Author Topic: Re: How do you know "your" religion is the "correct" one?  (Read 25020 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: How do you know "your" religion is the "correct" one?
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »
I have a question for religious people. Total n00b, uneducated question here since religion is not really a part of my life. No real opinion on it or God in general. But I have always wondered:

If there are multiple religions in the world, and I am guessing each one of them says it is the right one and none other, then how can you be 100% sure the one you believe in is... I dunno... Correct, or legit, or true or... You know what I am saying? That the one you believe in is the right one even though the other ones say it is not.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:32:53 PM »
I have a question for religious people. Total n00b, uneducated question here since religion is not really a part of my life. No real opinion on it or God in general. But I have always wondered:

If there are multiple religions in the world, and I am guessing each one of them says it is the right one and none other, then how can you be 100% sure the one you believe in is... I dunno... Correct, or legit, or true or... You know what I am saying? That the one you believe in is the right one even though the other ones say it is not.

Legitimate question, but really off topic for this thread.  We've sort of touched on this idea in a few different threads lately, but I don't believe there was one set thread that specifically addressed the question specifically as you worded it.  Go ahead and start a thread on that if you want to discuss.

EDIT:  Actually, probably better if I just split this off for you.  Feel free to edit the title if you don't think the title I gave it is accurate.

Anyhow, the VERY short version for me is this:  As to why I believe Christianity is the right religion, that is a long, detailed answer that requires a lot of discussion, but the simple version is that I believe that many of the claims made by Christianity are verifiably true and backed up by history, archaelogy, and the sciences, and should not be verifiable if not true.  Add to that the fact that very specific prophesies were made and were verifiably fullfilled in exactly the manner they were foretold.  The fact that such a large number of claims are verifiably true, and against all realistic odds given the sheer number of claims and the circumstances under which they are made, leads me to believe that those claims that are not verifiable are also likely true.  In other words, to put it in more roughly biblical terms, because God has demonstrated to me that certain things that are true, I can have faith that those things that are stated or promised that I cannot verify are also true.  That, in a nutshell, is why I believe Christianity to be true.

Your question also, to me at least, implies the following question:  "how do you know that your religion is the only correct one?"  (forgive me if you were not implying that)  The short version:  Christianity claims over and over that the God of the Bible is the ONLY true God and that Christianity is the ONLY way to him.  It tells of a God who created all of us and expects ALL humanity to serve him, yet also gives us the freedom not to and has allowed people to reject him and go our own way.  I believe you are a Neal Morse fan if I recall correctly.  The One album uses this as its central theme and puts this very poetically.  I can write a longer post on this later if you indeed want to hear more on that subject.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:45:52 PM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »
Empirically, there is no way. Islam is empirically as good as Christianity, as is Roman or Norse mythology. So, the question becomes "what makes you not seriously doubt whatever you believe in?". And there, social context is the major one I would think. If everyone around you believes something different from you, doubt could creep in. If everyone believes the same, hey, that gives you a good cushion.

rumborak
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:47:11 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
Re: Re: How do you know "your" religion is the "correct" one?
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:41:30 PM »
Thanks Bosk.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »
You're welcome.  I also edited to provide somewhat of an answer above after you posted.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:50:07 PM »
This is a question that applies well beyond religion, though, into general belief/moral/ethics structures.  It's pretty simple for many people following the question everything perspective, you recognize that your beliefs are merely a set of personal choices.  You have to question yourself as well as any system presented to you.

That means you understand that you are almost surely wrong and that you will likely never know what is true.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:54:12 PM »
I think there's also something like a "reverse Pascal's wager" going on. If you invested a significant portion of your life in a certain viewpoint, you would have to consider that part as "wasted" if you were too change your view. It's a bit like someone dumping ever more money into a tanking stock, in the hope it will come up again. The thought of having wasted the already-spent money outweighs the pain of spending even more. I'm not saying that certain viewpoints are a "tanking stock" (even though, Creationism could certainly qualify as something like that), but the "cost" of changing your view increases over time.

rumborak

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:37:57 AM »

I believe that many of the claims made by Christianity are verifiable true and backed up by history, archaeology, and the sciences, and should not be verifiable if not true.  

hey Bosk, can you elaborate on this please.  I am curious. Examples?  History, I can see a debate happening.  But archaeology?  really? 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 07:40:41 AM »

I believe that many of the claims made by Christianity are verifiable true and backed up by history, archaeology, and the sciences, and should not be verifiable if not true.  

hey Bosk, can you elaborate on this please.  I am curious. Examples?  History, I can see a debate happening.  But archaeology?  really? 

