Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 413585 times)

Offline adastra

Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (2 songs out)
« Reply #1855 on: August 01, 2013, 06:01:47 AM »

For what reason did I receive warning if I justified why I didn't like the album? Or is it against the rules not to like/criticize an album?

Very shitty album to say the least.

So if I understand correctly Do i get warning if i say "Very good album to say the least:" ?
There's nothing constructive in that.
Same thing, different opinion. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:08:40 AM by adastra »
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1856 on: August 01, 2013, 06:11:25 AM »
I think you can figure out the difference between "shitty" and "good" (besides the different meaning) for yourself.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1857 on: August 01, 2013, 06:11:49 AM »
We were talking about constructive criticism vs bashing, positive comments are a different thing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1858 on: August 01, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
Well, I'm a bit in love with this album here. I must be careful not to overplay it, I guess.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1859 on: August 01, 2013, 08:29:05 AM »
SI inties were not so specific on writing so my brain just filled it in as the same writing dynamics as EoP/earlier, so this definitely cleared stuff up in my mind! I gotta say three things:

1) File under *not genre snobism/preference for distorted guitars in my music*: there's like 89385729 lessons for modern pop composers to be learned from the pop you guys do.

2) You're absolutely better at writing with James' voice in mind that anyone who's ever done that. Highlighting everything awesome about it in 3-4 minutes, then repeating it during each song on the album while ample space is left for other important stuff is not an easy balance to achieve.

3) Aaaaaaare you by chance going to sing on your solo album you've been mentioning? I recently introduced my ex-boyfriend to JLB-the-band (as in, a couple of weeks ago, after a few years of "you're totally gonna love this why aren't you checking it out already"), he's paid special attention to EoP and SI and recently he's asked me about "who sings the Jeckyl & Hyde demo" and then we both concluded the world needs to hear you sing lead in a more "officially official" capacity :lol

Re 1: You're way too kind. Definitely the other way around! :) There is so much to be learned about modern pop songwriting and production. I will always be a student of it. I could go on and on for days talking about it because it's really where my heart is, but I'll spare you all. :) I will say this though... from my own personal experience, it's *WAY* more challenging for me to sit down and write something that's catchy/simplistic/memorable than anything that I would consider "progressive" or "technical." OMG it's crazy difficult! But that's why it's so appealing to me. (I'm only speaking for myself.)

Re 2: That's very nice of you to say, but I think there are some very good and capable writers in DT :) When I'm writing a song, I absolutely *have* to be able to sing it. If I'm not feeling it and it's not working for me first, then it's more than likely not going to work for James either.

Re 3: That's the plan. Hmmm maybe I'll get James to do backgrounds? LOL j/k!
Cheers,
Matt

I can't wait to hear it
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: August 01, 2013, 11:45:49 AM »
So I gave the album a few listens yesterday as I did work around my new house and I very much enjoyed the album. I knew it would sound poppy from what I read but it was a bit more than I really anticipated. Not a complaint but just took a listen or two to digest and then I was totally hooked. Really enjoyed it. Since I listened while doing stuff, I don't really know which songs were which but over a few more listens I'll probably be able to start fighting out what songs I really like.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1861 on: August 01, 2013, 12:24:33 PM »
I don't mind when bands do simple pop structures and keys,  because you know its gonna be better than most pop songs. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #1862 on: August 01, 2013, 01:32:11 PM »
I can't stop listening to this album! Every time I listen to music all I want to do is listen to this album. So catchy, melodic, and great musicianship! Love it!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1863 on: August 01, 2013, 01:52:56 PM »
You're an inspiration, Matt. Now that I remember, I saw some youtube videos of you singing some Static Impulse songs...that was amazing. Any plans for you releasing some more of these treats to your fans? It's great to hear you singing your stuff, your voice is great. I'd love to hear you going lead for once  :D

Thank you! Perhaps after Impermanent Resonance has been out for a bit, I could throw some demos up on my YouTube channel.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1864 on: August 01, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
Hey, Matt.
I was wondering how you felt about potentially releasing some instrumental mixes or even just instrumental demos. I'd love to use your music for vocal training and such. And I know Dream Theater has been releasing Instrumental Mixes for the past couple of albums, and I thought it was a great thing to do on their part. So I was wondering if there were any chances of that happening with Static Impulse or Impermanent Resonance, through Digital Distribution or even just on Youtube?
Thanks!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: August 01, 2013, 02:22:42 PM »
Perhaps after Impermanent Resonance has been out for a bit, I could throw some demos up on my YouTube channel.

Cheers,
Matt

:caffeine:
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1866 on: August 01, 2013, 02:57:51 PM »
Perhaps after Impermanent Resonance has been out for a bit, I could throw some demos up on my YouTube channel.

Cheers,
Matt

:caffeine:

So this. I finally sat and listened to the J&H demo...

and then again, and again... Love it
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1867 on: August 01, 2013, 03:10:42 PM »
Hey, Matt.
I was wondering how you felt about potentially releasing some instrumental mixes or even just instrumental demos. I'd love to use your music for vocal training and such. And I know Dream Theater has been releasing Instrumental Mixes for the past couple of albums, and I thought it was a great thing to do on their part. So I was wondering if there were any chances of that happening with Static Impulse or Impermanent Resonance, through Digital Distribution or even just on Youtube?
Thanks!

I don't have any instrumental demos readily available. Most of the stuff was written on an older computer of mine that I have since "retired." It's quite possible that the label might do something like that though. I know they were planning on releasing some remixes of some of the SI songs and they needed the mix stems to do it.

Cheers,
Matt

« Reply #1868 on: August 01, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
I don't have any instrumental demos readily available. Most of the stuff was written on an older computer of mine that I have since "retired." It's quite possible that the label might do something like that though. I know they were planning on releasing some remixes of some of the SI songs and they needed the mix stems to do it.

Cheers,
Matt

That's good to know. I'll remain hopeful. Thanks!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1869 on: August 01, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
I'm so addicted to "Holding On," it's ridiculous.  I think I'm obsessed.  This song is like a drug.  For me, it's easily the best JLB solo song of all time.  This album can't arrive soon enough.   I've been listening to "Holding On" and a few others online, but am depriving myself of the rest.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1870 on: August 01, 2013, 08:08:35 PM »
I've only heard the two singles so far. Really looking forward to hearing the rest.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1871 on: August 01, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »
I'm so addicted to "Holding On," it's ridiculous.  I think I'm obsessed.  This song is like a drug.  For me, it's easily the best JLB solo song of all time.  This album can't arrive soon enough.   I've been listening to "Holding On" and a few others online, but am depriving myself of the rest.

Ditto!  :tup :tup :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1872 on: August 02, 2013, 01:54:34 AM »
Really enjoying the album, so many catchy and powerful songs, my favorites are: I Got You, Lost In The Fire, Say You're Still Mine(incredible song).

Matt, i have to say that i think your keyboards sound much better (and more involved) giving a great vibe to the songs. I feel like it's a big improvement over the previous album. :tup

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1873 on: August 02, 2013, 03:29:10 AM »
There's definitely a big improvement, although I wish Matt were given (or gave himself) a somewhat larger solo space. I really like his playing and his choices of sounds.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1874 on: August 02, 2013, 04:35:07 AM »
Totally agree, his keyboards are absolutely outstanding on IR :tup

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1875 on: August 02, 2013, 08:23:58 AM »

Agreed Holding on is my favorite Labrie solo song of all time I think.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1876 on: August 02, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »
James and I have done a crazy amount of interviews together over the past few weeks. For those of you who are interested, here is one we did for Rocking.gr.

https://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/James-LaBrie-interview/16954/

