Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 406352 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: James LaBrie Solo
« Reply #3010 on: April 13, 2022, 01:17:41 PM »
That was a beautiful song. The music was perfect for those lyrics. Gives me the same feelings as Marillions 'The Leavers, V: One Tonight' and the middle section in 'Measure of A Life' by Arch Echo.

I enjoy the uplifting tone of the music, the groove in the instrumental solo section, JLB's utilization of his high and warm vocals, how he harmonizes them both, and the message of how those in the high positions are able to decide the fate of the people as they give to and take from them. 

I am actually glad JLB released this as a single. It's one of those songs many other bands have as well, but are not released as singles and make me wish they were because they're that good and would be songs worth being known by many people.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3011 on: April 13, 2022, 06:23:57 PM »
I was lukewarm at best on the first single, thinking if that was representative of the whole album, I might have to pass on purchasing. I am enjoying this song much more.

So, the entire album is acoustic?  ???
No.

I thought it was.  ???
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3012 on: April 13, 2022, 06:34:21 PM »
I was lukewarm at best on the first single, thinking if that was representative of the whole album, I might have to pass on purchasing. I am enjoying this song much more.

So, the entire album is acoustic?  ???
No.

I thought it was.  ???

It is an acoustic driven album with the exception of Devil In Drag electric version.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: April 13, 2022, 07:16:20 PM »
That song was better than I expected it to be.  Not sure on a whole album though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3014 on: April 13, 2022, 07:24:58 PM »
That sounded great.  Hopefully the rest of the album will be as good as the two songs released.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3015 on: April 14, 2022, 01:13:15 AM »
That's great. Class.

I've not felt anything for his last couple of solo albums but this feels much more what I want to hear from James.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline majo

« Reply #3016 on: April 14, 2022, 01:34:32 AM »
meh... it's an OKish song. but there's no inspiration, no uniqueness and even the ac. guitar solos feel like used/heard 1000 times before. good thing James isn't pushing it (vocally) outside his present comfort zone.
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3017 on: April 17, 2022, 04:55:38 PM »
meh... it's an OKish song. but there's no inspiration, no uniqueness and even the ac. guitar solos feel like used/heard 1000 times before. good thing James isn't pushing it (vocally) outside his present comfort zone.

Compared to the last DT, it’s a breath of fresh air.  AVFTTOTH was everything you just said.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3018 on: April 17, 2022, 05:02:18 PM »

Compared to the last DT, it’s a breath of fresh air.  AVFTTOTH was everything you just said.

Wrong again.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3019 on: April 17, 2022, 10:20:41 PM »
Hey Rodrigo,

I saw your interview with James on Blabbermouth via Sonic Perspectives where he talks about meeting with MP at the DT show. I was really impressed with how James handled that. It was a very cool response from him. Did he actually self-censor and say frickin' all the time? Found that funny.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3020 on: April 18, 2022, 03:47:16 AM »

Wrong again.

Nah, he's kinda right.   ;D

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3021 on: April 18, 2022, 06:13:01 AM »
Hey Rodrigo,

I saw your interview with James on Blabbermouth via Sonic Perspectives where he talks about meeting with MP at the DT show. I was really impressed with how James handled that. It was a very cool response from him. Did he actually self-censor and say frickin' all the time? Found that funny.

The interview is on youtube and yes, he does say 'frickin'

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3022 on: April 18, 2022, 08:20:57 AM »
He did say frickin'. Canadians are polite, eh?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3023 on: April 18, 2022, 09:02:23 AM »

Wrong again.

Nah, he's kinda right.   ;D

Except Tim.  He's wrong.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3024 on: April 18, 2022, 09:15:27 AM »
In this thread we gang up on the Americans.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3025 on: April 18, 2022, 09:25:50 AM »
In this thread we gang up on the Americans.

No, we just gang up on people with (occasionally) questionable musical tastes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3026 on: April 18, 2022, 04:26:24 PM »
Hey Rodrigo,

The interview is on youtube and yes, he does say 'frickin'

Later on in the interview I did catch him saying fuckin once.  I think it slipped out.   :yarr
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3027 on: May 14, 2022, 10:52:26 AM »
James posted "Am I Right" teaser and it sounds so awesome. Full single release this monday.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3028 on: May 16, 2022, 08:07:01 AM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3029 on: May 16, 2022, 08:16:13 AM »
This is a pretty good song, this album is shaping to be JLB's best IMO

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3030 on: May 16, 2022, 09:45:36 AM »
I really liked this new song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3031 on: May 16, 2022, 11:03:55 AM »
I read somewhere on Facebook that the female vocals at the end of the song are from Theresa Thomason. Very cool if that's true!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online geeeemo

« Reply #3032 on: May 16, 2022, 11:33:36 AM »
This song is so beautiful! I get emotional every time I listen to it. His voice is the voice I have loved from the first moment I heard him sing. His writing is really good.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3033 on: May 16, 2022, 01:06:58 PM »
Wow, great song.  That does kind of sound like Teresa Thompson at the end - and it sounds amazing with her singing and James singing those high notes.  Was not expecting that. Good stuff..

Offline krands85

« Reply #3034 on: May 16, 2022, 03:35:26 PM »
I read somewhere on Facebook that the female vocals at the end of the song are from Theresa Thomason. Very cool if that's true!
DT's twitter confirmed that it is indeed Theresa

https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1526191824481681408
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3035 on: May 16, 2022, 04:10:14 PM »
DT's twitter confirmed that it is indeed Theresa

https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1526191824481681408

Nice! :tup Somehow I missed that on their post.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3036 on: May 16, 2022, 11:56:12 PM »
Right when I heard the acoustic in the intro I instantly thought of Fleetwood Mac, and then the drums came in and that made it sound even more like Fleetwood Mac.

I love it...Can't wait till the end of the week to hear the rest of the album.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3037 on: May 17, 2022, 05:25:53 AM »
Couldn't make it through that new song.  Not my thing at the moment.  The guitar sounds out of tune to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3038 on: May 17, 2022, 01:04:20 PM »
My least favorite of the songs so far. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #3039 on: May 17, 2022, 01:39:10 PM »
Couldn't make it through that new song.  Not my thing at the moment.  The guitar sounds out of tune to me.

Ditto.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3040 on: May 17, 2022, 04:05:52 PM »
Whisper overload. Whispering is a meme at this point.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3041 on: May 17, 2022, 08:47:31 PM »
As much as I liked this song, along with the others, I do not know if it's something I would listen to with any frequency.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3042 on: May 18, 2022, 03:24:43 AM »
I really like this new song a lot!  James is belting it out towards the end..  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kram

« Reply #3043 on: May 18, 2022, 11:22:47 AM »
As much as I liked this song, along with the others, I do not know if it's something I would listen to with any frequency.
I feel exactly the same.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3044 on: May 18, 2022, 11:35:00 AM »
I feel exactly the same.

True.  I haven't come back to any of them and I even enjoyed the first two singles.  It's better than I expected tbh but it's just not a style I usually listen to.  I may still get the album though.