9 (7.3%)
Pearl Jam
23 (18.7%)
Soundgarden
31 (25.2%)
Stone Temple Pilots
3 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Grunge Discussion (Poll as well)  (Read 18495 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Grunge Discussion (Poll as well)
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2021, 12:59:35 PM »
I like PJ....but I guess I resent Vedder a bit for taking over the band. I forget if it was Stone or Jeff, but one of them said that somewhere around No Code or Yield, it was starting to come apart due to internal friction and they had to decide whether to break up or “become Eddie’s backing band”...they opted for the latter. He makes it sound as if it’s not very collaborative anymore.

I always felt AIC were grossly overrated (and I prefer Facelift over Dirt) what I’ve heard from the recent albums with the new lead singer has really impressed me, and I’m seriously wanting to pick up Rainier Fog.

Rainer Fog may be my favorite AiC record, actually.  It's the best of the parts I like best about AiC (I love those droning dual vocals).   I'm glad I got to see them live (Jerry was right in front of me).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2021, 01:05:52 PM »
  I'm glad I got to see them live.

Me too.

July 6, 1991
Great Woods
Mansfield, Ma

[/b]
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2021, 01:06:51 PM »
Who they open for Tim?  I saw them open for Van Halen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2021, 01:08:40 PM »

I also saw them open for Van Halen.

This was the Clash Of The Titans show.
Anthrax
Slayer
Megadeth
Alice In Chains
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2021, 01:12:36 PM »
I like PJ....but I guess I resent Vedder a bit for taking over the band. I forget if it was Stone or Jeff, but one of them said that somewhere around No Code or Yield, it was starting to come apart due to internal friction and they had to decide whether to break up or “become Eddie’s backing band”...they opted for the latter. He makes it sound as if it’s not very collaborative anymore.

I always felt AIC were grossly overrated (and I prefer Facelift over Dirt) what I’ve heard from the recent albums with the new lead singer has really impressed me, and I’m seriously wanting to pick up Rainier Fog.

Rainer Fog may be my favorite AiC record, actually.  It's the best of the parts I like best about AiC (I love those droning dual vocals).   I'm glad I got to see them live (Jerry was right in front of me).

I like the post-Layne Staley albums quite a bit, and Rainier Fog is a good one that's at least on par with Black Gives Way to Blue.

But for me, somehow the music is missing that extra snarl (yarl?), bite, edge, resonance... whatever you want to call it.... that you got with Staley on vocals.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline romdrums

« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2021, 01:17:14 PM »

I also saw them open for Van Halen.

This was the Clash Of The Titans show.
Anthrax
Slayer
Megadeth
Alice In Chains

That must have been one hell of a show.   :metal :metal :metal :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2021, 01:18:35 PM »
  I also saw AiC open for Van Halen.  That was a hell of a tour.

AIC is undoubtedly my favorite grunge band. And Dirt is easily my favorite grunge album.

I would rank those 5 grunge bands:
1. AIC (fav album: Dirt)
2. Pearl Jam (fav album: Ten)
3. Soundgarden (fav album: Badmotorfinger)
4. Stone Temple Pilots (fav album: Purple)

5. Nirvana (fav album: Bleach)
STP wasn't really a grunge band.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2021, 01:42:46 PM »

I do prefer the early Pearl Jam albums, although I like both No Code and Yield a lot too. Vs. was probably the high water mark for me. There are a few tracks I like from Binaural, and then I didn’t get a ton out of Riot Act or the self titled release. I did really like Backspacer, but by the time Lightning Bolt came around I was really getting back into prog and I haven’t ever checked that one out or Gigaton. I did hear some good things about Gigaton so maybe I should check it out.

Alice In Chains are a band where I like the radio stuff better than the album cuts. But I do really like Jar of Flies a lot.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2021, 02:05:36 PM »
The one and only time I got to see AIC was opening for Ozzy on the 2nd leg of the No More Tours Tour in Norfolk, VA while in college.  It was Sepultura/AIC/Ozzy.  Layne performed in a wheelchair because he had broken his foot that summer.  How's this for a setlist:
Dam That River
We Die Young
Them Bones
Would?
Junkhead
God Smack
Put You Down
Sickman
It Ain't Like That
Angry Chair
Man In The Box

I only wish I had a better recollection of the show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2021, 02:26:00 PM »
Really never got into grunge so ranking these bands doesn't really make sense as I don't really like any of them.... besides AiC.  I don't love them, but I do like them and I think it's because they are a bit more metal.  I only saw them once on tour in 2018.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2021, 03:26:10 PM »
I don't love them, but I do like them and I think it's because they are a bit more metal.
I'd definitely put AIC closer to metal, especially with Facelift.  And, not too far behind, Soundgarden.  Badmotorfinger is totally metal. 

AIC and Soundgarden are (IMO) head and shoulders above the other 3 vocally.  Between the harmonies of Layne and Jerry and Chris' abilities, the others don't really come close.