Cheers,
Matt

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1877 on: August 02, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »
Wow, that one's great, had a huge smile on my face while I was reading it :tup

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1878 on: August 02, 2013, 09:08:52 AM »
James and I have done a crazy amount of interviews together over the past few weeks. For those of you who are interested, here is one we did for Rocking.gr.

https://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/James-LaBrie-interview/16954/

Cheers,
Matt

Great read :)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1879 on: August 02, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »
Really interesting interview :tup

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1880 on: August 02, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »
Bonus track version just showed up in the maaaaaiiiiiiiilllllll!  :metal

Ready to finally give this a listen. I've (by sheer laziness) avoided all the previews. I know not one note of this album!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1881 on: August 02, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »

Ready to finally give this a listen. I've (by sheer laziness) avoided all the previews. I know not one note of this album!

Are you in the US and where specifically if you don't mind me asking.  did you order through Century Media?

Edit: Your profile says Milwaukee.  I'm in Iowa.  Hopefully I get mine tomorrow.  BTW, I almost always attend DT shows in Milwaukee which is a much more pleasant drive than the equidistant Chicago traffic madness. 

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1882 on: August 02, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1883 on: August 02, 2013, 06:19:46 PM »
Ordered through the link provided by Matt/James and arrived today!!!  Killer album!  James is lucky to have such amazing people to work with!  They totally kicked my arse with this album.  So far my favorite is probably Back On The Ground.  But I've been listening to that song a lot since they released that one.  The rest of the album is going to take some time to digest.  Just from one listen, I'm thinking Undertow may end up my favorite.

This could easily end up my favorite James solo (Mullmuzzler included) release. 

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1884 on: August 02, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »

Are you in the US and where specifically if you don't mind me asking.  did you order through Century Media?

Edit: Your profile says Milwaukee.  I'm in Iowa.  Hopefully I get mine tomorrow.  BTW, I almost always attend DT shows in Milwaukee which is a much more pleasant drive than the equidistant Chicago traffic madness.

Yes and I did order through CM.  :smiley: Matt was right about them sending the pre-orders the bonus track version in the US.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1885 on: August 02, 2013, 09:04:59 PM »
Fuck, mine better show up tomorrow!  :facepalm:

Great interviews, Matt!

« Reply #1886 on: August 02, 2013, 09:34:40 PM »
Hey, Matt. Just wanted to say thanks so much for posting those interviews. I'm definitely interested in more, if you feel like posting some.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1887 on: August 03, 2013, 03:49:08 AM »
2) You're absolutely better at writing with James' voice in mind that anyone who's ever done that. Highlighting everything awesome about it in 3-4 minutes, then repeating it during each song on the album while ample space is left for other important stuff is not an easy balance to achieve.
Re 2: That's very nice of you to say, but I think there are some very good and capable writers in DT :) When I'm writing a song, I absolutely *have* to be able to sing it. If I'm not feeling it and it's not working for me first, then it's more than likely not going to work for James either.
Good writers in DT - deffo! But there's something in these solo discs, where James' voice really shines through. Which is absolutely appropriate, since it's his solo disc, so the voice is (quite rightly!) more of a centrepiece, but I'm in awe of James' voice on a regular basis on these solo albums. I think he's great in Dream Theater, too, but not so routinely incredible - the voice is part of the ensemble, rather than a focal point.

I'd say that, in these albums, you can always tell James is a virtuoso. And I think that's something your band's better at showcasing than DT are - and, as lead songwriter, I reckon you have to take a lot of the credit for that.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1888 on: August 03, 2013, 03:59:36 AM »
This interview, JAMES LISTENS TO BRING ME THE HORIZON AND TWO DOOR CINEMA WHAT THE

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1889 on: August 03, 2013, 04:00:31 AM »
Thanks Rob for giving form to a thought that was still in embrional form within my brain. That's definitely true, especially with Impermantent Resonance. But hey, the new DT is coming soon, maybe it will make us change our minds!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco