.  Other stuff...meh.

I liked Pearl Jam for Ten, and then lost interest after that.  Nothing else they have done grabbed me.  But I remember rushing out to buy Ten the day it came out after months of anticipation, and that album did not let me down. 

I don't like any of those other bands, or really any of the others loosely classified as "grunge."

AND TEMPLE OF THE DOG DON'T COUNT BECAUSE THEY WERE A SIDE PROJECT!  THAT'S CHEATING!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »
Seeing Alice In Chains live last night confirmed that they are an incredible band.
DEFINITELY the best ''grunge'' band.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2010, 06:57:09 PM »
For purposes of this thread - people not old enough to have been fans of grunge when it was being produced.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.