Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411241 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2345 on: June 11, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
Way.  Better.  Than.  DT12.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2346 on: June 11, 2014, 03:36:07 PM »
Oh my God how can you even say that?!?! I don't even think I'd say that as a joke.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2347 on: June 11, 2014, 03:39:15 PM »
I think I like it better than DT12 as well.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2348 on: June 11, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »
Ditto. Not even close in my mind.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2349 on: June 11, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »
Who wrote which lyrics on IR? I can't find it anywhere, but I don't actually have the album, so I don't know if it says in there. I gotta say, the album is not bad (still don't think it's great), but some the lyrics are pretty freaking terrible.

Considering the person who wrote a lot of those lyrics reads this forum, maybe you could try to be a little more tactful.  Personally, I think most of the lyrics are really good, with just an occasional line here or there that doesn't quite work.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: June 11, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »
I'd take DT12 over it, but really, both are two completely different albums, and both do what they do exceptionally well.

In regards to the lyrics, the only lyrics I really had a problem with for some is the Three a.m., half asleep, on a beat up couch line of Holding On.  That always sticks out at me for some reason.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2351 on: June 11, 2014, 08:05:47 PM »
ZirconBlue, if any artist I respected was reading my comment on his work, I'd want to be thoroughly honest. When it comes to these guys, none of my criticism comes from spite or maliciousness, just honest thought. Plus, I say as many nice things on this forum about them (or probably more, being DTF is the forum of my favorite band and JLB is my favorite singer ever).

No, I am not a fan of IR. No need to lie and say I am. As I've said, though, the other albums are quite good from everything I've heard!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2352 on: June 11, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
So you like Static Impulse but not Impermanent Resonance? That's interesting.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2353 on: June 11, 2014, 09:26:29 PM »
Haven't heard much of Static Impulse, I don't remember liking it that much either. I may have liked it more than IR though. I'll come back to this thread when I've heard more  :lol I admit my judgements of the JLB solo stuff has been a bit wavering.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2354 on: June 11, 2014, 09:41:18 PM »
Who wrote which lyrics on IR? I can't find it anywhere, but I don't actually have the album, so I don't know if it says in there. I gotta say, the album is not bad (still don't think it's great), but some the lyrics are pretty freaking terrible.

Considering the person who wrote a lot of those lyrics reads this forum, maybe you could try to be a little more tactful.  Personally, I think most of the lyrics are really good, with just an occasional line here or there that doesn't quite work.

Attila the hunninator, he's not saying you shouldn't post your opinion, but this isn't the first time you've expressed it in a crass manner.  You repeatedly lack tact when posting criticism.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2355 on: June 11, 2014, 09:59:33 PM »
Ditto. Not even close in my mind.

Same. IR slays DT12.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2356 on: June 11, 2014, 10:05:29 PM »

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2357 on: June 11, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »
Oh my God how can you even say that?!?! I don't even think I'd say that as a joke.

;D  DT need some support.  I only rate the odd track on SI/IR ...........not even close to DT12 in terms of my taste.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2358 on: June 11, 2014, 10:37:55 PM »
Throw me in the IR > DT12 by a large margin camp as well. 

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2359 on: June 11, 2014, 11:35:58 PM »

Attila the hunninator, he's not saying you shouldn't post your opinion, but this isn't the first time you've expressed it in a crass manner.  You repeatedly lack tact when posting criticism.

:biggrin: Don't TRRRYYYYYYY and change maayyy

No I'm kidding. Indeed I've gotten that before. I don't think I really see anything wrong with what I said. Maybe I'll look back and think again, but I don't think I'm being rude; just being plain and straight forward.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2360 on: June 12, 2014, 12:28:30 AM »
So you like Static Impulse but not Impermanent Resonance? That's interesting.

Well I'd personally say that SI is miles ahead of IR. They are definitely similar stylistically, but the quality of the songwriting isn't   even close. I'm not saying that IR is a bad album, in fact I do enjoy listening to it from time to time, but both SI and EOP are far superior in my opinion. I adore those two.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2361 on: June 12, 2014, 12:41:59 AM »
IR is miles ahead of DT12
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2362 on: June 12, 2014, 05:25:09 AM »
ZirconBlue, if any artist I respected was reading my comment on his work, I'd want to be thoroughly honest.

You haven't even purchased the album, have you??
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2363 on: June 12, 2014, 05:57:48 AM »

:biggrin: Don't TRRRYYYYYYY and change maayyy

No I'm kidding. Indeed I've gotten that before. I don't think I really see anything wrong with what I said. Maybe I'll look back and think again, but I don't think I'm being rude; just being plain and straight forward.

Your opinions are not going to get a lot of support around here when you post them very bluntly as if they are irrefutable facts. It comes across as confrontational and maybe a touch arrogant. I'm not saying you are arrogant and confrontational, just that here on the internet we have nothing to judge you by except for your words. So it's extra important here that I choose my words carefully, and the same goes for anyone else I haven't personally met or talked to whose opinion is floating around the internet. So while there's nothing wrong with not liking some of the lyrics, you're not going to generate a lot of discussion about them if you just say they're 'freaking terrible' and leave it at that. It goes without saying that you're posting your opinions, that's not the issue. I guess it's just a matter of whether or not you want to actually discuss those opinions (as opposed to argue back and forth for a couple of posts with someone willing to take the time). With all of that being said, I can assure you that I'm often guilty of the exact same thing when I post. Especially when I don't choose my words carefully. I don't consider myself to be a really confrontational or arrogant person, and I'd hope that people I know or who I've talked to don't think so either, but I wouldn't blame the rest for thinking so sometimes.

I'm not a big fan of some of the lyrics, myself. Most of them seem very appropriate for the catchiness of the vocal melodies, and I appreciate that. I find it really easy music to song along to. But the actually lyrics themselves are not really my cup of tea. The same could be said for a lot of Dream Theater lyrics. Speaking of which, I'll throw my lot in with the crowd that's saying IR>DT12. I certainly listened to it a lot more!

Any news on a possible JLB tour in the future? I was so bummed when the last one was canceled.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2364 on: June 12, 2014, 06:21:36 AM »
AFAIK there has been no mention of a tour yet. Last I heard there was another EP due eventually, and I believe Matt is also working on a solo album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: June 12, 2014, 06:43:28 AM »
Another EP?  They have more unreleased material?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2366 on: June 12, 2014, 07:11:41 AM »
As much as I like IR I'd still say DT12>IR.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2367 on: June 12, 2014, 10:08:57 AM »

This.  Both are great albums IMO.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2368 on: June 12, 2014, 10:09:24 AM »
James said the plan is to record a new EP and get on the road next year after the DT tour is over.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: June 12, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »
James said the plan is to record a new EP and get on the road next year after the DT tour is over.

Thanks, that sounds awesome

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2370 on: June 12, 2014, 10:43:20 AM »

This.  One can be honest and still be tactful.  "Freaking terrible" is not constructive criticism, it's just insulting someone's work.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2371 on: June 12, 2014, 10:48:23 AM »
I like how this forum self-regulates :tup

anyway, the new EP has been tentatively placed by both Matt and James at about early 2015, and we're not sure how much longer will the DT tour last (maybe mid-2015?). James is in Europe in September 2015 for the Theater Equation thing, so maybe he'll schedule a Europe tour around that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2372 on: June 12, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »
One can be honest and still be tactful.  "Freaking terrible" is not constructive criticism, it's just insulting someone's work.

This.

I spoke to Matt ever so briefly in S.F. a couple of months ago.  And while I did not ask him about any definite plans, I think I recall him saying something in general about having some things planned in general.  But I do not believe he said anything more than that, and it was a very short conversation that was mainly focused on me telling him how much I really enjoyed the album and how we missed him around these parts.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2373 on: June 12, 2014, 11:15:49 AM »

Agreed.

IR has some great moments but overall the pop-rock-metal songs of IR requires more of the right mood than DT12 which I can listen to at any given point throughout the day (as I can with most DT)

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2374 on: June 12, 2014, 12:00:34 PM »

This.  One can be honest and still be tactful.  "Freaking terrible" is not constructive criticism, it's just insulting someone's work.

1. I don't think James LaBrie and Matt Guillory go on Dream Theater Forums for constrictive criticism  :lol

2. Thus why I only claimed it to be "honest" criticism. If they, or anyone else, went on here for an accurate depiction of just how many and what type of Dream Theater fans like the album, and to what extent, they would find exactly that.

3. I said in context, "the album is not bad (still don't think it's great) but some [of] the lyrics are pretty freaking terrible". Which is more specific and meaningful than just two words. And I'd say it is about an accurate statement; I don't mean bad, I mean terrible. I don't mean all, but some. I don't mean the album sucks, but it's O.K.

On topic- I am definitely looking forward to a possible tour. I'll be there for sure if they come by Los Angeles! I sure hope it happens, and I hope to get a nice spread of songs from the albums. A long show would be nice too  :biggrin:.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2375 on: June 12, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »
And none of that is relevant to the fact that "freaking terrible" is not acceptable criticism on this forum.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2376 on: June 12, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »
I didn't realize that. What rule did I break? I've read through them and I don't see any rule I've broken. And if I did, then I guess I disagree with the rules for the reasons I've stated, but obviously I'll follow them anyway.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2377 on: June 12, 2014, 12:44:34 PM »
Rule #12:

12. Insults or senseless bashing of the current or former band members of Dream Theater and/or their music will not be tolerated.  Honest, open critique is always allowed, provided it does not cross the line and become bashing, belittling, etc.

If any further discussion is necessary, it should be via PM and not in the thread.  Let's get the discussion back on topic.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2378 on: June 12, 2014, 03:12:20 PM »
While I love both SI and IR, I keep playing SI more often than IR. Seems for me that IR was "too melodic" if that's the proper way to describe it. It seems the melodies in SI are a bit more complex and better constructed imo. Both are great releases though (EoP included).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2379 on: June 12, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »
I love all of them, and honestly I only listened to one song from DT12 when it first released so I won't comment on whether I like JLB solo albums or that more... But suffice it to say that while I may have moved on from DT's style of playing, I still love the guys and quite honestly, JLB was a huge part of why I loved DT in the first place. So to have him sing on another album with a very different style to DT is a real treat. I absolutely love all the albums but after a good amount of time with them all, I still think EOP is my favorite. But I have to say, Matt and James truly opened my mind and made me feel the feels big time. I didn't like the screaming aspect much at all at first and then one day it just clicked. Kudos; it's both difficult but also very rewarding whenever a new aspect of music previously sour becomes oh so sweet one day.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.