Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411161 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (with Cover Art)
« Reply #1015 on: June 15, 2013, 03:21:19 AM »
Does Matt qualify for VIP purple or no?

OH AND THANKS FOR THE UPDATE! :D
All of this.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1016 on: June 15, 2013, 03:27:13 AM »
Thanks for the update, Matt, we're looking forward to the good stuff.  :metal

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1017 on: June 15, 2013, 12:18:13 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1018 on: June 15, 2013, 12:35:28 PM »
It's good to have you here, Matt. While you're around, is there anything you can tell us about the new album? How prevalent are the harsh vocals? Is the album going to be a continuation of the sound on Static Impulse, or will it be something else entirely?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1019 on: June 15, 2013, 01:06:56 PM »
Well, we'll see in a few months :)

As for me, the more harsh vocals, the better (not that I don't wanna hear James, but I adore the way James and Peter's voices interact); but if you guys decided to opt out of full verses in harsh vocals for any artistic reason or for reason of reception (because a lot of people were turned off by them), that's fine by me. I just need more delicious music out of the JLB/MG/current stellar bandmates camp.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1020 on: June 15, 2013, 01:40:37 PM »
I feel similar. The interaction between the clean and harsh vocals on SI worked very well. I'm not a fan of pure screaming albums, but I really like the dynamics they can add if used thoughtfully.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1021 on: June 15, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
It's good to have you here, Matt. While you're around, is there anything you can tell us about the new album? How prevalent are the harsh vocals? Is the album going to be a continuation of the sound on Static Impulse, or will it be something else entirely?

Hi Shadow:

The screaming is still very much there. I would also say that I think the album is much more balanced and dynamic overall. The material is very strong and catchy. These are some of James' best performances vocally (in my opinion) James and I are super stoked with how it came out.

If there are any other questions about this or even our past records, I'd be happy to answer them.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1022 on: June 15, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
 :metal

Excited to hear it!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1023 on: June 15, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »

Hi Shadow:

The screaming is still very much there. I would also say that I think the album is much more balanced and dynamic overall. The material is very strong and catchy. These are some of James' best performances vocally (in my opinion) James and I are super stoked with how it came out.

If there are any other questions about this or even our past records, I'd be happy to answer them.

Cheers,
Matt

Super classy, Matt. And welcome to DTF as others have said.
What do you mean when you say much more balanced?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1024 on: June 15, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »

Hi Shadow:

Cheers,
Matt

B.Lee

Static Impulse was a full-on metal assault with minimal dynamics. The new record has that solid metal foundation but it breathes better because theres a larger focus on ambience and mood and I feel it contributes to a more balanced sound overall.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1025 on: June 15, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »

Hi Shadow:

Cheers,
Matt

B.Lee

Static Impulse was a full-on metal assault with minimal dynamics. The new record has that solid metal foundation but it breathes better because theres a larger focus on ambience and mood and I feel it contributes to a more balanced sound overall.

:caffeine:

more along the lines of Elements? Or am I completely off?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1026 on: June 15, 2013, 03:16:17 PM »

Hi Shadow:

Cheers,
Matt

B.Lee

:caffeine:

more along the lines of Elements? Or am I completely off?

I would say continuing where Static Impulse left off but perhaps more refined sounding and balanced. Of course you all will have to draw your own conclusion though. :)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1027 on: June 15, 2013, 03:20:27 PM »
Sounds good to me, as Static Impulse was one of my favorite albums. I'm a big fan of the harsh vocals, so you'll hear no complaints from me regarding that.

I don't really have any other questions  :lol but thanks for hanging around. Really looking forward to this album. :metal :metal
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:16:07 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1028 on: June 15, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »
You could see my musical boner from space now :lol

I'd just like to ask - it's probably waaaaaay too early to tell but is there any desire/plans to do any sort of touring in support of the new record?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1029 on: June 15, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »
Well, right now I have no questions, but I want to thank you for taking the time to show up and answer to some question and join the ranks of those who welcome you to this fiery pit of madness.  :laugh:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline philmcson

« Reply #1030 on: June 15, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »
Overall, I think it's great they've kept Peter's screams, and although there's nothing bad in SI (I absolutely love the full-metal assault) it'll be very interesting to hear how "the new record which has that solid metal foundation but breathes better because there's a larger focus on ambience and mood contributing to a more balanced sound overall" will sound.

I'm damn sure it'll be a top 10 album of 2013  :metal

Offline TL

« Reply #1031 on: June 15, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
Now I'm even more stoked for this album than before.
While I was skeptical about the harsh vocals before Static Impulse was released, they were used very well on that record.

I'm just going to say, the uses of 'ambiance', 'mood', and 'balanced' have me very excited about where this album is going to go musically.

I guess if I had any questions, since you're here, it would be if James has any epic, high-note type moments on this record. I'm stoked about it regardless; I just figured I'd ask.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1032 on: June 15, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »
Hi Matt, welcome to the forum, great to have you here!

I realize you either may not know for sure or be able to tell us if you do, but after cancellation of the last tour I have to ask, are there any plans to try and hit the road this time around?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1033 on: June 15, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »
Re: Touring

There is most definitely a desire by all of us to tour - especially considering that the Static Impulse tour plans didn't work out. (omg major bummer!) I think it's a little too early to tell at this point. There's a lot of logistics involved in setting up a tour, but if the right opportunity presents itself and makes sense for everyone involved, we definitely will! Stay tuned!  :metal

Re: James singing "epic high notes"

Ha ha ha... Let me just say this... There are a lot of epic James moments, and it's not just limited to high notes.

Cheers,
Matt
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:29:38 PM by Matt »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1034 on: June 15, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »
This might be kind of reaching, but what are some of the lyrical themes on the new album?

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1035 on: June 16, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »
Welcome dude! :metal
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1036 on: June 16, 2013, 12:22:55 AM »
Matt! 

First of all, major props on all your work with James.  I feel like the albums just keep getting better (although Elements of Persuasion is probably my personal favorite).

Can you fill us in on the recording process.  I was a little surprised that the solo album and the Dream Theater album were recorded almost simultaneously.  Did you guys record separately from James and he did his vocals in Canada like last time?

Also, can you let us know how many song lyrics were written by you or James. 

Can't wait to hear this stuff! 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1037 on: June 16, 2013, 01:38:41 AM »

Hi Shadow:

Cheers,
Matt

B.Lee

Thanks a lot for the answer! Wow! Super classy (I know i'm repeating myself :P)

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: June 16, 2013, 04:01:13 AM »
Amazing to have you here Matt, that is super cool and means so much to all of us.

I'm happy with whatever the new record brings, there's Peter's harsh vocals so I'm a happy man, no matter what.  And of course Marco back in the fold is awesome, definitely one of the most underrated guitar players over the last 5 years.  If anyone hasn't checked out his solo work do it, There's Hope was incredible and the most recent one was awesome too.

Not to sound like a fan boy but Matt, all I wanna say is that Static Impulse was THE album of 2010. And EOP is in my top 50 albums of all time.  IR is possibly now my most anticipated record of this year.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: June 16, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »
From JLB's Twitter:

"First single 'Agony' streamed next Wednesday on UK's Metal Hammer site. Raaaaaaaaawk!!!"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1040 on: June 16, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
Thanks for updates Matt :)
I can't wait to hear your new material, SI was epic and and I hope Impermanent Resonance will be great as well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:27:19 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1041 on: June 16, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »
Matt, thank you for the infos. Glad we have you there.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1042 on: June 16, 2013, 10:29:44 AM »
Matt! 

First of all, major props on all your work with James.  I feel like the albums just keep getting better (although Elements of Persuasion is probably my personal favorite).

Can you fill us in on the recording process.  I was a little surprised that the solo album and the Dream Theater album were recorded almost simultaneously.  Did you guys record separately from James and he did his vocals in Canada like last time?

Also, can you let us know how many song lyrics were written by you or James. 

Can't wait to hear this stuff!

Writing began for the new record back in late 2011. Our process is a little different than DT. I prefer that we demo our songs to the point where our demos sound as close to the finished album as possible. So when we go into the studio to record, it's strictly a matter of execution as opposed to writing/being creative. This makes the recording process real fast because the blueprint is right there for everyone. Despite the DT album production going on, James was still able to go into the studio (in Canada) and knock these songs out. James' lead vocals took about two weeks btw.

Lyrically, it's appx 50/50. 14 Songs total (if you get the version with bonus tracks)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: June 16, 2013, 10:36:17 AM »

Lyrically, it's appx 50/50. 14 Songs total (if you get the version with bonus tracks)

Can't wait! I'll buy the bonus edition whenever they pop up on Amazon.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: June 16, 2013, 10:37:22 AM »
14 Songs total (if you get the version with bonus tracks)

Wooo!!! I will definitely buy this!!  :eek 

Thanks to Matt for the facts!  :tup

And this! I'm excited!!

From JLB's Twitter:

"First single 'Agony' streamed next Wednesday on UK's Metal Hammer site. Raaaaaaaaawk!!!"
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1045 on: June 16, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
Not to sound like a fan boy but Matt, all I wanna say is that Static Impulse was THE album of 2010. And EOP is in my top 50 albums of all time.  IR is possibly now my most anticipated record of this year.

Thank you Wolfking! Very kind of you to say.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1046 on: June 16, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »

Writing began for the new record back in late 2011. Our process is a little different than DT. I prefer that we demo our songs to the point where our demos sound as close to the finished album as possible. So when we go into the studio to record, it's strictly a matter of execution as opposed to writing/being creative. This makes the recording process real fast because the blueprint is right there for everyone. Despite the DT album production going on, James was still able to go into the studio (in Canada) and knock these songs out. James' lead vocals took about two weeks btw.

Nice...this answers my question about whether there will be a bonus edition....of course, if it is released on Inside Out it should go without saying that there will be

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1047 on: June 16, 2013, 10:46:38 AM »
Listening to Static Impulse for the first time in a while and I'd forgotten how overall strong the entire album is. Definitely getting me pumped for IR. 

Awesome to have you here answering all these questions, Matt.  :tup

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1048 on: June 16, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
Can't wait! I'll buy the bonus edition whenever they pop up on Amazon.

They already have. At least on amazon.de, not sure about the others.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1049 on: June 16, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »
From JLB's Twitter:

Now, THIS is good news!!! Bananas!!!!

B.Lee