Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 407555 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: James LaBrie Solo
« Reply #3080 on: May 22, 2022, 11:17:56 AM »
I love Matt's work with James, but I'm not missing him in this new album. By the way, I read somewhere he's already working (slowly) with James in next solo to record with the band with Wildoer etc. So, I think this new partnership with Logue doesn't mean James will stop working with Matt.

I think LaBrie has confirmed as much. He said the lack of an album with Matt had as much to do with Matt's schedule as his own. I think Matt has a job with Apple.

I don't miss Matt on this album. I love Matt and would love them to continue to collaborate but to me, it's almost too pop oriented. In an interview (or maybe even answering questions on this board) he even said some of his influences were pop acts like Britney Spears or the Backstreet Boys. It's kind of hilarious since Peter would come in on half the songs and sound like an aggressive satan taking over.

I definitely think this is LaBrie's best since EoP.

:rollin   Yes that's kinda how I felt about the last two albums as well.  I really put the time in trying to like them but they just didn't do it for me.

I LOVED them when they came out, especially Static Impulse. I never thought they topped EoP though. The more time goes on I go back to them less and less, and btw I love the heavy style in general. I'm a big fan of underground black metal. I actually have a Darkane CD arriving in the mail tomorrow. But as I get older I listen to that style of music less as well but I haven't given up on it.

If I want to listen to James (which is often), then I want to hear James and only James. I'm going to have to be in a VERY specific mood to want to hear Peter tearing shit up as well. Good stuff but the mood just doesn't strike me much anymore.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3081 on: May 22, 2022, 11:20:57 AM »
I like the Matt albums, but they feel like that... "Matt" albums. Matt wrote pretty much the entirety of Static Impulse, right down the lyrics and vocal melodies. James was just the marquee on top. Obviously his voice elevates the whole thing. This album with Paul Logue feels more like a James album to me through-and-through.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3082 on: May 22, 2022, 11:22:45 AM »
Imagine if, when a new DT album came out, there was as much praise for James' performance as there is in a thread like this...

James seems to sound much better on his solo albums than with DT and my guess would be its because he doesn't have to tour performing these songs so he can let it all out in studio and not worry about his vocal chords consistently handling it live.
Besides his albums being composed with a lot more of his input, I think this is also the main reason.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3083 on: May 22, 2022, 11:35:26 AM »
That, but let's not forget the big thing - DT music is a lot more complex. JLB solo is more simply melodies and pleasant hooks. They're two totally different animals.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3084 on: May 22, 2022, 04:22:39 PM »
Imagine if, when a new DT album came out, there was as much praise for James' performance as there is in a thread like this...

James seems to sound much better on his solo albums than with DT and my guess would be its because he doesn't have to tour performing these songs so he can let it all out in studio and not worry about his vocal chords consistently handling it live.

I wonder how much of it is that, live considerations. I feel like on his solo albums, he’s in charge. He’s definitely not in charge on the DT albums. He can only work with what he’s given. DT have not gotten the most out of him in ages, in terms of range.

He was outstanding on The Astonishing though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3085 on: May 22, 2022, 05:56:00 PM »
I never got the sense he is "in charge" on his solo releases. He may have been "co-in charge" with Matt on the albums he did with him, which helped to appropriately maximize his vocal abilities. And I believe it applies on this one too.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3086 on: May 22, 2022, 06:26:01 PM »
That, but let's not forget the big thing - DT music is a lot more complex. JLB solo is more simply melodies and pleasant hooks. They're two totally different animals.

Yes and no.

If we are comparing 'this' new JLB album to, say, AVFTOTW, then you are absolutely correct.

But DT has written simple melodies, and the prevalence of 'hooks' on those first few albums are why the fanbase generally regard that era as DT's peak.

I think, for me, this album reminds me of a DT that probably no longer exists. Those last few minutes of 'Wildflower' remind me of 6 Degrees, and "Give and Take" feels like it could've sat comfortably on FII. My point is, this new JLB album isn't all that far from DT, at least to my ears.

Now, don't get me wrong, I dug the last DT album, but I do hope their next effort has a little more acoustic guitar on it. I might be in the minority, but I missed having a ballad on AVFTOTW.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3087 on: May 22, 2022, 06:29:39 PM »
As for this new JLB disc:

Devil in Drag - Man, I really dig the electric version. Super strong song.

SuperNova Girl - Super cool melody and one of my favorite choruses on the album.

Give and Take - Love the flamenco vibe. Again, the chorus is super strong here. James sounds so good in his mid-range...maybe better than he has in years.

Sunset Ruin - A nice, atmospheric ballad...very into this song.

Hit Me Like a Brick - I have yet to warm to this one. Obviously cut from the same cloth as "Devil in Drag," but the lyric here is so on the nose I'm having a difficult time getting into it.

Wildflower - A good song with an amazing ending. That final chord progression belongs in a DT song.

Conscience Calling/What I Missed - These two kind of go together. This is a late-album highlight. Very interesting chord progression, and James sounds great here (the whole record, really). I like the contrast between the aggressive verses and the lower-register choruses.

Am I Right - I didn't 'love' this when it was released last week, but it's really grown on me. When James first discussed releasing an acoustic album, this song is more in line with what I imagined. The instrumentation on this record is really top-notch, a point this song definitely underscores. I think the outro where Theresa comes in is a very nice touch.

Ramble On - I normally have little use for covers, but man, James kills this! One of my all-time favorite Zeppelin songs, and I am frankly surprised by how faithful this version is. When James disclosed he was doing a Zeppelin cover, my interest was piqued. Man, he really hit this out of the park.

Overall, I've really enjoyed listening to this. Time will tell how much staying power it has, but for now, I'd say this is easily my favorite release since the first Mullmuzzler. I 'like' EOP, but at this stage in my life, I much prefer this more toned-down version of James.

I'd love to hear a little of this record bleed into the next DT album. I keep hoping we'll get another album like ADTOE, where JP's acoustic takes a prominent role on a song or three.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3088 on: May 22, 2022, 07:22:35 PM »
This album is way more enjoyable than the new Dream Theater album...
Definitely. It's a low bar, though. :biggrin:

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #3089 on: May 22, 2022, 07:49:38 PM »

Only heard the new disc once. I was really hoping for the sound of Static Impulse and Impermanent Resonance, and there was very little of that sound here. Still digging the new disc, but I hope he returns to the sound of the two aforementioned albums one day.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3090 on: May 23, 2022, 03:43:33 AM »

Only heard the new disc once. I was really hoping for the sound of Static Impulse and Impermanent Resonance, and there was very little of that sound here. Still digging the new disc, but I hope he returns to the sound of the two aforementioned albums one day.

But why? This was heavily promoted as an acoustic disc—why would you hope for the sound of Static Impulse?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3091 on: May 23, 2022, 04:57:26 AM »

But why? This was heavily promoted as an acoustic disc—why would you hope for the sound of Static Impulse?

This exactly. Don’t need a boring retread of what he already did.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3092 on: May 23, 2022, 08:44:01 AM »

Yes and no.

If we are comparing 'this' new JLB album to, say, AVFTOTW, then you are absolutely correct.

But DT has written simple melodies, and the prevalence of 'hooks' on those first few albums are why the fanbase generally regard that era as DT's peak.

I think, for me, this album reminds me of a DT that probably no longer exists. Those last few minutes of 'Wildflower' remind me of 6 Degrees, and "Give and Take" feels like it could've sat comfortably on FII. My point is, this new JLB album isn't all that far from DT, at least to my ears.

Now, don't get me wrong, I dug the last DT album, but I do hope their next effort has a little more acoustic guitar on it. I might be in the minority, but I missed having a ballad on AVFTOTW.

When I first heard Supernova Girl, I thought it sounded like something from FII. I could see DT doing this song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #3093 on: May 23, 2022, 02:08:18 PM »

I'm not necessarily missing the heaviness of Static Impulse or Impermanent Resonance, and I was looking forward to the accoustic direction. But I expected the song writing and style to be more in line with those two previous discs. Those were the first James Labrie solo albums I really spent any time with, and I have become very fond of them. I dig all his other solo albums to varying degrees, and certainly enjoy the new one. Just not what I was expecting.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3094 on: May 23, 2022, 02:37:51 PM »
Even knowing it would be acoustic, I don't think this is exactly what I thought before hearing the singles.  I still need to check the full album out, I'm on the fence if I will truly like it based on the singles but I should give it a full listen and just haven't had the chance yet.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3095 on: May 23, 2022, 06:27:58 PM »
Gave the new album one spin and my initial reaction was "This is fine, I'll listen to it on occasion and enjoy it, but I'm not blown away". James does sound good on it though.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3096 on: May 23, 2022, 06:40:43 PM »
This album is way more enjoyable than the new Dream Theater album...
Definitely. It's a low bar, though. :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3097 on: May 23, 2022, 08:24:12 PM »
I feel like the difference between Dream Theater and the JLB stuff with Matt is that JLB actually sounds like the songs were written not only with vocals in mind, but specifically James's voice and the things about his timbre and style that make him great and unique. Whereas Dream Theater has for a while given the impression that they're writing instrumental tracks that they then have to figure out how to cram some vocals in somewhere.

Although I haven't heard a Dream Theater album since The Astonishing and I only listened to that one once (outside of A New Beginning), so maybe their more recent stuff doesn't suffer from the same issues.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3098 on: May 24, 2022, 07:40:46 AM »
I don't miss Matt on this album. I love Matt and would love them to continue to collaborate but to me, it's almost too pop oriented. In an interview (or maybe even answering questions on this board) he even said some of his influences were pop acts like Britney Spears or the Backstreet Boys. It's kind of hilarious since Peter would come in on half the songs and sound like an aggressive satan taking over.

I definitely think this is LaBrie's best since EoP.

:rollin   Yes that's kinda how I felt about the last two albums as well.  I really put the time in trying to like them but they just didn't do it for me.

I LOVED them when they came out, especially Static Impulse. I never thought they topped EoP though. The more time goes on I go back to them less and less, and btw I love the heavy style in general. I'm a big fan of underground black metal. I actually have a Darkane CD arriving in the mail tomorrow. But as I get older I listen to that style of music less as well but I haven't given up on it.

If I want to listen to James (which is often), then I want to hear James and only James. I'm going to have to be in a VERY specific mood to want to hear Peter tearing shit up as well. Good stuff but the mood just doesn't strike me much anymore.

The bolded is pretty much me.  I'm sure there are collaborations that would be cool and that I'd like, but certainly for his solo stuff I'm not really interested in someone else doing vocals.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3099 on: May 24, 2022, 08:28:52 AM »
*shrug*  I really like the contrast Wildoer's vocals (and Matt's backing vocals) give to the songs.  I'm not generally into growly death metal vocals or anything, but used as a contrast I think they work well.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3100 on: May 24, 2022, 09:44:03 AM »
I like it on occasion with certain bands at certain times, but I've never liked the way it's used on the JLB albums.  I don't even care for James' parts all that much on some of the songs.  Whereas with Elements of Persuasion I pretty much liked it all.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3101 on: May 24, 2022, 09:55:04 AM »
Finally heard the record. Sounds good but I'm not sure if it has staying power.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline majo

« Reply #3102 on: May 24, 2022, 11:07:14 AM »
meh. stale and uninspired through and through.
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3103 on: May 24, 2022, 11:46:42 AM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3104 on: May 25, 2022, 12:19:00 AM »

I'm not necessarily missing the heaviness of Static Impulse or Impermanent Resonance, and I was looking forward to the accoustic direction. But I expected the song writing and style to be more in line with those two previous discs. Those were the first James Labrie solo albums I really spent any time with, and I have become very fond of them. I dig all his other solo albums to varying degrees, and certainly enjoy the new one. Just not what I was expecting.
Yeah, this is it for me too. It's the hooks and melodies I miss, not the heaviness.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3105 on: May 25, 2022, 10:20:36 PM »
The chorus of Am I Right has the same chord progression as Take Away My Pain I think.

Anyway decent album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3106 on: May 26, 2022, 01:22:32 AM »
The chorus of Am I Right has the same chord progression as Take Away My Pain I think.
That expains why the song hasn't clicked with me.  ;D

I do enjoy some of the album. It is still growing on me, but some of the songs are already catchy and a pleasant listen. Devil in drag, Wildflower and What I missed are my favorites at the moment, but I also think they do a great version of Ramble on.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3107 on: May 27, 2022, 08:12:53 AM »
Finally listened, some good songs here. Not entirely sure how I feel about the album as a whole though. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3108 on: May 27, 2022, 11:43:52 AM »
I finally remembered what the verses to Devil In Drag reminded me of...The verses in Untethered Angel.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3109 on: May 27, 2022, 11:48:38 AM »
The album is slowly growing on me. I'm afraid there's not the killer song, the masterpiece, the "OMG this is worth alone 5 of the lesser songs of his previous album(s)", but there are some very solid tunes on here.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3110 on: May 27, 2022, 12:30:20 PM »
I feel like the difference between Dream Theater and the JLB stuff with Matt is that JLB actually sounds like the songs were written not only with vocals in mind, but specifically James's voice and the things about his timbre and style that make him great and unique. Whereas Dream Theater has for a while given the impression that they're writing instrumental tracks that they then have to figure out how to cram some vocals in somewhere.
100000%. Everyone who sets out saying "I want to work with James LaBrie on my album" - not just Matt and Paul, but everyone who has had James on their albums - knows exactly what they want him for, while Dream Theater is just a band with a singer. I'm not saying that means DT members don't appreciate James or don't like writing for him, but all of them have an above average interest in writing purely instrumental music, and when they discuss making DT songs they almost never get to the part of "and then I came up with this awesome vocal melody to lay on top". Vocals come last in 90% of metal band songwriting, but with Dream Theater in particular they come dead, dead last.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3111 on: May 27, 2022, 12:41:53 PM »
Other than the last DT album, I feel they've always had strong vocal melodies. (which is, to me, what seperates DT from most prog metal bands)  Maybe they don't write for his voice like his solo band does, but DT certainly writes good vocal melodies.  At least to my ears.  I feel like AVFTTOTW was the first DT album where the vocal melodies weren't up to par. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3112 on: May 27, 2022, 12:57:45 PM »
100000%. Everyone who sets out saying "I want to work with James LaBrie on my album" - not just Matt and Paul, but everyone who has had James on their albums - knows exactly what they want him for, while Dream Theater is just a band with a singer. I'm not saying that means DT members don't appreciate James or don't like writing for him, but all of them have an above average interest in writing purely instrumental music, and when they discuss making DT songs they almost never get to the part of "and then I came up with this awesome vocal melody to lay on top". Vocals come last in 90% of metal band songwriting, but with Dream Theater in particular they come dead, dead last.

Yeah, I agree with you, it's no disrespect to DT saying this, it's actually how they've always written the music. It's a bit of unintended irony that, as you said, everyone who wants to work with James LaBrie know what they want and how to get it, and his own main band has, and always had, a different approach in writing music.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3113 on: May 27, 2022, 04:32:30 PM »
I think he sounds great with DT though.  There is a different approach on his solo albums and I also agree that he may feel freer knowing that he won't have to perform most of those songs live.  But even setting The Astonishing aside (which is a glorious vocal performance), I think his voice is just as important as anything else, and makes the songs what they are.  Something like At Wit's End is even better with him singing on it.

But I also really liked their last album, and I'm guessing I'm in the minority on that (? maybe) and don't really have any issues with the vocals or vocal melodies.

Back to the solo album, I'm quite enjoying it.  I would agree with Mirrormask that maybe there isn't a masterpiece, but I just enjoy listening to the album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3114 on: May 28, 2022, 06:08:31 PM »
Maybe I haven't found the right headspace for this album. Far from dismissing it, but this doesn't feel like an album that you can just wing it and get it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol