Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 408628 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2835 on: February 02, 2021, 05:57:49 PM »
He would look cool on the stage with his current/real hair color. White hair in the right person looks badass.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 09:38:26 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2836 on: February 02, 2021, 06:04:18 PM »
Jon Schaffer looks better grey. Might look even better with his orange jump suit.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2837 on: February 02, 2021, 07:26:34 PM »
He looked... tired(?) in the videos I saw from the last tour. I think he looks great here! Go, James, Go!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2838 on: February 02, 2021, 07:27:42 PM »
Agreed, and please lay off the hair dye. That goes for all of them! Except Jordan. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2839 on: February 03, 2021, 07:11:59 AM »
He would look cool on the stage with his current/real hair color. White hair in the right person looks badass.

Agreed; I think the black hair dye more often than not makes one look tired and drawn and pale.   Think of basically any of the 80's hair metal Hollywood vampires now.   :)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2840 on: February 03, 2021, 07:21:15 AM »

Agreed; I think the black hair dye more often than not makes one look tired and drawn and pale.   Think of basically any of the 80's hair metal Hollywood vampires now.   :)

Dyed Hair: Tries to look young
Face: Can't not look old
Boiler: See "Face"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: James LaBrie Solo
« Reply #2841 on: February 03, 2021, 10:26:50 AM »
Modified the thread name, since Impermanent Resonance came out 100 years ago.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #2842 on: February 03, 2021, 10:53:10 AM »
Let the hair go gray/white. The jet black hair dye is horrible on so many older musicians.

Anyway, excited for a new JLB release!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2843 on: February 03, 2021, 12:15:03 PM »
Do we already know the timeframe of release? I can't imagine it being too close to the new DT album, and LTE is coming out soon - maybe this summer?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2844 on: February 04, 2021, 02:59:52 AM »
Damn james is looking badass with the grey hair.
I miss his blonde/non-black hair look, maybe it's time to revisit it?

Also, i've had the chance to hear James' guest on the new Evergrey album, and it's really good, look forward to it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2845 on: February 04, 2021, 05:50:51 PM »
I think for older people their natural hair color (most likely grey) almost always looks better. That too applies on James here. And he looks infinitely better here than on their latest bluray.

Anyways, I am looking forward to new material.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2846 on: February 04, 2021, 06:43:54 PM »
I'd trade my bald spot for any fucking colour truthfully haha.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2847 on: February 05, 2021, 01:02:17 AM »

Same here, or better: I don't need to trade, I'm 41, I still have all my hair, but I'm just gray-ish and have been for a long time. I'm not totally gray, I still have dark hair - it's just that the gray is here and there and evident. They could be green as long as I still keep my hair.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2848 on: February 05, 2021, 05:22:18 AM »

Embrace it. Enjoy it. Be the baldness. Chicks dig it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2849 on: April 02, 2021, 05:20:33 PM »
Don't know if this was posted/discussed elsewhere, but James is one of the guest vocalists on the new album by Timo Tolkki's Avalon, "The Enigma Birth": https://www.facebook.com/timotolkkisavalon/posts/3072863416270011

Tracklist:
1. The Enigma Birth feat. PelleK
2. I Just Collapse feat. Caterina Nix and Chaos Magic
3. Memories feat. Caterina Nix, Brittney Slayes
4. Master Of Hell feat. Raphael Mendes
5. Beautiful Lie feat. James Labrie
6. Truth feat. Jake E
7. Another Day feat. Marina La Torraca
8. Beauty And War feat. Raphael Mendes
9. Dreaming feat. Fabio Lione
10. The Fire And The Sinner feat. Jake E, Brittney Slayes
11. Time feat. Marina La Torraca
12. Without Fear feat. Fabio Lione
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2850 on: April 02, 2021, 05:57:40 PM »
Raphael Mendes aka Bruce Dickinson!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2851 on: April 02, 2021, 07:22:10 PM »
Raphael Mendes aka Bruce Dickinson!

Good for him!

The last album was actually pretty good and a nice return to form for Timo so I look forward to this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2852 on: April 03, 2021, 11:59:24 AM »
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I would like to hear JLB do something outside of the metal or prog metal sphere. I like that first album (Mulmuzzler) he did, was a cool, really eclectic mix, then his discography sort of fell into the prog/tech metal thing. It always feels safe.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2853 on: April 03, 2021, 12:23:37 PM »
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I would like to hear JLB do something outside of the metal or prog metal sphere. I like that first album (Mulmuzzler) he did, was a cool, really eclectic mix, then his discography sort of fell into the prog/tech metal thing. It always feels safe.

I mean by all accounts, that's pretty much what we're going to get with the next solo album, given that it apparently has an acoustic focus.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2854 on: April 03, 2021, 12:55:41 PM »

I complete agree, and am excited for his next release for this very reason.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2855 on: April 03, 2021, 04:39:53 PM »
i'm looking forward too to the acoustic album and yes, the debut and more generally the two Mullmuzzler albums are awesome. I love the other three albums to his name and they're full of great songs, but the Mullmuzzler records were something special and diverse. Static Impulse and Imperfect Resonance could have been twin albums, or a double one, since the style is basically the same.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2856 on: April 04, 2021, 07:57:51 AM »
Well, OK, an acoustic album can be good. JLB's vocals are very suited for softer songs.

Acoustic albums by rock artists often come off as "look, I'm only playing an acoustic guitar, so different!" yet the music is essentially the same, just not electric. I assume an artist like JLB with his background, would not just be playing acoustic DT/JLB solo music.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2857 on: April 04, 2021, 08:34:02 AM »
Well, OK, an acoustic album can be good. JLB's vocals are very suited for softer songs.

Acoustic albums by rock artists often come off as "look, I'm only playing an acoustic guitar, so different!" yet the music is essentially the same, just not electric. I assume an artist like JLB with his background, would not just be playing acoustic DT/JLB solo music.

IIRC, they said this album is inspired by the acoustic side of bands like Led Zep, Pink Floyd and Deep Purple. It's also a completely different list of people from the previous albums (the only one coming back is Marco Sfogli, but he isn't writing it either). It's basically a colaboration between James and Paul Logue from Eden's Curse :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2858 on: April 05, 2021, 04:06:42 PM »
I want to see JLB to do something in the veins of a Broadway/Musical (something in the veins of The Greatest Showman movie, not the Astonishing) Soundtrack.  I think he can make it work given his efforts on The Theater Equation DVD.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2859 on: April 05, 2021, 04:24:19 PM »
I want to see JLB to do something in the veins of a Broadway/Musical (something in the veins of The Greatest Showman movie, not the Astonishing) Soundtrack.  I think he can make it work given his efforts on The Theater Equation DVD.

I don’t think it’s great but you can check out Leonardo: The Absolute Man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2860 on: April 05, 2021, 04:41:41 PM »
^^ Ooooo.  All right, I can give this a listen when I have the chance.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2861 on: April 05, 2021, 06:32:58 PM »
Check out Frameshift Unweaving the Rainbow. While it is not a musical, he sings in very different styles.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2862 on: April 06, 2021, 12:32:52 PM »
Check out Frameshift Unweaving the Rainbow. While it is not a musical, he sings in very different styles.

Fantastic album.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2863 on: April 11, 2021, 05:25:12 AM »
From Paul Logue’s Facebook:
Happy Sunday! I’m starting the day off with a HUGE smile on my face, listening to some killer mixes by Dennis Ward of the new album that James Labrie and I wrote together. We have been pretty quiet of late but that just means we’ve been super busy on finishing up the album. We are super close and lots of exciting news to follow! Enjoy your day! 🤘🍎🏴‍☠️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇨🇦

#labrieandlogue #jameslabrie #jameslabriesoloalbum #dreamtheater #edenscurse

- with James Labrie, Chance LaBrie, Christian Pulkkinen & Marco Sfogli.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2864 on: April 11, 2021, 05:48:41 AM »
I wonder when it will come out, surely they won't want this and DT15 to step on each other's toes.... maybe this album in August and DT15 in September / early October? if it doesn't come out before DT15, I would assume it would been pushed at least around Xmas, if not early 2022....

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2865 on: April 11, 2021, 06:28:30 AM »
I'm more wondering what the name of the project would be. Usually, the combinations of the names are generic. However, this one might be an exception. LaBrie/Logue sounds pretty cool.  :tup

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2866 on: April 11, 2021, 09:24:34 AM »
I wonder when it will come out, surely they won't want this and DT15 to step on each other's toes.... maybe this album in August and DT15 in September / early October? if it doesn't come out before DT15, I would assume it would been pushed at least around Xmas, if not early 2022....

Since this wrapped recordings before DT15 and it isn't as big of a release as with DT, I'd say it gets released earlier. Hopefully in the next couple months.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2867 on: April 11, 2021, 10:49:17 AM »
Had to look up who Paul Logue is but always excited to hear what James is up to.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2868 on: June 11, 2021, 10:54:34 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=460AU9mYhiU

James' son band FALSET featuring James LaBrie - Kickstart My Heart ( Mötley Crüe Cover)
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2869 on: June 11, 2021, 02:38:52 PM »
Sounds good.  :tup  I don't know about the "reimagined" in the description though.  Other than the outro, it sounds like they just played the original pretty straight. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."