Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411171 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: James LaBrie: Imperfect Resonance (with Cover Art)
« Reply #910 on: June 04, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »
The album cover reminds me of Static Impulse and the album title reminds me of the Arch/Matheos album title. 

My exact same reactions!

Maybe an ode to the Arch Matheos album? I also think the Arch Matheos album cover has a similar theme like the burning/flaming body (JLB's has the flaming faces)

Wow, good catch.  Yeah, this is now really really similar to Arch/Matheos. 

So, they are releasing the album in August.  If I recall correctly, they didn't tour on Static Impulse because of visa issues.  I'm sure JLB will be touring with DT in the fall, so I wonder if they will squeeze in JLB tour dates in the late summer before a DT tour begins.  Otherwise, they might have to wait a while.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (with Cover Art)
« Reply #911 on: June 04, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »
So, they are releasing the album in August.  If I recall correctly, they didn't tour on Static Impulse because of visa issues.  I'm sure JLB will be touring with DT in the fall, so I wonder if they will squeeze in JLB tourdates in the late summer before a DT tour begins.

That would be awesome, but there may not be enough time depending on when DT is planning to go out on tour.  I COULD, however, see a short tour before the end of the year since DT may not be planning their tour until later on this year/early next.

Offline krands85

« Reply #912 on: June 04, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
Pretty psyched for this. It should make the wait for the new DT album go a bit quicker!
That's what I thought.  :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #913 on: June 04, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
Even if they don't do anything big (which they likely wouldn't), they could potential squeeze in a dozen or so dates over 3 weeks by just hitting a few major markets like:  If they hit 10-15 of the top 25 metro areas, that would be a decent tour:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

I could see them picking some shows in just the following areas:
East:  NYC, Philly, Boston, D.C./Baltimore
West:  L.A., San Francisco, Vegas, Denver
Midwest:  Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Minneapolis
That's 12 right there.  And there are good-sized markets in Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami they could hit as well (not to mention a couple of Canadian dates). 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:32:17 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #914 on: June 04, 2013, 12:28:50 PM »
That's kind of what I was thinking of - just a short tour, hitting the hotter spots.  Nothing in-depth.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #915 on: June 04, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
Not too crazy about the fact that there's gonna be more of Peter Wildoer's screams in this one, but hopefully, he won't be doing anymore actual verses like in "One More Time" or "This Is War".
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #916 on: June 04, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
I've been waiting for a tour since 2010 when that tour fizzled out.

-here's where I rant about my buddy who was opening up for him and I had an all access back stage pass for the venue yada yada-
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TL

« Reply #917 on: June 04, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
Color me excited. The other Mullmuzzler and JLB Band records have all been aces. I was skeptical about the harsh vocals last time around, but Static Impulse ended up being great.

Offline Metal

« Reply #918 on: June 04, 2013, 02:19:38 PM »
This one has been on my radar for a while.  Can't wait to hear what they came up with this time around.  More Wildoer/Guillory + the inclusion of Wichers should make this a damn good metal album.  I bet James gets a kick out of how surprised people are when they hear that he makes metal albums like these.  Static Impulse had more balls than the past 3 DT albums combined.   
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #919 on: June 04, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »
Static Impulse had more balls than the past 3 DT albums combined.   

Interesting theory, seeing as how you described Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds (2 of the past 3 DT albums) as being very "metal" albums about a year ago.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #920 on: June 04, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »
I don't think DT will tour until January, so JLB could easily fit in a NA leg AND a European leg if it were feasible. Would love to see him at an intimate London venue (like my flat...).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #921 on: June 04, 2013, 02:29:39 PM »
If he does tour after release,  it'd be smart to go to Europe. No visa problems to deal with.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #922 on: June 04, 2013, 02:32:34 PM »
I think he'd get bigger crowds than in the US, in mainland Europe at least. I'd expect him to play somewhere like Islington or The Garage in London, venues I'm sure he'd fill.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #923 on: June 04, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »
I know they're not coming over here, so I am voting for the crowds with the best recording devices.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #924 on: June 04, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
Well, many variables to figure out. With an album released in September it's quite possible that the band will decide to start the tour before the new year. That happened for SFAM, ADTOE, Awake and FII.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #925 on: June 04, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »
It did, but JP (I can't remember if it was in an interview or one of those RR questions) seemed pretty uncertain, and I think January is a safer bet than the autumn for the start of the DT tour. But we'll see.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #926 on: June 04, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »
With James digging super heavy metal music, you'd think he and MP would have been closer than they apparently were. I'd be surprised that JLB didn't ask MP to drum on his solo stuff if it wasn't probably because he thought the "MP choke hold" would cross over to his own solo stuff too. haha.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Mladen

