Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411172 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (2 songs out)
« Reply #1715 on: July 26, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »
How about: metal.

Honestly that's the only level of definition I find relevant, and even then it's not necessary.

Even forget that. The only genres that count are "good" and "bad". As long as it fits into the former category, then I couldn't care less! :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1716 on: July 26, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »
Just got this from iTunes.

Initial impression, an incredibly solid album. Undertow was completely amazing. Still, won't rank as high as EoP but nonetheless, this is super strong. My JLB rankings go like this:

1) Elements of Persuassion
2) Impermanent Resonance
3) Mullmuzzler 2
4) Static Impulse
5) Keep it to Yourself
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1717 on: July 26, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »
Could somebody list what lyrics are written by who?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1718 on: July 26, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »
Just got this from iTunes.

Initial impression, an incredibly solid album. Undertow was completely amazing. Still, won't rank as high as EoP but nonetheless, this is super strong. My JLB rankings go like this:

1) Elements of Persuassion
2) Impermanent Resonance
3) Mullmuzzler 2
4) Static Impulse
5) Keep it to Yourself

I find it odd how people always rank Elements Of Persuasion so highly. The only songs I really liked on it were the softer ones.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1719 on: July 26, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »

As far as the lyrics go...

01: Agony (LaBrie)
02: Undertow (Guillory)
03: Slight Of Hand (LaBrie)
04: Back On The Ground (Guillory)
05: I Got You (Guillory)
06: Holding On (Guillory)
07: Lost In The Fire (Guillory/Lundin)
08: Letting Go (LaBrie)
09: Destined To Burn (LaBrie)
10: Say You're Still Mine (Lundin)
11: Amnesia (Guillory)
12: I Will Not Break (LaBrie)

Bonus Tracks:

13: Unraveling (Guillory/Lundin)
14: Why (Guillory)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1720 on: July 26, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »

I don't think that's in the booklet, although I can't check at the moment.

EDIT: ninja'd

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1721 on: July 26, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »
You rock, Matt!  Thanks! 

Offline userx

« Reply #1722 on: July 26, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
i would categorize it as POP METAL but it doesn't matter really but it just goes to show that if melodic metal bands decided to make POP music without heavy guitars and stuff they would blow the current pop stars out of the water. I mean  the melodies on Impermanent resonance are SICK, in a good way ofcourse

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1723 on: July 26, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »
It's Pirate Metal, obviously. Hosers.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1724 on: July 26, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »
Who is this Lundin guy, if you don't mind me asking? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1725 on: July 26, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »
I'm willing to bet Peter's lyrics are going to be my favorite on the album.

:P
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1726 on: July 26, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
i would categorize it as POP METAL but it doesn't matter really but it just goes to show that if melodic metal bands decided to make POP music without heavy guitars and stuff they would blow the current pop stars out of the water. I mean  the melodies on Impermanent resonance are SICK, in a good way ofcourse

I don't really like to put ourselves in a box, but if hard-pressed... I'd agree. Our music is rooted in metal, but there is VERY prominent pop sensibility to it - especially in the vocal melodies and song structures. And thanks for the compliments on the melodies! I spent more time on those than anything else. Always great to hear nice feedback like that!

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1727 on: July 26, 2013, 12:30:42 PM »
I never get caught up in putting things into a genre.  I have friends that have categorized their itunes or cd collection by genre instead of alphabetical and it drives me nuts because there is no clear definition.  For instance, I consider Black Sabbath the premiere metal band but they have always considered themselves hard rock.  Some people thing Iron Butterfly was the first heavy metal band and its true to an extent, they first incorporated the term heavy into their music but the vast majority of their catalog is not heavy nor metal and is actually pretty poppy.  I got Volbeat's latest album recently and my girlfriend was like, "Is this metal?!"  I had never listened to them and only got their album because King Diamond does guest vocals and I was dumbfounded.  A few of their tracks were clearly metal.  A few were almost straight up pop/punk.  A few more were almost southern rock. 

So I'm not trying to shit on anyones definitions because we all have our own and all that matters is whether we like the music.  Just trying to vocalize how much I hate labels. 

But yeah, I would say this album from what I have heard is metal with pop elements  ;)

Offline userx

« Reply #1728 on: July 26, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »

I don't really like to put ourselves in a box, but if hard-pressed... I'd agree. Our music is rooted in metal, but there is VERY prominent pop sensibility to it - especially in the vocal melodies and song structures. And thanks for the compliments on the melodies! I spent more time on those than anything else. Always great to hear nice feedback like that!

