Author Topic: Obama: Israel must halt all settlement activity  (Read 28536 times)

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
Obama: Israel must halt all settlement activity
« on: May 29, 2009, 01:18:10 AM »
https://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/05/28/obama_again_calls_for_halt_to.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Settlements are the biggest obstacle in the conflict and Obama seems to at least understand this. The next step is to stop funding the Israeli military.

wtf is the internet?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Obama: Israel must halt all settlement activity
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 01:31:23 AM »
What I can't tell is if the settlements they're talking about are civilian or military.

The Israeli military is never, ever backing down until their neighbors get their shit together and stop wanting to kill them.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:53:29 AM »
 They are civilian settlements that are the issue. The settlements have been growing since the 60s. From what I understand most of these settlers are orthodox hardcore Jews who believe Palestinian land should belong to Israel (correct me if I'm wrong, and I'd like to hear the Jewish perspective.)

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:48:10 AM »
I agree. The settlements need to go. All of them.

However, whether or not jerusalem is a settlement is a different issue.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:55:33 AM »
Problem from what I understand is that those settlers are essentially committing something illegal according to Israeli law, but then it's politically difficult for the Israeli government to kick out its own citizens.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 09:32:36 AM »
The settlements are completely illegal. I've met people who have lived in them, they weren't anti arab or anti palestinian, they wanted peace and so forth. But to them, it was just their home and didn't agree that they should have to leave.

Of course they all need to be relocated. Send em to new york or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Disappear

• It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 10:15:50 AM »
Is this the first time USA has stood up to Israel's counterproductive (and self-defeating) settler program? Anything that will appease the Palestinians is fine by me.
"Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:25:15 AM »
Now, now. Next president that does something that's really counterproductive to Israel will receive a shot in the head.

Online Adami

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 11:39:12 AM »
Now, now. Next president that does something that's really counterproductive to Israel will receive a shot in the head.

Doesn't usually work that way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 11:40:17 AM »
Doesn't usually work that way.
Oh. OK.

Online Adami

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 11:58:32 AM »
I totally respect Obama for standing up to Israel finally. It's about time america stopped letting them get away with everything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Disappear

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »
I know, right

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 05:21:02 PM »
They are civilian settlements that are the issue. The settlements have been growing since the 60s. From what I understand most of these settlers are orthodox hardcore Jews who believe Palestinian land should belong to Israel (correct me if I'm wrong, and I'd like to hear the Jewish perspective.)
Then what's that got to do with funding the military?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 09:20:33 AM »
I totally respect Obama for standing up to Israel finally. It's about time america stopped letting them get away with everything.

Fully agree. With the big brother in the back Israel has definitely done quite a few irresponsible moves.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jobe

• Market Connoisseur
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 01:39:06 AM »

If Uncle Sam buys weapons for Israel and Israel uses them to kill brown people, don'tcha think they'll be pissed off at US too?
<br />While I agree in general, there are a couple of big differences.  Targeted marketing is a far cry from the suspension of Habeas Corpus.   Private companies don\'t generally toss people into unmarked Gulfstreams and send them off to Jackfuckistan to be \"questioned.\" 

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 05:51:03 AM »

If Uncle Sam buys weapons for Israel and Israel uses them to kill brown people, don'tcha think they'll be pissed off at US too?
What are "brown people" and what have they got to do with Israel or Israel's defence or anything at all?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 05:59:00 AM »
Basically he's blaming Israel for carrying out a supposedly racist military program and blaming the US for funding it.  This is all I'm gonna say.  Don't any of you dare to get me into this, y'hear?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
Basically he's blaming Israel for carrying out a supposedly racist military program and blaming the US for funding it.  This is all I'm gonna say.  Don't any of you dare to get me into this, y'hear?
Jobe is right.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 05:50:50 PM »

Nothing directly. They just always came hand in hand. The U.S. is finally getting in line with what the rest of the world has always been saying. If Israel is able to distance itself from the U.S. and establish better relations with the EU and its neighbors, it would get much more respect from the world.

wtf is the internet?

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 05:34:20 AM »
Jobe is right.
About what exactly?

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 05:36:50 AM »

Nothing directly. They just always came hand in hand. The U.S. is finally getting in line with what the rest of the world has always been saying. If Israel is able to distance itself from the U.S. and establish better relations with the EU and its neighbors, it would get much more respect from the world.
Better relations with its neightbours? They've tried to annihilate it in the past. Also, European states' record on arm's sales is no more respectful than anywhere else from what I know.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 05:41:53 AM »

Better relations with its neightbours? They've tried to annihilate it in the past. Also, European states' record on arm's sales is no more respectful than anywhere else from what I know.

And they still are.  Israel can't count on its own allies, even.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 08:00:33 AM »
Jobe is right.
About what exactly?
That: "If Uncle Sam buys weapons for Israel and Israel uses them to kill brown people, don'tcha think they'll be pissed off at US too?"

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »
"Brown people" includes Israel which once again shows how misleading it can be to label things with colours.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
Thank you.  For once I agree with AndyDT. :biggrin:

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 01:28:24 PM »
"Brown people" includes Israel which once again shows how misleading it can be to label things with colours.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You know what he meant.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 02:06:29 PM »
Better relations with its neightbours? They've tried to annihilate it in the past.

Well, true, and there is no arguing that that is wrong in and of itself.  But the problem is that they don't really have any right to be there in the first place.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Disappear

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 02:17:34 PM »
Says who?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 02:22:29 PM »
Says who?

A whole lot of Arabs who think the UN had no right to carve out a portion of their land and unilaterally declare it a separate Israeli nation, and who think Israel's subsequent expansion past those borders given to it by the UN violate international law.  I happen to agree with them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Disappear

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 02:42:30 PM »
So what would you do with them?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »
Give them Montana. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
Send them to Adami's house.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 02:50:31 PM »
I'm not saying I have a solution.  Just saying I can certainly understand the position of those who feel they shouldn't be there.  I agree.  They shouldn't be.  However, now that they are, and you have people who are established there and just trying to live out their lives, kicking them out is also problematic.  The UN never should have stuck its nose where it doesn't belong and has created a huge mess that, probably, nobody can sort out.  If a compromise cannot be worked out mutually between the groups involved (and history has shown us this is not a realistic possibility in the foreseeable future), there is little any outside force can do to make everybody happy.  It's a shame, really.  I feel for those who are caught up in the strife this has caused.

Online Adami

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 03:17:16 PM »
The british owned Palestine before israel reexisted. They decided way earlier than ww2 to make it an israeli/palestinian state.

The israelis have as much a right to be there as anyone else does where they are. They were given the land by the owners, and fought for independence. Just like a bunch of other countries.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 03:22:13 PM »
If you fight a fight on your own, like AMERICA (the continent) did. I'm cool with that. They wanted emancipation and by themselves they did it.

If you fight for independence with the UN covering your back, that's a complete different issue.