« Reply #927 on: June 04, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
Extremely exciting news! I don't really like the album cover, but everything else looks awesome and I'm very happy that it's coming out so soon.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: June 04, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »
I've been thinking about this all day, and I think JLB and Matt should change the album title and cover.  It too closely resembles the artwork and title of Arch Matheos' album, Sympathethic Resonance, which was just released in 2011.  While I'm sure lots of albums in the music industry have similar images and titles, Dream Theater and Fates Warning are two bands that have been very closely linked over the past 25 years.  It feels lame that the artwork and titles are so similar.  It makes me feel like this new JLB album isn't breaking new ground and is just regurgitating things already done, starting with the artwork and title which have already been done by a band closely associated to Dream Theater.  Maybe Matt isn't a big Fates Warning guy, so it's possible he's not aware of it.  But someone along the way should've picked up on the similarities and modified the artwork and title.  Just my opinion. 

JAMES LABRIE - IMPERMANENT RESONANCE (2013)

ARCH/MATHEOS - SYMPATHETIC RESONANCE (2011)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:42:53 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #929 on: June 04, 2013, 04:58:03 PM »
I'm not particularly attached to the title, but I'd hate to see that cover go.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #930 on: June 04, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »
Well imperfect resonance does continue the same style as SI. And the only similarity between those album covers is the flames. I like it, and don't really see how they so similar they need to change either.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: James LaBrie: Imperfect Resonance (with Cover Art)
« Reply #931 on: June 04, 2013, 05:35:14 PM »
Looking forward to this. I hope the screams are kept to a minimum.

Let's lose the screams altogether.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #932 on: June 04, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »
The screams are rad, I say a moderate amount is just fine!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #933 on: June 04, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »
I've been thinking about this all day, and I think JLB and Matt should change the album title and cover.  It too closely resembles the artwork and title of Arch Matheos' album, Sympathethic Resonance, which was just released in 2011.  While I'm sure lots of albums in the music industry have similar images and titles, Dream Theater and Fates Warning are two bands that have been very closely linked over the past 25 years.  It feels lame that the artwork and titles are so similar.  It makes me feel like this new JLB album isn't breaking new ground and is just regurgitating things already done, starting with the artwork and title which have already been done by a band closely associated to Dream Theater.  Maybe Matt isn't a big Fates Warning guy, so it's possible he's not aware of it.  But someone along the way should've picked up on the similarities and modified the artwork and title.  Just my opinion. 

heh, it's nothing compared to the similarities between Symphony X's V and Spock's Beard's V.  Both albums even had the same name!  Both were released in the second half of 2000.  Both covers are remarkably similar (desert scene, blood red sky).  Both bands are progressive in nature and were both signed to Inside Out at the time, which makes it even doubly weird - you would think the label would have wanted to avoid people possibly confusing the albums.  Both albums are the fifth by each band and the total lengths of the albums differ by a mere 11 seconds.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #934 on: June 04, 2013, 07:46:44 PM »
The screams are radular, I say a moderate amount is just fine!

FTFY :biggrin:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #935 on: June 04, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #936 on: June 04, 2013, 09:57:53 PM »
Looking forward to this. I hope the screams are kept to a minimum.

Let's lose the screams altogether.

That would be fantastic, although I don't see it happening.

Well imperfect resonance does continue the same style as SI. And the only similarity between those album covers is the flames. I like it, and don't really see how they so similar they need to change either.

I say they should change the title, just because it's so bad that nobody appears to be able to remember it correctly. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #937 on: June 04, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »
Haha I just realized that. Imperfect sounds better.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: June 05, 2013, 03:02:34 AM »
Incredible news, seriously can't wait.  IMO, the more screams the better.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: June 05, 2013, 03:13:02 AM »
Incredible news, seriously can't wait.  IMO, the more screams the better.  :metal
^ yup, I'm with screams :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #940 on: June 05, 2013, 05:49:30 AM »
Looking forward to it! :tup

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: June 05, 2013, 07:46:14 AM »
Static Impulse is probably my favorite release (side project/solo) by any member of DT. Hopefully this continues in the same vein.
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #942 on: June 05, 2013, 08:01:59 AM »
About the album title and cover:

One word the same in the title, and the JLB album has a completely different visual effect to it. It's not like the JLB album has one firey guy in the middle of the cover and nothing else. Little bit of overthinking here.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: June 05, 2013, 08:57:37 AM »
It's a plausible similarity, but compared to the Spock's Beard V/SyX V case, or the case of the cover of ADTOE sharing the stock image of the unicyclist with a Circus Maximus album (forgot which), it's really not a big deal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #944 on: June 05, 2013, 09:23:49 AM »
Also somewhat similar to Arch/Matheos Sympathetic Resonance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol