Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 408649 times)

Offline frogprog

Re: James LaBrie Solo
« Reply #2870 on: June 11, 2021, 02:58:54 PM »
That was fun! I have always dug that song and JLB is so much better than Vince Neil EVER was. I could probably sing better than him now and I don't sing particularly well :rollin

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2871 on: June 11, 2021, 04:13:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=460AU9mYhiU

James' son band FALSET featuring James LaBrie - Kickstart My Heart ( Mötley Crüe Cover)

Jeez...this is pretty amazing. I honestly can't wait for the new DT...James sounds in top form.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2872 on: June 11, 2021, 04:19:05 PM »
Fun tune, nice job by JLB. Nice to see him just do something fun. All the Dream Theater stuff, and the crazy operatic notes that are expected from him have to get tedious. It was cool listening to him just have a go and sing something fun.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2873 on: June 11, 2021, 04:20:35 PM »
Fun tune, nice job by JLB. Nice to see him just do something fun. All the Dream Theater stuff, and the crazy operatic notes that are expected from him have to get tedious. It was cool listening to him just have a go and sing something fun.

I put this in The Cool Thread, but it'd be great if Dream Theater could loosen up and do a cover like this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #2874 on: June 11, 2021, 04:22:19 PM »
Loving the Kickstart cover! James sounds great. His son is a pretty good drummer!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2875 on: June 11, 2021, 05:17:01 PM »
For me, this has the same vibe of 'Viper King,' which was a personal highlight on D/T.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2876 on: June 11, 2021, 05:29:31 PM »
Vocals kinda reminds me James' Winter Rose days. Love it.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2877 on: June 11, 2021, 05:48:16 PM »
For me, this has the same vibe of 'Viper King,' which was a personal highlight on D/T.

I mean, it didn't really fit with the album, but as a b-side, Viper King is all kinds of awesome. Kickstart is indeed in that same vain.

I would love to see more B-sides, covers, etc..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2878 on: June 11, 2021, 07:34:13 PM »
I thought the same exact thing.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2879 on: June 11, 2021, 08:43:22 PM »
I would love to see more B-sides, covers, etc..

I would love to see better songs on their albums.  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2880 on: June 11, 2021, 08:52:12 PM »
I don't know, man. Their albums have been pretty good.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2881 on: June 11, 2021, 08:58:36 PM »
My comment was a big cheeky, hence the smiley. Yes, I have enjoyed the last few albums (even TA). I am just always going to want a solid collection of album tracks before I can begin concerning myself with non-album material.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline HOF

« Reply #2882 on: June 11, 2021, 10:41:19 PM »

James' son band FALSET featuring James LaBrie - Kickstart My Heart ( Mötley Crüe Cover)

I would never have guessed this was JLB singing if the video didn't say it was him. I wasn't sure it was actually him once the song started.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2883 on: June 12, 2021, 03:35:50 AM »
That was great!  :metal Great cover in general also.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2884 on: June 12, 2021, 07:35:14 AM »

I would never have guessed this was JLB singing if the video didn't say it was him. I wasn't sure it was actually him once the song started.

I don’t think that was. I think the band has a singer. James was (to my ears) doing some of the vocals. Not all of them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Trav86

« Reply #2885 on: June 12, 2021, 07:38:03 AM »
Is there anyone else who thinks the Mullmuzzler albums are the best of James’s solo career?

Maybe it’s just me.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2886 on: June 12, 2021, 07:58:45 AM »
Is there anyone else who thinks the Mullmuzzler albums are the best of James’s solo career?

Maybe it’s just me.
I don't know if I like these two more than Elements Of Persuasion, but I definitely love his first three solo albums.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2887 on: June 12, 2021, 08:00:50 AM »

Agreed—they were trading off lines.
I don’t think that was. I think the band has a singer. James was (to my ears) doing some of the vocals. Not all of them.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2888 on: June 12, 2021, 08:42:05 AM »

Ah, that makes more sense. Definitely were parts where it sounded more like him.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2889 on: June 12, 2021, 09:21:04 AM »
Same here, had a hard time figuring out if it was all James, half James or no James.

And speaking about the Mullmuzzler... yes, nothing against the latest two - let's consider Elements of Persuasion a bridge between the first two and the last two - but those Mullmuzzler albums were one of a kind and full of great songs, it was the style best suited for him.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2890 on: June 12, 2021, 09:25:31 AM »
Same here, had a hard time figuring out if it was all James, half James or no James.

And speaking about the Mullmuzzler... yes, nothing against the latest two - let's consider Elements of Persuasion a bridge between the first two and the last two - but those Mullmuzzler albums were one of a kind and full of great songs, it was the style best suited for him.

I agree. I take the Mullmuzzler albums all day long over anything that came after them.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2891 on: June 12, 2021, 09:28:21 AM »
I also appreciated how the Mullmuzzler albums showed off more of a classic/hard rock side of James’ voice. Shores of Avalon is good example of that. A Simple Man is another that I think of as one of James’ best vocal performances.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2892 on: June 12, 2021, 10:42:58 AM »

Maybe it’s just me.

I'm a bit picky about production so I don't think so. At least, from the first one, given that's the one I listened to most recently. It's weird, given that other albums Terry Brown mixed tend to sound way more polished. I also think the material is... hit and miss, to say the least. To me, Beelzebubba is possibly the worst song James has ever sang on and a lot of the longer tracks don't seem like they deserve their length. The following albums may have been more uniform in style but at least they were more refined.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2893 on: June 12, 2021, 10:47:31 AM »

Maybe it’s just me.

I'm a bit picky about production so I don't think so. At least, from the first one, given that's the one I listened to most recently. It's weird, given that other albums Terry Brown mixed tend to sound way more polished. I also think the material is... hit and miss, to say the least. To me, Beelzebubba is possibly the worst song James has ever sang on and a lot of the longer tracks don't seem like they deserve their length. The following albums may have been more uniform in style but at least they were more refined.

I've listened to both this morning (for the first time in a while), and I think I prefer the production on the first album. Feels more organic, drums sound less big and boxy. Neither are top shelf productions (as I recall they were mostly recorded remotely in home studios and the individual parts emailed back in), and the songwriting is sketchy in places. Between the two there is probably an albums' worth of really strong tracks though.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2894 on: June 12, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »

Maybe it’s just me.
I don't know if I like these two more than Elements Of Persuasion, but I definitely love his first three solo albums.
I'm in the same boat. The first MM was a bit spotty - I agree with whoever said that Beelzebubba is the worst track. But I'm not a fan of Trent Gardner's work in the first place, so I guess that's no surprise (altho I didn't mind As a Man Thinks or the track on MM2 as much). But I like the other tracks and Elements of Persuasion was great pretty much all the way through. Tried his fourth album, but the cookie monster vocals ruined it for me, even if only on half the tracks, and I never even bothered with his last album.

I take the Mullmuzzler albums all day long over anything that came after them.
Don't you like Elements of Persuasion?

On a separate note, I happened to be reading an interview in an old issue of the Images and Words fanzine, which was done in August 1998, and JL was asked about doing a solo album. Kinda interesting to see what he said, and how the direction he went in just a year later was completely different. Here's the excerpt:
I think I want to wait for something like that. I’d like to get a little more under my belt with Dream Theater and then branch out when we take a little hiatus later on in our careers. I think at that point, I’d like to be able to use the fact that I’ll be hopefully better known, and be able to get the better players.

It’s kind of wacky, but at this point, the kind of album I would like to do has a lot to do with what I’m listening to right now. I mentioned Gino Vanelli, but I’ve been listening to a lot of Sting as well, and George Michael. Basically, I think it would be on the complete other end of the spectrum. If I were to do a solo album, it probably wouldn’t have much to do with Dream Theater. Even though Dream Theater incorporated a lot of different styles of music and writing. I would like to do more of the pop type thing.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online nick_z

« Reply #2895 on: June 12, 2021, 07:17:31 PM »

Maybe it’s just me.

