Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 406392 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2695 on: November 17, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »
New video for Matt's single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFrvZdMjVW8

It's kind of hard to see the point of this.  Put in on IR and replace Matt's voice with James and no one would know.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2696 on: November 17, 2017, 03:44:27 PM »

It's kind of hard to see the point of this.  Put in on IR and replace Matt's voice with James and no one would know.

Maybe the point is to keep making music and not basing it on JLB's availability? 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2697 on: November 17, 2017, 05:10:57 PM »

Maybe the point is to keep making music and not basing it on JLB's availability?

Yeah, I know, but it being identical to what Matt has been doing with JLB seems a bit strange.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2698 on: November 17, 2017, 05:19:01 PM »
Why?  He made music many of us liked with JLB.  If he wants to keep making that music, maybe he realized it's best to just start his own band and do it.  Maybe break the ties between his music and the name of the singer of DT.  I don't know, just guessing.  If he has a writing style that people like, he should continue to do it regardless of which band he is in.  Myself, judging from one song, I'd rather JLB singing, but there's definitely potential with this band.  I really like the screams, always thought that guy was good with Amaranthe, but I also liked Peter's screams too. Sure it seems redundant, but it's not like JLB's band was a full time thing or even a touring on the side type of thing either.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2699 on: November 17, 2017, 05:22:52 PM »
Can't fault Matt for wanting to get a little more credit and exposure.  I feel this is getting almost a little too pop/nu-metalish.  I'd like to see them get more in the EoP vein.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2700 on: November 17, 2017, 05:28:54 PM »
I think Matt's planning on keeping his solo stuff more poppy than JLB material.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2701 on: November 18, 2017, 05:46:56 PM »

I dig it, it's like a softer version of JLB's material, a la "Euphoric" or "Unraveling". Weird that they hired the guy from Amaranthe to do the Harsh vocals when you already have Peter Wildoer there, but I don't dislike it at all.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2702 on: November 18, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
Peter wasn't involved with the recording... Someone else played drums on the album. That might have something to do with it.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2703 on: November 18, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »
Oh shit, sorry. I didn't know :-X

EDIT: And you had posted that already and I hadn't read :rollin

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2704 on: November 18, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »
It was alright. Pretty "straight from the factory" if that makes sense.

If anything, I hope this means they'll go in a different direction for JLB's next album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2705 on: November 18, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »

Just the opening notes sounds like it could be on EoP, I like it

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2706 on: November 18, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »
Really dig this new song!  Can't wait for hopefully an entire album.  Has there been any official news on a full album?  I think Matt's a great songwriter.  Was surprised at how much I liked this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2707 on: November 19, 2017, 03:20:10 AM »

The Frontiers factory would be happy to claim this song as their own.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2708 on: November 19, 2017, 09:31:52 PM »
^^ Funny thing about that.  The first thing I see under the suggestions of the Matt Guillory's Inside song is "The Dark Element - "The Ghost And The Reaper"" video from Frontier Music srl.  Should I watch that?

As for Inside, I like it!!!  Chorus sounds like something I would enjoy a lot.  If he wants to do something while JLB is doing DT stuff, and it happens to sound something similar to JLB solo, I say let him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2709 on: November 20, 2017, 03:59:49 AM »
^^ Funny thing about that.  The first thing I see under the suggestions of the Matt Guillory's Inside song is "The Dark Element - "The Ghost And The Reaper"" video from Frontier Music srl.  Should I watch that?

As for Inside, I like it!!!  Chorus sounds like something I would enjoy a lot.  If he wants to do something while JLB is doing DT stuff, and it happens to sound something similar to JLB solo, I say let him.

Nah.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2710 on: November 20, 2017, 08:06:31 AM »
The Dark Elements is great but it's more poppy than metal. If say more so than Matt's band.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2711 on: November 20, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »

Not with those growlies they wouldn’t 😀

Was there a solo? I missed it if 5here was...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2712 on: November 20, 2017, 02:19:42 PM »

Not with those growlies they wouldn’t 😀

Was there a solo? I missed it if 5here was...

haha, good point.

Nah, there wasn't a solo.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2713 on: November 20, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »
That new song was awesome. Keep bring the metal Matt!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2714 on: November 21, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »
Yeah, I really like it and Matt has a great voice too.  His "Lost in the Fire" demo was awesome!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2715 on: April 30, 2018, 08:22:44 AM »
James LaBrie cancels ProgPower USA performance

Message from LaBrie's management:

As many of you are no doubt aware, James LaBrie of Dream Theater has been scheduled to perform at this year’s ProgPower Festival among many other incredible artists. While James and his band had been looking forward to this live appearance and performances of James’ solo material for many, many months, circumstances have forced the band to have to pull out of this year’s festival. The entire band regretfully makes this decision to officially cancel the appearance after several weeks of making every effort to try and maintain the scheduling as anticipated. Unfortunately in this case, James LaBrie’s responsibilities to Dream Theater and his bandmates are of the utmost importance, and this will be a critical period of writing in studio for the next Dream Theater record. James wishes to thank all of his fans who were looking forward to this appearance and supported this upcoming live solo band performance at ProgPower. The entire James LaBrie band is deeply apologetic to all those eagerly anticipating the show, and the band looks forward to making this historic live appearance happen in the future.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ProgPowerUSA/videos/10156298267502943/

Not trying to be skeptical here, but, is it THAT necessary to have James 24/7 in the studio with DT? I mean, it's not like he's a main writer on anything like that. Couldn't he just play the concert and then return to the studio for the writing in the following days?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2716 on: April 30, 2018, 08:27:35 AM »
Well, it's not just playing the concert, they have to rehearse, decide the setlist (I assume he would have more than a hand in deciding on which songs to play), work around the permits if needed (is Marco Sfogli still around?) and so on... playing a concert is a bit more complicated than "Ok guys, I'll take the weekend off to sing 90 minutes at a festival, see you on Monday".

Still, I assumed the timeframe for the work on the new DT album was planned well in advance and that's precisely the reason why James did this... maybe the switch to Inside Out changed things...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2717 on: April 30, 2018, 08:29:16 AM »
I think it's a dick move on James/mgmt part - considering he's been promoted for 8 months as the head-fucking-liner, but it is a bit more than just showing up Saturday night at PPUSA - rehearsals and shit.  Not knowing the background, I gotta think it's a dick move by Petrucci and the band/label to not be flexible with whatever the writing/studio plans are for the time leading up to PPUSA.

James/mgmt could've been more forceful "sorry, I've committed to PPUSA".  What are Petrucci/Inside Out gonna do?  Fire him?

I hope PPUSA had a solid cancellation clause.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2718 on: April 30, 2018, 08:39:40 AM »
I think it's a dick move on James/mgmt part - considering he's been promoted for 8 months as the head-fucking-liner, but it is a bit more than just showing up Saturday night at PPUSA - rehearsals and shit.  Not knowing the background, I gotta think it's a dick move by Petrucci and the band/label to not be flexible with whatever the writing/studio plans are for the time leading up to PPUSA.

James/mgmt could've been more forceful "sorry, I've committed to PPUSA".  What are Petrucci/Inside Out gonna do?  Fire him?

I hope PPUSA had a solid cancellation clause.

followed by a multi-part reality show documentary in which 7 singers of various metal subgenres try to become the new voice of DT (but it's very obvious at the beginning that Tommy Karevik is who they want, and then Kamelot's albums get delayed because of his work with DT)

I am full of salt today.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2719 on: April 30, 2018, 08:45:07 AM »
Oh, it’s definitely much more than that, but I still don’t get it. It’s not like he’s taking 6 months off to tour with his solo band, it’s probably just going to take him a week or two. If he’s been billed as the headliner for months and then, suddenly, has to cancel because (as it seems) DT can’t let PP borrow him for a few days, the fans are going to be really pissed, as they all know James isn’t really the biggest creative force in DT, so it wouldn’t hurt to not have him around for a week or two.

Doesn’t JP have a guitar camp coming around the same time they’re supposed to be in the studio? Is he going to cancel that as well?

Not trying to get all whiney, btw, I’m actually glad DT14 is their main priority now, but I just don’t think the explanation they gave is the best, and this really hurts James’ solo band image, as this isn’t the first time they’ve cancelled a show/tour.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2720 on: April 30, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »
Oh, it’s definitely much more than that, but I still don’t get it. It’s not like he’s taking 6 months off to tour with his solo band, it’s probably just going to take him a week or two. If he’s been billed as the headliner for months and then, suddenly, has to cancel because (as it seems) DT can’t let PP borrow him for a few days, the fans are going to be really pissed, as they all know James isn’t really the biggest creative force in DT, so it wouldn’t hurt to not have him around for a week or two.

Doesn’t JP have a guitar camp coming around the same time they’re supposed to be in the studio? Is he going to cancel that as well?

Not trying to get all whiney, btw, I’m actually glad DT14 is their main priority now, but I just don’t think the explanation they gave is the best, and this really hurts James’ solo band image, as this isn’t the first time they’ve cancelled a show/tour.

Exactly.  It just seems like a very weak explanation.  People will eventually get over it, but why not try to help them understand a little better?  It would go a long way for his solo band and the festival too.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2721 on: April 30, 2018, 08:52:37 AM »
Well, it's not just playing the concert, they have to rehearse, decide the setlist (I assume he would have more than a hand in deciding on which songs to play), work around the permits if needed (is Marco Sfogli still around?) and so on... playing a concert is a bit more complicated than "Ok guys, I'll take the weekend off to sing 90 minutes at a festival, see you on Monday".

Still, I assumed the timeframe for the work on the new DT album was planned well in advance and that's precisely the reason why James did this... maybe the switch to Inside Out changed things...
Well, he did the Theater Equation production with Ayreon while TA was still in the works, and that must've taken plenty of preparation too.

On a more positive note, Jekyll or Hyde got its live premiere in South America recently, and it's not a trainwreck like I Got You from Metal All Stars :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEiVEhjUneA According to setlist.fm, he also performed Destined to Burn and a bunch of DT songs with Noturnall on that tour.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2722 on: April 30, 2018, 09:01:23 AM »
I'm wondering if maybe it's a situation where it didn't make sense for the band to do PP unless they were going to tour around it, and DT's writing sessions are blocking a tour rather than just the festival specifically.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2723 on: April 30, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »
As someone who is already booked to attend PPUSA this September, I am really really pissed.  His band was one of the main reasons to go, especially as headliners.  This does not sit well with me, and honestly, makes me mad at Dream Theater too.  Since the excuse references DT's new album, I am annoyed that they may have forced their hand here (while JP and JR are out doing their own tours).  I know JLB had wanted to try to base a full tour around this date and maybe that fell apart as well.  JLB shares the blame too, if it was about practice and rehearsals, they should have worked a schedule to get that resolved and worked with DT management to make the scheduling work.  I feel bad for Glen at PPUSA.  He has bands cancel fairly often, usually for visa issues.  I'm not sure they've had a headliner cancel nor with it being from a real good excuse (IMO).  Given how far out PP is booked.  I can't see how they would do this to the fans.  Sadly, as someone who really wanted to see this, I'm not ever sure how PP can book a headliner type replacement.  I guess I'll be curious to see how they handle this.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2724 on: April 30, 2018, 09:22:09 AM »
I'm wondering if maybe it's a situation where it didn't make sense for the band to do PP unless they were going to tour around it, and DT's writing sessions are blocking a tour rather than just the festival specifically.

That seems plausible.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2725 on: April 30, 2018, 09:27:24 AM »
As someone who is already booked to attend PPUSA this September, I am really really pissed.  His band was one of the main reasons to go, especially as headliners.  This does not sit well with me, and honestly, makes me mad at Dream Theater too.  Since the excuse references DT's new album, I am annoyed that they may have forced their hand here (while JP and JR are out doing their own tours).  I know JLB had wanted to try to base a full tour around this date and maybe that fell apart as well.  JLB shares the blame too, if it was about practice and rehearsals, they should have worked a schedule to get that resolved and worked with DT management to make the scheduling work.  I feel bad for Glen at PPUSA.  He has bands cancel fairly often, usually for visa issues.  I'm not sure they've had a headliner cancel nor with it being from a real good excuse (IMO).  Given how far out PP is booked.  I can't see how they would do this to the fans.  Sadly, as someone who really wanted to see this, I'm not ever sure how PP can book a headliner type replacement.  I guess I'll be curious to see how they handle this.

Not only that but James leaked early that he was playing at PP so Glenn probably wasn't happy about that either. Not good.

I'm not holding my breath but it'd be awesome if they got Helloween to play there since they're already touring for Pumpkins United around that time (I'm seeing them September 10th, immediately after PP). Threshold too but it's probably way way too late for visas and all that anyway. Meh.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2726 on: April 30, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »

That seems plausible.

Plausible, but that would be totally lame if it's the only reason.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2727 on: April 30, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »

That seems plausible.

Plausible, but that would be totally lame if it's the only reason.

I do feel like it is likely one of the reasons, but not the only one. It is getting really hard to tour in the U.S. as a headline club act. Let's face it...JLB would be lucky to draw 150 people to his shows. Most of these theoretical shows would operate at a loss, which is not something I think JLB wants to do. Sure, he'll get whatever money he and the band get from Prog Power, but there's no way to stay in the black on a JLB solo tour. If I remember right, the last time he toured the U.S., the shows barely had anyone attend. That's likely not going to improve now, considering his solo band has been on the shelf all these years from the road.

I feel really bad for those that booked ProgPower on the basis of seeing JLB's performance. That sucks. But there must be a big conflict with Dream Theater during that time frame for them not to work with James' schedule. Perhaps they are in talks to do shows around then as an "escape from the studio" tour, and it'll require James being there. Who knows.

Will PPUSA refund tickets due to cancellations, or are they final, regardless of what happens to the acts?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2728 on: April 30, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »
Pretty sure all ticket sales are final unless there's some bizarre circumstance/fan backlash... I can see lots of people pawning their tickets off (more than usual) after this though

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2729 on: April 30, 2018, 10:42:04 AM »
Pretty sure all ticket sales are final unless there's some bizarre circumstance/fan backlash... I can see lots of people pawning their tickets off (more than usual) after this though

Depends who the replacement is.  Pretty safe to assume it'll need to be a US-based act.