Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411277 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: James LaBrie's Static Impulse/solo material discussion
« Reply #840 on: May 03, 2013, 04:24:52 AM »
I normally don't like the "screaming" vocal style at all, but I don't mind it on Static Impulse. Wildoer isn't the lead vocalist, which I think helps me to like the album a lot, and I like the juxtaposition and call/response between Wildoer and LaBrie. There are still moments where it's a bit much for me, but I like songs themselves enough that I easily get past it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #841 on: May 03, 2013, 04:43:02 AM »
I normally don't like the "screaming" vocal style at all, but I don't mind it on Static Impulse. Wildoer isn't the lead vocalist, which I think helps me to like the album a lot, and I like the juxtaposition and call/response between Wildoer and LaBrie. There are still moments where it's a bit much for me, but I like songs themselves enough that I easily get past it.
Pretty much this. A whole album of it would be too much, but I really enjoy the way it's brought into Static Impulse. If the quality remains high for the new album then I couldn't care what style they use really!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #842 on: May 03, 2013, 04:55:54 AM »
The harsh vocals have a lot to do with establishing balance between the pop (or, rock) and metal in that record, which was done superbly. On the surface level, I am accustomed to bands alternating between cleans and growls in modern metal, and I am used to that effect, but whenever I listen to Static Impulse, I am reminded of how it exactly works and why is it so overdone as a formula (answer: because it's successful).

Modern melodeath/Gothenburg metal is quite similar to pop in terms of structures, catchiness and repetitiveness, both within the genre itself and within one album because the formula is so precisely defined. The riffs (mind you, I'm talking about the modern variant of the genre here) are often more melodic than in most other genres of metal, and when the (relative) lightness of it all is put against harsh vocals, you get an interesting product, which is why there is a ridiculous overload of bands in the genre - people just find that interesting and it's easy to emulate.

Static Impulse goes one step beyond most of those modern bands - the drumming tends to be more aggressive than usual, the harsh vocals are slightly more varied, there's shredding both on the guitar and on keyboards, but those aggressive elements are not only downplayed by the "regular" pop sensibility of modern metal, but also by the extreeeeemely catchy choruses (I rarely hear something as catchy as Mislead or One More Time), by Matt bringing some more modern overtones on keys, by having very simple, non-evil or anything like that, down-to-earth lyrics growled, which is quite fresh and interesting, and by putting straight up pop songs (Euphoric) on the record. Now that is one interesting playground for James, and I think it becomes him perfectly.

I mean, I'm not saying it's a really original album, both in general and in the genre, but it just goes one step beyond what you can normally hear in modern metal when it comes to maintaining that fine balance - the edge of the blade is sharper, and of course, it helps having such interesting players and one of the best voices around to make it really work.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #843 on: May 03, 2013, 05:01:19 AM »
I love Wildoer's vox on SI. It gives the album a harder edge. But, indeed, it's the interplay between Peter's and James's voices that does it for me.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #844 on: May 03, 2013, 06:17:19 AM »
Great post Milena, very nicely put!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: May 03, 2013, 07:04:14 AM »
Why thank you Rich.

I forgot how Facebook shares work, so the consequence is that Peter Wildoer saw and liked my " :heart :heart Peter" comment on Nem's share of his post :blush :blush :blush

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #846 on: May 03, 2013, 07:14:46 AM »
I'm friends with Peter on facebook, from when he posted here loads around the time of the DT drummer auditions. Ah, good times!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: May 03, 2013, 07:28:26 AM »
My interest in both this album and DT's is slightly diminished by their previous albums, although I'm much more optimistic about DT's next album than this one.
As soon as I got to "screaming vocals", I lost hope for this one. I like Wildoer's deep growls, but not his regular shouty vocals. Maybe Static Impulse would be an ok album if I could get past them, but I just can't at all. :dunno:

Blob, no offense, but I think you're the only person I've ever seen on this forum who's gotten less interested in DT over time for all the wrong reasons ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #848 on: May 03, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »
My interest in both this album and DT's is slightly diminished by their previous albums, although I'm much more optimistic about DT's next album than this one.
As soon as I got to "screaming vocals", I lost hope for this one. I like Wildoer's deep growls, but not his regular shouty vocals. Maybe Static Impulse would be an ok album if I could get past them, but I just can't at all. :dunno:

Blob, no offense, but I think you're the only person I've ever seen on this forum who's gotten less interested in DT over time for all the wrong reasons ;)

Luckily I don't go by your opinion of "wrong", I have my own mind. ADTOE is the first time since I got into DT in 2003 that I have lost interest in DT. I haven't even listened to the album since 2011. There was very little staying power on that album for me, so this next album is going to be an important one.
And there are plenty of people on the forum who weren't any more interested in ADTOE than any previous albums, incidentally the same disinterested people who don't frequent DT side anymore.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: May 03, 2013, 07:36:56 AM »
Luckily I don't go by your opinion of "wrong", I have my own mind. ADTOE is the first time since I got into DT in 2003 that I have lost interest in DT. I haven't even listened to the album since 2011. There was very little staying power on that album for me, so this next album is going to be an important one.
And there are plenty of people on the forum who weren't any more interested in ADTOE than any previous albums, incidentally the same disinterested people who don't frequent DT side anymore.

It's.. .. it's like you are in my head...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: May 03, 2013, 08:46:48 AM »
Blob, I was just messing with you. Why so serious?

Anyway, I thought ADTOE was worlds better than the 4 DT albums preceding it, but yeah, I discovered way too much new music during the dark age between ToT-BC&SL to completely turn back to exclusive DT listening again. Though, to be fair, ADTOE it did confirm why I still consider them one of my favorites, and that had been starting to slip.

I do love that the Dreamtallica phase finally seems to be over.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #851 on: May 03, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »
I can still say I am almost more excited for this than DT...

Static Impulse goes one step beyond most of those modern bands - the drumming tends to be more aggressive than usual, the harsh vocals are slightly more varied, there's shredding both on the guitar and on keyboards, but those aggressive elements are not only downplayed by the "regular" pop sensibility of modern metal, but also by the extreeeeemely catchy choruses (I rarely hear something as catchy as Mislead or One More Time), by Matt bringing some more modern overtones on keys, by having very simple, non-evil or anything like that, down-to-earth lyrics growled, which is quite fresh and interesting, and by putting straight up pop songs (Euphoric) on the record. Now that is one interesting playground for James, and I think it becomes him perfectly.

I mean, I'm not saying it's a really original album, both in general and in the genre, but it just goes one step beyond what you can normally hear in modern metal when it comes to maintaining that fine balance - the edge of the blade is sharper, and of course, it helps having such interesting players and one of the best voices around to make it really work.

My feelings exactly... hit the hammer on the head with this post
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #852 on: May 03, 2013, 01:27:20 PM »
Pretty much this. A whole album of it would be too much, but I really enjoy the way it's brought into Static Impulse. If the quality remains high for the new album then I couldn't care what style they use really!

This.

And that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #853 on: May 03, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »

Exactly.

*total spot on post by our resident ghost*

You made a fair amount of damn fine points there, gal - I salute yas. :2metal:

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #854 on: May 12, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »
Matt Guillory posted this on Facebook!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: May 12, 2013, 07:34:13 PM »
:cjs:

I highly approve of Matt's post and that smiley. Bring on the new album!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: May 12, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »
Fuck yeah, this sounds incredible, bring it on NOW!!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #858 on: May 12, 2013, 07:56:40 PM »
New DT live album, new DT studio album, and new JLB album.....HOLY SHIT.

Now we just need a JLB live album.  My crappy bootleg isn't cutting it

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #859 on: May 12, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
Someone needs to steal Matt Guillory's phone. :|

Offline r0cken

« Reply #860 on: May 13, 2013, 02:29:50 AM »
The screaming doesn't kill it for me completely, but it ruins half the fun. I love James' vocals, and I want to hear him sing on his solo albums.
Oh I don't know... I just don't like any of those modern metal vocals, they all sound like barking to me.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: May 13, 2013, 08:10:34 AM »
*volunteers*

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #862 on: May 13, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »
*volunteers*

Get to it Milena ;)
May The Force Be With You.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #863 on: May 13, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: May 13, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »
Do I use charm or extortion? :lol
Seriously, though, Matt, if via the wonders of the internet you are reading this, there is a girl in Serbia who wants to hear that album right now. :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: May 13, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »
I think that out of all of us DTFers... you should hear it first :tup

Because you are probably more obsessed with James than anyone else on these boards
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: May 13, 2013, 03:57:50 PM »
Because you are probably more obsessed with James than anyone else on these boards
You are both overestimating my obsession and underestimating other individuals on board :D

Honestly though, if I made a list of my favorite musicians, James would be in the top 5, and he is an endless source of fascination and inspiration to me. Before I got into his solo albums, I figured I wouldn't like them and that they'd have "side-project with no band vibe" written all over them, so I was very, very pleasantly surprised to see he's made some fresh and interesting, cohesive albums.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: May 15, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »
Cant wait for this album.  I never listened to the old JLB stuff, but Static Impulse and Elements of Persuasion are great albums.  I think I like Static Impulse more so that makes me even more excited for this album.  Also, just excited to hear some new tunes with Jame's voice on them. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #868 on: May 16, 2013, 11:48:44 AM »

Violet and I would like to disagree with you, mister. :angry:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: May 16, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »

Violet and I would like to disagree with you, mister. :angry:

Voilet has to be here to argue her case...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #870 on: May 16, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Whatever happened to Violet?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: May 16, 2013, 03:22:07 PM »
I've been wondering that for a while now. I miss our little snake girl

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #872 on: May 17, 2013, 01:53:28 AM »
Whatever happened to Violet?

I wish I knew - I miss seeing her around. :'(

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: May 17, 2013, 06:16:01 PM »
She hasn't been online since Jan :(

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #874 on: May 17, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »
I know. :'(