Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411147 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (with Cover Art)
« Reply #1365 on: July 07, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
Great review, really looking forward to the album.  I got a chance to listen to the samples and they sound pretty good.  Cant say much more with only hearing so little or each song, but I like it a lot.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1366 on: July 07, 2013, 04:21:15 PM »
While I’m still baffled why such a high profile track would start with vocals from someone other than LaBrie,
I'm sure this has been covered before, but it's because this isn't really a solo album, it's a band effort that basically uses JLB's name because it gets attention and so gets the music out there to a bigger audience.

I know the reasoning behind it, but most don't, and even knowing the reasoning I still find it to be a baffling decision.

Not to mention that the single for the last album starts the same way.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1367 on: July 07, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »
NOTE: What is below is an UNEDITED review. It can be a few days in editing and I wanted to get this out to you guys, so before I post in the review section or on my site I figured you guys could get a taste awhile. There are probably spelling, grammar, and readability errors.

===========================

Impermanent Resonance

These are calmer times. However things weren’t that way the last time James LaBrie, best known as the lead singer for prog-metal icons Dream Theater released a solo album. In 2010, only a few weeks before the release of Static Impulse the founding drummer of Dream Theater left the band, shaking the foundations of the fan base and the genre. Since then James and Dream Theater have renewed their success both in the studio and on the road, and through it all a new studio album has found its way to the surface.

Impermanent Resonance will certainly draw a few comparisons to the aforementioned Static Impulse, however there is certainly evolution here, and not an AC/DC style carbon copy of previous albums. One fantastic example of this is in the harsh vocals of drummer Peter Wildoer on the two albums. On Static Impulse his vocals were a surprise to many and very much jumped out of the music at times. The new album should do a good job of pleasing those who enjoy the harsher vocals, while being less alienating to those who don’t. While the amount they are used on the two albums is comparable, they are lower in the mix and used in a less jarring manner, especially after the first two tracks. The album’s first track and lead single “Agony” features a vocal tradeoff between LaBrie and Wildoer during the verses, starting with Wildoer. While I’m still baffled why such a high profile track would start with vocals from someone other than LaBrie, it is a fast and energetic kick start to the album with excellent soloing from guitarist Marco Sfogli that gives a good indication of what to expect from the heavier selections going forward.

The next track, “Undertow” and continues to showcase the heavier elements of the album, while seeming to tradeoff a bit of bite from the last album for a more polished final product. And while I’m sure prog fans especially will debate the usefulness of Wildoer’s vocals up to this point, I don’t think anyone will question that he continues to bring his A game behind the kit. The heavier the section of the song and the more impressive the Swedish sensation sounds. The fourth track, “Back on the Ground” has a structure and beautiful vocal melodies of a power ballad, but one that, at times, goes on steroids and turns up the power aspect to 11. In a perfect world I think a track like this could see significant radio airplay.

“I Got You” is a straight forward rocker with a strong and melodic chorus that features a variety of electronic elements in the background that have been noticeable since 2005’s Elements of Persuasion album, though they are again more refined and less obvious on this track and album. Much of the same can be said of the next track, “Holding On” with the addition of another fantastic guitar solo from Sfogli. The next few tracks take their foot of the gas a tad, focusing on LaBrie’s vocals, especially on “Destined to Burn” during which many long time fans will enjoy the soaring vocals, most notably on the chorus.

“Say You’re Not Mine” starts out with piano and soft, warm vocals from LaBrie, reminiscent of “Coming Home” from LaBrie’s last album, and it a welcomed break in style from the rest of the album till that point.   However unlike “Coming Home” the track picks up, leaving the album lacking any true softer ballads.  The following track, “Amnesia” is similarly structured, with softer sections which really contrast well against the chorus that manages to end with harsh vocals from Wildoer that don’t seem at all out of place.

The final track on the album, “I Will Not Break” returns fully to the sound at the start of the album with its aggressive start, especially in the drums. And for those in Europe, or who can get their hands on the European release of the album will be treated to two bonus tracks. The first of which, “Unraveling”, treats the listener to a softer sound, especially in the first half of the song, that will serve as a nice counterpoint to what came before it. Finally “Why” ensures that no matter which version of the album you get it will end by leaving your blood boiling for more. 

While LaBrie’s fantastic vocals, Wildoer’s drumming, and Sfogli’s excellent guitar work, both lead and solo all help make this album what it is, the standout star if keyboardist Matt Guillory. Not because the keyboard work itself is anything overly complex or groundbreaking, but simply because as the primary composer it was his work that made this album work. Wildoer’s vocals were better incorporated into the music and the keyboards were a perfect example of how to add texture and an extra gear to what is primarily a guitar driven metal album. While the polish of this album does make it a slightly tamer to the ears compared to Static Impulse, it does serve to help draw out and highlight the many memorable melodic moments of the album. Picking favorite tracks is difficult, but for the right reason, as much of the album rises to a very high level.

Fans of LaBrie as a vocalist will not be disappointed in this album, nor will those who have been fans of the other two LaBrie releases. Where fans rank the album will likely be determined by preference in style. Whereas Elements of Persuasion was put electronic elements in the forefront, and Static Impulse highlighted punch and aggression this album blends everything together well with perhaps the best guitar work throughout it all to date.

Nick’s Rating: A

Thank you so much for the kind words, Nick. I'm glad you've enjoyed our new album!

Cheers,
Matt

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: July 07, 2013, 08:48:09 PM »
While I’m still baffled why such a high profile track would start with vocals from someone other than LaBrie,
I'm sure this has been covered before, but it's because this isn't really a solo album, it's a band effort that basically uses JLB's name because it gets attention and so gets the music out there to a bigger audience.

If you look at the past, it's clear that that was never intentional.  James and Matt became a good partnership and the rest of the band has just stuck together as time went on.  I agree, it is more like a seperate complete unit now, but I don't see what the sense would be of changing the band name now.

I'd much prefer to see this constant lineup and style than have James working with different people just for the sake of being a true solo artist.

And yes, having James' name out the front can't hurt, but when you are doing the style of music that they are, would that really make much of a difference?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: July 07, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »
Exactly what I expected, and I like these very much.

yeah, it sounds amazingly solid and from these samples, perhaps more commercial and a bit lighter yet different from SI.

Love I Got You and Back on the Ground.  And I Will Not Break = Crucify 2  :metal :metal :metal

Cool! Btw... I was actually considering using Back On The Ground for my solo record. So glad it ended up on IR because James tore it up!  :metal

Solo record??  I'm liking what I'm hearing.  And Back on the Ground would be the one I would say was the one that pricked my ears the most from the samples.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1370 on: July 07, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »
I will be writing a review for Nick as well, and while I would characterize the music a little differently than him - it is still going to get a very good rating from me - higher than I'd grade EoP or SI.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #1371 on: July 07, 2013, 09:47:10 PM »
I'm listening to some of James LaBrie's solo material.  Can anyone recommend me some of his quiet/ballad type songs?  Thanks in advance.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1372 on: July 07, 2013, 11:24:02 PM »
Coming Home is a really beautiful song, you should give it a listen!

Offline adastra

« Reply #1373 on: July 07, 2013, 11:29:21 PM »
Nice thorough review Nick. I love reviews where the tracks are reviewed!
Still i think that these "A, 10/10" ratings are a bit too much.
U bashed that Imperiumi reviewer for giving almost the worst review possible.
And then u come and give a solid A.

If your rating would have been something like B+ to A-   , I would have  believed it.
But I always skip reviews with "too high" or "too low" score.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1374 on: July 08, 2013, 01:08:16 AM »
I'm listening to some of James LaBrie's solo material.  Can anyone recommend me some of his quiet/ballad type songs?  Thanks in advance.

Understand - This is one of my favourite songs of all time.  Great melodies and feel and pretty much the most amazing guitar solo ever.  It's a shame that it's a Japanese B-Side, I'm not paying $40 for one song, just gotta Youtube it.  I don't even remember how I came across it in the first place, probably a Youtube suggested song somewhere a long time ago.  Can't even get it as a single download from iTunes.   :angry:

Slightly Out Of Reach - Pretty much the most amazing keyboard solo ever.  Matt has some crazy ability to blur the line that divides how keys and guitar sound... taps, bends, pinched harmonics, etc.  It really sounds like a guitar solo being finger-picked, at least until Marco comes in with the actual guitar and slays the second half of the solo break.

Believe - Just great.

Listening - I can't explain it but it's got this really creepy/somber/melancholy vibe but is somehow also uplifting.  Weird.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1375 on: July 08, 2013, 02:31:52 AM »

Not his solo record but he sang all the songs on Frameshift album. Unweaving the Rainbow has many amazing vocal records. As ballad I strongly recommend La Mer from this album.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: July 08, 2013, 04:38:38 AM »

Lost. It's one of the most unique and amazing songs he has ever done.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1377 on: July 08, 2013, 05:54:22 AM »
Lost is 1 out of only 2 songs on EoP I can't stand. :lol (the other being Smashed). The rest of the album is excellent though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: July 08, 2013, 06:04:47 AM »
I'm thinking of doing a James Labrie survivor in the next couple of weeks.  Just wondering how much interest I would get.  I would cover;

Keep It To Yourself
Mullmuzzler 2
Elements of Persuasion
Static Impulse
Impermanent Resonance

By the time we get to IR it would have been released for a few weeks so we all have time to digest and vote.

What do we think?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1379 on: July 08, 2013, 06:26:30 AM »

Lost. It's one of the most unique and amazing songs he has ever done.

I love lost and MM is awesome on this too.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1380 on: July 08, 2013, 06:28:38 AM »
I'm thinking of doing a James Labrie survivor in the next couple of weeks.  Just wondering how much interest I would get.  I would cover;

Keep It To Yourself
Mullmuzzler 2
Elements of Persuasion
Static Impulse
Impermanent Resonance

By the time we get to IR it would have been released for a few weeks so we all have time to digest and vote.

What do we think?

I haven't heard the first two, but I'd be down for the rest.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1381 on: July 08, 2013, 10:23:17 AM »
I'm down for a survivor. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1382 on: July 08, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »

Keep It To Yourself
Mullmuzzler 2
Elements of Persuasion
Static Impulse
Impermanent Resonance

What do we think?

I haven't heard the first two three, but I'd be down for the rest.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1383 on: July 08, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »
I haven't heard the first two and I need a few more listens to EoP, but yes, I'm down for that.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1384 on: July 08, 2013, 11:14:11 AM »
To ones who don't listen the first two James albums fail so bad. Such strong vocal efforts there. Give it a listen.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1385 on: July 08, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
[REVIEW]

Crap review.  Wouldn't read it even if I could read Finnish.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1386 on: July 08, 2013, 11:50:56 AM »
To ones who don't listen the first two James albums fail so bad. Such strong vocal efforts there. Give it a listen.
Great stuff there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1387 on: July 08, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »
Nice thorough review Nick. I love reviews where the tracks are reviewed!
Still i think that these "A, 10/10" ratings are a bit too much.
U bashed that Imperiumi reviewer for giving almost the worst review possible.
And then u come and give a solid A.

If your rating would have been something like B+ to A-   , I would have  believed it.
But I always skip reviews with "too high" or "too low" score.

I think you misunderstood my criticism. I can certainly see anybody, even prog or metal fans listening to this album and thinking it's 5/10. I have no problem with that part of the review. But if the translations were correct his points about being identical to Static Impulse, and especially the part about Coming Home Pt. 2 I think are observations completely based on what he wanted it to be and not what it is. It's there that I found a problem with the review. Sure, the new song does start out with a light intro with acoustic instruments, but they sound nothing alike and go their own way from there.

Also, my site does give out A+s, so my A =/= 10/10.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1388 on: July 08, 2013, 08:00:41 PM »

I listened to them once or twice and didn't like them at all. From what I recall, his vocals were too rough for me on those ones, and the music was kind of generic proggy that was of no interest to me.
His vocals are a little rough around the edges in places on EoP too, although the songs are so good that it's more of a nitpick.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: July 08, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »
I think the first three JLB solo records are a mixed bag, honestly. SI is the first I really got full, extended enjoyment out of. You can tell the passion is there from everyone.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1390 on: July 08, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »
I couldn't make it through the Mullmuzzler albums unfortunately. Just bland and cheesy at the same time. EoP has some great tunes but also some forgettable stuff too. SI to me is his first solo album that's just consistently good from beginning to end.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1391 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:58 PM »
I actually prefer Mullmuzzler 2 over EoP. The first two albums suffer due to him not being vocally fit yet, but those songs will slay live now with his current voice. Venice Burning, would sounds lovely now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1392 on: July 09, 2013, 05:22:29 AM »
So great reading that many of you enjoy the samples of IR! Thanks a lot Nick for the great review. Kind of the same way I feel about this album, a bot more balanced and focused on the songs. Hope you all will enjoy the full album when it's out!  :metal

Cheers!

Peter

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: July 09, 2013, 05:24:26 AM »
So great reading that many of you enjoy the samples of IR! Thanks a lot Nick for the great review. Kind of the same way I feel about this album, a bot more balanced and focused on the songs. Hope you all will enjoy the full album when it's out!  :metal

Cheers!

Peter

This can't come quick enough.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1394 on: July 09, 2013, 09:27:59 AM »
Wolf, trust me it will be well worth the wait.  Like I said before - better than SI.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1395 on: July 09, 2013, 10:26:05 AM »
Howdy folks. Just a heads up. Another new James LaBrie tune will up on YouTube next Tuesday, July 16th. (One of my personal favorites!)

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1396 on: July 09, 2013, 10:27:01 AM »
:woot: :metal :metal

Thanks, Matt!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1397 on: July 09, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
Wolf, trust me it will be well worth the wait.  Like I said before - better than SI.

A friend of mine who listened to the album for review purposes also said it is better than SI, so i am very excited to hear the album.

Can't wait to hear the second song next week!  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: July 09, 2013, 10:28:06 AM »
Can't wait to hear it. :)