Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 407580 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: James LaBrie's Solo Material - new song!
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 12:38:54 PM »
It's better than any growls or tough-guy vocals in any DT song.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
There aren't any growls in DT's music. On topic: I haven't heard the song, but the screaming disappoints me.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 12:49:13 PM »
James sounds great! But I don't get why a singer would make a solo album and then get someone else to sing for him for a big part of it.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »
James sounds great! But I don't get why a singer would make a solo album and then get someone else to sing for him for a big part of it.
I think that's kind of a good thing, in some ways. Means it's not so much a vanity thing as he wanted to write some serious music.

I think it's quite refreshing when solo artists are out to write music for music's sake, rather than to show off a bit and sing all over it. Shows that he's written this album cause he wants to write an album, not write a solo work.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
Argh.  Was going to check this out, but probably won't even bother now.  I really, really can't stand screaming and harsh vocals, and no amount of musical awesomeness will make up for that.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 01:06:08 PM »
Everyone who doesn't this song should listen to it with studio-quality headphones on like 3 or 4 more times. It's FANTASTIC.

MY HEADPHONES THEY DO NOTHING!!!!

Tried it with my headphones on and I don't like it even more.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
James LaBrie forumers also seem to love it or else just seem hesistant/willing to give the rest of the album a try. Favorite post I saw there so far:

It may come interesting who are not fan of scream or harsh vocal but this song has a great atmosphere with two different voice. Surely, there are many songs that James takes our head off. 
https://www.jameslabrie.com/forum/index.php?topic=688.msg9428#msg9428

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 01:15:17 PM »
James LaBrie forumers also seem to love it or else just seem hesistant/willing to give the rest of the album a try. Favorite post I saw there so far:

It may come interesting who are not fan of scream or harsh vocal but this song has a great atmosphere with two different voice. Surely, there are many songs that James takes our head off. 

Watch out! He's got a shovel!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »
Not bad at all.  I'm not a fan of screaming vocals (Old fogey statement) but It didn't sway me and it's not screaming all the time.  I liked it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:25:00 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »
Eh, the screaming vocals ruined it for me. I hope there won't be plenty of those on the album. James is good as usual.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 01:47:46 PM »
I love growling like Opeth, but those vocals were not good.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »
I'm a fan of screams and growls, and while the ones in this song were not terrible, the song itself is sort of....awful. I'll definitely listen to more of it as they release it, though.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2010, 02:10:34 PM »
It was alright. I don't dislike the harsh vocals, but that's not to say I particularly enjoyed them either. James is pretty good, I like his voice a lot more here than in DT.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »

SeRoX posted that! I'm not too surprised. :lol

I miss him.  :(
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2010, 03:29:15 PM »
Wow, I'm really really really liking this.  It's interesting to hear James on such heavy music.

I love harsh vocals, and these are well-done.  James' vocal melodies are amazing also.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 03:54:41 PM »
And since it was asked, I guess the guitarist is the screamer.

Oh come on dude, at least read the above few posts.

I was judging by how the guitarist/keyboardist said "my vocals" and since all the singing parts sound like James, I think it would be logical to assume the guitarist is doing the screams. 

The drummer is doing the screaming. They have stated it.
Then why does the article cite the "guitarist/keyboardist" talking about his vocals?

Anyway, this song is awesome. I much prefer it to any of the heavy songs on EoP. Don't get me wrong, I like EoP, especially the softer songs, but I find most of the heavier songs are pretty generic (the first track is pure Metallica, the second is Linkin Park, and so on). This sounds a little bit different and less obvious, which is great!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
I really really really like this. James is awesome.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »
I've never seen a bigger bunch of women in a prog metal forum before.

'oh no the screams'

'i hate the screams'

'it's just ruined it all!'

Can't you guys switch off for a few minutes and appreciate something different? Why on earth would you want another DT-sounding album from the frontman of the band? It wouldn't be much of a solo album if James did exactly what he did on DT's 9 previous albums, would it? It sounds good.

I like growls in metal. I also don't like growls in metal. I get the best of both. Try it sometime.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2010, 05:04:15 PM »
I love you.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 05:05:51 PM »

'oh no the screams'

'i hate the screams'

Can't you guys switch off for a few minutes and appreciate something different? Why on earth would you want another DT-sounding album from the frontman of the band? It wouldn't be much of a solo album if James did exactly what he did on DT's 9 previous albums, would it? It sounds good.

I like growls in metal. I also don't like growls in metal. I get the best of both. Try it sometime.
"Come on, guys. We've all had a laugh, but let's get serious. Stop disliking this. Start liking it."

With respect, if it were that simple I'd like everything. There'd be no such thing as music tastes, everyone would hear a song and IMMEDIATELY begin dancing. The world would be like Saturday Night Fever on eternal loop. Nobody'd be able to get anything done.

I'd love to love everything. Nobody dislikes something 'cause they're thinking "I really want to dislike this." I don't think being sneery's gonna help anything. Just gonna make you a little less popular.

For what it's worth, I'm giving it a bit of extra time. I'd like to like JLB so I'm gonna try and find something to love about it, and properly study it. I'm still gonna get the album, and I like that he's experimenting. I'm more or less ambivalent to the whole thing. Doesn't mean I have to go "oh goody it's my least favourite type of vocals, this is my favourite song in the universe" straight off the bat.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »

'oh no the screams'

'i hate the screams'

Oh, shut up. 

It's not that anyone here is unmanly or whatever because they don't like the vocals.  I don't like the vocals because this CD is supposed to be James Labrie, not some other guy who sounds like a thousand other screamers.  I can sometimes enjoy them too, but I do not like them here, especially when Labrie isn't doing them, especially when their done in the metalcore kind of way.  I don't lose my testicles for saying that, do I?

Offline Buckethead

• Poopstring
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »
That was super catchy!!! gonna be in my head all night just after one listen. Great stuff Jamie Labrie

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2010, 05:14:27 PM »

'oh no the screams'

'i hate the screams'

"Come on, guys. We've all had a laugh, but let's get serious. Stop disliking this. Start liking it."

With respect, if it were that simple I'd like everything. There'd be no such thing as music tastes, everyone would hear a song and IMMEDIATELY begin dancing. The world would be like Saturday Night Fever on eternal loop. Nobody'd be able to get anything done.

I'd love to love everything. Nobody dislikes something 'cause they're thinking "I really want to dislike this." I don't think being sneery's gonna help anything. Just gonna make you a little less popular.

For what it's worth, I'm giving it a bit of extra time. I'd like to like JLB so I'm gonna try and find something to love about it, and properly study it. I'm still gonna get the album, and I like that he's experimenting. I'm more or less ambivalent to the whole thing. Doesn't mean I have to go "oh goody it's my least favourite type of vocals, this is my favourite song in the universe" straight off the bat.

Once agian, rob says everything I wanted to say and more. :D
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »
Aside from the screaming vocals, it's very similar to EoP, just a bit heavier. And JLB still did most of the singing in the song, so I'm not that bothered by the vocals.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
James LaBrie, "One More Time"
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2010, 05:35:15 PM »
Who's the other guy singing? :S

https://www.noisecreep.com/2010/07/27/james-labrie-one-more-time-song-premiere/

This isn't getting too much of my appreciation.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
Re: James LaBrie, "One More Time"
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2010, 05:47:56 PM »
At first I thought LaBrie was singing like that. Then i realized it wasn't, so its cool now. I like the song overall.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
Listening to it right now, and I really like it.  There is some really neat stuff going on here, and I think the screams fit OK with the rest of the song.  I can't wait for this album to come out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2010, 06:14:17 PM »
 hp;y shit that is amazing, though at first I thought webster had trolled me while i'm int his state - i thought i was listening to in falmes or soilwork or something. I can't wait for the release, keeping me going till then ew dreak m theater album right@?

edit: is this still the same guitarist as the last album?

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2010, 06:27:24 PM »
ONE MORE TIIIIIIEM
WE'LL LAY DOWN TODAY
ONE MORE TIIIIIIEM
BEFORE WE FADE A-Wait what?

Look, I love Melodic Death Metal (In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, etc). But this is not what I expected from James LaBrie. I expected James LaBrie to sing, not some random (Yet still kick-ass) growls. I love the Beginning and the Chorus, but for the rest, I am dissappoint. I think it may be because it's a JAMES LABRIE album. I mean, if it was a "Soilwork-like band feat. James LaBrie" I would like the song, but I can't imagine the whole album with just LaBrie doing the choruses. I hope this is the only song (Well I'd tolerate two songs more) that goes this way.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 06:34:45 PM by LCArenas »

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2010, 06:30:28 PM »
I dunno why, the verses are better than the past few In Flames and Soilwork albums :loser:

(first time typing correc,t my drunkeness bmust be running off")

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2010, 06:32:27 PM »
hp;y shit that is amazing, though at first I thought webster had trolled me while i'm int his state - i thought i was listening to in falmes or soilwork or something. I can't wait for the release, keeping me going till then ew dreak m theater album right@?

You betcha.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »
I dunno why, the verses are better than the past few In Flames and Soilwork albums :loser:

(first time typing correc,t my drunkeness bmust be running off")
Come Clarity and The Panic Broadcast just called and said they were incredibly offended, and like to share a word with you.

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »
Totally digging the song.  I like the screams, very nice departure from the norm for JLB if you ask me (I think they're done tastefully enough that they don't completely overtake the song, but do add a nice effect).  Also was a big fan of the middle section, the bass lick followed by the solo section was very well done IMO.  Solid song, I'm excited for this album!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »
Totally digging the song.  I like the screams, very nice departure from the norm for JLB if you ask me (I think they're done tastefully enough that they don't completely overtake the song, but do add a nice effect).  Also was a big fan of the middle section, the bass lick followed by the solo section was very well done IMO.  Solid song, I'm excited for this album!

Yes, except that it's NOT JAMES LABRIE.  That's my biggest problem with it. 

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2010, 06:45:24 PM »
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick