Author Topic: Trading Card Games  (Read 10597 times)

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Trading Card Games
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »
Discuss any/all trading card games you play/used to play.

When pokemon first came out, I (along with the world) spent most of my money on cards. However, I never actually battled; I always bought cards and resold them to kids in my neighborhood. I remember the look on my parents faces when I (12 years old) came home one day with over $100 :lol

In high school I started playing Yugioh, but stopped playing a little after high school. Admittedly, I've been getting back into it a little bit. Not as much as I was before, but enough to entertain me.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Trading Card Games
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:06:04 PM »
I played Magic and Pokemon.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:12:38 PM »
I collected Pokemon cards but never battled with them as well. ha  The Yu-gi-oh cards were awesome and I used to play with my friends for a while then i stopped.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:58:05 PM »
I used to play pokemon way back when, but as a joke my friends and I bought some pokemon cards last year and started playing again.  I actually was able to beat some tournament-tier decks with my Empoleon deck and the professor there (the guy who runs the weekend tournaments) suggested that I go to the regional champs in Asheville.  I declined.  Haven't really played much lately though.

Yu-Gi-Oh! was middle school for me.  This is how the experience went:
Me, 2002: Oh wow this is a cool show I'm going to buy the cards and play the game with my friends!
Me, 2004 or so: Oh wow, Invasion of Chaos!  Oh cool, a Black Luster Soldier, Envoy of the Beginning and a Dark Magician of Chaos!  I have two tournament-level cards now and the perfect skeleton for a deck!  Happy days are here again!
*much ass-kicking later*
Konami: BLACK LUSTER SOLDIER HAS BEEN BANNED BECAUSE WE SUCK AT DETERMINING HOW BAD CARDS WE DEVELOP WILL BREAK THE GAME BEFORE WE RELEASE THEM.
Me: Oh thats okay, I can still have fun with Dark Magician of Chaos.  Deck won't be as strong, but it'll still be fun.
Konami: DARK MAGICIAN OF CHAOS HAS BEEN BANNED BECAUSE ITS TOO POWERFUL TOO
Me:  :| *grows up a bit, stops playing*

Lord of the Rings card game was goddawful.

Magic: the Gathering was middle school for me as well.  Picked it up the same time as YGO.  Turns out I'm still playing Magic today.  Its awesome, and anyone that doesn't play should.  Starting to finally get the hang of limited (a pod of 8 gets three boosters each.  You pick a card from the booster, then pass the pack to someone else.  Repeat until you have 45 cards that you make a 40-card deck out of) so I've been winning that a bunch.  First big tournament was regionals in SC this year where I went 3-2, which isn't quite good enough and kinda disappointing considering the deck I was piloting (RW Defender Control) usually leaves Jund in ruins, but in the one Jund match, my deck decides to pull the "bad luck, you draw nothing useful" card, which sucks because I played against that guy ten times waiting for the tourney to start and won 7 of those games.  Also, multiplayer magic is one of the most fun TCG/gaming experiences ever, especially Elder Dragon Highlander.

TL;DNR: :blob:

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »
I fucking loved Pokemon

I really really want to get new cards, but I want them from the Base set which are no longer in production. I want to find that goddamned Charizard

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »
I used to play magic in high school

U/B control is fucking awesome to fuck people with

Counter everything, and if you can't counter it, kill the bitch

Haven't played in a long time though, and I'm sure whatever strategies I used before are probably obsolete now  :lol
I have thought about getting back in just to play online because I don't feel like shelling out the cash to be competitive

Also, whoever said that multiplayer magic is fun as hell... it is!  :metal

Some of the best card-playing moments were multiplayer games. Especially when you have like 5+ people and they have a crew of creatures and you pull out damnation  :biggrin:
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 04:51:26 PM »
Pokemon was an awesome game... I'd actually love to play it again if someone I knew played. I actually entered a tournmanet for it when I was about 10 or 11, and I won and got a 25 dollar gift certificate to Toys R Us.  ;D I had a sick lightning deck... I think I still have it around somewhere.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52:08 PM »
I still have the 'Ancient Mew' Pokemon card that's in Ancient Greek. Go me.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 10:02:51 PM »
Played Magic for a long time. My brother's still big on it, so he bought me a Magic Online account and a whole lot of cards to make all the decks I always wanted to but never had the money for. I still buy cards occasionally.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 10:12:18 PM »
I really really want to get new cards, but I want them from the Base set which are no longer in production. I want to find that goddamned Charizard
They actually reprinted the original Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard cards in the Stormfront set that came out last year, but they're super rare.  Like, a gajillion-to-zero odds of getting one (slight exaggeration).

Haven't played in a long time though, and I'm sure whatever strategies I used before are probably obsolete now  :lol
I have thought about getting back in just to play online because I don't feel like shelling out the cash to be competitive

Some of the best card-playing moments were multiplayer games. Especially when you have like 5+ people and they have a crew of creatures and you pull out damnation  :biggrin:
I love Damnation, only because I got three of those in boosters and I have yet to find a single Wrath of God.
Also, Blue is the color Satan would play if he played Magic.  In fact, the number one rule is that the blue player must die.  Even if I'm playing blue.  I wouldn't worry too much about strategies being really obsolete.  Aggro and Control will always be there in a basic form, while midrange, aggro/control, and combo just change with standard rotations.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 10:38:52 PM »
Every kid in my elementary school collected Pokemon cards. Not a single one of us actually played the game. We all just used them as bragging rights. Having a big binder of Pokemon cards was the equivalent at 10 years old of having a big dick. And whoever had the most holographics was King of the playground.

Dammit. I miss those days.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 10:41:28 PM »
Yu-Gi-Oh! was middle school for me.  This is how the experience went:
Me, 2002: Oh wow this is a cool show I'm going to buy the cards and play the game with my friends!
Me, 2004 or so: Oh wow, Invasion of Chaos!  Oh cool, a Black Luster Soldier, Envoy of the Beginning and a Dark Magician of Chaos!  I have two tournament-level cards now and the perfect skeleton for a deck!  Happy days are here again!
*much ass-kicking later*
Konami: BLACK LUSTER SOLDIER HAS BEEN BANNED BECAUSE WE SUCK AT DETERMINING HOW BAD CARDS WE DEVELOP WILL BREAK THE GAME BEFORE WE RELEASE THEM.
Me: Oh thats okay, I can still have fun with Dark Magician of Chaos.  Deck won't be as strong, but it'll still be fun.
Konami: DARK MAGICIAN OF CHAOS HAS BEEN BANNED BECAUSE ITS TOO POWERFUL TOO
Me:  :| *grows up a bit, stops playing*

This REALLY annoyed me as well. I hated how they banned some of the cards. The limitations on cards (only allowed to have 1 or 2 of a certain one) was fine, but banning a card completely was silly.

Anyways, thats why even though im trying to get a little back into it now, I only play with a few people that dont really care about the bans.

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 10:53:30 PM »
I'm fine with banning some cards.  I mean, Wizards of the Coast rarely bans cards from Standard, and there a few banned in the older formats, but they playtest all of their cards thoroughly, and haven't had to ban a card in standard (basically the last six sets + the core set) since 2004.  They haven't made such a mistake in standard since.  Magic R&D is constantly learning the best ways to control power levels and how to make sets integrate with each other so everyone can buy a booster pack and find SOMETHING to add to an old deck. 

Konami seems to have some sense of how powerful cards are going to be, hence the restricted list, but they never see how cards will break the game and make it unfun, meaning all those super-powerful rare cards are eventually going to get banned because they have no real concept of foresight. 

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 07:41:31 AM »
I still play Magic from time to time, but the new sets are getting ridiculous. I lost faith in Wizards since they reprinted Lightning Bolt.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 07:51:54 AM »
They actually reprinted the original Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard cards in the Stormfront set that came out last year, but they're super rare.  Like, a gajillion-to-zero odds of getting one (slight exaggeration).

I love Damnation, only because I got three of those in boosters and I have yet to find a single Wrath of God.
Also, Blue is the color Satan would play if he played Magic.  In fact, the number one rule is that the blue player must die.  Even if I'm playing blue.  I wouldn't worry too much about strategies being really obsolete.  Aggro and Control will always be there in a basic form, while midrange, aggro/control, and combo just change with standard rotations.
Any clue what Standard is like now?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 07:54:50 AM »
anybody want to send me pokemon cards?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »

Only if you battle with me.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 05:43:16 PM »
I fucking loved Pokemon

I used to have the holo Charizard, but traded it for several other high profile cards.  I wish I kept it though.  I have about 300-400 cards still in a binder in mint condition, never battled.  All are from Basic, Jungle, and Fossil.  I would have to say my rarest card is a 1st Edition Holo Moltres from Fossil.  I probably have about 15-20 holos total.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 05:45:45 PM »

Only if you battle with me.

Hey, if I could get up to Easton I totally would. Except I can't :P

I ordered some cards from the new(ish) HearGold/SoulSilver series online. 5 packs. Should be intense. I should have bought at least one starter deck though. For a Typhlosion :metal

Offline Volk9

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 08:10:20 PM »
I miss High School, where I had people to play with... :sadpanda:

Ah, the good ol' days...

:millahhhh

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »
I would have been beaten up if I had tried to play Pokemon in my high school :millahhhh

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Me and some kids played Pokemon on gameboy during class, but never the card games. People never made fun of us or anything,l most people found it funny because we would do it in some pretty crazy situations without the teacher noticing the giant link cable between the two gameboys.  :lol That year I leveled up my silver pokemon to 76ish... good stuff.

But I only played the card came when I was little, haven't played it in maybe 10 years.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 01:34:33 PM »
I miss High School, where I had people to play with... :sadpanda:

Ah, the good ol' days...

:millahhhh

-clears throat-   :yeahright   Did I not whoop your butt the other day?

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 04:06:28 PM »
I used to collect Pokemon cards (still got 'em in my room  :D) but no one actually knew how to play the game. We just traded and such.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »

Very aggro-based, thanks mostly to Alara block and now Zendikar block makes mana super-easy.  Rise and M11 have slowed things down a bit, but I think it'll stay very aggressive until Alara leaves when Scars of Mirrodin enters.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 11:43:36 PM »
I'm so stoked for Scars of Mirrodin. I basically got back into the game just for the Mirrodin block, cos I love blue artifact decks. The same may occur again.

This card here is, dare I say it, possibly my favourite card. Quietly powerful, especially in artifact decks, but even more important, it makes the game incredibly fun.

I made an insane deck using this and Atog. I discovered some months later that it was, by complete coincidence, basically a poor man's Ravager deck, almost card for card.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 11:57:44 PM »
I played Magic up through Urzas Saga and quit playing right before the release of 6th Edition. I still have all my cards (roughly 8000) as well as some of the rarest cards in the game.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 06:12:54 AM »

Very aggro-based, thanks mostly to Alara block and now Zendikar block makes mana super-easy.  Rise and M11 have slowed things down a bit, but I think it'll stay very aggressive until Alara leaves when Scars of Mirrodin enters.

I always fancied U/B control. Counter and Kill, basically. I take it that won't really work this time around then.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 07:00:31 AM »
Actually, control decks still thrive, its just the eternal quest to stop the early rush of creatures that may give you some difficulty.  There are still control decks running around, though UW seems to be the color combination of choice.  Baneslayer Angel, Sphinx of Jwar Isle, Jace the Mind Sculptor, and lots of counterspells and day of judgement.

@Fluffy: Fuck Mirrodin block.  When you're a thirteen year-old kid, and you're on a high from Onslaught, which gave you the coolest tribe ever (Zombies), and then you're thrust into a new set with absolutely NOTHING worth adding to it.  Now stretch that out over the whole block.  Then add the fact that Ravager Affinity fucked your shit sideways when you were just a boy.  Fuck that block.  Scars is probably the first upcoming release I actually have a slight feeling of dread for.  Why can't we just go back to Ravnica where everyone uses rainbows for money and marshmallows fall from the sky?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 07:30:37 AM »
Mirrodin was definitely a complete about turn.

I'm usually more interested in less typical tribes, so tribal's always a bit irksome for me. I tried forever to build a decent Bird deck. There are a few okay Bird cards, but it doesn't really translate to a powerful enough deck to face any other tribe. I have built a blazing red Elemental deck since the Lorwyn block though.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 10:37:17 PM »

I got a Charizard in my very first pack of the Base set when I was 7. I'm pretty sure I shit myself.

In addition to playing/collecting Pokemon cards, I was also into Digimon and Magic.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 07:57:24 PM »
Magic on-and-off since I was 9 or 10.
caw caw

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 07:58:50 PM »
K, so I had ordered some new Pokemon Cards from one of the new HG/SS sets. I bought five packs and of those 50 cards, only one was an Energy. Good lord. That doesn't help those who don't already have a sick collection of cards

EDIT: and BTW i was serious about people sending me cards. If you have no use for them I'll take them off your hands :metal

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 08:02:46 PM »
Lets talk about the color blue.
caw caw

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 04:32:43 PM »
Massive BUMP (hehe)!

I'm new to the Pokémon TCG here. I just bought my new deck, a Pearl & Diamond one.
My friends have some card protectors (is that the name of those things?) so the card won't get damaged (obviously).

Does it have a special name? I need to buy some but I don't know their name in English (I'm ashamed by this). HELP?

Also, if people want to dump their Pokémon TC, I surely want them!