Author Topic: Worst gig you've ever been to?  (Read 19952 times)

Offline Grizz

Re: Worst gig you've ever been to?
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2014, 02:23:39 PM »
DT at the Palladium. DT was fine, but it had to be 100 degrees on the balcony. It was almost impossible to enjoy the show being drenched in sweat just sitting there. I debated leaving.

Oh god, yes. That was awful. I thought I was gonna pass out.
And yet it was still the best gig I had been to. Holy hell though, and the camera Nazis pissed me off. And see my other comments regarding that show in this thread.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2014, 03:34:11 PM »
I remember that I was there with the drummer of my band, and he was like "Here they come, the blast beats! Aaand .... <5 seconds silence by him> Whaaat?" :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »
Malmsteen is just... he's just a fucked up bitch.

Nailed it.  :lol

Just gonna place this here, good for Yngwie lulz.

https://www.break.com/video/ugc/yngwie-malmsteen-threatens-to-kill-airline-passeng-331977
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:56:56 PM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »
Malmsteen is just... he's just a fucked up bitch.
Regarding that, Adam02's videos have disappeared again.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2014, 07:53:40 PM »
Yankees.  :lol

I caught Maiden/Dio at a shed on the hottest day in Dallas history. Still, damp air under the shed and they didn't even think to have firehoses to spray us down. Spent the entire show hanging onto the barricade and drinking Jack from a hip-flask. Good times. That was a Blayze show. Saw Maiden a couple of years later during the Ed Hunter tour at an indoor venue that didn't have the AC on. One of the best Maiden shows I've been to. If it's a good show I don't pay attention to the heat. Oddly, never been to a show that was cold enough for me.

Seen Yngwie six or seven times, including several of the tours y'all refer to. The only problem I ever really have is that stupid fucking screeching delay part every damn show. However, the last time I saw him about 8 years ago he'd clearly moved beyond being in a band and playing songs into just wanking all night. I didn't even bother last time he was in town (and playing 3 minutes from my place) as he didn't even bother bringing a singer with him. I guess at this point the people who will pay to see him don't care about anything but shredding, which is a shame. He's written some pretty cool music over the years.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Grizz

« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2014, 09:11:47 PM »
See the thing about the heat in the Palladium is that it was GA, so you couldn't give up your spot for a drink very easily, and it was full of moshing, foul-smelling teenagers. In the July heat, it was packed to the brim, and it featured old-fashioned (non-LED) stage lights.

This show represents Carpe Diem for me. I loved that show and am incredibly nostalgic. However I do not remember it with great detail, partially because I didn't know most of the songs. Now MP's gone and there's very little video of this particular show, so I've developed an obsession over it.

Yeah, I should probably see a psychologist to figure out why I'm REALLY obsessing over a two-hour concert I attended when I was twelve.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »
I'll go with A Perfect Circle in Philly on the 13th Step tour. The band and sound were great, but Maynard was being such a Tool (pun intended) with his between-song speeches and was constantly flat. That, and the band didn't even bother with an encore.

No encore?

I was just thinking recently...has any big name band ever finished a set without doing an encore?

This answers my question. None that I've personally seen.

What a dick move!
Dark Tranquillity didn't play an encore when I saw them live last year - their vocalist said something to the effect of "encores are pointless, we'll just play these songs without walking out between them". I've also heard In Flames and Nightwish don't do encores.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2014, 10:27:11 AM »
I can kinda see that point.  If an encore is expected, which nowadays it basically is, then there's this thing you go through where they say Thanks and Goodnight and leave, the crowd screams for a while, then they come back out and play some more.  Sometimes they act all surprised, or say something about how this crowd is the best they've ever had (which they say every night anyway), but unless there are extenuating circumstances, this pretty much always happens.  It seems rather pointless.

The only reason I can think of to do it is to maybe give the band a little break so they can catch their breath, drink some water, and come back out and really nail the last song(s) and finish on a high note.  Actually, I just thought of that, and that's not a bad reason, I guess.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #148 on: September 30, 2014, 02:39:25 PM »
On the topic of encores, System of a Down didn't do an encore and it was still the strongest gig I've been to.

Also I've seen an evening with 5 encores once. Two hours main show, one hour fifteen encores. It was glorious.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #149 on: September 30, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »
Yankees.  :lol

Seen Yngwie six or seven times, including several of the tours y'all refer to. The only problem I ever really have is that stupid fucking screeching delay part every damn show. However, the last time I saw him about 8 years ago he'd clearly moved beyond being in a band and playing songs into just wanking all night. I didn't even bother last time he was in town (and playing 3 minutes from my place) as he didn't even bother bringing a singer with him. I guess at this point the people who will pay to see him don't care about anything but shredding, which is a shame. He's written some pretty cool music over the years.

I saw him last year, and he had the keyboard player doing vocals. It was hilarious, though. He was on the far left of the stage along with the rest of the band. Yngwie and his gear took up 70% of the stage. I met him after the show, too. He was cool to me personally, but a dick to others. He refused to sign any guitar that wasn't a Fender.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »
Steve Vai at The Palace in Melbourne 2004.
The venue was packed, what seemed to be above capacity, the smoke machine on stage seemed to cover the whole audience in a fog.
I was up the front, so we may have suffered more, so apart from ringing ears, I had a headache and badly needed water....but as so many people would find at standing room only concerts is if you want the front, you can't move from your spot, unless you are prepared to lose it.
Steve Vai was great as usual, but I was so glad I was going to Sydney for the next concert.  :smiley: