Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 408710 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: James LaBrie Solo
« Reply #3045 on: May 18, 2022, 01:48:36 PM »
New JLB interview with The Metal Voice guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrjlc1_e5LU
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3046 on: May 18, 2022, 04:06:39 PM »
I like the new song. I'm actually looking forward to this album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3047 on: May 18, 2022, 04:13:06 PM »

Pffft....going soft mate.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3048 on: May 18, 2022, 04:23:37 PM »

You know what it is... James sounds so restrained in Dream Theater. It's great to hear him go for it vocally.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3049 on: May 18, 2022, 04:36:49 PM »

You know what it is... James sounds so restrained in Dream Theater. It's great to hear him go for it vocally.

*Insert derogatory backhanded AFFTTOTW comment*

But nevertheless, I'm interested in hearing the full thing, Marco has that pull for me but don't see me ordering it in a hurry.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3050 on: May 19, 2022, 01:03:25 PM »
Am I Right is an awesome track. I love James' voice with acoustic sound. They blend perfect together. Am I Right sounds like it came off from Frameshift-Unveawing The Rainbow which I absolulety love.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #3051 on: May 19, 2022, 11:36:01 PM »
Ramble On was great!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3052 on: May 20, 2022, 12:51:38 AM »
On my first listen through...

The music allows JLB to really present his vocals and it showcases his power and range, along with his subtle warm tone. I am enjoying the chord progressions and the groove of the songs.

Hit Me Like A Brick should've been a single release.

What I Missed is my favorite so far, especially with Conscience Calling preceding it.

Am I Right sounds nice after What I Missed. I still like this one too and it's my favorite of the single releases we got.

The ending to Ramble On is awesome. It's a neat cover and it's pretty good.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3053 on: May 20, 2022, 05:10:12 AM »
Listening now
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3054 on: May 20, 2022, 05:31:19 AM »
Listening now

Just put it on as well.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3055 on: May 20, 2022, 05:38:21 AM »
Only given it one listen so far. It's alright. The style is nice and James sounds good, but it didn't sound very melodically interesting to me. Might change with subsequent listens.

There was one track that sounded amazing at the start and my reaction was "awesome here we go!" but then it turned out that track was only 48 seconds long.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3056 on: May 20, 2022, 05:45:23 AM »
Listened twice. I absolutely love it. No filler track for me. Mullmuzzler and Frameshifht project feeling all over.

Hit Me Like A Brick
What I Missed
Am I Right

are all in my top 3 for now.

Rumble On is fantastic cover and electric version of Devil In Drag is better than acoustic one.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3057 on: May 20, 2022, 05:49:25 AM »
As it always hapen with the more melodic albums, their melodies never hit me at first listening. I've already listened to this album 4 times and now I'm pretty sure the melodies are great. It's basically an acustic album with full band arrangements, so it's not boring and there's a lot of interesting drumming. But it's really an album tailor made for James to shine and it works tremendously well IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3058 on: May 20, 2022, 06:09:38 AM »
Obviously need to listen again, but I liked it a lot!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3059 on: May 20, 2022, 07:15:42 AM »
Supernova girl is cheesy but catchy as hell :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3060 on: May 20, 2022, 08:09:26 AM »
Really enjoyable album - JLB's solo albums have a really nice consistent quality to them, even despite being all over the board in terms of rock genres.
Chance sounds really good too - very tasteful, convincing professional grade playing. Not bad for a kid in the shadow of other drummers their dad has worked with - Portnoy, Mangini, Wildoer...

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3061 on: May 20, 2022, 09:34:29 AM »
I'm letting the album play through and haven't looked at the tracklist.  I get to one song and think "man, I'm getting serious Led Zeppelin vibes on this song - it sounds like Ramble On" only to see that it's truly a cover of Ramble On.    :lol

The cover song really blends in with the style of the original songs on the album.  I can enjoy this for what it is, but I would put on any of the last 3 albums over this one. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3062 on: May 20, 2022, 10:58:25 AM »
I gave the album a couple of spins today and I think it might be my favorite JLB release. It's a really great album with the only really weak spot being the lyrics.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #3063 on: May 21, 2022, 05:48:52 AM »
Absolutely loved this album during my first listen. Just fantastic.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3064 on: May 21, 2022, 06:42:14 AM »
Look what I found. I didin't know this cover exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imq-oEzpN0s
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3065 on: May 21, 2022, 08:58:47 AM »
Thanks for that Pigs cover, 'Rox

I enjoyed the album, but the style of music isn't quite what floats my boat nowadays.  James sounds great, and I loved the cover of Ramble On (Top 3 Zeppelin song for me).  Not sure it'll get a lot of repeated listens, but it's certainly light years better than 2 out of his last 3 performances on DT albums.  Maybe all three (from a vocal perspective).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3066 on: May 21, 2022, 09:18:36 AM »
Imagine if, when a new DT album came out, there was as much praise for James' performance as there is in a thread like this...

That Pigs cover is from an album with another familiar name:

https://cleopatrarecords.bandcamp.com/album/animals-reimagined-a-tribute-to-pink-floyd

1. Pigs On A Wing 1 - Nick van Eede (Cutting Crew) & Martin Barre (Jethro Tull) 01:53
2. Dogs - Graham Bonnet (Rainbow), Vinnie Moore (UFO), Kasim Sulton (Utopia), Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater) & Pat Mastelotto (King Crimson) 16:59
3. Pigs (Three Different Ones) - James LaBrie (Dream Theater), Al Di Meola, Joe Bouchard (Blue Öyster Cult), Patrick Moraz (The Moody Blues) & Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra) 11:32
4. Sheep - Arthur Brown, Rick Wakeman (Yes), Jan Akkerman (Focus), David J. (Bauhaus) & Carmine Appice (Cactus/Vanilla Fudge) 10:24
5. Pigs On A Wing 2 - Jon Davison (lead vocalist for Yes), Albert Lee & Billy Sherwood (Yes) 01:38
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3067 on: May 21, 2022, 01:47:37 PM »
Thanks for that Pigs cover, 'Rox

I enjoyed the album, but the style of music isn't quite what floats my boat nowadays.  James sounds great, and I loved the cover of Ramble On (Top 3 Zeppelin song for me).  Not sure it'll get a lot of repeated listens, but it's certainly light years better than 2 out of his last 3 performances on DT albums.  Maybe all three (from a vocal perspective).

This is off topic but jingle have you ever heard Trains' cover of Led Zeppelin II? I saw them perform the whole album front to back and I thought they did a killer job.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5V8EDmYhUJLNkq7g74NtIL?si=15F0zpawQf6bf8MVFoqPBQ

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3068 on: May 21, 2022, 01:57:10 PM »
Imagine if, when a new DT album came out, there was as much praise for James' performance as there is in a thread like this...

You mean like, spending half of the day nearly falling off the first page, less noteworthy to the community here then Taylor Swift's honorary doctorate degree?

I know this sounds like a call out, but I mean it in jest. Though, I am shocked and a little disappointed by how little discussion there has been, I really like the album and I think they accomplished exactly what they were going for.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3069 on: May 21, 2022, 02:54:00 PM »
I haven't even bothered to check out anything from this album yet. Had it been a Guillory album I would have pre-ordered without hearing a note. The description of this album seemed all over the place over time so I wanted it out so I could properly decide if I really want to spend my money on it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3070 on: May 21, 2022, 08:44:29 PM »
My only takeaway after one listen of this album is that I really miss Matt.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3071 on: May 22, 2022, 06:27:45 AM »
I like it. But it’s kinda depressing.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3072 on: May 22, 2022, 07:03:48 AM »
My only takeaway after one listen of this album is that I really miss Matt.
After two listens, that's my view too. He's so great at writing strong hooks, and there's just not enough of those on the new album for me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3073 on: May 22, 2022, 07:27:32 AM »
I know what you guys mean, it might benefit some to check out the making of documentary they did. It kind of gives you a bigger view as to why this project happened the way it did, with James and Paul connecting over the idea of am acoustic album before realizing that the songs needed more arrangement and bringing in Chance and then later the others. It's something that started seemingly small with James and Paul thinking covid would finally be the time to do a more subdued project together, before growing into something bigger that looks like a full band release. I guess it's difficult not to compare it to the other works that James has done with other bands in the past, but I am just appreciating it for what it is, which is a tasty little morsel of classic album rock.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3074 on: May 22, 2022, 07:58:46 AM »
I don't miss Matt on this album. I love Matt and would love them to continue to collaborate but to me, it's almost too pop oriented. In an interview (or maybe even answering questions on this board) he even said some of his influences were pop acts like Britney Spears or the Backstreet Boys. It's kind of hilarious since Peter would come in on half the songs and sound like an aggressive satan taking over.

I definitely think this is LaBrie's best since EoP.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3075 on: May 22, 2022, 08:05:30 AM »
I don't miss Matt on this album. I love Matt and would love them to continue to collaborate but to me, it's almost too pop oriented. In an interview (or maybe even answering questions on this board) he even said some of his influences were pop acts like Britney Spears or the Backstreet Boys. It's kind of hilarious since Peter would come in on half the songs and sound like an aggressive satan taking over.

This.

The last two albums are fine for what they are, but I don't look to my aging rockers to give me contemporary-leaning music, and that's what those two records sound like to me.

As for the new disc, I'm still soaking it in, but at this point I can say there are at least three stand-out tracks.

The cover of 'Ramble On' is IMO James' best vocal work since The Astonishing.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3076 on: May 22, 2022, 08:42:29 AM »
I love Matt's work with James, but I'm not missing him in this new album. By the way, I read somewhere he's already working (slowly) with James in next solo to record with the band with Wildoer etc. So, I think this new partnership with Logue doesn't mean James will stop working with Matt.
About great melodies and hooks...Hit Me Like a Brick is one of most catchiest JLB songs in his discography, really excellent! I loving this album as a whole.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3077 on: May 22, 2022, 09:48:33 AM »

James seems to sound much better on his solo albums than with DT and my guess would be its because he doesn't have to tour performing these songs so he can let it all out in studio and not worry about his vocal chords consistently handling it live.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3078 on: May 22, 2022, 10:54:27 AM »

:rollin   Yes that's kinda how I felt about the last two albums as well.  I really put the time in trying to like them but they just didn't do it for me.

I'm really enjoying this new one a lot.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3079 on: May 22, 2022, 11:16:20 AM »
This album is way more enjoyable than the new Dream Theater album...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar