Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 408863 times)

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
Re: James LaBrie's Solo Material - new material (merged)
« Reply #350 on: August 25, 2010, 04:21:25 PM »
IMO this album sounds far more predicable and less interesting than EoP, even the JLB bits arn't really doing it for me :-\
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #351 on: August 25, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
I've really been liking this track.  Hope the rest of the album is along the same lines.

Alex

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #352 on: August 25, 2010, 04:31:51 PM »
I think this break for the band will pay big dividends for Dream Theater.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #353 on: August 25, 2010, 04:36:50 PM »
Wow, I Need You is really great :omg:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: James LaBrie's Solo Material - new song!
« Reply #354 on: August 25, 2010, 04:53:34 PM »
Man, I'm not liking the sound of this new album so far.

This. I like this track more than the first, but that isn't saying much considering bacon-wrapped shit is still shit.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #355 on: August 25, 2010, 05:22:24 PM »

This. I like this track more than the first, but that isn't saying much considering bacon-wrapped shit is still shit.

This; and melodic death metal (which is way too close to deathcore) is the crappiest sub-genre of death metal so they're really not doing themselves any favors by promoting their sound that way (IMO). And why does everyone name-drop friggin' Akerfeldt when attempting to describe growling? There were great growlers long before he came around but I guess their music was not watered-down and commercial enough like Opeth's to be remembered?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #356 on: August 25, 2010, 05:26:37 PM »
WTF ^

Offline nakedman

• I will choose free will.
  • "Bitch I look like Goku" - Soulja Boi
« Reply #357 on: August 25, 2010, 06:18:14 PM »

This; and melodic death metal (which is way too close to deathcore) is the crappiest sub-genre of death metal so they're really not doing themselves any favors by promoting their sound that way (IMO). And why does everyone name-drop friggin' Akerfeldt when attempting to describe growling? There were great growlers long before he came around but I guess their music was not watered-down and commercial enough like Opeth's to be remembered?

Have you heard Bloodbath, or are they too watered-down?
Goin to the lite until we meet again<br />Thats what the Korinians say again and again..<br />Light years and light years..<br />don\'t wanna shed more tears..

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #358 on: August 25, 2010, 06:19:33 PM »
WTF ^

No he's right. Any form of death metal that is actually well thought, and doesn't consist solely of fast drumming, yelling and generic dark riffs is not real death metal. And having a recording that doesn't sound like it was the bands first run through at their friends garage recorded with two mics, then jesus christ.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #359 on: August 25, 2010, 06:25:55 PM »
WTF ^

No he's right. Any form of death metal that is actually well thought, and doesn't consist solely of fast drumming, yelling and generic dark riffs is not real death metal. And having a recording that doesn't sound like it was the bands first run through at their friends garage recorded with two mics, then jesus christ.
:lol Well put.

???

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2010, 07:04:18 PM »

Simply put, Akerfeldt is the most well known around these parts. Most people here don't know who people like Chris Barnes, David Vincent, George Fisher, Glen Benton, or Chuck Schuldiner are. Obviously there are exceptions, but since Opeth is one of the more popular bands here, Akerfeldt is your go-to-guy for death growls.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
... people like Chris Barnes, David Vincent, George "BULLNECK" Fisher, Glen.....
fix'd

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #362 on: August 25, 2010, 08:12:30 PM »
I don't know why I've never listened to any of his solo work (or JP's, for that matter), but I really like I Need You a lot.
I followed the link of the OP and checked out One More Time as well, and if it weren't for the growling bits I would have loved that song. His choruses are great. I'll have to pick some of his stuff up.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: August 25, 2010, 09:13:35 PM »
Didn't like 'I Need You'.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: August 25, 2010, 11:08:37 PM »
I Need You is certainly more accessible than One More Time on the first listen, but it'll take several more before I can pass any real judgments on it.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #365 on: August 26, 2010, 06:48:10 AM »
Ok. To sum up, for those of you who cannot read French : (note this is NOT my opinion)

Keyboard sounds are horrible.
Screaming passages horrible too.
James is not bad but has his "nasal" voice ; melodies sometimes really bad
Sounds like the bad DT of late (sound and compositions)

Technically good

Some tracks are good but all in all too many bad things.

Conclusion : musically uninspired, artistically poor (lyrics are meh). The reviewer doesn't want to listen to it again.

Ouch!!!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #366 on: August 26, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
Keyboard sounds a horrible? Guillori is one of my favorite keyboardist, his sounds are fantastic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: August 26, 2010, 11:32:34 AM »
Ok. To sum up, for those of you who cannot read French : (note this is NOT my opinion)

Technically good

Conclusion : musically uninspired, artistically poor (lyrics are meh). The reviewer doesn't want to listen to it again.

Ouch!!!

Although I hardly doubt the album will be that bad based on the two songs we've heard so far...that's just brutal!
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #368 on: August 26, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »
Well, based on the two songs we've heard:

Keyboards sound great.
Harsh vocals are utilised well.
JLB sounds good and not nasal.
Sounds nothing like DT whatsoever.

So I'm guessing that reviewer is just ignorant. I'm going to wait for some proper reviews.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: August 26, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
My girlfriend translated it for me. I love her, but be wary, her French is questionable  :D

-The synth sounds are terrible, I do not like them at all!

-As for the growling parts- when you do not know how [to growl properly] and the music does not lend itself to growling, it fails… especially because it does not mesh with James' voice very well.

