Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 408699 times)

Offline Kram

Re: James LaBrie Solo
« Reply #3115 on: May 29, 2022, 12:36:22 PM »
Maybe I haven't found the right headspace for this album. Far from dismissing it, but this doesn't feel like an album that you can just wing it and get it.
I agree.  I basically like what I've heard from it so far - but feel if I buy it now, I would not even listen to it.  Just too many other things that I'm into right now, and definitely not in the right "headspace" for this. Maybe that will change.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3116 on: May 29, 2022, 03:33:51 PM »
Maybe I haven't found the right headspace for this album. Far from dismissing it, but this doesn't feel like an album that you can just wing it and get it.

I haven't even got the motivation to check it out at all.  I will, eventually.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3117 on: May 30, 2022, 07:40:16 PM »
This album is $16.98 at Amazon. Sorry, not paying that. I have physical copies of all of his solo stuff, including the Frameshift album that he is on, but I'm not biting at that price.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3118 on: May 30, 2022, 07:48:26 PM »
This album is $16.98 at Amazon. Sorry, not paying that. I have physical copies of all of his solo stuff, including the Frameshift album that he is on, but I'm not biting at that price.

I guess very few people care about physical media anymore so those who do pay the premium. Still seems kind of odd to read this, you would support an artist all along but then draw the line when the price goes up by two dollars lol

I can’t judge though, I haven’t bought anything in years. Unless it’s a vinyl of something I really like.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3119 on: May 30, 2022, 07:53:40 PM »

I guess very few people care about physical media anymore so those who do pay the premium. Still seems kind of odd to read this, you would support an artist all along but then draw the line when the price goes up by two dollars lol

Well, with Tax that's going to be over $17. That's well over my threshold for this album. I suppose I could pay $9.99 for the digital version, but I'd prefer to own the actual CD, but I just can't justify that price. I'll wait this one out. It's not like this is a holyshitIgottahavethisrightnow kind of CD anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3120 on: May 30, 2022, 08:02:33 PM »
If the price is too high, and I agree it is, just stream it.  There's a youtube playlist of the entire album.  I'd guess it's on spotify too, but I hardly ever use that.  I streamed the album instead of buying it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3121 on: May 30, 2022, 08:03:55 PM »
Yeah, I'm on Spotify.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3122 on: June 01, 2022, 10:30:38 PM »

THANK YOU. I saw that and was so confused. That's the price I usually see for, like, double albums, but lately I've been seeing a lot of more niche single-disc albums jumping from around $10-$13 to $15-$18. I'm going to check the local record store and see if they have it for less. I want the album, I have James' other records, but that is steep to me.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3123 on: June 02, 2022, 09:13:36 AM »

Agree. I mean, I'm not happy about it either but I've had to buy several CDs at that price range, some for bands I'm only moderate fans of. We're finally getting up to early to mid 90s costs for CDs!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3124 on: June 02, 2022, 11:16:15 AM »
Yeah, I mean, considering inflation, music costs less than ever before. I routinely paid $16 for new releases 25 years ago, back when gas was 89 cents a gallon. By that math, I'd be paying $75 for an album today :eek

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3125 on: June 07, 2022, 01:20:44 PM »
LaserCD just stocked the latest JLB album

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/beautiful-shade-grey-digipak

$14 bucks plus shipping

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3126 on: September 04, 2022, 06:27:26 PM »
James shared an image of music being worked on a computer and said the follow-up to BSOG is being worked on. I'm surprised he's pumping out another solo album so soon when BSOG just came out a couple months ago.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3127 on: September 04, 2022, 06:43:53 PM »
Sucks that Matt Guillory appears not to be involved again.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3128 on: September 04, 2022, 06:47:25 PM »
I'd love another Paul Logue related solo album.  I've been enjoying this one quite a bit.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3129 on: September 04, 2022, 10:27:53 PM »
Yeah, BSOG was much better than I expected, so bring on another one.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3130 on: September 06, 2022, 09:59:26 AM »

Yeah. I enjoyed this more than I expected.  While I wish he made anohter album with Guillory, I'm cool with another acoustic album with Logue too. Surprised hes working on it so soon, but I guess he's got the time so why not.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3131 on: September 06, 2022, 02:13:45 PM »
I like the album, but I wish he had released it under another name.  JLB has in the past indicated that he considers his "James LaBrie" albums with Matt et al to be band efforts, rather than solo albums; with his name used just for the name recognition.  This album really muddies the waters.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3132 on: September 06, 2022, 03:28:56 PM »
I like the album, but I wish he had released it under another name.  JLB has in the past indicated that he considers his "James LaBrie" albums with Matt et al to be band efforts, rather than solo albums; with his name used just for the name recognition.  This album really muddies the waters.

It does muddy the waters, but I see it similar to Bruce Dickinsons solo music.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3133 on: September 06, 2022, 04:25:04 PM »
The latest album is good, of course.  Just not heavy enough for me, which will limit the number of spins.  I'm more of a fan of his last 3 records.  Mostly heavy arrangements with some cooldown tracks sprinkled in.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3134 on: September 06, 2022, 05:47:17 PM »

I'll second this.

