Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411253 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2100 on: September 01, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »
In Mislead, I always mishear one line as "I'll stick out ass if I'm an alien" :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2101 on: September 01, 2013, 10:55:13 PM »
:metalol:

I've also misheard one line in I Got You as "Bitches don't add up".

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2102 on: September 01, 2013, 11:42:39 PM »
:metalol:

I've also misheard one line in I Got You as "Bitches don't add up".

I got problems, but bitches don't add up to 99.

Am I doing it right?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2103 on: September 01, 2013, 11:50:46 PM »
Do you mean Jekyll Or Hyde, Mora? Cause I hear the same thing, and right after that line, I always hear "just like a kid that never fucked it in".   :lol :metal :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2104 on: September 02, 2013, 12:36:08 AM »
This page :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2105 on: September 02, 2013, 01:53:18 AM »
Do you mean Jekyll Or Hyde, Mora? Cause I hear the same thing, and right after that line, I always hear "just like a kid that never fucked it in".   :lol :metal :metal
Ah yeah, excuse the wrong title, I've been studying for hours at that point :nerd:

Holy shit :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2106 on: September 02, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
Someone needs to make a misheard lyrics video of Jekyll or Hyde now :lol

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2107 on: September 07, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
Unraveling Demo (Matt on vocals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrWuoUKDWg

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #2108 on: September 07, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sY7kdko2J8 here's a demo of Amnesia with Matt on Vocals! Awesome!
May The Force Be With You.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2109 on: September 10, 2013, 05:21:03 AM »
I finally got my copy of IR in the mail.  My mail man has been so slack lately with my cd's it's not even funny.  I've had pretty high expectations about this cd, as Static Impulse was by far my AOTY and recently made my all time top 60 list.  Now, it would easily make the top 50, or even higher.  SI was a special album with a solid lineup finding their feet and making some really special music.  IMO, it really was something magical, that is one of those things that a band will never probably create again.

A follow up of an album that simply blows one away and makes an all time list, is just too hard and really, the follow up shouldn't be put up against it, well, not right away anyway.  So, going into IR without expectations is impossible, but I did my best.  I have listened to this a couple of times already and I have some thoughts.

For starters, this is a really different beast to SI.  The similar stylings and mood at times is there, but really IMO, this is completely different, so congrats to the band for evolving on what they had on SI and going into a different direction and creating something of the same caliber without repeating themselves.  The one big thing that makes this so different is the song structures and the obvious more 'poppy' direction.  The heaviness is there, but it's tweaked around amazing vocals and really rich melodies that easily get stuck in the head.  The mix of the insanely heavy guitars and the chorus melodies works really well and in a perfect world, all these songs have potential to be smash hits.

There's also the consistency.  There is nothing to skip over here, and the whole thing is so consistent, it's hard to rate songs more than others as everything here is so strong.  Now, dealing with the direction of the album is something I'm still getting use to.  I just loved the all out metal of SI and secretly, I wanted the band to go in an even heavier direction, but now they have taken a detour and a different route. 

One thing I loved about SI is the solo work, simply outstanding guitar and keyboard solos all the way through.  That is the one thing I miss on IR.  Half the songs still have the instrumental breaks but they are a little shorter.  Then going later in the album, they are absent.  Now, don't get me wrong, the direction the band is taking, the songs that don't have solos, really don't need them, I just feel some of these songs are a bit too simplistic in their structure, and at times it doesn't deviate from the formula.  I think SI had a bit more edge due to this.

Saying this, I think it's something I need to get over, that's probably my issue more than anything else, and once I fully accept that IR is completely different to SI, I think this album will open up and have the longevity and the lasting enjoyment of SI.

It's hard to pick fav songs cause as I said, everything here is enjoyable, but if I had to choose; Why, Holding On, I Got You, Undertow, Say You're Still Mine, Lost in the Fire.....fuck, yeah, this is a strong album.  Well done to the band for another quality piece of music, can't wait to see what the future brings for this lineup, the potential here is incredible.

Also, I'd like to ask Matt, why 'Why' is a bonus track and not a part of the actual album?  It could be the best song here. (Apologies if this has been discussed.)
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2110 on: September 10, 2013, 06:27:37 AM »
How long ago did you buy it wolfking? You didn't preorder, did you? Because that would be utter shit having to wait this long if you did. :(

In any case, I think I agree with everything you said. SI was such a magical album for me aswell and really rised the ranks to become an all-time favourite of mine. I actually think IR has done the same but if I had to choose a favourite, it's still SI, but that's not a slight at all against anything on IR. It is just as solid and consistent a beast as SI and every bit as enjoyable.

It'll be a few years I know, but I'm already anticipating the next release. :\ If only just to see what Matt and the crew do next time, because it's apparent they don't want to do the exact same thing twice.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #2111 on: September 10, 2013, 06:56:37 AM »
Also, I'd like to ask Matt, why 'Why' is a bonus track and not a part of the actual album?  It could be the best song here. (Apologies if this has been discussed.)

Good question. Deciding the final album sequence was really difficult. "Why" is definitely a strong track, and many people have expressed what you are here. Honestly, we didn't want to have any bonus tracks because we felt all the songs were really strong. When it came time to make the final decision, I guess for some reason (that particular day) I felt it didn't quite stack up with the rest. It's cool to see that people are really digging it!

-Matt

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2112 on: September 11, 2013, 04:50:54 AM »

Good question. Deciding the final album sequence was really difficult. "Why" is definitely a strong track, and many people have expressed what you are here. Honestly, we didn't want to have any bonus tracks because we felt all the songs were really strong. When it came time to make the final decision, I guess for some reason (that particular day) I felt it didn't quite stack up with the rest. It's cool to see that people are really digging it!

-Matt

That's for the response Matt.  Appreciate the simple, honest answer.  I really feel Unravelling and Why are part of the album.  I couldn't fathom a version of the album without Why.  It does show the strength of all the songs, and I totally get you not wanting to have any bonus tracks.

I have been spinning this cd in the car today while travelling around for work, and my initial thoughts and issues are already changing.  I still wish there were a couple of more lead breaks, but I'm already coming to terms with the direction and the song structures.  I can see why the songs have been structured the way the have, and I am confident now that after multiple listens, the won't be an issue, as it's already fading, the songs without solos really don't need them.  Honestly, I will say I do find it funny that the songs have gone in a less metal direction with Peter Wichers involved.  I guess this is what made me expect something heavier than SI.  I can still hear the Wichers influence as Soilwork has been one of my fav bands for the last 10 years, he adds some nice touches.

Also, going back on the strength of the songs, there really is nothing here to skip, it's one strong song after another.  Now Lost in the Fire, Slight of Hand and Letting Go are 3 of my favs too.  Lost in the Fire in a perfect world would be on rock radio everywhere.  I gotta comment on the production too, it sounds wonderful.  It's in your face but not overly compressed and it's mixed really well.  And James sounds really clear, with nice pitches and great diction.

Wonderful album.

How long ago did you buy it wolfking? You didn't preorder, did you? Because that would be utter shit having to wait this long if you did. :(

Yeah man.  I just got it from a site that I have used for a while but they are normally pretty good.  I didn't preorder it from an official website of the band or label but I did pre order it.  Very frustrating, but I'm glad I held out until I had it in my hands.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2113 on: September 11, 2013, 04:57:17 AM »
I'm still really digging some of the songs, especially I will not break, I've been spinning it quite a bit the last couple of days. The choruses to Slight of hand and Lost in the fire are growing on me as well.  :metal

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2114 on: September 11, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »
Honestly, I will say I do find it funny that the songs have gone in a less metal direction with Peter Wichers involved.  I guess this is what made me expect something heavier than SI.  I can still hear the Wichers influence as Soilwork has been one of my fav bands for the last 10 years, he adds some nice touches.

The funny thing is, if you strip out the vocals and some of the keyboard parts, there's some really heavy music going on underneath in some parts.  There's a weird synergy of pop and metal that I don't think I've ever heard anything like before.  Normally, "pop metal" refers to watered-down metal.  On IR, though, it's still really heavy, just balanced with some poppier elements.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2115 on: September 11, 2013, 10:00:34 AM »
Honestly, I will say I do find it funny that the songs have gone in a less metal direction with Peter Wichers involved.  I guess this is what made me expect something heavier than SI.  I can still hear the Wichers influence as Soilwork has been one of my fav bands for the last 10 years, he adds some nice touches.

The funny thing is, if you strip out the vocals and some of the keyboard parts, there's some really heavy music going on underneath in some parts.  There's a weird synergy of pop and metal that I don't think I've ever heard anything like before.  Normally, "pop metal" refers to watered-down metal.  On IR, though, it's still really heavy, just balanced with some poppier elements.

Take I Got You for example. It seems fairly "poppy", however it's actually pretty damn heavy. And awesome.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #2116 on: September 11, 2013, 10:16:34 AM »

Believe it or not, but Peter loves and appreciates mainstream pop music just as much as I do. There was an instant, undeniable musical chemistry when we started working together. In fact, we will start working together on pop-only productions in the very near future. Can't wait.

In addition to that, I'll also be working on my debut solo album.

-Matt

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #2117 on: September 11, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »

Cool! That was a serious challenge when writing this stuff - the right juxtaposition of metal and mainstream pop. Despite the ridiculous amount of crafting, it was a lot of fun to do.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2118 on: September 11, 2013, 11:02:10 AM »

Believe it or not, but Peter loves and appreciates mainstream pop music just as much as I do. There was an instant, undeniable musical chemistry when we started working together. In fact, we will start working together on pop-only productions in the very near future. Can't wait.

-Matt

Holy shit yes! Can't wait! Are you going to do all the vocals?
Also, i think i really prefer IR over SI, the songs are more catchy and better overall.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #2119 on: September 11, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
Holy shit yes! Can't wait! Are you going to do all the vocals?
Also, i think i really prefer IR over SI, the songs are more catchy and better overall.

Thanks! As for the vocals... right now, I plan on doing them. That could change though if I find someone I feel is better for the songs.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2120 on: September 11, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
Finally got around listening to this.  It's a pretty good listen.  Sometimes, I think the more scaled-back song structures is what I expected out of a voice like LaBrie's and it's pretty strong here and the songs are all right.  Sure, the lyrics are full of cheese, but sometimes, cheese is good when placed well.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:25:04 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2121 on: September 11, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »

-Matt

I'm looking forward to both!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2122 on: September 11, 2013, 03:47:46 PM »

Cool! That was a serious challenge when writing this stuff - the right juxtaposition of metal and mainstream pop. Despite the ridiculous amount of crafting, it was a lot of fun to do.

This is one of the things I love about this album.  The album is VERY heavy, but doesn't come off as much because of the awesome melodies.  Even with the screams at parts, it never feels like its heavy, but it definitely is.  Even a song like (my favorite) Amnessia, has soft parts, great chorus, very melodic, and yet has the screams and gets really damn heavy.  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2123 on: September 11, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »

-Matt

Yeah, I always thought Peter was a bit of a pop guy too.  I think that influence was creeping in more and more as Soilwork kept releasing more albums.  I noticed it the most of the last album Peter did with Soilwork, Panic Braodcast, that really had some choruses that were more grounded in pop than metal IMO.  I guess it was just teh name Peter Wichers and his history in Soilwork that made me think something more in that vein.  Definitely look forward to another collaboration and your solo album Matt.

Definitely.  I had noticed that too.  It's funny how insanely heavy the riffs can be at times yet grounded so strongly in pop.  It really is quite genius and original.

Loving this album more and more also.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2124 on: September 12, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »

Yeah, the balance between metal and mainstream is awesome!  This album gets more rewarding every time I listen to it.  Keep up the great work.  Looking forward to more.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: September 12, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm loving it more and more too.

Here's a very controversial opinion: Amnesia is my least fav track!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2126 on: September 12, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »

:omg:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2127 on: September 12, 2013, 11:45:02 PM »
Mine would be Destined to Burn or Holding On, but there are no weak songs on the album.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #2128 on: September 13, 2013, 02:20:11 AM »
It grew on me a lot from the first time I've listened to it!
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2129 on: September 13, 2013, 08:36:37 AM »

Amnesia is my current "obsession track", the one I keep hitting repeat on.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: September 13, 2013, 09:21:51 AM »
Mine would be Destined to Burn or Holding On, but there are no weak songs on the album.

Destined to Burn and Lost In the Fire should have been bonus tracks if I had decided.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2131 on: September 13, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »
Going back to the misheard lyrics we talked about at the beginning of the page, look at the second top comment here :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2132 on: September 13, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »
I'm liking Lost in the Fire a lot right now.  Great verses and chorus.  As strange as it may seem, the song is relatively short and has no guitar solo, but it doesn't matter.  Great song.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: September 13, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »

Destined to Burn and Lost In the Fire should have been bonus tracks if I had decided.

No way.  Lost in the Fire is top 3 for me, and Destined to Burn is probably somewhere in the middle.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2134 on: September 14, 2013, 03:20:06 AM »
Going back to the misheard lyrics we talked about at the beginning of the page, look at the second top comment here :lol
:rollin