I'd say archaeology is one of the big things that invalidates the Bible's claim to absolute truth.  When you start to realize that the OT is mostly a fairy tale with no grounding in reality, it sort of makes you wonder how accurate the NT could be...
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 07:59:49 AM »
Buddhism depends on the idea that all beings are connected through a type of energy beyond the material realm. When you are reasonably advanced at meditation you can "feel" this energy. I have "felt" this energy too. I use quotation marks because feeling is not the right word, but it's impossible to explain it to others that haven't experienced it. That's how I know emperically my religion is correct. I'm personally not sure if I could believe in something you can't empirically determine. So if I weren't a Buddhist I'd probably be an atheist (although you could call Buddhism atheism).

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 09:56:13 AM »
"Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know

this.

the Christian Scriptures are a historical document that was circulated in the generations of those who knew whether it was true or not...and they passed it on

if I were to try and pass off a document that declared that in 1965 there was a massive world war that killed millions, there are enough of you here that were alive then that would quickly note it was hogwash.  the NT writers made equally wild claims about the Messiah (whom they had been waiting on for milleniums) and instead of declaring it as hogwash, they passed on the document and many of the eyewitnesses went down as martyrs declaring that what they saw was true

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 09:59:37 AM »
I think a simple answer would be...

One "knows" their religion is correct because they were brought up and taught that their religion was the correct one and they grew up around the faith and still have the faith. They don't need to explore other religions because they have the faith that their religion is the correct one.

Now, obviously this isn't true, but I believe this is why so many believe their religion is the correct one. Now, when one begins to lose that faith, that is when they start to question everything (Hai Guys!)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »
"Believing" one's religion is the correct one, and "knowing" it is are two different things.  But, yeah, I think what you are saying is definitely true of a lot of people.  However, that certainly doesn't apply to everyone.  I, for one, believe the religion I was raised in is an absolute lie, and I changed as a young adult.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 10:55:51 AM »
You don't know, it's a gamble imo, like a watermelon.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
I, for one, believe the religion I was raised in is an absolute lie, and I changed as a young adult.

You went from Christian to ... different Christian, right?

rumborak

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
I, for one, believe the religion I was raised in is an absolute lie, and I changed as a young adult.

You went from Christian to ... different Christian, right?

rumborak

inb4 "Catholics aren't Christians"
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 12:08:54 PM »
I think a simple answer would be...

One "knows" their religion is correct because they were brought up and taught that their religion was the correct one and they grew up around the faith and still have the faith. They don't need to explore other religions because they have the faith that their religion is the correct one.

Now, obviously this isn't true, but I believe this is why so many believe their religion is the correct one. Now, when one begins to lose that faith, that is when they start to question everything (Hai Guys!)

sadly this is true in many cases...but not so for me.  I went through a long period where I doubted the decision I made to follow Christianity and researched non-theism as well as other religions and still continue to listen/consider those things that are opposed to my convictions.  am I completely unbiased?  doubt it.  am I convicted despite hearing the case for other religions with an open mind?  absolutely!

Offline j

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »

This scenario is just as common as the opposite, in my experience.  Whether you retain the religion you're brought up in or rebel against it seems to be the product of a lot of different things, not just "I realized Religion A was wrong, but now I adhere to Religion B, which is right".  In other words, it seems unlikely for any number of people to leave the religion they were brought up in, harbor no ill will towards it so as not to muddle their ability to see things clearly, and through rigorous and completely level-headed study with a completely open mind, arrive at the "correct" conclusion.  There are just too many external and internal factors and biases at play.

-J

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »

This scenario is just as common as the opposite, in my experience.  Whether you retain the religion you're brought up in or rebel against it seems to be the product of a lot of different things, not just "I realized Religion A was wrong, but now I adhere to Religion B, which is right".  In other words, it seems unlikely for any number of people to leave the religion they were brought up in, harbor no ill will towards it so as not to muddle their ability to see things clearly, and through rigorous and completely level-headed study with a completely open mind, arrive at the "correct" conclusion.  There are just too many external and internal factors and biases at play.

-J
\

I tend to agree, but I've read enough of Bosk's posts here to believe him in his case.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
Well, I'm not holding my situation up as the model or anything.  Just saying that's what it was for me.  I say that only to point out that a lot of people don't just blindly follow whatever they were brought up in and assume it is true.  Many do.  But others don't, and the reasosn why they don't vary trememdously, which is what I think J was also saying unless I misunderstood.

Offline j

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »
Nope, you got it. :tup

-J

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
great thread, many good points and views!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »

would you say they were..... epic?  :millahhhh

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 09:08:19 AM »
Well, I'm not holding my situation up as the model or anything.  Just saying that's what it was for me.  I say that only to point out that a lot of people don't just blindly follow whatever they were brought up in and assume it is true.  Many do.  But others don't, and the reasosn why they don't vary trememdously, which is what I think J was also saying unless I misunderstood.

Yea but you moved from one sect of Christianity to another, so assuming you were brought up nothing, or another religion that is entirely different, I would have a hard time imaginging you becoming a non-Catholic Christian.

Going from Catholicism to Protestant isn't really all that big of a change, the views are all similar it's just the reasonings and such that change (and I will admit they do change pretty drastically)
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 09:16:26 AM »

would you say they were..... epic?  :millahhhh

some ..yes...EPIC!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline j

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »
Going from Catholicism to Protestant isn't really all that big of a change, the views are all similar it's just the reasonings and such that change (and I will admit they do change pretty drastically)

I agree, although I'd say that even the "reasonings" don't change much at all.  It's some of the conclusions that are different, and the points of emphasis.  But from within, it's perceived as a huge change, even if it really isn't much of one.

-J

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 11:30:37 AM »
I dunno. It's also not an unprecedented switch either, with historical figures (most notably Luther) having done so before.
I don't want to belittle your internal struggle during the switch, bosk, but it just doesn't strike as an example of "switching to a different religion".

rumborak

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 12:26:08 PM »
Just a note that Luther didn't switch by choice, he was excommunicated.  He was fighting to fix the Church.  Not surprisingly, they didn't want it and had to be faced with an ongoing revolution before enough elements were strong enough to push needed changes in.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 12:56:13 PM »
Just a note that Luther didn't switch by choice, he was excommunicated.  He was fighting to fix the Church.  Not surprisingly, they didn't want it and had to be faced with an ongoing revolution before enough elements were strong enough to push needed changes in.
This.  He also didn't want the new movement to be called Lutherans - he preferred Evangelicals.

He probably wouldn't like that now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 01:50:22 PM »
Their can be only one absolute truth. People can believe whatever they want, but the truth won't change because you don't believe it to be so. Their are many who have it wrong but only one faction who has it right. That's just the way it is.
Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Atheist, etc...
Someone has it right.
Is my belief the truth? I sure think it is. It will suck if I'm one of the people who fell for a lie.
Also, I eat Hamburgers so...
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 01:52:30 PM »
Their can be only one absolute truth. People can believe whatever they want, but the truth won't change because you don't believe it to be so. Their are many who have it wrong but only one faction who has it right. That's just the way it is.
Someone has it right.
Is my belief the truth? I sure think it is. It will suck if I'm one of the people who fell for a lie.

No, the fact is that no one could have it right.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 01:56:14 PM »
Someone has it right.

Really? Explain to me why?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »
Someone has it right.

Really?  You want to explain how it could be possible that no religion has it right?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 02:00:37 PM »
Someone has it right.

Really?  You want to explain how it could be possible that no religion has it right?
I listed Atheist. Wouldn't they have it right, if no religion does? Someone has to have it right if their is a God(to a certain extent). If not, the Godless were right all along. Am I right?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
What if the true god is a jelly bean monster? There are infinite possibilities as far as possible religious beliefs. The existing ones are tiny in number.

It's like saying, either hot dogs, nachos, grapes or slurpees are the best food/drink. Clearly there are LOTS of other options.
fanticide.bandcamp.com