In fact, looking back over the past 6 months, James' disc has had way more staying power that AVFTOTW. I've easily spun it a few dozen times at this point.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3135 on: September 13, 2022, 10:08:16 PM »
It's been a while since I listened to A Beautiful Shade of Grey so I decided to listen to it again.

It's a good album. I really enjoy the acoustic, folky, sound with the keyboards adding some extra atmosphere.

This would be how I rank the songs...

Sunset Ruin
Am I Right
Give and Take
Conscience Calling/What I Missed (Conscience Calling works as a fantastic intro to What I Missed so I rank them as one)
Supernova Girl
Hit Me Like A Brick
Wildfire
Devil in Drag
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3136 on: September 14, 2022, 05:11:39 AM »
I'll check out this album one day.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3137 on: October 25, 2022, 04:36:53 AM »
From James Labrie: Hey everyone! Have you seen the new ‘Beautiful Shade of Grey’ merchandise range on my new webshop? Grab your BSOG shirts, hats, hoodies, patches & more at jameslabrie.com/shop

Yaaargh! 🤘🎤🏴‍☠️🇨🇦

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3138 on: October 25, 2022, 11:29:19 AM »
From James Labrie: Hey everyone! Have you seen the new ‘Beautiful Shade of Grey’ merchandise range on my new webshop? Grab your BSOG shirts, hats, hoodies, patches & more at jameslabrie.com/shop

Yaaargh! 🤘🎤🏴‍☠️🇨🇦

I'm glad he's got a new site and merch, but am disappointed that the site presents the new guys as "the band" and ignores Matt, et al from the previous albums. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3139 on: October 25, 2022, 11:42:17 AM »
Well it's the band from his latest record.

The last one with Guillory is from 2013, so not really his actual band.

edit: Under Music, the players for each record are listed. And damn, that site takes forever to load.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3140 on: October 25, 2022, 01:24:20 PM »

Yaaargh! 🤘🎤🏴‍☠️🇨🇦

I'm glad he's got a new site and merch, but am disappointed that the site presents the new guys as "the band" and ignores Matt, et al from the previous albums.
The new guys ARE the band.  Matt WAS in the band.

Mike Portnoy WAS in Dream Theater, but he's not now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3141 on: October 27, 2022, 02:31:54 PM »

Yaaargh! 🤘🎤🏴‍☠️🇨🇦

The new guys ARE the band.  Matt WAS in the band.

Mike Portnoy WAS in Dream Theater, but he's not now.

OK, but I don't think it was ever really presented that way.  It just seemed like another little project he was doing.  If JLB really kicked everyone to the curb for this, then I'm even more disappointed.  He always said it was a band more than a solo effort, that they just put his name on it for commercial reasons.  Now, it's like "OK, but I can replace all of you, LOL." 

The new disc is decent, but it's nowhere near as good as what Matt has written for him over the last *checks wiki* 23 years, IMO.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3142 on: October 28, 2022, 03:18:05 PM »
After 6 months I still enjoy BSOG. Very solid album and much better and suited for his voice than the last two albums.

My current song ranking

1- Conscience Calling / What I Missed
2- Hit Me Like A Brick
3- Am I Right
4- Wildflower
5- Devil In Drug (Electric version) / Devil In Drug
6- Sunset Rain
7- Give & Take
8- Rumble On
9- Supernova Girl
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #3143 on: September 22, 2023, 12:24:29 PM »
Bump.

I was listening to Impermanent Resonance today and remembered to listen once to some demos with Matt Guillory singing a few songs, specially Back on the Ground, can't find it anywhere and don't even know if it was released in any formats of the album. Does anyone knows if it's possible to find it?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3144 on: September 22, 2023, 01:54:41 PM »
Bump.

I was listening to Impermanent Resonance today and remembered to listen once to some demos with Matt Guillory singing a few songs, specially Back on the Ground, can't find it anywhere and don't even know if it was released in any formats of the album. Does anyone knows if it's possible to find it?

The "I Will Not Break" single has some demo versions on it, and is on Spotify.  I'm not sure if there are others in circulation. 

Also note that Matt has release some of his own songs and is recording a new album's worth of songs now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3145 on: September 22, 2023, 02:18:04 PM »

Huh.......that day still has not come around.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3146 on: September 22, 2023, 02:20:43 PM »

:lol not sure if its for your tastes, but I found it to be surprisingly pretty good

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3147 on: September 22, 2023, 02:25:46 PM »

:lol not sure if its for your tastes, but I found it to be surprisingly pretty good

:lol Probably why I never bothered haha.  I should make an effort though.

Happy Birthday too man!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3148 on: September 22, 2023, 02:32:43 PM »

:lol Probably why I never bothered haha.  I should make an effort though.

Happy Birthday too man!

Thanks!  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3149 on: September 22, 2023, 02:35:26 PM »
Happy Birthday Marc!