Cheers,
Matt

It's abvious that a lot of thought and work was put into those melodies and i really mean it when I say that there are some of the best chorus melodies i have heard. but what it really brings it up a notch or two is the doubling of the chorus melodies... I mean, just as the logical pop ending of a chorus arrives you strike us with the second part of the chorus which makes it more emotionally effective and rationally interesting (to me atleast). the best example for me is the chorus in Undertow. had there been only one part of the chorus it would be OK but both of them work out to be great :)

also, if I may, I know that a chorus is never so effective when there are equaly beautiful melodies in the verses (to many listeners) but being the type of person that I am, to me, the ideal of a good song would be that every part of a song is beautiful. now that might be difficult to achieve because part of the power of a chorus lies in it's dynamic and melodic strength over the verses but as an idealist I believe it can be done :)

PS. I think even DT could benefit from your input as one of the leading melodists :D if they ever decide to take another member, I'd be rooting for you... the type of things you've done here are the things that mybe are missing a bit from some of  DT albums

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1729 on: July 26, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »

No, this is pirate metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw

I never get caught up in putting things into a genre.  I have friends that have categorized their itunes or cd collection by genre instead of alphabetical and it drives me nuts because there is no clear definition.  For instance, I consider Black Sabbath the premiere metal band but they have always considered themselves hard rock.  Some people thing Iron Butterfly was the first heavy metal band and its true to an extent, they first incorporated the term heavy into their music but the vast majority of their catalog is not heavy nor metal and is actually pretty poppy.  I got Volbeat's latest album recently and my girlfriend was like, "Is this metal?!"  I had never listened to them and only got their album because King Diamond does guest vocals and I was dumbfounded.  A few of their tracks were clearly metal.  A few were almost straight up pop/punk.  A few more were almost southern rock. 

So I'm not trying to shit on anyones definitions because we all have our own and all that matters is whether we like the music.  Just trying to vocalize how much I hate labels. 

But yeah, I would say this album from what I have heard is metal with pop elements  ;)

I think that's the fun part though, how everyone's perception of musical categories is different. For example, the sheer term "Progressive Rock" or "Progressive Metal" might differ completely, to different people. Some people define it as music that's "progressive" in a cultural sense, it does something new, something unique, something different. Personally, I classify Progressive music as something wherein the music itself changes within a given song. And this can give way to long discussions of why I think a certain song fits into such and such genre, whereas someone else classifies it as a different subgenre.

But I do agree that we shouldn't necessarily classify entire albums as a single genre. If you take something like FII, where I'd classify Burning My Soul as a Heavy Metal song, whereas I'd classify Hollow Years, Take Away My Pain and Anna Lee as soft rock songs.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1730 on: July 26, 2013, 12:44:59 PM »

Cheers,
Matt

Yeah, you guys definitely nailed the melodies. Almost every chorus on the album is super catchy. I constantly catch myself humming Agony, I Will Not Break, and Slight of Hand.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1731 on: July 26, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »
:lol :tup

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1732 on: July 26, 2013, 01:06:53 PM »

This guy speaks the truth.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1733 on: July 26, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »
I think you're being slightly unfair on certain pop artists - there are quite a few out there who are very talented and write excellent songs and melodies.

Having said that, I agree that the vocal melodies on IR are generally very, very good.

Offline userx

« Reply #1734 on: July 26, 2013, 01:19:29 PM »
I think you're being slightly unfair on certain pop artists - there are quite a few out there who are very talented and write excellent songs and melodies.

Having said that, I agree that the vocal melodies on IR are generally very, very good.

I apologize, you're righ. my point was that some of these melodies are big hit potential had they been sung by one of today's pop artists

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1735 on: July 26, 2013, 01:24:15 PM »
Absolutely, I totally agree with that.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1736 on: July 26, 2013, 02:01:02 PM »

This guy speaks the truth.

What is the difference between "Pop Metal" and "Power Metal"?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1737 on: July 26, 2013, 02:10:39 PM »
Double bass.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1738 on: July 26, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »
Question: Has someone posted the lyrics to Agony? I can't seem to find them anywhere and would really like to see them.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: July 26, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
The import version is listed on Amazon for $49.22 why exactly?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1740 on: July 26, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »

Import version of CDs on amazon always score the most unlikely prices  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TL

« Reply #1741 on: July 26, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »

Import version of CDs on amazon always score the most unlikely prices  :lol
Heck, on Amazon Canada, regular, non-import versions of albums are like that half the time.  :P

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1742 on: July 27, 2013, 03:49:24 AM »
Alright, after a few days (and an entire dedicated evening yesterday!) I can say that my favourite songs are:

- Agony
- Undertow
- Slight Of Hands
- Holding On
- Lost In The Fire

I'm particularly passionate about Lost In The Fire right now, but the record is young, my preferences are still quite changable.

Anyway, great job guys, another great great record.  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1743 on: July 27, 2013, 04:02:18 AM »
I should stay away from this thread for the next 2 weeks :sadpanda:

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1744 on: July 27, 2013, 05:27:05 AM »
I Got You is just too damn catchy.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1745 on: July 27, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »
I Got You is just too damn catchy.

THIS.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1746 on: July 27, 2013, 08:11:20 AM »
Undertow sounds like Power Metal.

It's amazing.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1747 on: July 27, 2013, 08:43:05 AM »
Holding On is my favorite so far. Agony is close.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #1748 on: July 27, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »

I'm particularly passionate about Lost In The Fire right now, but the record is young, my preferences are still quite changable.

Anyway, great job guys, another great great record.  :tup

Basically this! Great Job everyone involved!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1749 on: July 27, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
Been through the album about five times now and it's a fucking trip every time. I love this album. Top three are easily (in order): Amnesia, Holding On, I Will Not Break. I Got You, Agony, and Letting Go are close. The songs I love, I'm addicted to, and the songs I 'merely' really like are kind of being ignored because I love the aforementioned ones so god damn much. iTunes says I have listened to Amnesia 35 times in the last 30-something hours. So much  :metal :millahhhh :metal :yarr :millahhhh :heart

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.