Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 413611 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (with Cover Art)
« Reply #1330 on: July 06, 2013, 12:50:24 AM »
WTFOPINIONS :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1331 on: July 07, 2013, 02:28:52 AM »
On other news, I re-listened to Mullmuzzler 2 in its entirety yesterday, and WHAT AN ALBUM THAT WAS!  :metal
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1333 on: July 07, 2013, 05:08:38 AM »
Exactly what I expected, and I like these very much.
One question for Matt: are the lyrics split near 50/50 between you and James on this album too, or...?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: July 07, 2013, 05:11:30 AM »

yeah, it sounds amazingly solid and from these samples, perhaps more commercial and a bit lighter yet different from SI.

Love I Got You and Back on the Ground.  And I Will Not Break = Crucify 2  :metal :metal :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1336 on: July 07, 2013, 05:12:22 AM »
I'm liking everything I'm hearing.
I Will Not Break reminds me a bit of Crucify with the balls to the wall drums, and sounds like a metal way to finish off an album.

edit: Oh good, I wasn't the only one reminded of Crucify. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: July 07, 2013, 05:14:45 AM »

yeah, it sounds amazingly solid and from these samples, perhaps more commercial and a bit lighter yet different from SI.
I have no complaints against commercial and lighter, as long as it's good, and this seems like it will be :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1338 on: July 07, 2013, 05:18:54 AM »
I think this is going to be good.  ;D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1339 on: July 07, 2013, 05:21:01 AM »
Back on the Ground and Lost in the Fire sound particularly awesome.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1340 on: July 07, 2013, 06:19:47 AM »
Back on the Ground and Lost in the Fire sound particularly awesome.
Those two stood out to me as well!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1341 on: July 07, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »
They all sounded about equally good to me, although Slight of Hand jumped out at me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1342 on: July 07, 2013, 06:27:30 AM »
Cool :tup

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1343 on: July 07, 2013, 06:49:06 AM »
They all sounded about equally good to me, although Slight of Hand jumped out at me.
That's the one that stood out most to me, aswell. Lost in the Fire and Destined To Burn also sounded pretty good.  My hype level for this album: increased. :metal

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #1344 on: July 07, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
Samples sound like Static Impulse, but even more radical - the JLB/"quiet" sections sound a LOT more like either Elements of Persuasion at times or Mullmuzzler 2 at others, and and harsh Wildoer-driven sections sound a lot heavier than some of his sections in SI.

I *really* like it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1345 on: July 07, 2013, 07:17:40 AM »
Samples sound like Static Impulse, but even more radical - the JLB/"quiet" sections sound a LOT more like either Elements of Persuasion at times or Mullmuzzler 2 at others, and and harsh Wildoer-driven sections sound a lot heavier than some of his sections in SI.
I'm still sitting here listening to these samples, and had the same thought a while ago myself. I keep getting the impression that this album contains a combination of a lot of elements (nugget) from both EoP and SI.

Also, is anyone else getting flashbacks listening to these synths? They're very 90's techno/eurodance inspired...in a good way :lol. Modern metal infused with retro electronica. Fuck.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1346 on: July 07, 2013, 07:35:17 AM »
Also, is anyone else getting flashbacks listening to these synths? They're very 90's techno/eurodance inspired...in a good way :lol. Modern metal infused with retro electronica. Fuck.

Exactly what I thought when I first listened to Agony :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: July 07, 2013, 08:00:23 AM »
Modern metal infused with retro electronica. Fuck.
I knooooow I'm just getting into electronic elements in music and now I want them EVERYWHERE. I want them in my coffee for fuck sake.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1348 on: July 07, 2013, 08:00:38 AM »
One question for Matt: are the lyrics split near 50/50 between you and James on this album too, or...?

More or less, that is correct. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the exact amount we each did. But yes, we try to split it 50/50 for each record.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: July 07, 2013, 08:03:29 AM »
Whoop dee doo! It'll be fun to not look in the booklet and try to guess which is whose, I have a talent for that :biggrin:

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1350 on: July 07, 2013, 08:16:03 AM »

Love I Got You and Back on the Ground.  And I Will Not Break = Crucify 2  :metal :metal :metal

Cool! Btw... I was actually considering using Back On The Ground for my solo record. So glad it ended up on IR because James tore it up!  :metal

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1351 on: July 07, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »
Wow, those samples are great! Everyone sounds in top form. I can't wait to hear the whole album :)
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1352 on: July 07, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »
Wow this sounds way more catchy than i expected! I really like how James sounds, and also the electronic elements.

Seriously hyped after listening to the samples :metal :metal

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1353 on: July 07, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »
I'm still sitting here listening to these samples, and had the same thought a while ago myself. I keep getting the impression that this album contains a combination of a lot of elements (nugget) from both EoP and SI.

This. And yes, those synths are awesome. Peter's vocals are amazing as well. Man, judging by these samples, this is going to be even better than SI. Amazing!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1354 on: July 07, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »
Say You're Still Mine sounds exactly like I imagined it. I like it!
Is that a piano ballad or does it turn into a rocker. Reminded me of Coming Home
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1355 on: July 07, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »
Oops ._.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1356 on: July 07, 2013, 10:40:50 AM »
I don't know if it's too early to say but judging from the samples there is EoP vibe here and there. And that's really awesome. As much as I love Static Impulse I really miss the dynamic sound of EoP.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1357 on: July 07, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »
NOTE: What is below is an UNEDITED review. It can be a few days in editing and I wanted to get this out to you guys, so before I post in the review section or on my site I figured you guys could get a taste awhile. There are probably spelling, grammar, and readability errors.

===========================

Impermanent Resonance

These are calmer times. However things weren’t that way the last time James LaBrie, best known as the lead singer for prog-metal icons Dream Theater released a solo album. In 2010, only a few weeks before the release of Static Impulse the founding drummer of Dream Theater left the band, shaking the foundations of the fan base and the genre. Since then James and Dream Theater have renewed their success both in the studio and on the road, and through it all a new studio album has found its way to the surface.

Impermanent Resonance will certainly draw a few comparisons to the aforementioned Static Impulse, however there is certainly evolution here, and not an AC/DC style carbon copy of previous albums. One fantastic example of this is in the harsh vocals of drummer Peter Wildoer on the two albums. On Static Impulse his vocals were a surprise to many and very much jumped out of the music at times. The new album should do a good job of pleasing those who enjoy the harsher vocals, while being less alienating to those who don’t. While the amount they are used on the two albums is comparable, they are lower in the mix and used in a less jarring manner, especially after the first two tracks. The album’s first track and lead single “Agony” features a vocal tradeoff between LaBrie and Wildoer during the verses, starting with Wildoer. While I’m still baffled why such a high profile track would start with vocals from someone other than LaBrie, it is a fast and energetic kick start to the album with excellent soloing from guitarist Marco Sfogli that gives a good indication of what to expect from the heavier selections going forward.

The next track, “Undertow” and continues to showcase the heavier elements of the album, while seeming to tradeoff a bit of bite from the last album for a more polished final product. And while I’m sure prog fans especially will debate the usefulness of Wildoer’s vocals up to this point, I don’t think anyone will question that he continues to bring his A game behind the kit. The heavier the section of the song and the more impressive the Swedish sensation sounds. The fourth track, “Back on the Ground” has a structure and beautiful vocal melodies of a power ballad, but one that, at times, goes on steroids and turns up the power aspect to 11. In a perfect world I think a track like this could see significant radio airplay.

“I Got You” is a straight forward rocker with a strong and melodic chorus that features a variety of electronic elements in the background that have been noticeable since 2005’s Elements of Persuasion album, though they are again more refined and less obvious on this track and album. Much of the same can be said of the next track, “Holding On” with the addition of another fantastic guitar solo from Sfogli. The next few tracks take their foot of the gas a tad, focusing on LaBrie’s vocals, especially on “Destined to Burn” during which many long time fans will enjoy the soaring vocals, most notably on the chorus.

“Say You’re Not Mine” starts out with piano and soft, warm vocals from LaBrie, reminiscent of “Coming Home” from LaBrie’s last album, and it a welcomed break in style from the rest of the album till that point.   However unlike “Coming Home” the track picks up, leaving the album lacking any true softer ballads.  The following track, “Amnesia” is similarly structured, with softer sections which really contrast well against the chorus that manages to end with harsh vocals from Wildoer that don’t seem at all out of place.

The final track on the album, “I Will Not Break” returns fully to the sound at the start of the album with its aggressive start, especially in the drums. And for those in Europe, or who can get their hands on the European release of the album will be treated to two bonus tracks. The first of which, “Unraveling”, treats the listener to a softer sound, especially in the first half of the song, that will serve as a nice counterpoint to what came before it. Finally “Why” ensures that no matter which version of the album you get it will end by leaving your blood boiling for more. 

While LaBrie’s fantastic vocals, Wildoer’s drumming, and Sfogli’s excellent guitar work, both lead and solo all help make this album what it is, the standout star if keyboardist Matt Guillory. Not because the keyboard work itself is anything overly complex or groundbreaking, but simply because as the primary composer it was his work that made this album work. Wildoer’s vocals were better incorporated into the music and the keyboards were a perfect example of how to add texture and an extra gear to what is primarily a guitar driven metal album. While the polish of this album does make it a slightly tamer to the ears compared to Static Impulse, it does serve to help draw out and highlight the many memorable melodic moments of the album. Picking favorite tracks is difficult, but for the right reason, as much of the album rises to a very high level.

Fans of LaBrie as a vocalist will not be disappointed in this album, nor will those who have been fans of the other two LaBrie releases. Where fans rank the album will likely be determined by preference in style. Whereas Elements of Persuasion was put electronic elements in the forefront, and Static Impulse highlighted punch and aggression this album blends everything together well with perhaps the best guitar work throughout it all to date.

Nick’s Rating: A
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:07:58 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1358 on: July 07, 2013, 01:03:56 PM »
Great review! Really looking forward to this! :metal :metal

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1359 on: July 07, 2013, 01:11:17 PM »
Great review! Really looking forward to this! :metal :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: July 07, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »
Thanks Nick! :metal

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1361 on: July 07, 2013, 02:34:03 PM »
:caffeine:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1362 on: July 07, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »
While I’m still baffled why such a high profile track would start with vocals from someone other than LaBrie,
I'm sure this has been covered before, but it's because this isn't really a solo album, it's a band effort that basically uses JLB's name because it gets attention and so gets the music out there to a bigger audience.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1363 on: July 07, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »
Great review man  :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1364 on: July 07, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »
While I’m still baffled why such a high profile track would start with vocals from someone other than LaBrie,
I'm sure this has been covered before, but it's because this isn't really a solo album, it's a band effort that basically uses JLB's name because it gets attention and so gets the music out there to a bigger audience.

I know the reasoning behind it, but most don't, and even knowing the reasoning I still find it to be a baffling decision.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1