I can't quite say that, as I'm not very familiar with James' solo work past the Mullmuzzler albums - I think I've only listened to a few songs here and there. I do, however, enjoy those two Mullmuzzler records, and James' singing on them...maybe the second a smidge more. I sort of remember thinking how much I enjoyed the vocal melodies in Blind Faith on Six Degrees...especially the pre-chorus...and how they reminded me of the vibes in some of the more melodic songs in Mullmuzzler 2...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2896 on: June 12, 2021, 07:19:15 PM »
I take the Mullmuzzler albums all day long over anything that came after them.
Don't you like Elements of Persuasion?

No, I don't remember liking it. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2897 on: June 13, 2021, 03:28:44 AM »
Pretty sure EOP made my top 50 and SI I think was somewhere between 50-60.  I can see why people don't like EOP and it was a gower, but I loved hearing James in this setting, and the arrival of Marco is fantastic.  I like the modern feels too and the modern riffing on some tunes.  The ballads are wonderful too.  Just a great album.

These days though, I think SI would now rate higher than EOP.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2898 on: June 13, 2021, 01:48:53 PM »
Static Impulse is where it's at, great record all around.  :metal :metal :metal

The Mullmuzzler records were solid but didn't have much staying power for me. And contrary to Setlist Scotty I think Beelzebubba is one of the best tracks.

EOP was better but still didn't fully grab me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline HOF

« Reply #2899 on: June 13, 2021, 02:12:14 PM »
It’s cheesy as heck, but I actually think As A Man Thinks is a fun song.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2900 on: June 13, 2021, 05:08:42 PM »
I enjoy Mullmuzzler 2 over Keep It To Yourself.

I do like the way both albums have a sort of late 90's sound to it, in the terms of what styles of music were around at the time, more so Keep It To Yourself.

It wasn't until the label changed the name to James LaBrie when the sound began to lean to more metal. I think, it's just what was selling at the time, and having LaBrie sing songs closer to the Dream Theater style would sell more records as well. Wouldn't it be funny if the label itself was responsible for the Octavarium album leak fiasco, as a means to utilize and take advantage of downloading to draw attention to how similar LaBrie's solo album is to Dream Theaters sound (The intro to Crucify begins like A Change of Seasons, which I find interesting. And funnily enough, also sounds a bit like the intro to Untethered Angel). Which is unlike his past 2 albums.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2901 on: June 13, 2021, 06:16:34 PM »
I tried to like those Mullmuzzler albums, but just don't. Been ages since I gave them a listen, maybe will give them another chance. I loved EoP from the first listen, and highly enjoy the last two offerings. I am sure some of it can be due to me liking James, both his vocals and he just seems like a cool guy. If it was some random band with people I'd never heard of or had any attachment to, I might feel differently.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #2902 on: June 14, 2021, 07:40:16 AM »
Static Impulse was my very first metal album (Euphoric was my first metal song) and for that reason no album I will ever listen to will top it. It remains the pinnacle of metal to me and something I still listen to everyday.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2903 on: June 14, 2021, 09:07:55 AM »
I tried to like those Mullmuzzler albums, but just don't. Been ages since I gave them a listen, maybe will give them another chance. I loved EoP from the first listen, and highly enjoy the last two offerings.

This is how I feel.  I can't get into Mullmuzzler the couple times I tried many years ago.  I don't think it's for me, but I love his latest two releases.  I probably rate SI a bit higher than EOP but those are my two favorites from JLB.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2904 on: June 14, 2021, 10:34:05 AM »

I tried to like those Mullmuzzler albums, but just don't. Been ages since I gave them a listen, maybe will give them another chance. I loved EoP from the first listen, and highly enjoy the last two offerings.

This is how I feel.  I can't get into Mullmuzzler the couple times I tried many years ago.  I don't think it's for me, but I love his latest two releases.  I probably rate SI a bit higher than EOP but those are my two favorites from JLB.

It's worth pointing out that, unlike the later albums, the Mullmuzzler albums feature multiple writers.  Matt Guillory is still the principle songwriter, but there are also a few songs each by the Shadow Gallery guys, and Trent Gardner.  Personally, I think the Trent Gardner songs are, by far, the weakest and tend to skip them.  If you feel like giving the albums another shot you might focus in on songs by one writer/team at a time and see if some of them strike you as more up your alley than others.