Rank   Band (Favorite Release)
1.       Alice In Chains (Facelift)
2.       Soundgarden (Badmotorfinger)

3.       Pearl Jam (Ten)

4.       Stone Temple Pilots (Purple)

5.       Nirvana (Nevermind)

Offline HOF

« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2021, 03:31:09 PM »
I don't love them, but I do like them and I think it's because they are a bit more metal.
I'd definitely put AIC closer to metal, especially with Facelift.  And, not too far behind, Soundgarden.  Badmotorfinger is totally metal. 

AIC and Soundgarden are (IMO) head and shoulders above the other 3 vocally.  Between the harmonies of Layne and Jerry and Chris' abilities, the others don't really come close.

Rank   Band (Favorite Release)
1.       Alice In Chains (Facelift)
2.       Soundgarden (Badmotorfinger)

3.       Pearl Jam (Ten)

4.       Stone Temple Pilots (Purple)

5.       Nirvana (Nevermind)

What’s weird is I love the Temple of the Dog album and think Chris Cornell is an amazing singer, but I just don’t get a lot out of Soundgarden. Another band where I mostly just like the hits.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2021, 03:39:50 PM »
What’s weird is I love the Temple of the Dog album and think Chris Cornell is an amazing singer, but I just don’t get a lot out of Soundgarden. Another band where I mostly just like the hits.
TOTD were an amazing band.  I was lucky enough to see them at MSG back in 2019 (I think?).  An absolutely phenomenal show.  As for Soundgarden, "Jesus Christ Pose" and "Birth Ritual" (from the 'Singles' soundtrack) are my absolute favorites (and, probably the most "metal" songs they ever did).  If they only released those two songs, their output as a band would be significantly better than the catalogs of so many other bands.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2021, 06:20:02 PM »
TOTD were an amazing band.  I was lucky enough to see them at MSG back in 2019 (I think?).  An absolutely phenomenal show.  As for Soundgarden, "Jesus Christ Pose" and "Birth Ritual" (from the 'Singles' soundtrack) are my absolute favorites (and, probably the most "metal" songs they ever did).  If they only released those two songs, their output as a band would be significantly better than the catalogs of so many other bands.

BOOM!  I was at that show too; it was killer.   

It was also - for me - the difference between Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.  It's not the singer, it's the band.   I'm a HUGE fan of Stone Gossard; I think he blows Kim Thayil away. I think I just like the influences for Pearl Jam more; there's more Kiss/UFO in Pearl Jam.   Soundgarden are influenced by a lot of the same - John Lennon, Sabbath - but it comes out a lot weirder.   Harsher, more metallic (not METAL, but brittle, metallic.)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2021, 06:25:44 PM »
I love everything in this thread.... I agree with everyone...
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2021, 06:28:55 PM »
I love everything in this thread.... I agree with everyone...

No you don't. You didn't read closely enough. :lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2021, 01:48:14 AM »
Jerry Cantrell is easily the best grunge guitarist.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2021, 07:49:54 AM »
Jerry Cantrell is easily the best grunge guitarist.
I love his solo albums.  Degradation Trips 1 & 2 are definitely a lot darker than Boggy Depot, but equally killer.  I've heard he's working on a new one now.   :metal

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2021, 07:53:09 AM »
It was also - for me - the difference between Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.  It's not the singer, it's the band.   I'm a HUGE fan of Stone Gossard; I think he blows Kim Thayil away. I think I just like the influences for Pearl Jam more; there's more Kiss/UFO in Pearl Jam.   Soundgarden are influenced by a lot of the same - John Lennon, Sabbath - but it comes out a lot weirder.   Harsher, more metallic (not METAL, but brittle, metallic.)
Yeah, the two BANDS are definitely different.  I totally agree.  Soundgarden is Sabbath's bastard child.  And, as you said, more Kiss/UFO in PJ.  Their song compositions are totally different.  TOTD was the best of both worlds - PJ's songs and SG's voice.

Offline HOF

« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2022, 09:21:10 AM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2022, 11:50:44 AM »
I enjoy AIC, PJ and Soundgarden but for me Nirvanas music made more impact on me than any of the other bands during my teens. Dosen't matter if the other bands made more quality music or whatever. They defined the 90s and grunge for me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jammindude

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2022, 02:15:39 PM »
 :lol

That was fantastic. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Spider In The Sky

« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2022, 10:03:09 PM »
Soundgarden for me. They've got that extra cool factor of Kim Thayil's mysterious brooding guitar freak-outs and Chris Cornell's beautiful twisted songwriting (both lyrically and musically).  Plus Matt Cameron is the best drummer of any of these bands (Peal Jam would probably agree! lol).  And it's those proggy time signatures and weird tunings too that satisfy my more technical side.

After that probably Pearl Jam, mainly because Eddie Vedder really is just that great of a singer and often enough that great of a songwriter too.

Then would come Nirvana, who I used to dislike until I got over my prejudice about them "killing classic rock" or something, but still view them with a dash of "well they weren't all that." Very tight, idiosyncratic songs from Kurt, and Grohl and Novoselic were not a rhythm section to be trifled with by anyone.
...at the end of the day I vastly prefer the Foo Fighters though.

Then we have Alice In Chains, who honestly scare me a bit with they're darkness and gritty, addiction addled despair. On one hand, I think they're fantastic musicians and songwriters and have at least one masterpiece of an album in Dirt. On the other, they're not anything to be listened to lightly (which you could say about most of these bands, really, but it's especially true of AIC).

And last but not for much of a reason other than underexposure, STP.  I'm not the hugest fan of their "big" album Core, though I do dig the hits. But after hearing Tiny Music From The Vatican Gift Shop, I realized these guys had a lot more versatility than they were given credit for when Plush hit it big.  They almost sound brit-pop on that album, and I really enjoyed their 2018 album as well. So a really underappreciated band, but I think it's because they usually only get talked about in relation to the four giants I myself have placed above them. Oh well.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2022, 10:10:06 PM »
Y’all really need more Mudhoney in your lives.  ;D

Offline Spider In The Sky

« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2022, 10:17:13 PM »
Y’all really need more Mudhoney in your lives.  ;D

I got the Superfuzz Big Muff EP recently! Very good stuff. Sits nicely alongside some SG or Nirvana in that scuzzier more hardcore side of things.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2022, 05:19:56 PM »
Wasn't sure where to post this but this is pretty f-ing cool.  Imagine being this young man!  I bet he's a lot more popular at school tomorrow.   :laugh:

https://people.com/music/local-teen-saves-pearl-jam-concert-after-drummer-gets-covid-video/
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2022, 06:09:41 PM »
Cool indeed, but not as impressive as jumping on stage to fill in on the spot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scot_Halpin
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Harmony

« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2022, 06:12:12 PM »
LoL - both are pretty cool.  I imagine Moon's shoes were a bit bigger to fill....

Offline HOF

« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2022, 06:14:55 PM »
Wasn't sure where to post this but this is pretty f-ing cool.  Imagine being this young man!  I bet he's a lot more popular at school tomorrow.   :laugh:

https://people.com/music/local-teen-saves-pearl-jam-concert-after-drummer-gets-covid-video/

That is amazing!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2022, 06:17:46 PM »
So I read up a bit more on Scott Halpin and ran across this.  Speaking of cool...Pete Townshend for the win.

Scott Halpin went on to get married, manage a rock club, play in several groups and become composer-in-residence at the Headlands Centre For The Arts in Sausalito, California. He rarely played drums, preferring the guitar. Sadly, he died of a brain tumour in 2008, aged just 54.

On a whim, Halpin’s wife Robyn wrote to Pete Townshend’s office to tell him her husband had passed away. But she was astonished when Townshend replied with a message to be read out at Halpin’s memorial.

“Scott is often in my mind and always with the greatest gratitude and affection,” Townshend wrote. “He showed such youthful courage and humour standing in for Keith Moon that fateful day. Scott played so well too… He played drums brilliantly, smiled and went home…

“I measure my life by great and good people I have occasionally met,” he said finally. “Scott is one of the great and good ones. I worked that out in 30 minutes. That must surely say something about the man.”

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2022, 07:40:25 AM »
I found this part of the Wiki article...  I don't know what; amusing?  Worrisome? Telling?:

"Halpin was given a small shot of brandy for his nerves before taking his place behind his first drumset since leaving Iowa."

(Moon passed out from mixing ketamine and brandy.)

Offline WardySI

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2023, 04:55:26 PM »
Didn't know where to post this as couldn't find an official Soundgarden thread sorry if should be elsewhere...

Soundgarden fans will be happy to know we may be a step closer to hearing these final tunes (RIP Chris).

“The reconciliation marks a new partnership between the two parties, which will allow Soundgarden fans around the world to hear the final songs that the band and Chris were working on...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/soundgarden-chris-cornell-widow-settle-lawsuit-final-recordings-1234710236/amp/

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2023, 07:47:08 PM »
Didn't know where to post this as couldn't find an official Soundgarden thread sorry if should be elsewhere...

Soundgarden fans will be happy to know we may be a step closer to hearing these final tunes (RIP Chris).

That's awesome.  I've been on a huge AIC/soundgarden kick lately.  I didn't realize that Chris Cornell's first wife, Susan Silver, was the longtime manager of Alice in Chains.

I cam across this heart-wrenching performance of 'Black Gives Way to Blue' by Chris Cornell's daughter (with Chris DeGarmo) from an award ceremony for AIC back in 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAqS_c56TLE

Offline jammindude

« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2023, 07:56:24 PM »
Soundgarden to me was always the first and best of the Seattle Big 4.

I had Ultramega OK on cassette from the day it came out. Liked it a lot. But totally freaked out over Louder Than Love (first major label release by any of the big 4 IIRC). I listened to that album front to back non-stop for months and I still consider that to be my all time favorite “Seattle sound” album. (I hesitate to call it “grunge”, although I know that’s what people commonly know it as).

Sadly, I didn’t continue to follow any of the Seattle bands after they broke nationwide. But I’ve gone back and visited later material, and while I still think BMF is a bit overrated, I have absolutely fallen in love with Superunknown.  Really sorry I didn’t pick up on that album when it first landed. But better late than never, I suppose.

Still never heard King Animal. But I’m excited to hear the new stuff.