Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 408640 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: James LaBrie Solo
« Reply #2940 on: March 18, 2022, 06:50:41 AM »
"Devil in Drag", what kind of title is that!? 
He's participated in songs titled "Octavarium" and "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" and you're goofing on THIS song?

Pretty nice little tune.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2941 on: March 18, 2022, 08:04:33 AM »
Dream Theater's socials posting up preorder links to the album plus the album cover. James got a cool new logo!

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2942 on: March 18, 2022, 08:17:16 AM »
Not a fan of the logo. Looks like Mike Portnoy designed it :)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2943 on: March 18, 2022, 08:33:48 AM »
Is this the acoustic thing he kept talking about? Or something else?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2944 on: March 18, 2022, 08:34:37 AM »
JLB peaked with the track "Slightly out of Reach" from the "Elements of Persuasion" album. Simply a brilliant song.

"Devil in Drag", what kind of title is that!?  :lol Of course I'll check it out when it's released.

I thought the same exact thing.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2945 on: March 18, 2022, 08:36:08 AM »
I don’t know if this is a hot take or not but James sounds better with Matt Guillory then he does with DT.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2946 on: March 18, 2022, 08:37:00 AM »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2947 on: March 18, 2022, 08:42:49 AM »
I don’t know if this is a hot take or not but James sounds better with Matt Guillory then he does with DT.

I thought the same thing.  I liked the tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MirrorMask

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2949 on: March 18, 2022, 08:49:57 AM »
I like it and he sounds awesome, but I much prefer the heavier stuff that he did on his last three solo records. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2950 on: March 18, 2022, 08:51:03 AM »

DT's songs seem like they'd be much more challenging to sing. And not just because of high notes and things like that - Dream Theater vocal melodies are just more complex, less repetitive, sometimes weirdly metered, etc. It's hard to sing over that kind of stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I like Guillory. He writes what I would call "bubblegum" metal. It's more like Creed than Dream Theater. This song is no different.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2951 on: March 18, 2022, 09:16:37 AM »

James didn't work with Matt for the upcoming album.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2952 on: March 18, 2022, 09:32:05 AM »

James didn't work with Matt for the upcoming album.

My bad, I misread the article about the album. I still think he sounds better on this track though.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2953 on: March 18, 2022, 11:23:38 AM »
One listen in, and it sounded good.  I really didn't like the last two albums much but love Elements of Persuasion and the Mullmuzzler albums, so I'm hoping I'll like this new one.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2954 on: March 18, 2022, 11:31:56 AM »
One listen in, and it sounded good.  I really didn't like the last two albums much but love Elements of Persuasion and the Mullmuzzler albums, so I'm hoping I'll like this new one.

This is me as well. Loved EOP (more than a handful of DT albums) but didn’t care for anything after. But I do like this new one. It’s not groundbreaking or anything, but it’s a decent enough tune.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2955 on: March 18, 2022, 11:37:59 AM »
Shit, I just put a post in the JLB Appreciation thread, figuring it went there. Forgot about this thread.

Anyway, really dug Devil in Drag. This is the direction I wanted to see DT go right before MP left the band. Great stuff, and can't wait to preorder the CD on Amazon, whenever it appears.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2956 on: March 18, 2022, 11:38:16 AM »
I loved the first two JLB albums, thought I had heard Impermanent Resonance but actually never did. I like the new track and its acoustic feel.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online nick_z

« Reply #2957 on: March 18, 2022, 02:16:16 PM »
Can't say I'm  blown away by the single, but it's an enjoyable song, and chorus is real nice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2958 on: March 18, 2022, 04:18:05 PM »
I must be the only one not impressed with the song at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2959 on: March 18, 2022, 04:49:35 PM »
CD is now up on Amazon if anyone prefers to pre-order there.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2960 on: March 18, 2022, 05:02:35 PM »
Honestly a bit surprised that I enjoy it as much as I do.  Better than expected when hearing it was going to be an acoustic album.  The keys are great in this. I don't love it, but it's solid.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2961 on: March 18, 2022, 05:16:11 PM »
It sounds groundbreaking to me in the sense that it remained acoustic throughout while keeping a bit of a harder edge. I love it! Exactly the direction I was hoping for

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2962 on: March 18, 2022, 05:17:23 PM »
I must be the only one not impressed with the song at all.

You know the sample sounded better the other day, but maybe that's the electric version that is on the album.

This didn't really get me going either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2963 on: March 18, 2022, 05:18:04 PM »
I... Wasn't expecting this sound, honestly. JLB has had nothing but Melodic Metal Powerhouses ever since Elements of Persuasion came out. Liked Static Impulse, loved Impermanent Resonance, so I was expecting a bit more of that same style... But this was good! Nice to hear some acoustic guitars for a change, and James sounds really good too. Will be looking forward to the album now that I don't know what to expect.

James just posted the band's lineup changes for this album, and it really shows in the music. Bummed that neither Matt Guillory nor Peter Wildoer are there anymore, specially Guillory who had been working with him since MullMuzzler. Does anybody know why he's no longer in the band? I'm a bit out of the loop.

Glad Marco Sfogli is still with the band, though. Really underrated guitarist.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2964 on: March 18, 2022, 05:27:11 PM »
Bummed that neither Matt Guillory nor Peter Wildoer are there anymore, specially Guillory who had been working with him since MullMuzzler. Does anybody know why he's no longer in the band? I'm a bit out of the loop.

I'm not sure anyone knows what happened.  My guess, when JLB cancelled his ProgPower headlining performance to put his focus on DT, it also delayed what I thought was those two were working together for another album and Matt likely just didn't want to work on JLB's schedule.  Once again, just my guess.

It sounds groundbreaking to me in the sense that it remained acoustic throughout while keeping a bit of a harder edge. I love it! Exactly the direction I was hoping for

Not sure it makes the song groundbreaking, but that's exactly why I was kind of surprised and also why I enjoyed it.  Curious about the rest of the album now, more than I was before hearing the song. 

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2965 on: March 18, 2022, 06:05:13 PM »
I suspect I'm in the minority as I rank the first Mullmuzzler (along with parts of the second) as the high water mark for James' solo work. I mean, I 'like' EOP and the two follow-ups, but they honestly do little for me and I rarely revisit them.

I've been anticipating this album since James talked about it in depth on a couple of podcasts last fall, and boy did he not oversell it!

I LOVE this song, and as a few others have mentioned, this is exactly what I am looking for from a James solo release at this stage in his career.

I've made no secret about my affection for Robert Plant's third act, and I'd really like to see James head in that direction...nothing would please me more than to have a seventy-five year old James giving us an acoustic-based release, and this just might be the entry-point for that path.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2966 on: March 18, 2022, 07:09:46 PM »
Press release:

The new endeavor sees him traverse personal maturation, loss, a myriad of complex relationships, and most importantly – LaBrie’s burning passion for music. On paper, the latest studio offering from the Canadian singer first took shape shortly after the global pandemic began to emerge. But in reality, LaBrie formed a bond with his fellow collaborator, bassist Paul Logue (Eden’s Curse), nearly a decade earlier.

The two first met in 2011, when James would lend his voice to a feature for Logue’s band, UK melodic metal outfit Eden’s Curse, on the song “No Holy Man”. As years went by the two remained in touch, occasionally kicking the tires on the idea of working together on another project. But when Dream Theater performed in Glasgow during the late winter of 2020, LaBrie and Logue would run into each other at the airport – once again asking the question. But this time, armed with the knowledge that a drastic change in the world was all but imminent, LaBrie made the decision to set things in motion.

On the album, Logue plays acoustic rhythm guitar (both six & twelve string) and acoustic bass, while guitarist Marco Sfogli, who’s contributed on all of LaBrie’s solo albums since 2005’s ‘Elements of Persuasion’, handled the leads and solos. Logue recruited Eden’s Curse keyboardist Christian Pulkkinen to lend his playing on the record, while the suggestion to recruit James’s son Chance to play drums would also come from Paul. ‘Beautiful Shade of Grey’, as LaBrie describes it, was a title that only came to him once he identified the record’s two core themes throughout its track list. “A lot of these lyrics are dealing with the beauty of human beings, and a lot are dealing with the grey areas of the in between. You’re not exactly happy, but you’re not exactly sad, either.”

The record starts off (and ends) with the track “Devil In Drag”, which emerges as a wall of synthesizers and acoustic strumming before exploding into a full-blown ensemble. LaBrie expresses that the song was written about “someone who started out as a decent human being, but along the way lost touch with their roots – overtime becoming self-serving, narcissistic and devoid of principles or values.” Going on to say, “’Devil In Drag’ is written from the perspective of someone who’s known them all their life and, seeing them now, asking ‘what happened?’”

‘Beautiful Shade of Grey’ will be released as a Limited CD Digipak, 180g LP + CD & as Digital Album, with artwork by Thomas Ewerhard. Pre-order now here: https://jameslabrie.lnk.to/BeautifulShadeOfGrey

The full track-listing is as follows:

1.Devil In Drag
2.SuperNova Girl
3.Give And Take
4.Sunset Ruin
5.Hit Me Like A Brick
6.Wildflower
7.Conscience Calling
8.What I Missed
9.Am I Right
10.Ramble On
11.Devil In Drag (Electric Version)

Look out for more information in the coming months!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2967 on: March 18, 2022, 07:18:14 PM »
Ministro, there is no need to write Press Release at the start of your post. We get it. All of your posts are press releases.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2968 on: March 18, 2022, 07:35:09 PM »
Ministro, there is no need to write Press Release at the start of your post. We get it. All of your posts are press releases.

:lol You said what we've all been thinking! :lol

I'm convinced he works for Inside Out at this rate.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2969 on: March 18, 2022, 07:37:58 PM »

But.....it's the press release.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2970 on: March 18, 2022, 07:39:59 PM »

All kidding aside, I appreciate and respect the “two word” disclaimer—a writer giving credit (even to a press release) is a stand up move.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2971 on: March 18, 2022, 07:46:40 PM »

All kidding aside, I appreciate and respect the “two word” disclaimer—a writer giving credit (even to a press release) is a stand up move.

I think he started doing that after some of us pointed out that he wasn't doing that, and it seemed like a lot of his posts were just him reposting news from other sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). I typically at least put press releases and other info in quote blocks, and give a link if possible since I know some folks like to see the source of news, especially if some aren't keen on where news about bands typically comes from, or if they don't follow said band(s) on social media.

But yeah, it's good to know which posts are actual press releases and what not.

As for the new JLB album, I'm kind of on the fence about getting it. I got the last two but I'll be honest, I haven't really listened to them since I got them at the time of release, so I'm not sure I really want to drop $15-18 for another album I may or may n ot listen to more than a handful of times. There's already a lot of other great music coming out this year that I Know I will be spinning for weeks/months/years to come. Granted, I haven't listened to the new single, but I'm not sure it would change my mind either way. It might be an album where I stream it upon release and then decide if I want to get the CD later on, especially since there doesn't seem to be any special editions or pre-order incentives, like signed covers or postcards.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2972 on: March 18, 2022, 08:30:11 PM »
Devil in Drag is growing more on me after a few more listens. Really strong chorus and amazing solo as well. Gotta love Marco.
This initially seems like a hot take but it makes a lot of sense, at least when comparing his solo work with DT's work after Systematic Chaos. JLB's solo material has always been more focused on melody, and the vocals are essential to its sound IMO. While DT pays a lot of attention to their vocal lines and they can be incredible when they want them to be, it's not their main focus; they can do fantastic pieces of music without vocals. And let's not forget to mention James' input into his own solo work.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2973 on: March 18, 2022, 09:10:21 PM »
Not sure if this song would register with me if not for the vocalist. Imagine I will buy this to support the Pirate. I can't get in to those Mullmuzzler albums, but the last three have been pretty enjoyable. And I appreciate him shooting for something different and not just making part 3 of the last two albums.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2974 on: March 18, 2022, 09:41:23 PM »
Bummed that neither Matt Guillory nor Peter Wildoer are there anymore, specially Guillory who had been working with him since MullMuzzler. Does anybody know why he's no longer in the band? I'm a bit out of the loop.

I'm not sure anyone knows what happened.  My guess, when JLB cancelled his ProgPower headlining performance to put his focus on DT, it also delayed what I thought was those two were working together for another album and Matt likely just didn't want to work on JLB's schedule.  Once again, just my guess.

Not sure it makes the song groundbreaking, but that's exactly why I was kind of surprised and also why I enjoyed it.  Curious about the rest of the album now, more than I was before hearing the song.

I meant to emphasize *to me* because I was not expecting it. I thought it would either be very mellow acoustic or just end up being another rock/metal record with some acoustic.

I'm loving the direction so far.