Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411221 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (with Cover Art)
« Reply #1295 on: July 04, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »
Regarding the different editions of the album, if I want the one with the bonus tracks, is the only way I can obtain it by getting the european import or will it be available domestically as well?

Maybe Matt can answer it.

As far as I know, yes (you would have to get it as a European import). I will check with our label rep to confirm though. Can't wait for you all to hear this stuff.

Cheers,
Matt

Not the ideal way to get the extra songs but beggars can't be choosers so looks like I'm ordering the import!  Thanks for the update.

It is fantastic, and having Peter around last time was just as amazing. If the trend continues maybe in 2 or 3 more albums the Pirate himself will show up!  :yarr

I'm back, hahaha!  :metal

Great reading here! It's been a long time but I've tried to catch up a bit reading through quite a lot here.

Very cool that so many of you seems to be very excited for the new JLB album. Personally I think it's even better than Static Impulse much because of Matt's and Wichers absolutely phenomenal song writing. I promise you guys that the album has a wide variety of songs and there will be something for everyone.  :tup

Also, thanks for the positive reactions on my video!!  :hefdaddy

Cheers,

Peter

That video was insane.  I don't think I've seen such brutal drumming look so effortless. 

Also, it makes me think of just how badass you would have been in Dream Theater.  Don't get me wrong, I love Mangini and I'm 100% happy he got the gig but I can't help but imagine what kind of insane music you would make with Dream Theater. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1296 on: July 04, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »
The hell is going on in he.....oooh hi Matt and Peter!  :blush

Their presence made me feel guilty for not ordering the album, I shall now do as you command!  :hefdaddy
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1297 on: July 04, 2013, 03:30:19 PM »
Oh gosh, now I can't blatantly fangirl in this thread like I used to (did - hi OSIers) :blush

(I just know some smartass is gonna come over and quote all my " :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart" posts under this. Come on, hit me with your best shot)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1298 on: July 04, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »
:lol I better edit this in case Peter comes back...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:16:55 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1299 on: July 04, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »
Oh gosh, now I can't blatantly fangirl in this thread like I used to (did - hi OSIers) :blush

(I just know some smartass is gonna come over and quote all my " :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart" posts under this. Come on, hit me with your best shot)

We've all seen them, no need for any unnecessary proof. :hat

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1300 on: July 04, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »
I just went through some and, dearie me... Matt, I didn't REALLY mean to steal your phone :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: July 04, 2013, 05:06:31 PM »
Get your visas in order, gentlemen.

:lol No kidding! Let's tour the states this time fellas!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: July 04, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »
This thread is reaching new heights of awesomeness.
:biggrin:
I'm so damn pumped for this album. Agony was awesome and if its anything close or even better than SI, it will be awesome.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1303 on: July 04, 2013, 10:33:37 PM »
Matt, I didn't REALLY mean to steal your phone :rollin
Of course you didn't... ;D

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1304 on: July 05, 2013, 05:31:39 AM »
Matt, I hope you don't mind, but given recent developments I've given you an avatar. :D

Ha! Well how about that? I'm cool like Peter now! ;) Woo hoo!  :metal

Now THAT's a great Avatar!

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1305 on: July 05, 2013, 05:36:50 AM »

No worries, hahaha! Much love right back at you.

Thank you all for the support and kind words! Can't wait to hear your reaction when the album is out.  :corn

Offline adastra

« Reply #1306 on: July 05, 2013, 05:44:06 AM »
Finnish Imperiumi.net crushed Impermanent Resonance;

https://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=albums&id=14312

For all non-finnish speaking, it basically says that it sucks and is competing for the title of "Most Useless album of The Year".
"Where Static Impulse had some good songs, Impermanent Resonance doesn't have any. Except "Say You're Still Mine" which is like a copy of Coming Home"
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1307 on: July 05, 2013, 05:46:35 AM »
Considering how good the first single off Impermanent Resonance is (which is as good as anything off Static Impulse), I don't put any faith in that review.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: July 05, 2013, 05:49:03 AM »
In his Static Impulse review the same guy said Coming Home has "straight references" to Space-Dye Vest, so I wouldn't listen to what he says :lol

E: The reviewer says there are more vocals by Peter on the new album. Interesting...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: July 05, 2013, 06:03:23 AM »
I wouldn't put much into that if it thought SI only had a few good songs. We already know IR has one good song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: July 05, 2013, 06:06:14 AM »
I wouldn't put much into that if it thought SI only had a few good songs. We already know IR has one good song.

Well I thought SI only had a few good songs too, but this reviewer is going beyond simply giving a negative review. Maybe JLB's F# broke the windows on his favourite Hot Wheels car as a child or something.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1311 on: July 05, 2013, 06:10:51 AM »

Well I thought SI only had a few good songs too, but this reviewer is going beyond simply giving a negative review. Maybe JLB's F# broke the windows on his favourite Hot Wheels car as a child or something.

Are u basically saying that he reviewed it incorrectly  :D

I'm pretty sure that the album will far superior than this review suggests!

oh! and speaking of the F# the review states this about JLB's vocals ; "Novadays Labrie sings much better than for example 10 yrs ago. Even that don't save Impermanent Resonance. Labrie's vocals are so safe and bland that it makes me feel drowsy."

Thats pretty harsh  :-\
I hope I translated that correctly.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:28:12 AM by adastra »
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: July 05, 2013, 06:37:22 AM »
Yeah, the guy basically says Impermanent Resonance is a carbon copy of Static Impulse and the songwriting is so mediocre that no one would pay attention to the album if it didn't feature James' name on the cover.

I really enjoy SI and Agony is awesome, so I'm not expecting to be disappointed. Matt also said the new album is more dynamic, so hopefully he's right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1313 on: July 05, 2013, 06:38:12 AM »
While my review is still in progress, and I don't want to give any details ahead of time, I will say that this particular guy doesn't know wtf he's talking about.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: July 05, 2013, 06:38:26 AM »

As someone who's been reviewing for a serious zine herself for two years now - don't put faith into reviews, guys. The only things you can learn from them are facts, after filtering them from tastes and opinions, and a lot of reviewers skip fact-giving and go straight to impressions first. Or state opinions as facts, which is just misleading. Static Impulse pun unintended.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1315 on: July 05, 2013, 06:41:07 AM »
Well, I think there is certainly a good point in reviews. You simply have to take a consensus from sources you trust to get a better feeling of how you will likely feel. Random reviews here and there won't always be good, but with the sample size and reliability increasing they certainly do become better indicators.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: July 05, 2013, 06:43:02 AM »

As someone who's been reviewing for a serious zine herself for two years now - don't put faith into reviews, guys. The only things you can learn from them are facts, after filtering them from tastes and opinions, and a lot of reviewers skip fact-giving and go straight to impressions first. Or state opinions as facts, which is just misleading. Static Impulse pun unintended.

Luckily I don't place any importance in music reviews at all (or reviews for most forms of media), except for facts, not opinions.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1317 on: July 05, 2013, 06:44:30 AM »

Luckily I don't place any importance in music reviews at all (or reviews for most forms of media), except for facts, not opinions.

While I understand what you're saying, when it comes to music, aside from the basics, exactly what is really fact? One of the glorious bits about music is how subjective and individual it is.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1318 on: July 05, 2013, 06:44:54 AM »
While my review is still in progress, and I don't want to give any details ahead of time, I will say that this particular guy doesn't know wtf he's talking about.

And you do ?  :P

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1319 on: July 05, 2013, 06:45:48 AM »

Yes, of course. :p

But seriously, I was only commenting that I found the specific points of his review brought up in this thread don't really apply I think.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1320 on: July 05, 2013, 06:47:22 AM »

Yes, of course. :p

;D Ok, I will make the decision of buying the album after reading your review

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: July 05, 2013, 06:51:55 AM »
While I understand what you're saying, when it comes to music, aside from the basics, exactly what is really fact? One of the glorious bits about music is how subjective and individual it is.

I essentially am talking about basics here, since the quality of music does come 100% down to opinion.
I'm just talking about stuff like a particular guest musician, or if you told me a song had a 20 minute banjo solo, or that it includes JLB screaming high A5s for an entire song. Stuff that may affect my interest in the music, but can be described objectively, and not reliant on opinions such as "this is their best song in the history of ever", which would mean nothing to me coming from someone else. A lot of this is stuff that would be known before reviews anyway.
But I agree with you.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1322 on: July 05, 2013, 06:55:19 AM »

I essentially am talking about basics here, since the quality of music does come 100% down to opinion.
I'm just talking about stuff like a particular guest musician, or if you told me a song had a 20 minute banjo solo, or that it includes JLB screaming high A5s for an entire song. Stuff that may affect my interest in the music, but can be described objectively, and not reliant on opinions such as "this is their best song in the history of ever", which would mean nothing to me coming from someone else. A lot of this is stuff that would be known before reviews anyway.
But I agree with you.

Got ya.

So would this be a good or bad time to tell you about the 20 minute didgeridoo solo? Well, it's actually several shorter didgeridoo solos just lumped together on the album, but you get the idea.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: July 05, 2013, 06:56:24 AM »
Well, I think there is certainly a good point in reviews. You simply have to take a consensus from sources you trust to get a better feeling of how you will likely feel. Random reviews here and there won't always be good, but with the sample size and reliability increasing they certainly do become better indicators.
Yeah, definitely - I wouldn't be doing that if I thought it were pointless! I always like finding people who dedicate the necessary time to approach a release from several angles, put the album in context of either the genre or the rest of the artist's discography, make some necessary comparisons, have a way with words and are insightful enough to predict which people to recommend/not recommend the release too, but in the same time don't go for sensationalism nor take themselves *too* seriously. I like learning from those people. But in the same time, I try to listen to an album and form my own opinion first, then read the reviews, to see if I accidentally missed out on something someone else liked.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: July 05, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »

But I agree with you.

Got ya.

So would this be a good or bad time to tell you about the 20 minute didgeridoo solo? Well, it's actually several shorter didgeridoo solos just lumped together on the album, but you get the idea.

We actually find it incredibly offensive for "outsiders" to play the didgeridoo, so unless it's played by Paul Hogan, I think I'll give this one a miss. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1325 on: July 05, 2013, 07:03:15 AM »
Yeah, definitely - I wouldn't be doing that if I thought it were pointless! I always like finding people who dedicate the necessary time to approach a release from several angles, put the album in context of either the genre or the rest of the artist's discography, make some necessary comparisons, have a way with words and are insightful enough to predict which people to recommend/not recommend the release too, but in the same time don't go for sensationalism nor take themselves *too* seriously. I like learning from those people. But in the same time, I try to listen to an album and form my own opinion first, then read the reviews, to see if I accidentally missed out on something someone else liked.

Very much get where you're coming from. Even though I've written however many reviews, I usually don't read others about albums I know I'm going to buy anyway. It's only when I'm on the fence that I'll really dig into reviews.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #1326 on: July 05, 2013, 07:30:09 AM »
In his Static Impulse review the same guy said Coming Home has "straight references" to Space-Dye Vest, so I wouldn't listen to what he says :lol
He also gave Steven Wilson's Raven five stars out of ten...  ::)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1327 on: July 05, 2013, 07:42:01 AM »
Well, that sounds about right.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1328 on: July 05, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »
:|

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1329 on: July 05, 2013, 05:44:02 PM »
Wow. Knowing this, I won't even read the review, even if I would've been able to understand Finnish.