-This last thing isn't as big as an issue, but [James] has a tendency to make that unbearably nasal voice, and the lines of the song sometimes sound calamitous (the refrain of “I Need You”, help!)…

-It sounds a lot like the bad newer DT stuff on many occasions, both in sounds and in compounds, whereas EOP had surprised many people, ditto for Mullmuzzler etc.

Regardless, the playing is very technical (drum parts are violent here and there, some very good solos), but without the name of James on the cover it would have been a rotten album among many others, and I am convinced I would have never listened to it.

There are a few good songs. “Over The Edge” is for me a saving grace, others like “Superstar” or “Euphoric” are pretty good too, but there is always an icky synth sound or a passage sung in nu-metal that really any schmuck just as good at doing skateboard tricks as singing emo music could have done. It makes me want to press skip or even stop completely.

… Musically it’s at best not inspired, artistically it’s poor. I probably will not return. Hopefully they will not assign me an article on Music Waves, otherwise the poor James will be sacked.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #370 on: August 26, 2010, 02:26:28 PM »

Technically good

Ouch!!!

Sounds about right.

Offline nakedman

• I will choose free will.
  • "Bitch I look like Goku" - Soulja Boi
« Reply #371 on: August 26, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
Those reviews are a bit harsh, but I agree about some of it based on the songs I have heard. I liked the songs at first but they get a little old. I will however give this album a chance, but from what I have heard it would take a few songs as good as Slightly Out of Reach to save it.
Goin to the lite until we meet again<br />Thats what the Korinians say again and again..<br />Light years and light years..<br />don\'t wanna shed more tears..

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #372 on: August 27, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »
For me, the tracks I've heard have no replay value. It's not bad at all but simply forgettable. OK they wanted to appeal to a new audience and all, but IMO, they've lost something on the way.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #373 on: August 28, 2010, 05:24:46 AM »
I Need You is OK, but I liked One More Time a lot more.  Can't wait for the full album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #374 on: August 28, 2010, 05:41:16 AM »
I don't I'll enjoy this album if all the song have the screams in them. There is just nothing for me to sing too. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: August 28, 2010, 06:29:43 AM »
I don't I'll enjoy this album if all the song have the screams in them. There is just nothing for me to sing too. 

:lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #376 on: August 28, 2010, 07:18:36 AM »
I think the first song is much better than this one, but I'm still hesitant to buy this.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #377 on: August 28, 2010, 09:37:56 AM »
I don't I'll enjoy this album
I don't I'll either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #378 on: August 28, 2010, 11:17:34 AM »
My girlfriend translated it for me. I love her, but be wary, her French is questionable  :D

-The synth sounds are terrible, I do not like them at all!

-As for the growling parts- when you do not know how [to growl properly] and the music does not lend itself to growling, it fails… especially because it does not mesh with James' voice very well.

-This last thing isn't as big as an issue, but [James] has a tendency to make that unbearably nasal voice, and the lines of the song sometimes sound calamitous (the refrain of “I Need You”, help!)…

-It sounds a lot like the bad newer DT stuff on many occasions, both in sounds and in compounds, whereas EOP had surprised many people, ditto for Mullmuzzler etc.

Regardless, the playing is very technical (drum parts are violent here and there, some very good solos), but without the name of James on the cover it would have been a rotten album among many others, and I am convinced I would have never listened to it.

There are a few good songs. “Over The Edge” is for me a saving grace, others like “Superstar” or “Euphoric” are pretty good too, but there is always an icky synth sound or a passage sung in nu-metal that really any schmuck just as good at doing skateboard tricks as singing emo music could have done. It makes me want to press skip or even stop completely.

… Musically it’s at best not inspired, artistically it’s poor. I probably will not return. Hopefully they will not assign me an article on Music Waves, otherwise the poor James will be sacked.

The bolded above is where I lost all respect for the reviewer.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #379 on: August 28, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »
I think the first song is much better than this one, but I'm still hesitant to buy this.
Hesitation will triumph! :tup

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #380 on: August 28, 2010, 11:42:59 AM »
damn i just heard the song and I think it's catchy as hell. Don't mind the harsh vocals.

Love the part:
"Sent crazy shivers up and down my SPIIIIIIINNE"

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #381 on: August 29, 2010, 04:07:32 AM »
Honestly, I don't know if I will buy it. And yet, JLB is the reason why I still listen to DT. "I'm lost! Show me the way..."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: August 29, 2010, 04:29:42 AM »
Honestly, I don't know if I will buy it. And yet, JLB is the reason why I still listen to DT. "I'm lost! Show me the way..."

Just buy the damn thing!!!!!!

:tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #383 on: August 29, 2010, 06:40:09 AM »
I don't I'll buy it tbh.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: August 31, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »
The final result is just as mixed as people's perceptions of what it actually is supposed to be. For people who don't listen to growls or harsh music, it comes across as being much greater than the normal Portnoy tough-guy vocals. For people who like growls and harsh music, its too watered down to be impressive.

I don’t listen to ‘harsh music’ at all, and I wouldn’t say the ANtR section comes across as greater than normal Portnoy tough-guy vocals at all.

On topic… I like this new song much more than the first one released, but still not enough on first listen to convince me I’ll need to purchase this.

And that Guillory guy does an awesome impression of Stephen Baldwin   

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'