Author Topic: Trading Card Games  (Read 10596 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: Trading Card Games
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2012, 11:46:31 PM »
My red deck is probably worth about $4,000.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2012, 07:20:59 AM »
Had a sweet lightning deck based on self destruct attacks and attaching multiple defenders to pull off the attacks multiple times.  It was pretty awesome.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2012, 08:22:42 AM »

Do you have a black lotus in there?  :o  Do you have a decklist?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2012, 08:26:34 AM »

Do you have a black lotus in there?  :o  Do you have a decklist?

I haven't looked at the deck in two years or so. Yes, I have a black lotus and mox ruby. However, the condition on the cards are pretty shitty. So, 4,000 is probably a steep estimate.

https://www.starcitygames.com/magic/legacy/18969_Deck_Tech_Charbelcher.html

That's the basic idea of the deck, but I have some changes. It's all packed up so I can't get a full count of the cards.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2012, 10:16:29 AM »
While not a trading card game, do any of you play deck-building games like Dominion or Nightfall?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »
Yu-Gi-Oh! was the only one I actively played and loved! Had a killer deck too! Until they started banning every single card.

I used to love YGO too, until this happened.

*Opens up pack of Invasion of Chaos*
Holy hell a Black Luster Soldier: Envoy of the Beginning!  Now I can build a chaos deck easily, since every deck uses basically the same magic and trap cards and I have them!
*Opens up another pack of Invasion of Chaos a week later*
Holy crap a Black Chaos Magician!  Almost as good but better in other ways!
*Konami/Upper Deck bans BLS*
Aw that's a bummer.  Well I can still use Black Chaos-
*Black Chaos Magician banned later*
WELL FUCK THIS GAME
*Check back two years later out of curiosity to find Chaos Sorcerer (a vanilla 2300 power creature with the chaos drawback) banned as well*
o.O
Yeah, Black Luster Soldier was awesome! Also, Jinzo, loooooved that card! ONly 2000 attack points and like 14000 defense, but DAT EFFECT!

I also remember playing one of the GBA games with a friend and beating him 3 straight times by getting all the Exodia cards! :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »
Dark Paladin was my all time favorite card followed by Black Chaos Magician.  Silent Magician was also a fucking badass.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
I played YGO with my cousin for the first time in years. And it only just occurred to me how really stupid the tributing system is. Why would you tribute two monster with attacks of 1800 each (3600 combined) for one monster with 3000 attack? Doesn't make much sense. It seems like it'd just be better to fill your deck with 4-star monsters with 1800-1900 attack and equip a bunch of stuff to them.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »
Easy, the effects.  They were usually devastating or at the very least could easily change the tide.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2012, 09:20:26 PM »
Easy, the effects.  They were usually devastating or at the very least could easily change the tide.
Yep.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2012, 06:14:30 AM »
Either the monster would have a good enough effect or you weren't picking the best monsters to sacrifice.  By that I mean tributing monsters that were worth something (4-star 1900 atk creatures) as opposed to monsters like Sangan who had an effect and were useless afterwards.  Also, finding the lowest tribute cost possible for the best power was what made Summoned Skull so awesome when the game started out.  I'm sure there were more creatures like that afterwards. 

What was really stupid IMO were the ritual cards.  None of those monsters were useful except the White Dragon Knight (or whatever it was called) because it synergized so well with BEWD. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2012, 07:01:20 AM »
Yes, effects. But monsters without effects. Like the BEWD. Useless card?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »
Not always.  BEWD and Dark Magician are interesting phenomenons because they were pretty useless early on compared to faster threats like Summoned Skull and then outclassed completely by cards like BLS, but they got a whole slew of cards to support them.  BEWD got Burst Stream of Destruction, White Dragon Knight (don't actually remember what it was called), and a few others, while Dark Magician got Dark Magician Girl, and a bunch of cards that did stuff with a bunch of "Dark Magician" cards in play.  So it depends on the monster, I guess.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
I could see that.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »
Magic vs Yugioh?

My roommate's getting me into Magic. On the face of it, it seems that Magic is a more casual game and Yugioh is more complicated. There seems to be more monster combos and deck strategies in Yugioh.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »
I can't get into Magic just because it's a game that constantly forces you to buy new cards due to ever changing ban lists, and it just has an awkward pacing IMO.  My friends and I still play the Naruto Card Game, I enjoy it a lot.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »
After searching a bit on the interwebz, it looks like people don't like Yugioh because it's immachure n 4 babyz. The only legitimate reason I've seen is that top level decks ensure victory against weaker decks, but I don't see how that's a problem. I haven't seen any other reason though.

People seem to prefer Magic because it's 1) cheaper and 2) it's not associated with a kids' show.

Seem like pretty shallow reasons to me....as of now, it looks like Yugioh is the better game.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »
Don't want to buy cards all the time?  Play Dominion.  It's better than M:TG, and a lot more cost effective.  Also, no one can complain that they lost because the other person spent more money on their deck.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2013, 03:59:32 AM »
Bump:

I've been playing with friends for about 2 months occasionally, I decided to buy a deckbuilder kit. Gonna try out a Blue and Green deck, lets see how it goes.  We basically play for the fun, and I usually beat my friends But have bad luck in draws.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2013, 07:30:35 AM »
I have a holo charizard in mint condition if anybody wanted to buy it.