Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 406349 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2730 on: April 30, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »

I'm not holding my breath but it'd be awesome if they got Helloween to play there since they're already touring for Pumpkins United around that time (I'm seeing them September 10th, immediately after PP). Threshold too but it's probably way way too late for visas and all that anyway. Meh.

Actually, visas are given in most cases for a long period of time (1-2 yrs). Threshold is playing Canada and RosFest in May. If their visa is longer than a year, it could be plausible. Also, the next leg of the Threshold tour will consist of them playing the full album.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2731 on: April 30, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »
As someone who is already booked to attend PPUSA this September, I am really really pissed.  His band was one of the main reasons to go, especially as headliners.  This does not sit well with me, and honestly, makes me mad at Dream Theater too.  Since the excuse references DT's new album, I am annoyed that they may have forced their hand here (while JP and JR are out doing their own tours).  I know JLB had wanted to try to base a full tour around this date and maybe that fell apart as well.  JLB shares the blame too, if it was about practice and rehearsals, they should have worked a schedule to get that resolved and worked with DT management to make the scheduling work.  I feel bad for Glen at PPUSA.  He has bands cancel fairly often, usually for visa issues.  I'm not sure they've had a headliner cancel nor with it being from a real good excuse (IMO).  Given how far out PP is booked.  I can't see how they would do this to the fans.  Sadly, as someone who really wanted to see this, I'm not ever sure how PP can book a headliner type replacement.  I guess I'll be curious to see how they handle this.

The only way I see this being redeemed is if Glen can try and get IQ to headline. Or Fates Warning.

Edit: I read the Facebook comments and yup, quite a few people are really upset, at JLB and DT. This feels like a management issue to me. Someone really messed up big time. I wouldn't mind waiting longer for a new DT album
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:39:20 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2732 on: April 30, 2018, 01:07:35 PM »
IQ might be too proggy for that crowd.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2733 on: April 30, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
I've never heard "too proggy" applied to a prog festival before. I think IQ would be amazing...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2734 on: April 30, 2018, 01:14:11 PM »
How about The Sea Within...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2735 on: April 30, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
From everything I've seen, and from the large group of mutual friends I have that regularly attend ppusa, they definitely sway more to the power side of prog power. Also, I know one IQ member is deathly afraid of flying, and not sure of they'd be willing to make two trips over the pond in that short amount of time. That's one of the main reasons they don't play this continent much.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2736 on: April 30, 2018, 01:22:00 PM »
I know one IQ member is deathly afraid of flying...

Have the other guys in IQ tried to spike his milk with a sleeping pill?

On topic, I didn't even know this was a festival and I still find it pretty lame for James to pull out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2737 on: April 30, 2018, 01:28:30 PM »
I'm wondering if maybe it's a situation where it didn't make sense for the band to do PP unless they were going to tour around it, and DT's writing sessions are blocking a tour rather than just the festival specifically.

I bet this is it. Originally DT had planned to take almost the whole year off and not enter the studio until the fall/winter. I wish they would have done that and had time for a full proper tour with James and his band.  It sounds like that's what was planned but this new record deal screwed that up.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2738 on: April 30, 2018, 02:22:48 PM »
I'm wondering if maybe it's a situation where it didn't make sense for the band to do PP unless they were going to tour around it, and DT's writing sessions are blocking a tour rather than just the festival specifically.

That seems plausible.

Plausible, but that would be totally lame if it's the only reason.

I do feel like it is likely one of the reasons, but not the only one. It is getting really hard to tour in the U.S. as a headline club act. Let's face it...JLB would be lucky to draw 150 people to his shows. Most of these theoretical shows would operate at a loss, which is not something I think JLB wants to do. Sure, he'll get whatever money he and the band get from Prog Power, but there's no way to stay in the black on a JLB solo tour. If I remember right, the last time he toured the U.S., the shows barely had anyone attend. That's likely not going to improve now, considering his solo band has been on the shelf all these years from the road.

I feel really bad for those that booked ProgPower on the basis of seeing JLB's performance. That sucks. But there must be a big conflict with Dream Theater during that time frame for them not to work with James' schedule. Perhaps they are in talks to do shows around then as an "escape from the studio" tour, and it'll require James being there. Who knows.

Will PPUSA refund tickets due to cancellations, or are they final, regardless of what happens to the acts?

They don't refund tickets as a general rule, and it probably says something to that effect when you buy.  But people are often looking for tickets throughout the year, so someone who only wanted to go because of James might be able to sell theirs.

As for the reasoning - I agree with you that not having time to do a tour could have something to do with it, but I would think there has to be more to it than that.  At least I hope there is.  I hope he just literally would not have time for the band to rehearse or something, rather than cancelling a festival he's been committed to for a long time just because he can't do more than 1 show.  A lot of bands perform at ProgPower w/out touring. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2739 on: April 30, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »
From everything I've seen, and from the large group of mutual friends I have that regularly attend ppusa, they definitely sway more to the power side of prog power. Also, I know one IQ member is deathly afraid of flying, and not sure of they'd be willing to make two trips over the pond in that short amount of time. That's one of the main reasons they don't play this continent much.

I think the crowd is pretty evenly split on that.  If they go with a prog act, some of the power metal fans complain and if they go with a power metal act, some of the prog fans will - especially since it's a (somewhat) prog headliner cancelling.  However, it is very much a metal festival, so if there are too many progressive rock bands, some people will would definitely be disappointed.  But it usually works out in the end - they've had Spock's Beard, Enchant, and pre-ADHD Riverside.  And people complained on the forums (and everything - too prog, too power, not heavy enough, not prog or power, appeared too many times already - is reason for at least a couple people to complain), but each band had a good crowd and won people over. 

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2740 on: May 14, 2018, 02:40:58 PM »
James' most recent live shows...

From Brazil with local band (I guess ?!!) Noturnall.

Through Her Eyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuOazRckUFE
Jekyll or Hyde (From his solo album): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEiVEhjUneA
Pull Me Under: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RCAZc70dRE (No comment though)  :mehlin
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2741 on: May 14, 2018, 02:50:18 PM »
Yeah....Pull Me Under would work well in a strip club.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2742 on: May 15, 2018, 04:47:01 PM »
James' most recent live shows...

From Brazil with local band (I guess ?!!) Noturnall.

Through Her Eyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuOazRckUFE
Jekyll or Hyde (From his solo album): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEiVEhjUneA
Pull Me Under: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RCAZc70dRE (No comment though)  :mehlin

The amount of people on stage in Pull Me Under hahahaha. Didn't sound that bad though. James sounded pretty decent there, and sounded pretty good on the other two songs. The band did them all well, which I'm glad for. I got reminded of that show James was at where the band butchered his own song (I think it was I Got You) and then did an okay Pull Me Under. It was some show featuring lots of classic metal singers.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2743 on: May 15, 2018, 05:32:19 PM »
Eh, he sounds a smidge better than he did on the I&W tour. Holy hell the dancing girls are a brilliant touch though :rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2744 on: May 15, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
Hard tell for sure, but there are a few times where James turns around and one of them is right in front of him in some unnatural pose, and he almost loses it.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2745 on: May 15, 2018, 09:10:45 PM »
Out of curiosity, Noturnall is indeed a brazilian band with very good musicians and IMO their last CD, 9, is a very good one (all of it is in the YouTube channel of the band). By the way, Aquilles Priester (DT drummer audition) was the drummer of the band and recorded it.
But the pole dancers thing is really bizarre! (believe or not they already did this recently on Rock in Rio  :facepalm:)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2746 on: May 16, 2018, 07:47:00 AM »
That video is great.  Although the venue looks small and not packed, why is JLB even doing such a show?  Is he friends of the band or was this apart of something else?

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2747 on: May 16, 2018, 08:52:19 AM »
I guess Noturnall hired JLB for this mini tour in Brazil. One of these shows was recorded for a DVD release, so I guess the presence of JLB is interesting for Noturnall to help to promote their DVD.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2748 on: May 16, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »
I think the president of the JLB fan club is Brazilian, they’ve been posting a lot of pics with James during the tour. My guess is that this was his idea.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2749 on: May 16, 2018, 12:31:53 PM »
I think he's just being a good sport.  ;)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2750 on: December 23, 2018, 02:00:04 AM »
This is brand new song called HEY! by Noturnall featuring James LaBrie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB6-d13iISc
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2751 on: December 23, 2018, 02:56:41 AM »
Now if on the next DT tour James won't have an entrance like that, I will be severly disappointed.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2752 on: December 23, 2018, 03:04:11 AM »
Someone's been taking notes from Kevin Barnes of of Montreal.  :lol

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2753 on: December 23, 2018, 12:25:08 PM »
I don’t know what to think about his entrance ::) :rollin
But his performance was powerful, no doubt! :metal

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2754 on: December 23, 2018, 01:36:37 PM »
Now if on the next DT tour James won't have an entrance like that, I will be severly disappointed.

Yeah, at least those Girls are must!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2755 on: December 23, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »

:metal  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2756 on: December 24, 2018, 10:14:08 PM »
Looked like HHH coming out for a match at Wrestlemania.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2757 on: December 26, 2018, 09:23:34 AM »

Just watched it out of curiosity, wow. :rollin
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2758 on: January 01, 2019, 05:47:10 PM »
Haha, I love how the "real" singer just strolls on stage and actually starts the vocal part.  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2759 on: January 02, 2019, 08:05:24 AM »
Haha, I love how the "real" singer just strolls on stage and actually starts the vocal part.  :)

:lol was thinking the same thing

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2760 on: January 02, 2019, 08:47:53 AM »
Me too - it was a cool entrance but they should have done it right before he was going to sing.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2761 on: February 12, 2019, 05:54:38 AM »
I just find a true gem from EoP solo tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er9PLANZzSI
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2762 on: February 12, 2019, 06:18:03 AM »
Thanks very much! I was looking for this bootleg for years!
Did you know if we can download it anywhere?

Offline Art

« Reply #2763 on: February 12, 2019, 06:27:44 AM »
I just find a true gem from EoP solo tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er9PLANZzSI

So cool! I love EOP!  :metal

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2764 on: February 15, 2019, 01:43:27 PM »
Awesome! Thank you!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?