Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 408630 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: James LaBrie Solo
« Reply #2975 on: March 18, 2022, 11:44:41 PM »
deleted (duplicate)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 12:16:34 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2976 on: March 18, 2022, 11:51:01 PM »
Really strong chorus and amazing solo as well. Gotta love Marco.

Yeah.........liking the chorus and instrumental parts but I barely got there.  The verses are pretty underwhelming IMO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: March 19, 2022, 12:06:40 AM »

Yeah.........liking the chorus and instrumental parts but I barely got there.  The verses are pretty underwhelming IMO.

Yep.  The verses made me cringe a bit truthfully.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2978 on: March 19, 2022, 06:05:24 AM »
So that’s cool, he finally learned the definition of conscience.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2979 on: March 19, 2022, 08:32:33 AM »
Verses are so-so, but I love the chorus. Always like it when James sings in that softer way.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2980 on: March 19, 2022, 10:15:33 AM »
Listened to this again. It was pretty pedestrian. Might want to hear more before I consider purchasing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2981 on: March 19, 2022, 11:01:38 AM »
I must be the only one not impressed with the song at all.

Definitely not the only one

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2982 on: March 19, 2022, 01:45:56 PM »
I suspect I'm in the minority as I rank the first Mullmuzzler (along with parts of the second) as the high water mark for James' solo work. I mean, I 'like' EOP and the two follow-ups, but they honestly do little for me and I rarely revisit them.

I wouldn't be so "harsh" against the latest three albuns, I dig them quite a lot, but yeah, I agree that the Mullmuzzler albums were something magical and unusual and I'd have welcomed more of that, rather than the more standard modern metal stuff of what came after.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2983 on: March 19, 2022, 01:55:30 PM »
For those missing Matt and the style of the previous 2 JLB albums, he did release a bunch of songs with pretty much the same band/style under his own name the last couple years :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2984 on: March 19, 2022, 02:47:45 PM »
Well, I enjoyed the new song more than anything on AVFTTOTW, except for that riff towards the end of the title track.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2985 on: March 19, 2022, 04:10:10 PM »
Ministro, there is no need to write Press Release at the start of your post. We get it. All of your posts are press releases.

If I don’t write Press release or quote the info you complain, but if I do it, you complain, don’t read my posts dude, press releases or not. Simple.

And no, I don’t work for IO, Mark. But I will apply for a position  :tup

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2986 on: March 19, 2022, 06:08:10 PM »
On the latest Dream Theater album there is almost no groove, flow or tempo in the vocals in my opinion, which was disappointing to me. These vocals sound so much better to me. Solid enough song too.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2987 on: March 19, 2022, 06:21:21 PM »
Really enjoyed the new song! The musical direction wasn't what I expected, it was a lot better :metal definitely not what I first thought of when they said "acoustic" album :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2988 on: March 19, 2022, 06:27:29 PM »
Really enjoyed the new song! The musical direction wasn't what I expected, it was a lot better :metal definitely not what I first thought of when they said "acoustic" album :lol

I've been listening to a lot of Kip Winger's solo work this week, and James' new track definitely reminds me of Kip's fleshed-out acoustic-centric approach, especially on his first two solo discs.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2989 on: March 20, 2022, 02:20:25 PM »
I finally listened to the song, I like the chorus but other than that, it's pretty boring and repetitive.

Offline adastra

« Reply #2990 on: March 21, 2022, 12:57:42 AM »
The song is pretty nice. I like the more softer touch.
Two thing that really stands up are the quality of the vocals and the vocal melodies.
AVFTTOTW had very boring vocals , but this is completely different story.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2991 on: March 21, 2022, 10:39:40 AM »
For those missing Matt and the style of the previous 2 JLB albums, he did release a bunch of songs with pretty much the same band/style under his own name the last couple years :tup

I don't know that I'd call it "a bunch".  I think there were only 4 songs so far.  All of which I like more than this new JLB song, unfortunately.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2992 on: March 21, 2022, 11:45:52 AM »

I don't know that I'd call it "a bunch".  I think there were only 4 songs so far.  All of which I like more than this new JLB song, unfortunately.

I just checked and there's 5 released so far, but he put out a teaser a couple years ago from others that aren't out yet. My guess is he has enough material for a full lenght album already, but hasn't been too active with that lately. The last one came out over a year ago already.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2993 on: March 21, 2022, 12:03:13 PM »

I just checked and there's 5 released so far, but he put out a teaser a couple years ago from others that aren't out yet. My guess is he has enough material for a full lenght album already, but hasn't been too active with that lately. The last one came out over a year ago already.

I follow him on facebook and he appears to be getting ready for something.  He's taken some Master's classes on songwriting, and bought a lot of equipment (guitars, recording equipment, etc.)  Some I'm hoping for some more musical output soon.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2994 on: March 23, 2022, 09:27:25 AM »

Yep.  The verses made me cringe a bit truthfully.

I'm with ya both.  Vocally he sounds better than the last DT album, but the melodies and lyrics were pretty unremarkable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2995 on: March 23, 2022, 09:27:59 AM »
Well, I enjoyed the new song more than anything on AVFTTOTW,

Quoted for truth.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2996 on: March 23, 2022, 01:02:14 PM »
Trivia time: Madeleine Albright, first woman to serve as secretary of state for the USA, passed away today.

Wit her her death, both characters mentioned in the most memorable line of the most memorable LaBrie solo song, Beelzebubba, are died. ("Arafat and Albright, America's a sad sight").

:lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2997 on: March 23, 2022, 04:23:18 PM »
I was just watching the little video clip he put out on Facebook where he and Paul Logue discuss the song, and Paul Logue phrasing it as "the acoustic hard rocker of the album" makes me wonder if it's the only song like this? Will the other songs be heavier? Softer?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2998 on: April 12, 2022, 09:01:10 AM »
New Single tomorrow.

Snippet: https://fb.watch/cljr1cwGxM/
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2999 on: April 12, 2022, 03:27:50 PM »
I'd love if Paul wrote an album like Trinity for James.  His backing vocals on that we're a highlight so an album like that would be most welcome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3000 on: April 13, 2022, 07:33:32 AM »
I enjoyed the new single. It made for pleasant listening this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cxWibWBi_o

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3001 on: April 13, 2022, 08:01:35 AM »
Yeah, it was good, although I liked the first one better.

Excited for the album to drop.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3002 on: April 13, 2022, 09:36:32 AM »

Same.  I think I will check out the album in full now, this ended up being better than I expected for an acoustic release.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3003 on: April 13, 2022, 10:39:40 AM »
That's not my thing at all.  I'll be continuing to listen to his last three solo albums over this, but kudos to him for doing something different.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3004 on: April 13, 2022, 10:52:59 AM »
So, the entire album is acoustic?  ???
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kram

« Reply #3005 on: April 13, 2022, 11:28:18 AM »
I like the new song.  Has a nice sound to it and James sounds great to my ears.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #3006 on: April 13, 2022, 11:51:54 AM »
Its a beautiful song, with beautiful music.  James sounds really good, and it gives me the feelies, which I like. In addition, I like how James
addresses political topics, without being divisive.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3007 on: April 13, 2022, 11:53:20 AM »
So, the entire album is acoustic?  ???
No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3008 on: April 13, 2022, 12:28:47 PM »
Its a beautiful song, with beautiful music.  James sounds really good, and it gives me the feelies, which I like. In addition, I like how James
addresses political topics, without being divisive.

He definitely has a gift for that :D

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3009 on: April 13, 2022, 01:11:46 PM »

This is exactly how I feel.